As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gifted - An X-Men-Ass X-Men Show

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Currently
    Aaaaand Jace gets fucked over again for trying to do the right thing. I mean, all bow before the Stepford Cuckoos because that was never going to go well for anyone but them, but it almost feels like they're intentionally screwing over Jace just because he's The System, Man.

Also, bye Dreamer!

edit: Oh man, the actress that plays Dreamer was on Agents of SHIELD as Sif's sister, and Smallville as Mera. Neat.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Currently
    Aaaaand Jace gets fucked over again for trying to do the right thing. I mean, all bow before the Stepford Cuckoos because that was never going to go well for anyone but them, but it almost feels like they're intentionally screwing over Jace just because he's The System, Man.

Also, bye Dreamer!

edit: Oh man, the actress that plays Dreamer was on Agents of SHIELD as Sif's sister, and Smallville as Mera. Neat.

Enchantress’s sister, I believe

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Currently

Also, bye Dreamer!

Yeah... Like its hard not to feel bad for the guy, those three were fuckin terrifying.

I don't know why they didn't kill him too

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Currently

Also, bye Dreamer!

Yeah... Like its hard not to feel bad for the guy, those three were fuckin terrifying.

I don't know why they didn't kill him too
    Pretty sure it was just an oversight, he was down and neutralized...they didn't really go back around for dedicated executions to ensure no witnesses. I mean I know in my heart it is plot armor but they also didn't over sell that nobody else survived their wounds as I recall. It was more that the Cuckoos didn't care who lived or died among the humans

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So...
    The sensors were made of adamantium too, huh? Nitpick, I know.

I wish one time that someone does the "Or I kill them!" move the response is "Then what? They die, we have no reason to cooperate.". Instead of making her sacrifice meaningless. Good going guys. You better turn around and level that building! They won't. And then be hunted anyway with that lab pumping out torture and worse.

The triplets probably should have just been straight forward, Lorna would have been on board. But they'll probably be crazy or something.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    So...

I wish one time that someone does the "Or I kill them!" move the response is "Then what? They die, we have no reason to cooperate.". Instead of making her sacrifice meaningless. Good going guys. You better turn around and level that building! They won't. And then be hunted anyway with that lab pumping out torture and worse.

The triplets probably should have just been straight forward, Lorna would have been on board. But they'll probably be crazy or something.
    There was a line about "measuring until the sensors break". Dude didn't care if they broke, he just wanted as much raw data as possible.

sig.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So...

Well in the case the "Then what?" is watching ANOTHER one of their friends die... so... it made sense there to give in to it.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They're teenagers, not trained soldiers.

Get some better teenagers!

More seriously, there are plenty of non-teenagers around at the moment who have demonstrated they're a bit more clued in.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Latest episode
    Holy shit I am so excited about the Cuckoos and they seem to be getting them so right in their depiction. They're creepy, they're manipulative, and they're utterly ruthless, I love it.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Latest episode
    Holy shit I am so excited about the Cuckoos and they seem to be getting them so right in their depiction. They're creepy, they're manipulative, and they're utterly ruthless, I love it.
    So apparently, it was answer #2/3. They are operating under their own agenda and it is likely going to cause everything to escalate.

Separately, I was wondering if the siblings would target their collars, but it make sense that they didn't since they don't seem to have any finesse with their abilities at the moment. Second option would have been to knock out all the sensors with a lower powered strike and then to have targeted the area around the doorway to the testing cell. Right now the siblings' scope of abilities are pretty undefined, which means we really don't know what they are capable of doing.

And yeah, Jayce can't catch a break at all.

edited December 2017
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Latest episode
    So apparently, it was answer #2/3. They are operating under their own agenda and it is likely going to cause everything to escalate.

Separately, I was wondering if the siblings would target their collars, but it make sense that they didn't since they don't seem to have any finesse with their abilities at the moment. Second option would have been to knock out all the sensors with a lower powered strike and then to have targeted the area around the doorway to the testing cell. Right now the siblings' scope of abilities are pretty undefined, which means we really don't know what they are capable of doing.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the collars go. Not only are we not really aware of what they are capable of... they aren't either.

