As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Having finally acquired Genesys, I got into the nitty gritty of setting creation for my local game. Horror/urban fantasy. This is the brief intro mailer I sent to my players today as a preview.
    The year is 1969 and the world has changed. The war in Vietnam is spiraling out of control. The Soviets are winning the space race. The Civil Rights Act draws both praise and condemnation across the country. Bob Dylan put it best, the times they are a-changin’.

For you, things have changed in a more volatile way. The world you know has undergone a fundamental transformation. You can’t pinpoint when it happened, but your eyes have been opened to a new truth. The dark has given up its secrets.

We are not alone. Forces from outside our reality have been bleeding over into our world. Some for centuries, the basis for legends and beliefs. Some more recent, shadowy figures promising power for fealty to strange gods. Some may have been with us all along, hidden in the dark. Living only through stories and myths, half glimpsed shapes in the distance.

Unseen powers clash in the shadows. Steering the world towards or away from ruin, fighting a covert war for the survival of the human race. Secret societies reign over it all with an iron fist. Keeping the public in the dark with a web of lies, rules and violence.

But secrets will find a way to see the light.

Cracks in the edifice are beginning to show. Unexplainable phenomena in the news. The unknown leaking into the public eye.

The year is 1969 and the world has changed. Welcome to the shadows.
    That feels like Hunter: The Reckoning set in the 60s. With a Ron Perlman, Fallout-style voice-over.

Life in the vault is about to change.

(It sounds awesome.)

Delduwath on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Sure, I also like to have themes ("Reality is what you make of it"), a general arc ("Prevent Mickey Mouse from taking over the universe"), hidden villains (a '78 Barracuda), that sort of thing.

Seeing that theme and reflecting on the campaign really makes me like Vic's exit all the more. It always made sense in character but I never really thought how it served the overall theme nicely as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Can you make mines blow up with a flame thrower and a rifle?
    So I could give you a ridiculously deep breakdown on this, but here's the short version: it depends.

Anti-material rifles (BMG .50 like the Barrett) can and will blow most mines as they can penetrate deep enough to hit the detonator (ideally), main charge or the booster (which can also do the job). Flamethrowers, in general, are not suited to mine sweeping.

Smaller caliber rifles will not be able to penetrate the casing reliably enough to make it a guarantee. 7.62 (NATO or Soviet) should probably be a coin toss. Anything smaller a d10 roll looking for 0-1 result.

Hopefully this answers your question, but if not I'm perfectly willing to go deeper but the weeds here are deep.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I think I’m going to tell them no from now on and that those were some crappily made hiveganger trash mines.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My last trainee was an Nat Guard EOD tech. He said that every callout when he was deployed started the same "Did you shoot at it? No just be honest this is my safety here, its no big deal I just need to know OH GODDAMMIT WHY DID YOU SHOOT IT YOU FUCKING MORON."

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    My last trainee was an Nat Guard EOD tech. He said that every callout when he was deployed started the same "Did you shoot at it? No just be honest this is my safety here, its no big deal I just need to know OH GODDAMMIT WHY DID YOU SHOOT IT YOU FUCKING MORON."
    Because pretty much everyone has seen EOD work and they get confused about the why of the BMG .50 and the what of the sandbags you probably want to put around a mine before you detonate it.

Monkey see, money seadoo.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    Because pretty much everyone has seen EOD work and they get confused about the why of the BMG .50 and the what of the sandbags you probably want to put around a mine before you detonate it.

So what if my gun is smaller, that just means I need to shoot it more, right?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    No Sgt we didnt shoot it.

Pile of brass*

Looks like a small war erupted around device *

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    No Sgt we didnt shoot it.

Pile of brass*

Looks like a small war erupted around device *

i mean that's plausible, right

how many wars have started because someone said "that's mine"

• Options
    Oh goddammit

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    *Edit* On further thought, what was here wasn't something I feel I should've posted. Just a youtube link with no content added from me.

To give my own thoughts on the discussion of blowing up mines. Wheher they could be removed by the group with gunfire or flamethrower isn't a question of the feasibility in reality, but a question of the needs of the story. The group probably shouldn't just breeze through the obsticle represented by the mine field with nothing more than maybe marking off the ammo use of a flamethrower or weapons, but if they come up with some good reason or plan that they could negate or avoid the obstacle with resources they have, it's the gm's choice at that point. Bonus points if it's a plan that's risky for them and/or fun to play out.

Of course, if the game's been played with relative adherence to reality, then it does matter if mines can be cleared by gunfire or open flames. I could be wrong, but it sounds like that's the tone you're going for, or you wouldn't have asked about it.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I mean it is 40k, but usually basic hoomans and weaponry hue near to real basic hoomans and weaponry.

Also there are no rules about mines in DH2E. So I had to start somewhere.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    *Edit* On further thought, what was here wasn't something I feel I should've posted. Just a youtube link with no content added from me.

I thought it was an amusing, topical clip, and I am now considering watching Blackadder for reals.
    To give my own thoughts on the discussion of blowing up mines. Wheher they could be removed by the group with gunfire or flamethrower isn't a question of the feasibility in reality, but a question of the needs of the story. The group probably shouldn't just breeze through the obsticle represented by the mine field with nothing more than maybe marking off the ammo use of a flamethrower or weapons, but if they come up with some good reason or plan that they could negate or avoid the obstacle with resources they have, it's the gm's choice at that point. Bonus points if it's a plan that's risky for them and/or fun to play out.

Of course, if the game's been played with relative adherence to reality, then it does matter if mines can be cleared by gunfire or open flames. I could be wrong, but it sounds like that's the tone you're going for, or you wouldn't have asked about it.

Maybe you should let the crappy ganger knockoff mines get cooked by the flamethrower, but now everyone knows they are there, and something is happening.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    yeah, the two functions of a mine are to injure/kill/damage folks and to slow an offense down enough that defenders get a chance to rally

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    At least mines aren't moving targets. Camel spiders, man. Camel spiders.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Ardent wrote: »

So what if my gun is smaller, that just means I need to shoot it more, right?

I mean, you're not wrong...

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I just realized that a lot of the adventure and encounters I wrote relied on the players walking blindly into danger and stopping to sleep each night after each day of travel, They keep going around shit and are taking shifts at nights to drive and sleep.

Going to have to plan smarter for next time.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, since I think someone was asking for it earlier in the thread...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, I guess I'm in on that train then.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I wish we got one with our physical purchase

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I wish we got one with our physical purchase
      How you gonna pay writers with one income stream, fam?

• Options
      I bought a Star Trek Adventures, and sent them an email asking if a PDF came with the book. Gabe the CSR said to send him a pic of me giving the thumbs up with the book and he'll send me a free PDF for STA!

• Options
        The real problem with homebrew settings?

Naming things. Jeez Louise. I've gone with eh well fuck it, I'm not selling this. Some stuff can be a commonly used name.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
      • Options
        SleepSleep Registered User regular

Naming things. Jeez Louise. I've gone with eh well fuck it, I'm not selling this. Some stuff can be a commonly used name.

The university responsible for discovering learned arcane magic in the current age (They had the first wizards) in my setting, is named miskatonic university.

• Options
        jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
        Sleep wrote: »

The university responsible for discovering learned arcane magic in the current age (They had the first wizards) in my setting, is named miskatonic university.
        The game of Pigsmoke I ran last week took place at Vecna's College for the Unwilling.

The innkeeper in tonight's game is Richard the Ale-Hearted.

• Options
        OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
        A really silly but also fairly useful technique I picked up for generating legit sounding names for people and places is taking the last 2-to-6 letters from one word in a sentence and slapping them together with the first few letters of the next word.

Just make sure you write them down immediately, because you're never going to remember them more than a couple of minutes out.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
      • Options
        Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
        I just mix and match stuff.

The 13th Age game had a porcupine archer named Ash Windhunter (Ash being Scarlett Johansson's character in Sing) and the Hog Mage that was using a bone flute to control a dragon (poorly) was named Fillory (The magical Not-Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe place from The Magicians) and the next character they will meet will be
        A double reference of a Orangutan Librarian named Flynn Carsen. I'll let you guys figure out what the references are there.

• Options

The game of Pigsmoke I ran last week took place at Vecna's College for the Unwilling.

How do you like Pigsmoke? I still haven't read my copy cover to cover.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
      • Options
        jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
        Fuselage wrote: »

It's PbtA, so I almost feel like it's a setting rather than a system? As a shameless bit of self-endorsement, you can see our session here:
        It plays real easy, the default setting is evocative but it's also pretty simple to customize. There's built-in relationships and a build-a-dean section. I ran it on like 30 minutes of prep. I'm not sure I'd want to run like a full 15-20 episode year of games, but I think I could get a solid 4-5 sessions out of it before wanting to get a little messier.

• Options
        Fuselage wrote: »

It's PbtA, so I almost feel like it's a setting rather than a system? As a shameless bit of self-endorsement, you can see our session here:
        It plays real easy, the default setting is evocative but it's also pretty simple to customize. There's built-in relationships and a build-a-dean section. I ran it on like 30 minutes of prep. I'm not sure I'd want to run like a full 15-20 episode year of games, but I think I could get a solid 4-5 sessions out of it before wanting to get a little messier.

Self-endorse away! I'll give it a look. Sometimes I wonder what games, settings, or campaigns would really hold my interest after 15-20 sessions or a year of playing. I feel like I'd run out of juice after a while.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
      • Options
        GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
        edited December 2017
        I actually did not realize Genesys was out until today. I ordered a copy from Miniature Market, who says they have them in stock.

I absolutely adore the Star Wars rpg system. I am really curious about this book.

I have some ideas for a Legend of the Five Rings-style politicial intrigue campaign, I bet Genesys would work really well for it.

GoodKingJayIII on
        Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
      • Options
        I actually did not realize Genesys was out until today. I ordered a copy from Miniature Market, who says they have them in stock.

I absolutely adore the Star Wars rpg system. I am really curious about this book.

I have some ideas for a Legend of the Five Rings-style politicial intrigue campaign, I bet Genesys would work really well for it.

Only the PDF came out today (I think?)

• Options
          Since these guys won’t let me murderize them in the underhive, the settlement they’re going to is going to be filled with the NPCs they missed in the wild and more social stuff.

• Options
          GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Hm. Well they charged me shipping for something!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
        • Options
          OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Hm. Well they charged me shipping for something!

The physical book exists and can be bought. It's just that the pdf lagged a week.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
        • Options
          With Genesys out in PDF for $20 on DriveThruRPG, I guess I will be looking to switch Eclipse Phase over so I can finally play it. If any game should be an easy port, I think it will be.

• Options
          Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
          RPG playtesters always have interesting names and you'll find them at the start or back of the book!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
        • Options
          Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
          Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
          Jacobkosh wrote: »
          Star Trek Adventures just came out in PDF a few months ago and in hardcopy last month. It is the first new Star Trek game since like, 2000, and the first really good one ever. It's terrific, and the rules really bring the feel of the show to the forefront - for instance, it includes rules for using the scientific method to solve problems. All of my players, even the one who isn't a Trekkie, are leaning forward and actively engaging with the game. Another player, who is a Star Trek fan but doesn't have any experience with non-D&D RPGs, expressed amazement that he could have so much fun in a game where he never fought anything.
          The first time one of my players did a sweep of a hull for baryons to discover if it had been through any warp travel left me with my jaw dropped and my Google opened to Memory Alpha. The game REALLY benefits from Trekkies and all the crazy obscure shit that they (and I) know.
          I just got the book yesterday, and I'm super pumped to run it. We've never really sat down with much beyond D&D (I did the Firefly RPG in college, but that's about it), so branching out should be a good time.

• Options
          Ken OKen O Registered User regular
          This week during our ETU game my character jumped onto a mummified crocodile so he could stab it with a knife. That was pretty great.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
          Comics, Games, Booze
        • Options
          Looking at the Genesys PDF, does the Genesys dice have a kind of Force Dice?