As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mr. Robot]: Sex, Lies, and Video Codecs

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Well...that was depressing. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Yep, I am so pissed right now.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I think my on demand cut off the last few minutes. Can someone tell me what (if anything) happens after
    The coworker recognizes the two fsociety people on tv

I think that's the last thing that I saw happen but I could be forgetting a scene or two.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I think my on demand cut off the last few minutes. Can someone tell me what (if anything) happens after
    The coworker recognizes the two fsociety people on tv

I think that's the last thing that I saw happen but I could be forgetting a scene or two.

You missed a lot. Huge spoiler to follow. Honestly I’d recommend seeking out the final act rather than reading my spoiler
    The Dark Army kill Mobley and Trenton, but set it up to make it look like they were responsible for the terror attacks (along with a new one they were “planning”) and killed themselves as the FBI closed in. FBI guy in Dark Army’s control tells a disbelieving Dom that he considers the perpetrators as caught/killed. Dom stares despondently at Whiterose name on her suspect board, saying she believes Whiterose may actually get away with it.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    This show does emotional gutpunches, black comedy, and creeping dread better than anything since Breaking Bad

and it gives BB a run for its money

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    God damn. What an episode..
    the Iran blaming was also.. Way too close to reality, damn, and obviously there must be a image in a headscarf on TV.

I don't believe Elliot will take this lying down though.

I think we might get to see, and this is purely speculation, Elliot 'team up' with Mr Robot to get a good punch on against whiterose / the dark army.

So I don't get what that Irving scene was to accomplish?

Whiterose should know Elliot and especially his Mr Robot side are absolutely not the type to put up with something because it looks like the natural order of things - that they are willing to try and go against that is pretty much the whole point of the series.

So either, whiterose is miscalculating Elliot as 'done and manipulated' after what happened, or there's more to come.

It might totally be miscalculation, though, they've fill shown that arrogance might be one of the weaknesses of this character.

Also really glad that Dom is as smart as she is. Maybe she ends up some sort of ally?

Great fucking stuff, the episode
    hit like a gut punch, but somehow I want more, more, more.

Also literally laughed out loud at the musical cue at the beginning.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    And man, this totally could be
    a series finale. Like... Wow. So much resolution. And the series is far from done!

Something similar happened in season one. I thought 5/9 was going to be the series finale, a cliff hanger, then they fucking did it in the episode before the finale, and the last episode actually had the guts to deal with some of the consequences and show us what's going very wrong, and use that as a much more powerful and gut wrenching luff hanger.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    And there's still!
    Trenton's fucking dead girl switch email!

Wonder where it'll go to?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    when everything has gone way too weird, an episode like this one is a welcome change
    that last scene with the door was all the feels

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Wow you think this was not a weird episode? I loved the episode but this one had a lot of odd things going on.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wow you think this was not a weird episode? I loved the episode but this one had a lot of odd things going on.

Honestly I saw it both ways, it was a different kind of weird as a break from the chaos, which went along with the theme of the 'wipe down'. This show is pretty great at making you forget the traps before they spring.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

well this is the weirdest show of all time so there's some of that to be expected

I just mean that
    Instead of intricate plots to alter civilization as we know it, dark forces clashing over who will control the rubble, dysfunctional psychosis and layers of betrayal

we get some heartfelt character development, a return to the origins of our beleageured protagonist, a grappling with the personal consequences of the events he's set in motion; a neatly-told one episode arc of despair, small acts of redemption, the return of hope, and people just being human

I mean it's all a clear setup to refresh our memories and give us a reason to feel some kind of outrage, or grief, or (dare I hope?) triumph in the season finale. But this was exactly the kind of return to roots and settling of emotional debts that I didn't know I wanted after a series of ever-ratcheting tension, paranoia, and heartbreak

I can't wait for the finale but I'm afraid of it

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    This show is just so strange, special, great, in so many ways.

