As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre Fight Debate: Bracket 2

2»

• robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Come on, the Hellfire Club is pathetic compared to Ghul's global conspiracies and Shaw is just a second-rate grandmaster.

Even if a viral bomb isn't enough, Ghul could just smoothly take him with the epee (it's not a bullet and there doesn't need to be a whole lot of kinetic energy behind the strike).

If it's moving at all, it has kinetic energy.

Yeah, I misunderstood his powers.

Still, with Star Labs at his disposal it's easy for Ghul to overtake him with knockout gas or something of the sort. Hell, put a bag over Sebastian's head.

robosagogo on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Come on, the Hellfire Club is pathetic compared to Ghul's global conspiracies and Shaw is just a second-rate grandmaster.

Even if a viral bomb isn't enough, Ghul could just smoothly take him with the epee (it's not a bullet and there doesn't need to be a whole lot of kinetic energy behind the strike).

Still, with Star Labs at his disposal it's easy for Ghul to overtake him with knockout gas or something of the sort. Hell, put a bag over Sebastian's head.

I'm sure there are a number of things he could do, but seriously, one good punch to the head would kill Ra's right? He's very long-lived, but still his physique is that of a standard human, fighting against someone with quite a bit of strength.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I'm sure there are a number of things he could do, but seriously, one good punch to the head would kill Ra's right? He's very long-lived, but still his physique is that of a standard human, fighting against someone with quite a bit of strength.

One good punch to the head would kill any number of super-types.

Nonetheless, Ra's has several lifetimes worth of fighting experience whereas Shaw is an business man with a crazy ability.

robosagogo on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You know, all this Shaw/Ra's Talk makes me really wish I'd nominated Shinobi Shaw.

I always like him more than Sebastian.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Hensler wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

One good punch to the head would kill any number of super-types.

Nonetheless, Ra's has several lifetimes worth of fighting experience whereas Shaw is an business man with a crazy ability.

There seems to be a startling amount of super-heroes that are specifically stated to have some extra physical resistance, Ra's certainly would have none.

And again, I know Ra's has the experience and intelligence on his side, and a few limited tools, but Shaw has quite a bit of raw power going against him.

Septus on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match 1 is Sinestro all the way.

Match 2 is so crazy close I am not going to even touch it

Match 3 is all Ra's. He has way too much experience to get beat down by Shaw.

Match 4 is all Luthor. Come on. Wendigo?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    wonderful, My pick of Shaw goes up against Ghul.... I hope Toad and Jigsaw get better matches

edit: great they didnt even get in

edit 2: now that i think of it, Shaw could use those bombs and epee to his advantage. the blast from the bombs could make him basically a tank...hmmm

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kuma wrote:
    wonderful, My pick of Shaw goes up against Ghul.... I hope Toad and Jigsaw get better matches

edit: great they didnt even get in

edit 2: now that i think of it, Shaw could use those bombs and epee to his advantage. the blast from the bombs could make him basically a tank...hmmm

But he'd also be infected by the extremely quick-working, mutant offspring of the bubonic plague, cancer, AIDS and polio.

So the bombs would mostly ensure that he dies in excruciating agony.

Spectre-x on
  • cpiocpio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hmm some of these are pretty interesting.

Sinestro all the way. The guardians of the universe fielded him against Parallax, I think he can handle a wolverine villian.

Luthor vs. Wendigo: Luthor. If there is any villian who knows how to use intellect against brawn it's Lex Luthor.

Mirror Master vs. Loki: Now Mirror Master definitely has the upper hand, but one thing I think a lot of people are forgetting is Mirror Master is a dumb ass. Captain Boomerang outsmarted him. I think the Norse god of deception has him. [EDIT: ok there have been 3 Mirror Masters, so I don't know too much about the current guy. I still say Loki though. ]

Sebastian Shaw vs. Ras: as much as I like Ras, I'm going to have to go with Shaw because of his strength advantage.

cpio on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does Mirror Master's laser count as standard equipment? I doubt it could do any serious damage to Loki, but it would contribute to the "get him angry" thing. Get a bunch of blasts going, bouncing off mirrors and out of mirrors at him, generally make it confusing as possible.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A will be Sinestro. Lady Deathstrike is no match for his oddly shaped head

Match B will go to Mirror Master. Loki is a spoiled brat and will break one of the mirrors

Match C goes to Ra's. He's like the Batman on the villians side. Will fuck your shit up.