That was the first time they really used that power, and it was an amazing means by which to make the example.

I especially liked the wolverine reference for two reasons.

1 nerd stuff, referential humor, awesome

2 immediately after this episode I happened to by chance rewatch Logan, and noticed a really interesting sub plot I hadn't noticed before
    in Logan they go over how they got rid of mutants... they engineered the corn to make it remove the x gene, and halt mutations. I'm wondering if the data they got from the kids right here is the beginning of that... You know assuming they actually share a continuity

And yeah I'm not sure where jayce is headed because damn that dude can't catch a break. My speculation is that the triplets are a legit problem and eventually him and the mutants are going to have to work together to take those three out, but I'm totally fine with being wrong there.

Sleep on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Latest episode

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the collars go. Not only are we not really aware of what they are capable of... they aren't either.

That was the first time they really used that power, and it was an amazing means by which to make the example.

2 immediately after this episode I happened to by chance rewatch Logan, and noticed a really interesting sub plot I hadn't noticed before
    in Logan they go over how they got rid of mutants... they engineered the corn to make it remove the x gene, and halt mutations. I'm wondering if the data they got from the kids right here is the beginning of that... You know assuming they actually share a continuity

And yeah I'm not sure where jayce is headed because damn that dude can't catch a break. My speculation is that the triplets are a legit problem and eventually him and the mutants are going to have to work together to take those three out, but I'm totally fine with being wrong there.

Regarding Jayce:
    His whole story line is "Japanese internment is okay, because my daughter was at Pearl Harbor." Fuck that guy.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Latest episode

Regarding Jayce:
    His whole story line is "Japanese internment is okay, because my daughter was at Pearl Harbor." Fuck that guy.

And you can't feel any sympathy for that point of view?

Yes.

But fuck that guy still.

Latest episode

Regarding Jayce:

And you can't feel any sympathy for that point of view?

As someone with multiple ethnicities put into internment and re-education camps, fuck no.

Latest episode

Regarding Jayce:

And yet,
    I got the feeling that he got to that point incrementally with a series of justifications along the way. It doesn't excuse where he was at, but it sadly makes it a lot more understable as to how he ended up at that point. I am pretty sure it was deliberate with how it ties into the Strucker's conversation on the drive over.

It took his wife, as a person he trusted and values to get him to re-examine things through less biased eyes. Her reaction of "what are you doing in the name of our daughter" to get him to get his head out of the insular police culture he is steeped in and re-assess.

And frankly, it is the scenes like the car ride, or the simple conversations between the Struckers and Jayce/wife that elevate this show. The other stuff in the lab may be fun superhero drama, but it's not uncommon. The sibling discussion after is what makes this show special for me.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Jace is incredibly humanized. This does not necessarily make him a good person, but it does make his actions and beliefs and values understandable. He is an absolutely believable and very realistic character who acts and behaves like a real person would given the situation he is in.

He's a compelling character in the same sense that many characters who are not necessarily good people in television are compelling. Coby Bell is kind of an underrated actor who is really good at the specific kind of roles he plays (like cops!)

I actually like all the characters on the show, even the ones who are kinda not good people or do dumb things or say stuff that is stupid, because even when they do that they come from a place that is entirely human and believable because in real life, people say and do stupid emotional shit all the time.

I understand that doesn't necessarily make some people who want this show to be about a hardened paramilitary strike force happy or some shit, but this isn't that show? It's about a bunch of refugees dealing with an oppressive government.

This is actually one of the few examples of an X-Men story that uses heavy allegories that doesn't bug the shit out of me for doing so, which is kind of amazing really.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So a mutant with power over magnetism
    will likely be battling mutants with telepathic powers to determine the fate of the mutant race.

KingofMadCows on
    So a mutant with power over magnetism
    will likely be battling mutants with telepathic powers to determine the fate of the mutant race.
    and they are on the opposite sides they normally are

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Polaris needs a helmet.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Polaris needs a helmet.

And hide her green hair?
    No sir. No helmet.

Maybe a tiara or a circlet or something. But not a helmet.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Now counting episodes until Sage throws together a psychic inhibitor for Polaris to wear on her forehead.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Polaris needs a helmet.

And hide her green hair?
    No sir. No helmet.

Maybe a tiara or a circlet or something. But not a helmet.

You have won this round!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, I just watched episode 5 and something clicked when Dreamer was doing her thing
    Specifically, "Hound" as the name of the program that turned Pulse.

This is the Days of Future Past (comics, not movie) timeline, and Garrett Dillahunt's character is Ahab.

Fuuuuuuck.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Oh shit, I just watched episode 5 and something clicked when Dreamer was doing her thing
    Specifically, "Hound" as the name of the program that turned Pulse.

This is the Days of Future Past (comics, not movie) timeline, and Garrett Dillahunt's character is Ahab.

Fuuuuuuck.
    If they bring in Rachel Grey in this show I will die of happiness.

Interview with Emma Dumont, actress who plays Polaris, confirms some things

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/the-gifted-x-men-emma-dumont/

Has spoilers in terms of Polaris' parentage if for some reason you did not know that.

Most hilarious detail for me is that she compares the relationship between Lorna and her father and Beth and Rick from Rick & Morty

Pony wrote: »

Has spoilers in terms of Polaris' parentage if for some reason you did not know that.

Most hilarious detail for me is that she compares the relationship between Lorna and her father and Beth and Rick from Rick & Morty

I thought all this was obvious, but for some reason her talking about the way they talk about it in production makes me like it even more.

Also, JFC, she's some kind of superhuman in real life too. Reading her wiki makes me feel bad for spending my time watching the show.

I thought all this was obvious, but for some reason her talking about the way they talk about it in production makes me like it even more.

Also, JFC, she's some kind of superhuman in real life too. Reading her wiki makes me feel bad for spending my time watching the show.

Oh, you mean the fact that she's an award winning actress/model/ballet dancer/violinist/mechanical engineer and literal genius who is drop dead gorgeous on top of it?

Yes she is a stark reminder life is perilously unfair.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Oh, you mean the fact that she's an award winning actress/model/ballet dancer/violinist/mechanical engineer and literal genius who is drop dead gorgeous on top of it?

She's also done Roller Derby

Fearghaill wrote: »

She's also done Roller Derby

perilously unfair

It's interesting to read how upfront and overt the intention behind a lot of things are on this show. I hadn't caught the fact that Sentinel Services could be shortened to SS and that it was deliberate, but in hindsight it makes a lot of sense. Or how much of an "of course" moment it is to hear that the production team internally refer to the government in the show as Nazi's. Or the perspective of Lorna about Reed Strucker's turn of heart and why she isn't willing to cut him much slack over it. This show operates on those subtle interplays and high level of realism in how people interact, and as I've said above, it is what makes the show special.

Yeah, I think Lorna started to cut Reed some slack when
    he volunteered the screws in his knee so they could escape.

sig.gif
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how much I've turned around on Esme in just one episode
    The Cuckoo reveal plays much better to the actor's strengths. Up until now I've found her obnoxious and unconvincing, but she was the best part of this episode

She's way better at playing confident and cool than uncertain or worried and something about her look is just much more believable in dress clothes than in rags

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Some of the reveals from last nights ep were way deep into territory I never thought they would tread. Something about a show like this on network tv had me believe that they would never let them play with so many toys from the box. Sure a lot of it is firmly in the vein at of name drops at the moment but its still fun.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    I love the Stepford Cuckoos a whole lot

it's weird that the show only calls them "the Frost Sisters"

They are trying to set up a new Emma frost right?

As someone who had never heard of them before I'd say it makes sense- Frost Sisters sounds plain, but "Stepford Cockoos" sounds kind of dumb.

They are trying to set up a new Emma frost right?

I'm not sure what you mean?
    The Cuckoos are all clones of Emma, created as part of the Weapon Plus program.

As someone who had never heard of them before I'd say it makes sense- Frost Sisters sounds plain, but "Stepford Cockoos" sounds kind of dumb.

See, "Stepford" because they all look and act the same, and "Cuckoos" because they were placed in the Xavier School as spies (for either Cassandra Nova or Sublime, I forget) like cuckoo chicks in other birds' nests.