And damn... Rami Malek is a fucking amazing actor. Absolutely kills this role that is so, so hard to play. Wow.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    And yeah, I absolutely share the feeling. I can't wait for the finale, but I'm sure it will be disturbing, unbalancing, moving on a very basic human level.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I've been avoiding this thread just in case some inspired poster figures out the twist (not that there seems to be in this season in the conventional way at least), as this happened last year!

But I have to say this is probably one of the best series of television I have watched since The Wire.

Solid plot, wonderful acting and characters you believe in, despite the craziness. On top of that each episode is so beautiful and we'll directed.

It's my current thing that I try to persuade everyone around me to watch!

• Options
    Remember what I said about this show knowing how to evoke creeping dread?
    This was an episode full of it. The whole thing front to back. I held my breath for what felt like minutes-long stretches. I was afraid for everyone and expected the worst

Well there's still an episode left for that to happen. Someone hold me.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I, uh, wow...

Newest episode:
    Darlene and Dom was a dream pairing of mine!

I also kinda think dom is in on it. She had suspicions that something's wrong for a long time now, I bet Darlene spilled the beans and she added 6 and 7. I'm guessing they're listening in on Dom's boas.

As for Elliot / Whiterose, I hope Elliot planned for their usual contingency of scorched earth..

Next episode is going to be wild I bet!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Straight from the source!

Season 4 is a go!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Season finale:
    That was a heartbreaking episode in so many ways. And yet I still got the feeling it pulled a punch or two.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    In the post credits scene
    it was weird to see Shayla’s killer being brought back into the fold 2 years later. It seems like a remnant of a different version of the show where everything wasn’t as focused on the main plot and there was time for a mini-arc. Wasn’t expecting it to tie back in.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So I think this is the correct thread? I hate to dredge it up from the dead but season 4 has been going for a bit now and I really need to talk about it. What does everyone think so far? I think its been pretty strong, I didnt really enjoy most of this episode(4) until near the end.

The metaphors in this last episode were so heavy, that I am super confused by the last episode(EP 4).
    the lost in the woods is obviously metaphor for elliot following him despite neither knowing the path and it leading in a circle.

What I don't understand is we get a scene where he accepts his death and walks off into the night. But we get a scene of him finding something? The whole blue glow thing really threw me.
    (spoiler) for prediction)
    If the congo project/'shipped product' is just
    galts gulch
    , I am going to be super disappointed in this show. Even with the reveal in the first season, they did a really good job at juking expectations which I really loved. I feel like this is doing the same here.

I thought at one point the whole feud between white rose and the ecorp CEO was going to be
    he mocked/outed him in college 30-40 years prior and this whole campaign was revenge and I was going to be super pissed. But now we see he's in the inner circle at the top of the conspiracy.
    I feel like I need to really rewatch the series to figure out what the whole conspiracy is actually doing.

edit: cleaned up the spoiler tags, sorry about that

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm a little disappointed in this season, believable characters and context have mutated into something that's just way over the top.

I don't hate it, but this is not the note I would have liked to see them go out on.

(Based on that first spoiler tag I must be only be on Ep 3?)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    galts gulch

It seems like Whiterose is:
    Kingpin in Into the Spiderverse. The machines even look really similar.

• Options
    LeTwig wrote: »
    galts gulch

!
    When did we see the machines? I don't have even a rough notion of what her project is, did I miss something this season or just forget?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    galts gulch

!
    When did we see the machines? I don't have even a rough notion of what her project is, did I miss something this season or just forget?

They showed it last season, and you got a quick flash of it at the beginning of this season.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

When I think about it, currently (ep 4) how does white rose know
    elliot is even alive? the team that made him OD would have reported back right? They weren't the CEO's personal team, they had a message from white rose. Why wouldn't they have just sent a team to kill him instead afterwards? They know hes super dangerous, and that his plan included their lawyer, thats just plain A->B logically, when the lawyer dies and then immediately Elliot is in the honeypot. he literally says hes going after the bank
    galts gulch

I agree, also the machine(location) is
    under the powerplant that made angelas parent sick, and probably elliots too? I thought it was in the congo because of the mine, but its clear the congo was because they needed REM for the machine.