Match D will be with Luthor. That suit he has on will make quick work of the bunny

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Loki would just turn into a mirror and trap Mirror Master inside of himself. Trickery FTW!

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A: Sinestro - Deathstrike hasn't a chance.
    Match B: Loki - Granted, MM's got homefield on this battle, but the whole Trickery God thing and the powers that go with it should make this an easy win.
    Match C: Shaw - I actually like this fight more then B because Ra's and his expertise should give Sebastian an excellent fight, but Shaw should be able to outlast him.
    Match D: Luthor - I'd be surprised if Lex didn't make it to the final round.

Slagmire on
    edited November 2006
    Don't even see why Ra's would try to outlast Shaw. That's stupid.

Bag over the head, viruses, and knockout gas!

Maybe not in that order.

Even I know not to try to outlast Shaw, and I'm not a millennia old super-genius.

robosagogo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Remember, they're starting this fight having never met, and thus having no idea what the other's abilities are.

Scooter on
  • Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I nominated Wendigo, and even I know he's getting his ass handed to him by Luthor.

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Don't even see why Ra's would try to outlast Shaw. That's stupid.

Bag over the head, viruses, and knockout gas!

Maybe not in that order.

Even I know not to try to outlast Shaw, and I'm not a millennia old super-genius.
    nothing is that simple with Ra's. And you're forgetting that he's the most arrogant son of a bitch ever. He can back it up, but that doesn't mean he's not arrogant. Ra's vs. Shaw is going to be a battle of ego more than anything else, i think. Lots of talking. Probably Ra's will take time to point out that he spends all of his time fighting Batman, not a bunch of children.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Remember, they're starting this fight having never met, and thus having no idea what the other's abilities are.
    When an epee through the throat doesn't hurt Shaw, Ra's will figure out he's functionally invulnerable. Ra's isn't a fist fighter, so Shaw won't be able to fool him by pretending his blows are hurting him while he gorges on the kinetic energy.

Once Ghul knows Shaw's powers, Shaw is done. With all the invulnerable people in the DCU, Ghul is bound to know how to deal with them.

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    When an epee through the throat doesn't hurt Shaw, Ra's will figure out he's functionally invulnerable. Ra's isn't a fist fighter, so Shaw won't be able to fool him by pretending his blows are hurting him while he gorges on the kinetic energy.

Once Ghul knows Shaw's powers, Shaw is done. With all the invulnerable people in the DCU, Ghul is bound to know how to deal with them.

I don't see why Shaw, seeing an epee going straight for him, wouldn't just grab the blade or essentially ignore it and land one good punch on Ra's and kill him. I know Ra's is a really good fighter, but generally, I'd think he'd be used to opponents having to either dodge or parry a sword, he's at a disadvantage when his opponent can just ignore it(and Ra's doesn't know this).

Septus on
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

I don't see why Shaw, seeing an epee going straight for him, wouldn't just grab the blade or essentially ignore it and land one good punch on Ra's and kill him. I know Ra's is a really good fighter, but generally, I'd think he'd be used to opponents having to either dodge or parry a sword, he's at a disadvantage when his opponent can just ignore it(and Ra's doesn't know this).

If Batman can take a few super-strength hits, then why can't Ra's whose physiology has been enhanced by the Pits?

And when a notable percentage of the DCU's hero and villain population are invulnerable, Ra's will at least consider the possibility that Shaw might be. That's just good sense, and he's not going to be completely unprepared.

robosagogo on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A will be Sinestro. Lady Deathstrike is no match for his oddly shaped head

Match B will go to Mirror Master. Loki is a spoiled brat and will break one of the mirrors

Match C goes to Ra's. He's like the Batman on the villians side. Will fuck your shit up.

