As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Ah ok, yeah it will be reset. Unless there is more story to tell there.

Finished the Simpsons, it fell flat as usual. As soon as they focused on jerkass Homer I knew that Marge would sacrifice her success for him, but it's such a small scale change relatively I don't know why they didn't run with Mayor marge for a few episodes, it's not like there is any life left in Quimby or home body Marge.

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of network mandate that they arent allowed to make any changes to the setup anymore. There's no life left in the show at all, and hasnt been for years. You're lucky if you can get a few chuckles out of each new episode. But it's a cultural icon and remains strong in the ratings, so it's not going anywhere.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Finished the Simpsons, it fell flat as usual. As soon as they focused on jerkass Homer I knew that Marge would sacrifice her success for him, but it's such a small scale change relatively I don't know why they didn't run with Mayor marge for a few episodes, it's not like there is any life left in Quimby or home body Marge.

...Marge propping up her mayoral polls by humiliating Homer in public repeatedly and then feeling bad about it is "jerkass Homer?"

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of network mandate that they arent allowed to make any changes to the setup anymore. There's no life left in the show at all, and hasnt been for years. You're lucky if you can get a few chuckles out of each new episode. But it's a cultural icon and remains strong in the ratings, so it's not going anywhere.

It's literally Al Jean doing that. He's proud of it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    What an ass.

It would do so much good for that show to shake up the status quo each season.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    What an ass.

It would do so much good for that show to shake up the status quo each season.

He is responsible for every problem the modern show has . He's coasting and brags about Emmys "he" won to cover that.
    Like I think they just hired some female writers this season? That's all on him too.

• Options
    edited November 2017

[citation needed]

Edit: Hell, with minimal effort I found Al Jean talking about the episode where Smithers finally came out. http://ew.com/article/2016/04/08/simpsons-smithers-coming-out-episode-al-jean/

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Double post, sorry.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Not sure about the latest Family Guy. Any comeuppance to Brian is good, but it bugs me that he never seems to get why he's being punished.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

[citation needed]

Edit: Hell, with minimal effort I found Al Jean talking about the episode where Smithers finally came out. http://ew.com/article/2016/04/08/simpsons-smithers-coming-out-episode-al-jean/

You mean the episode where he didn't come out to Burns at all at the end so nothing changed ?

Touche

• Options
    edited November 2017

[citation needed]

You mean the episode where he didn't come out to Burns at all at the end so nothing changed ?

Touche

Still curious where Al Jean said he mandated no changes to the show's setup.

Edit: Come to think of it, Patty came out as lesbian under Jean's watch.

cloudeagle on
  • Options

[citation needed]

Touche

I always thought that was weird, unlike Smithers they didnt really imply her being gay during the shows early days, she was just portrayed as basically asexual as an opposite to Selma.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

[citation needed]

Touche

I always thought that was weird, unlike Smithers they didnt really imply her being gay during the shows early days, she was just portrayed as basically asexual as an opposite to Selma.

They were both Macgyversexual.

But who isn't?

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I mean, most cartoons don't have changes and just reset after episodes. . Its just part of the medium.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

...Marge propping up her mayoral polls by humiliating Homer in public repeatedly and then feeling bad about it is "jerkass Homer?"

They introduced jerkass Homer to sway her mayoral ratings, so she then felt bad about that, and so story reset. It's been done 600 times.

• Options
    edited November 2017

They introduced jerkass Homer to sway her mayoral ratings, so she then felt bad about that, and so story reset. It's been done 600 times.

It has?

Edit: A Google search for the terms "simpsons marge humiliates homer" isn't pulling up anything useful.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I mean, most cartoons don't have changes and just reset after episodes. . Its just part of the medium.

Yeah, but thats a remnant of network syndication when shows had to be able to air in any order without causing confusion. It shouldnt still be an issue today

• Options

[citation needed]

Touche

It's in a DVD commentary. I'm not digging through them to find it. He basically says his goal is to return everything to status quo then he says the only character fans are upset he reset was Sober Barney

• Options

[citation needed]

Touche

It's in a DVD commentary. I'm not digging through them to find it. He basically says his goal is to return everything to status quo then he says the only character fans are upset he reset was Sober Barney

....that's a joke. A very common joke. That's what classic sitcoms are known for doing. (Much less so in the last decade, but still.) Hell, the Simpsons have referenced that multiple times.

In actuality, the vast majority of what little continuity the Simpsons has was instituted during the Jean era.

• Options

[citation needed]

Touche

....that's a joke. A very common joke. That's what classic sitcoms are known for doing. (Much less so in the last decade, but still.) Hell, the Simpsons have referenced that multiple times.

In actuality, the vast majority of what little continuity the Simpsons has was instituted during the Jean era.

Dude I know your stance on this let's just drop it

• Options

[citation needed]

Touche

Dude I know your stance on this let's just drop it

By "my stance" you mean "bringing up the fact that Jean actually has changed continuity during his time as showrunner?" Okay.

• Options

It has?

Edit: A Google search for the terms "simpsons marge humiliates homer" isn't pulling up anything useful.

I'm not trying to argue with you Cloud, but Marge sacrifices her dreams/happiness/success for Homer has been done. A lot.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The phrase "jerkass Homer" should be retired. Use your words to describe exactly what you think is wrong instead of using an inaccurate meme handwave.

• Options

It has?

I'm not trying to argue with you Cloud, but Marge sacrifices her dreams/happiness/success for Homer has been done. A lot.

But not Marge publicly humiliating Homer repeatedly. Homer was the victim in this instance, due to Marge's actions.

And I'm with Opty, "jerkass Homer" has been pulled out randomly too many times during Two Minutes Hate sessions toward the Simpsons over the last 20 years. I'm so freaking thirsty for actual criticism of the show that doesn't rely on memes or random tsking at how the show is different than the golden years. Hell, I didn't even think this episode was very good!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think Homer gets stupider every year.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think Homer gets stupider every year.

Duh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2IW4LpgYE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i assume nostalgia is big reason I regard the first seasons fondly, but man.... That clip makes me want to watch seasons 1-9, at the very least.

• Options
    i assume nostalgia is big reason I regard the first seasons fondly, but man.... That clip makes me want to watch seasons 1-9, at the very least.

It really isnt just nostalgia, season 4-9 are by far the highest quality of the entire series. The first three are okay, but they didnt hit their stride until season 4. There's a few good episodes after too, but they get increasingly rare

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

It really isnt just nostalgia, season 4-9 are by far the highest quality of the entire series. The first three are okay, but they didnt hit their stride until season 4. There's a few good episodes after too, but they get increasingly rare

I mean that the nostalgia really elevated the show. It makes me feel 10 again.

• Options
    Simpsons at its peak is still the best show on TV. It's been on channel 4 here recently running through eps like the Power Plant strike and it's still as funny.

• Options
    Simpsons at its peak is still the best show on TV. It's been on channel 4 here recently running through eps like the Power Plant strike and it's still as funny.

Yeah, TV6 here is rerunning season 5 currently, and its USDA Choice. The only good parts of modern Simpsons is the creative ways they've been playing with the couch gags.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So is anyone playing that Fox Animation card game?

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    drunk Hank is OP...

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    *Play this card to kill fitty men.*

• Options
    It looks like the Brian storyline is continuing and heading somewhere.

• Options
    Stewie will reset it. I can't see them doing much with this.

• Options
    The first joke in that page with Homer works really well, the second one not.

• Options
    ...I guess all these shows are owned by Disney now?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The deal is at least a year away from going through.