They tend not to directly show imagery thats inaccurate, so hes making a particle collider in NY? I hope this doesnt turn out into 'it was never important and we wont explain what it was'. They have been working on this thing since the 90's? I almost wonder if its not a... for lack of a better term, mandella machine to split into a timeline so he can save white roses' love. But like, that is waaaaaaaaaaaay out there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

elliot is even alive? the team that made him OD would have reported back right? They weren't the CEO's personal team, they had a message from white rose. Why wouldn't they have just sent a team to kill him instead afterwards? They know hes super dangerous, and that his plan included their lawyer, thats just plain A->B logically, when the lawyer dies and then immediately Elliot is in the honeypot. he literally says hes going after the bank
    galts gulch

under the powerplant that made angelas parent sick, and probably elliots too? I thought it was in the congo because of the mine, but its clear the congo was because they needed REM for the machine.

They tend not to directly show imagery thats inaccurate, so hes making a particle collider in NY? I hope this doesnt turn out into 'it was never important and we wont explain what it was'. They have been working on this thing since the 90's? I almost wonder if its not a... for lack of a better term, mandella machine to split into a timeline so he can save white roses' love. But like, that is waaaaaaaaaaaay out there.
    I keep wondering if Whiterose believes reality is a simulation, and that this is her way of trying to hack it

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

galts gulch

I wouldn't take it off the table.
    The reason I'm leery of S4 is it seemed to make some high level plot shifts for no apparent reason, including 'WR created the Illuminati, and did so for one specific reason.' I would assume they did this to accommodate something pretty fantastic (in the classic sense). They then dedicated an episode to flesh out her backstory and chose to present us with her dead lover as the only thing we've seen her care about beyond the acquisition of power. So, a doomsday device to avenge him? A transdimensional portal to replace him? A Lazarus chamber to revive him? None seem terribly out of scope now.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

A couple reasons
    I think the team that OD'd Elliot was totally in the employ of the CEO, not directly to White Rose. So they did the OD by default and then reported it to the CEO, who was like "oh fuck, revive him!". If they were White Rose's men, why would they ever revive him on the CEO's orders?

So White Rose probably has no idea that Elliot stumbled into the honey pot.

Which means she doesn't want him dead yet.

Which is also why it's so important that they kill the Dark Army soldier in the van this last episode. If he reported back, then White Rose would want all of them dead, and there's no real way out of that.

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »

A couple reasons
    I think the team that OD'd Elliot was totally in the employ of the CEO, not directly to White Rose. So they did the OD by default and then reported it to the CEO, who was like "oh fuck, revive him!". If they were White Rose's men, why would they ever revive him on the CEO's orders?

So White Rose probably has no idea that Elliot stumbled into the honey pot.

Which means she doesn't want him dead yet.

Which is also why it's so important that they kill the Dark Army soldier in the van this last episode. If he reported back, then White Rose would want all of them dead, and there's no real way out of that.

She may not have even wanted him dead just for stumbling into the honeypot; not before the package was secure, and not without making him watch Darling Darlene die.

That whole bit with the Santa was pretty great.

• Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Last season spoiler
    Whiterose mentioned hacking time. I don't think that was a metaphor. I think she is 100% planning to either go back or bring her love forward.

• Options
    One thing I wouldn't put past White Rose
    The device could just be a doomsday device to either destroy the planet, or destroy humanity, or destroy most of humanity other than the Dark Army.

Or it could be a true quantum computer able to crack cryptography, which would be more in theme with the show. They made a big deal at one point about the world switching over to crypto currencies.

• Options
    One thing I wouldn't put past White Rose
    The device could just be a doomsday device to either destroy the planet, or destroy humanity, or destroy most of humanity other than the Dark Army.

Or it could be a true quantum computer able to crack cryptography, which would be more in theme with the show. They made a big deal at one point about the world switching over to crypto currencies.
    That would be in line with "hacking time," but would not require this Illuminati business, and that will frustrate me.

A quantum code breaker would have fit perfectly well into a world where WR and Price were just two of many independent powers using the world as their plaything.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Holy shit that was a:
    really fucking tense heist episode. I really thought Elliot's goose was cooked a few times there. :bigfrown: I couldn't help but cheer him on during his escape run. :D

So little dialogue in this episode (4x05) too. The long silences really built up the atmosphere around Elliot's trauma/PTSD.
    And I had no idea Photoshop could do that thing now. Is that a real feature, extruding a 3D model from a 2D image? I mostly use GIMP.
    I continue to love the attention to details in this show, as an IT/info-sec nerd it's awesome. :cool:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    That last episode was really, really good. Like, one of the best they've done. Wouldn't be surprised to see it win an Emmy.
    Also, I'm pretty sure if you look at the last line before the silence and the first line that breaks it, they are something like "You don't have to talk" and "We should talk now"

I feel bad for people that gave up on this show in earlier seasons, but the seasons have all been pretty different so I kinda get it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've been recording this season but haven't watched any yet because I haven't felt mentally in a space where I would enjoy it.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    a
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Holy shit that was a:
    really fucking tense heist episode. I really thought Elliot's goose was cooked a few times there. :bigfrown: I couldn't help but cheer him on during his escape run. :D

So little dialogue in this episode (4x05) too. The long silences really built up the atmosphere around Elliot's trauma/PTSD.
    And I had no idea Photoshop could do that thing now. Is that a real feature, extruding a 3D model from a 2D image? I mostly use GIMP.
    I continue to love the attention to details in this show, as an IT/info-sec nerd it's awesome. :cool:

This is a high tech version of something you can basically do with melted gummi bears. I think the old techtv show 'the screen savers' showed it off ~20 years ago. It probably actively takes longer to do what they did than the analog method. I guess they could have a script to do most of the extrapolation in photoshop, but it would still need a ton of cleanup. 3d printing takes forever too. a nicer printer might have been able to do that in 20 minutes'ish. Beyond that, it only works on certain types of scanners, nicer ones you cant fool with this but I forget why, if it needs body heat or also sees blood vessels or something. Maybe conductivity?

I liked the episode, it only had to strain to keep the silence going a couple of times. I got sick of this 'trick' after the xfiles episode where they tried to do it dialogless. It was abysmal for a ton of reasons and unnecessary.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    That last episode was really, really good. Like, one of the best they've done. Wouldn't be surprised to see it win an Emmy.
    Also, I'm pretty sure if you look at the last line before the silence and the first line that breaks it, they are something like "You don't have to talk" and "We should talk now"

I feel bad for people that gave up on this show in earlier seasons, but the seasons have all been pretty different so I kinda get it.

Latest episode:
    As a testament to how tense it was my GF didn't even notice they weren't talking. When I brought it up after the episode ended she just got this shocked look on her face.

A few minutes after the "we don't have to talk about it" line I caught on to what was happening and was watching each scene seeing how they set-up each scenario for talking. And they even threw in random moments where you would think they would need to have talking and then throw another curveball to prevent it. Was really cool. And as soon as what's his face showed up at the end I just knew it was going to end on a line like that but even then it was so good seeing how it was actually delivered.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Darlene isnt a violent psychopath but
    man she had nothing to lose by trying to waste those 3 when they showed up. They still have no use for her alive if she isnt going to talk and they seem ok with that. Now it comes down to having to wait at a place elliot will look for her at (and that doesnt require her alive). I guess they are in a rush to get elliot to get him to White Rose though, so *shrug*. This seems more like plot armor than anything.

The other play is finding out fbi agent has a use for them still, and actually holding her hostage instead. But I see that as they would think of it as a logistical inconvenience than a stop sign. It's clear they are going to make her pay, hostage your way out and get the agent into witness protection and hope they can save the mother before the van gets to the mother?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That was a pretty chilling episode. Depictions of suicide attempts still make me feel uneasy... :(

Poor Elliot, getting abducted and forced into stranger's vehicles on a regular basis. :lol: