As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to Copenhagen for Work

HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
I've never been to Europe in general, and I'm going to my company's Copenhagen office in a little over a week.

I've flown internationally so I have a passport...good there.

But beyond that I'm pretty unprepared. What do I need to bring?

I won't have a ton of time to explore unfortunately. The office and where I'm staying are pretty close by to each other. In fact this is roughly where I'll be staying.

So couple questions:

1. I imagine I need some kind of converter or different plug for my devices? For the most part I just need to plug in my macbook pro and iPhone. What do I need?
2. I might have a couple evenings to explore and/or eat somewhere fun on the company's dime. My company is pretty lax still on eating out, drinking, etc so I hope to live it up a little.
3. Anything else in general I should be aware of? I don't want to come off as a complete asshole by doing something that is considered rude. Again, I won't have a TON of time outside the office, but still, any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks all.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    First as a Dane let me say that I hope you will enjoy your stay in Copenhagen.

You might find you'll have more time to explorer than you expect. A standard Danish work week is 37 hours, so even when people here put in a few extra hours it is likely to be less than you'd expect. A recent study actually found Danes working to do the least hours weekly of all EU citizen, so it may be that we are actually world record holders for having the shortest working weeks(Officially the French work less hours than us with just 35 hours, but in reality they work something like 38 hours).

This time of year can be a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to visiting (that btw. goes for the whole of Scandinavia). On the one hand this time of year most people will looking forward to Christmas and there are loads of get together s, parties and what not happening both privately and also in the work place (look up the word "Hygge"). Then on the other hand it is also this time of year where there is the least amount of daylight and it won't really be day until 8am and it will be dark again like 4pm, so if it is a rainy cloudy day it can be a bit grim. Do bring a warm coat, a scarf and a pair of gloves - by no way it is bitterly cold here but if you want to walk round a bit it can get chilly this time of year.

Apart from the weather this time of year Denmark is a friendly place. People will seem somewhat reserved and aren't likely to talk much if at all in public transport, shops and so but if you need guidance or just feel like talking you'll find people are usually helpful and friendly - and that goes for everyone be it people on the street, in public transport or someone next to you in a line at the airport.
    Us Danes don't use a lot of phrases like "Hello. How are you." and instead a simple "Hello/Good morning/Good day/God evening" is more likely, so if someone do say "How are you" expect them to be genuinely interested.
    As for topics when talking to Danes pretty much everything goes and you'll find people here to be very liberal. If you bring up politics do know that as most sane people in the World we do not care for Trump, so if you're a fan be prepared to be challenged.

Now specifics.
    1. Sockets in the EU are all 230v/50Hz, but the shape of sockets vary some. Most likely your chargers will work with the voltage, but make sure to check else you'll need more than just a an adapter and it might be simply getting a EU spec charger is the cheaper option (also check if you can borrow one from work). You can try and ask your hotel if they have adapters you can borrow.

2. There are loads of option for great food in Copenhagen and all sorts of kitchen styles to choose from. The big foodie thing is of course the "New Nordic" movement with its focus on local ingredients where we have Noma as the flagship for this with it being hailed the #1 restaurant in the World for a few years, but you must book months in advance to get a table and even pay in advance also($300 per person). You can find the "New Nordic" style in loads of places and for lot less also and I suggest using TripAdvisor as a starting point - since there will be lots of companies doing their Christmas parties at restaurants here in December make sure to check before going if a place of your choice should happen to be booked full for a party(this goes through all of December, but mostly on Fridays and Saturdays).
    If new Nordic isn't you're fancy then for instance Copenhagen also has one of the best Thai restaurants on the globe "Kiin Kiin" - there is something like 15 places in Copenhagen that has Michelin stars including one place that has three stars, but really good food is all over and for instance you can find good food at many cafes with many of them doing both breakfast, brunch, lunch and something nice for dinner as well.
    Also make sure to go to a Bakery and get some real Danish pastry, what you know as a "Danish" we call Wienerbrød as it really a pastry created in Denmark by bakers from Vienna. I also recommend eating a hot dog at one of the stands found around the city, my favorite is the one at Rundetårn which is an old observation tower found on the walking streets of Copenhagen (The tower itself is worth visiting).

3. As mentioned we are very liberal and pretty much everything goes. You do not have to worry about being PC just as long as you remember equal rights are held in high regard here and that goes for Woman's rights, LGBT, Religion, Ethnicity.. and so on.

A few practical tips.
    • You can pay with plastic pretty much everywhere even for small amounts except maybe some hot dog stands or getting on a bus. It has been months since I have used cash for anything. However not all plastic works, so make sure you have a major card and when in doubt ask before spending.
    • People you cycling a lot for commuting in Copenhagen even during winter time, so remember to look out when crossing the streets, at many streets there is special bike lanes and be prepared for cyclists to be moving swiftly. Also on some one way streets that is only so for cars, so look out for cyclists coming from an unexpected direction.
    • The quickest way to get around in the center of Copenhagen is by bike, so if you're up for it ask you Hotel if they can lend/rent you a bike or simply use one of the city bike hires.
    • Public transport is good in Denmark. Not only for inner city transport, but also the trip from and to the airport can be done quicker using the Metro rather than taking a Taxi so unless you have lots of luggage or the weather is foul consider that option.
    • Pretty much every Dane speak some English, but knowing just a little Danish just fun is good so here is a link to get started https://youtube.com/watch?v=XSx6Roqj5XE. Note. Most Danes will automatically switch to English when they hear you try Danish.
    • If you ride in a Taxi(Cab) it is fine to sit up front (and you see more of the city that way).
    • Tipping is not expected anywhere as those servicing get a decent salary on its own. You can tip if you like and in general I do if having been given something special like a really nice meal.
    • This is more summer thing, but know that drinking in the open is allowed so if you feel like it you can sit on a bench with a beer.

Finally - places to go.
    My favorite place in the Winter in Copenhagen for lunch if the day is just too gloomy is this one. https://glyptoteket.com/ - It is a museum with great art, but also they have a sort of indoor garden with a cafe where it is just nice to be. You'll find it a short mile away from your hotel located just beyond the Tivoli park.
    Strøget. The walking streets of Copenhagen where you're find nice shops and can get a bit of feel for the place and on it there is the Rundetårn I mentioned. It is a observation tower from 1642 with an internal ramp so that the Kind could be driven up the tower by horses and carriage.
    If you have time to get out of the city then take a train ride to the Lousiana art museum located up the coast north of Copenhagen. https://en.louisiana.dk/
    Torvehallerne. A indoor market with all things food. One can shop ingredients for making great meals and one can also eat at one of the many options in the place. You'll find it close to your hotel. visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/gastronomy/torvehallerne

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Mostly agree apart from the stuff about biking - if you come from a place where biking isn't really a thing (i.e. the US) I would recommend against doing that in Copenhagen as it can be a meat grinder.

This is a personal preference, but I would stay out of outer Nørrebro.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Agreed on the biking. It shouldn't be necessary, anyway. You can walk to a lot of places, and just grab a cab to anywhere else given your situation and time frame.

I'd consider emailing the hotel if you're concerned about chargers and whatnot - they might be able to hook you up, depending on where you're staying. The service level of the inner city hotels does vary a bit, though.

Also, since the temperature might hit the freezing point, stay clear of any polar bears you see in the street. I figure that's common sense, but just to warn you.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm extremely excited to go, though I wish I could have convinced my wife to come with me. I had ulterior motives to get her hooked on the country and then for us to move there (my company is pretty great about allowing relocation to our various overseas offices).

No worries on the liberal front. Maybe we can bitch about Trump together?

I've had some coworkers recommend New Nordic so I'll definitely be looking for some good eats.

I'm close enough to work and the center of town where I think I should be able to walk everywhere. Good to know on the public transport. I was thinking just taking a taxi from the airport to my hotel, but that's mostly because I've always been nervous about using public transport in a new city until I go with someone who is somewhat familiar.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    I'm close enough to work and the center of town where I think I should be able to walk everywhere. Good to know on the public transport. I was thinking just taking a taxi from the airport to my hotel, but that's mostly because I've always been nervous about using public transport in a new city until I go with someone who is somewhat familiar.
    Seems reasonable - taking a Taxi will be easier in that it is just get in one, say where to go and enjoy the ride.
    The Metro is not much more complicated. You need to get a ticket, but the station is part of the Airport terminal and the Nørreport station to which you should go is on the same metro line as then airport station with the line actually starting at the Airport. So no risk of going in the wrong direction or making a wrong switch. The ride takes 15 minutes. Then from Nørreport Station to the Hotel there is then maybe a ½mile to walk.
    Here is info on the Metro: intl.m.dk/#!/about+the+metro/travel+information/airport and some reviews: https://yelp.com/biz/k%C3%B8benhavns-metro-k%C3%B8benhavn-s

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd definitely just grab a taxi to your hotel.

I just remembered that I stayed at SP34 for work a couple of years ago - it's pretty nice, and you'll be able to walk to lots of places from there.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    Just a point about card payments in Europe: we use chip-and-pin, or contactless, whether it's debit or credit card; not chip-and-signature. If you need to sign for stuff; you will be able to at airports and hotels and the like, but I haven't seen a store in the last 5 years accept a signature. (Though I am not in Denmark and it might be different there.)

I just wanted to mention that, since when I went to America two months ago people seemed generally surprised I was asking for PIN payments - so I suspect not all debit/credit cards have a PIN attached to them?

• Options
    Taerak wrote: »
    Just a point about card payments in Europe: we use chip-and-pin, or contactless, whether it's debit or credit card; not chip-and-signature. If you need to sign for stuff; you will be able to at airports and hotels and the like, but I haven't seen a store in the last 5 years accept a signature. (Though I am not in Denmark and it might be different there.)

I just wanted to mention that, since when I went to America two months ago people seemed generally surprised I was asking for PIN payments - so I suspect not all debit/credit cards have a PIN attached to them?

Good point. Having a PIN for ones cards is a must here as not is pretty much the same as not having a card since many places do not use signatures.
    Also a note regarding getting cash meaning Danish Kroner. Most cases the cheaper way is to go to a Bank rather than use one of those "Money exchange shops" that can be found in the Airport and elsewhere and the same goes for getting money at an ATM. But really you do not need cash to get around provided you have PIN for your cards.

• Options
    Ah good to know on the Credit Card. I have a chip in mine...but not sure on the pin. Might have to call my bank up and ask how to set that up (I use a Chase Sapphire Reserve).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    When I'm in Europe, it's common for places to go grab a pen for me to sign. Obviously they didn't expect to need it. Some places, just ignore that part. For the rare situation that only accepts chip and pin, like a ticket machine, i just used my visa atm/debit card.

In Amsterdam there were a few places that only accepted Maestro, so I had to use cash at those.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

fwiw Germany is almost 100% signature for credit cards and like 50/50 for debit cards (Maestro)

• Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Grobian wrote: »

fwiw Germany is almost 100% signature for credit cards and like 50/50 for debit cards (Maestro)

Interesting! Germany is the country I have the least experience with; as it turns out.

Taerak on
  • Options
    AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    I'm not sure from where you're flying, but make sure you pack appropriate clothes.

its around ~40 degrees F in Copenhagen currently.

• Options
    Amaryl wrote: »
    I'm not sure from where you're flying, but make sure you pack appropriate clothes.

its around ~40 degrees F in Copenhagen currently.

Coming from Denver, Colorado and already checked out the forecast. Should be good there.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I used my chip card without the pin just about everywhere in Copenhagen, they just make you sign. Otherwise if you have a debit card you can use that.

In my experience most the bars in Copenhagen only have Carlsberg, which is pretty shit beer, and a lot of the drinking culture tends to revolve around shots.

But, there is at least one pretty good brewpub not too far from your hotel.

Warpigs

Also Tivoli Gardens is pretty cool. I was there in the summer, but I'd assume that they have a pretty cool Christmas display going on.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I used my chip card without the pin just about everywhere in Copenhagen, they just make you sign. Otherwise if you have a debit card you can use that.

In my experience most the bars in Copenhagen only have Carlsberg, which is pretty shit beer, and a lot of the drinking culture tends to revolve around shots.

Warpigs

Also Tivoli Gardens is pretty cool. I was there in the summer, but I'd assume that they have a pretty cool Christmas display going on.

False and a lie. Most bars have several different beers on tap and Carlsberg is perfectly serviceable. Warpigs is very good though.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

Warpigs

Sorry - I simply cannot recognize any of this.
    As for the PIN thing then I guess you will be able to get to sign loads of places, but there will certainly also be loads of places where you must use a pin.

As for the beer thing. I get that Carlsberg in general may not be to everyone's taste, but the brewery makes lots of different beer including some not bad Christmas beer (or Julebryg as it is called in Danish). And there certainly are loads other beers to chose from in many places - this btw. includes a spot right by Tivoli where they make their own beers on the premises and there are others places which does this as well. Here is a search for microbreweries in Copenhagen

The main point though is really that in the center of Copenhagen there are so many options there is lots of options regardless of what may fancy. That includes the bars of which one can find anything from places that are loud, noisy and all about quantity and others which are like gems of style and enjoyment offering great cocktails for every taste.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Also. It might be tempting to cross the bridge and visit Sweden.

If you don't have a mastercard/visa with pin code...don't.
    Skånetrafiken (which handles pretty much all public transport in Scania) are absolute assholes when it comes to payment.
    They pretty much only accept the mastercard/visa except at their main offices (which they have like 3 in the entirety of Scania). That's right. They don't accept chip&signature, they don't accept cash. They only accept payments through card+pin, their mobile app or travelpasses.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Also. It might be tempting to cross the bridge and visit Sweden.

If you don't have a mastercard/visa with pin code...don't.
    Skånetrafiken (which handles pretty much all public transport in Scania) are absolute assholes when it comes to payment.
    They pretty much only accept the mastercard/visa except at their main offices (which they have like 3 in the entirety of Scania). That's right. They don't accept chip&signature, they don't accept cash. They only accept payments through card+pin, their mobile app or travelpasses.

LOL - That sure sounds a bit unfriendly! Here on the civilized Danish side cash still goes and you can even used actual coins to pay for a bus fair by paying the driver directly(and the ticket you buy is then also valid for the S-trains and Metro).
    But using cash is going away quickly just like we do not have checks anymore. Soon anything will be either plastic, used with either PIN or contactless, or apps on our phones. Already we use an app to send money to friends like say if we chip together for buying someone a present. It is easy and Big Brother loves it.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    As for the beer issue. In my experience Beer in Copenhagen is a pretty geographical thing.
    The closer you get to Norrebro or the Meatpacking district the better the beer selection becomes (in general).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Several people have mentioned bicycles. This is important:
    Be aware of bike lanes! You may think you're just walking in a generic pedestrian space, but you're actually walking through a bike lane. If you have your head down in a map or you're sightseeing, this is easy to do. I'm sure when I was there I annoyed numerous Danes with my obliviousness.

Also, I liked Mälmo. I'd say the trip across the sound is worth it.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

In my stupidity I ordered Euros instead of Kroner. I'm assuming the airport in CPH should have some kind of currency exchange right?

I managed to get a pin set on my card before I left so I'm good there.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

In my stupidity I ordered Euros instead of Kroner. I'm assuming the airport in CPH should have some kind of currency exchange right?

There are several exchange services at the airport, but most likely you'll get a better rate doing the exchange in a bank in town. Or you can hang on to the cash and shop with it at the airport after check in when flying home since all the shops there take Euro. Also most likely your Hotel will take Euro also as do many of the bigger shops in the city center(but watch the exchange rates).

• Options

There are several exchange services at the airport, but most likely you'll get a better rate doing the exchange in a bank in town. Or you can hang on to the cash and shop with it at the airport after check in when flying home since all the shops there take Euro. Also most likely your Hotel will take Euro also as do many of the bigger shops in the city center(but watch the exchange rates).

I exchanged at the airport. No fee surprisingly. The rate was what the current rates were when I checked online so yay.

Loving this town so far. Thanks for all the suggestions.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Warpigs

It may be shit beer, but their spokesperson is pretty rad.
    4ct40afi5f1r.jpeg

Thanks again for all the advice. I loved the town. I hope I can come back soon.

War pigs was indeed awesome. And I didn’t know but it’s owned by the same folks who own my favorite beer spot in San Francisco!

FYI I had no issue using chip and sign everywhere.

camo_sig2.png