Match D will be with Luthor. That suit he has on will make quick work of the bunny

I agree with this 100%.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sinestro: DC needs to chill the fuck out with uberpowers.

Loki: He'd make mirror master break a mirror. also, "Loki revealed during an encounter with Deadpool that he is fully aware he is a fictional character in a comic book." if deadpool advanced a round because of that, then damn well so better loki.

...Ra's: im gonna have to go with virus killing shaw. a viral whatever breaking/blowing up near shaw is not going to give him anywhere near the amount of energy to persevere through the viral mojo ra's has going on. also, i think ra's could pick up and use any tech lying around the labs faster than shaw could.

luthor: this fight is nearly as one sided as loki's is.

edit: editted for spacing.

mcwillip on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    If Batman can take a few super-strength hits, then why can't Ra's whose physiology has been enhanced by the Pits?

Heh, yeah, I don't think that Batman should actually be able to take a punch to the head from someone moderate super strength.

I think Ra's really would have to take him down with a virus, but it'd have to be fast enough to keep Shaw from taking him down with one or two well placed hits.

Septus on
    edited November 2006
    If it was more like, say, a neurotoxin or something, then I'd give it to Ra's. But even the deadliest viruses on the planet take days or weeks to kill someone, so even if we assume these are comic book superbugs, they're not going to be an instant kill. Ra's is going to need to infect Shaw (without infecting himself), then keep away from him for at least, I'd say, an hour or so.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Sebastian's just an invulnerable aristocrat who is, at his best and full of energy, as dangerous as Bane (if Bane was a little dumber).

He's not agile enough to hit Ghul square in the face.

Infecting him and running away for an hour alone would be easy enough since Shaw doesn't have super-speed and isn't even particularly good at hide and seek.

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    ok question, lets say Ra's hits Shaw with a virus, doesnt the virus moving through Shaws body build up kinetic energy? shit the virus could make him almost unstopable

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Uh, no. Viruses just ride along on the bloodstream for the most part, and even if they can move, their mass is so small that the kinetic energy is negligable.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Kuma wrote:
    ok question, lets say Ra's hits Shaw with a virus, doesnt the virus moving through Shaws body build up kinetic energy? shit the virus could make him almost unstopable

By that logic the kinetic energy built up by his own blood would make him insanely powerful. I'd say that this was probably not the intent of his creator.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:

By that logic the kinetic energy built up by his own blood would make him insanely powerful. I'd say that this was probably not the intent of his creator.

Not to mention it would make his blood stop moving and he'd die.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:

well my reasoning would be that seeing its his own blood it doesnt affect him but the virus is a foreign body...help me out here

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Kuma wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:

well my reasoning would be that seeing its his own blood it doesnt affect him but the virus is a foreign body...help me out here

Not even Mr. Fantastic can make that stretch.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:

well said.

mcwillip on
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:

hey im trying here

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kuma wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Kuma wrote:

hey im trying here

Heh... Lowbacca.

Hensler on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    If it was more like, say, a neurotoxin or something, then I'd give it to Ra's. But even the deadliest viruses on the planet take days or weeks to kill someone, so even if we assume these are comic book superbugs, they're not going to be an instant kill. Ra's is going to need to infect Shaw (without infecting himself), then keep away from him for at least, I'd say, an hour or so.

Knowing Ra's, it's probably some jorrible super-virus that would kill in an excruciatingly agonizing instant.

Spectre-x on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A: Sinestro; Deathstrike is just outclassed, there's nothing she can do but choke in an airless bubble.
    Match B: Loki; The god of trickery vs. a guy who does tricks with mirrors? No contest.
    Match C: Ra's Al Ghul; Many people are treating him like a normal man that's smart, not a man who can fight Batman to a standstill and has many lifetimes worth of experience.
    Match D: Lex Luthor; Apokoliptian Battlesuit>Big Frozen Chewbacca

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif