As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Game Awards 2018] Habemus doritos papem.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The best weapon durability system is one where your weapons don't break, actually

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'd have preferred it if BOTW had blacksmiths. Give you the option to repair and upgrade weapons before or after they break. Ultimately allow you to add extra effects to your gear; like the system that's already in place, but without the random factor. Hell, maybe allow you to upgrade the Master Sword, but it requires dragon bits.

Eventually end the game with a suite of well-honed weapons that fit your fighting style.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The best weapon durability system is one where your weapons don't break, actually

I get this sentiment, but I also get why Nintendo didn't go this route. They could have made the durability a bit better but they wanted players to try out different weapons instead of sticking with one.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

I get this sentiment, but I also get why Nintendo didn't go this route. They could have made the durability a bit better but they wanted players to try out different weapons instead of sticking with one.

Then make fewer weapons that offer more distinct playstyles that actually entice players to try them out instead of just going “nah fuck you” because they prefer fighting with a sword over a spear or something.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My worry is if they take this as a sign that future Zelda games need to build on this design. As much as I loved the game, everything that made it great or unique, I think came at the cost of replayability. I'm trying to replay it, and I'm finding it really hard now that the magic and freshness of it is gone. Playing on Master mode is probably exacerbating things. I'm using a map guide to find the korok seeds, because fuck the inventory system, and fuck the korok seed bloat I'm required to do. I'm simply walking away from almost every fight, because fuck the durability system, why should I destroy half my weapons killing this white bokoblin when I know the reward is now and will never be worth it? I've now got to find the shrines again, and the joy of exploration and finding them is gone because I already know where (some) of them are.

Again, love the game. But you can sit me down with any other Zelda, and I'll happily play it to completion. This one... I don't think I can. And I wonder if this feeling is shared by anybody else.

If they did another game in this style, would I like it equal or better to BotW? I'd like to think yes, on the grounds that the game and story would still be brand new. But if they copied a lot of mechanics verbatim? Well, again I already went through the wonder of exploring, if you make me do it again I'm more likely to see it just for the game mechanic it really is.

I think that's what it boils down for me. The first time through, all the game mechanics were covered in a veneer of wonder and newness, coupled with the brand new way to play (for a Zelda game). Now that that newness has worn off, the game mechanics are laid bare. And for quite a few of them... I don't think they're very good game mechanics.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Wow, did Horizon really not win a single award? I'm pretty surprised at that.

Yeah, I'm catching up now and am legit surprised.

Look, I read all the posts getting here, I know it's seen by some as overhyped, but 6 nominations and not a single award won? :-(

(yes yes yes, 'honour to be nominated' (a lot) and whatnot aside)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    Wow, did Horizon really not win a single award? I'm pretty surprised at that.

Yeah, I'm catching up now and am legit surprised.

Look, I read all the posts getting here, I know it's seen by some as overhyped, but 6 nominations and not a single award won? :-(

(yes yes yes, 'honour to be nominated' (a lot) and whatnot aside)

Look at it this way. Horizon is amazing. And it didn't win anything? Just means the other games were also friggin' amazing.

This really was a banner year, all things considering.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Ahaha remembed that leaked marketing plan for A Way Out? This is the last bullet point on it:

“Josef as a personality is a plus, his passion is great, but need to watch out for controversy.”

They knew.

AyPEZ4i.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    eelektrik wrote: »

By making the weapons breakable it introduces a strategy element where you have to choose which weapons to use when and on whom. Much better than finding a cool sword that you use for 5 or 6 minutes then never use again after you find another with slightly better stats. I'd rather have a bag full of weapons that are useful than a bag of weapons that are good for nothing but taking to a junk merchant

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The weakness of the durability system in BotW is that early game, before you have much inventory space, it really, really blows. Once you've got space for like...more than one of each weapon "type" then it became a lot more enjoyable, and worked to encourage the player to try out different weapon styles, etc.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I still maintain that different weapon types perform better against certain enemies than others. Not a matter of the damage, but rather how much the durability is worn down.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The weakness of the durability system in BotW is that early game, before you have much inventory space, it really, really blows. Once you've got space for like...more than one of each weapon "type" then it became a lot more enjoyable, and worked to encourage the player to try out different weapon styles, etc.

I think the point where bokogoblins start to often carry dragonbone clubs is when the system stopped feeling restrictive. Those things were strong enough for almost anything and easily replaced.

But there was still an issue of the interface for getting a new weapon out being a bit clunky to use. It's any issue every open world game that lets you swap items in combat has had with the possible exception of Nier: Automata since that had weapon sets you could swap between with a button press but even then that was still only two sets.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I think the point where bokogoblins start to often carry dragonbone clubs is when the system stopped feeling restrictive. Those things were strong enough for almost anything and easily replaced.

But there was still an issue of the interface for getting a new weapon out being a bit clunky to use. It's any issue every open world game that lets you swap items in combat has had with the possible exception of Nier: Automata since that had weapon sets you could swap between with a button press but even then that was still only two sets.

Weapon swapping with the d-pad wasn't an issue.

It's armor set swapping which is the most irritating thing in that game.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Weapon swapping with the d-pad wasn't an issue.

It's armor set swapping which is the most irritating thing in that game.

It may not have been an issue for you, but I and many others still found it annoying especially if you had a really large collection. I found it easier to go into the full menu normally. And we both agree going into the full menu often was annoying and not something that's been well solved in a game with meaningful armor choices yet. Had the exact same issue in HZD to the point where I just left on the melee protection armor most of the game unless I was specifically in a story mission with lots of ranged attacks and no stealth.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I still maintain that different weapon types perform better against certain enemies than others. Not a matter of the damage, but rather how much the durability is worn down.

Sure. You learn quickly not to use your nice swords on the rock monsters.

But later in the game, you are using claymores to mine gems.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Drill shafts, yo. One stab = gems

Enlong on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Zelda deserves all the awards simply for being an open-world game that doesn’t feel like a half-assed and frequently broken theme park. Ubisoft and Bethesda lost a lot of excuses this year.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Regarding the thread title, I was listening to Keighley's interview on Kotaku's Split/Screen podcast, and apparently Doritos wanted to do an ad campaign with The Game Awards....where Keighley wore a Pope Doritos costume for some/most of the awards ceremony.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    That might have killed the joke for good.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean Keighley's strategy of laughing it off already paid off ages ago

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    In tangentially related news, viewership for The Game Awards apparently tripled compared to last year:

Obviously that number could be handily cherry-picked, but at the very least people picked a good year to tune in given how much better the presentation was compared to last year

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Edit - Oh goddamn it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Wrong thread, duder.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @Henroid I'm trying to guess what thread that SHOULD be in without actually watching the video, but so far I've got nothing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Probably the Game Grumps thread.

Also, on man poor Dan. This game is going to be soul crushing to him.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Oh goddamn it I can't believe I've done that after all these years.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well this is straight out of left field, especially coming off his Game Award and Twitch Streamer of the Year awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7i4ownEQIY

Kinda hard to watch, sounds like he made a horrible mistake. He'll probably be gone for a while, which is the right move.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Well, he defended Pewds dropping the N-bomb. So...not really out of left field, no.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I can't tell if it's part of the act or not.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I don't watch him and I know he plays a character but his body language looks genuine. Seems he made a horrendous mistake and before the internet got light of it he announced what he has done to save some collateral damage.

Being unfaithful though, there is no defense for that. Massive impact of trust in your relationship permanently scarred.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm okay with Zelda winning due to one simple fact: it's an open world game where being open world actually enhances the experience, and those are rare as fuck. Witcher 3 is fun, but the open world is a straight up detriment from all the plots and questlines and story and the like and only really serves to add distance to places and random marker busywork. Elder Scrolls games make exploring feel boring and samey. Assassin's Creed the same but squared. And so on.

So if this award ends up with people paying attention to how Nintendo did it, I'll be happy.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I don't watch him and I know he plays a character but his body language looks genuine. Seems he made a horrendous mistake and before the internet got light of it he announced what he has done to save some collateral damage.

Being unfaithful though, there is no defense for that. Massive impact of trust in your relationship permanently scarred.

I saw some Kotaku comments in the article about him from people who are bigger Dr Disrespect fans than I am that it was likely a mix of both. He had to let his audience know he'd be gone for a bit because otherwise he'd be hounded by people asking where he had gone/why no new videos/etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

December 6, mark your calendars. I'll update the OP with the appropriate nominees when they get announced next Tuesday.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    The Game Awards decided to be represented by a bomb explosion.

I still can't blame people for not taking games or this advertising show seriously.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am looking forward to the nominations for Milkshake Duck 2018

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I still can't blame people for not taking games or this advertising show seriously.

Wait is Giant bomb hosting the awards this year?
    That's rad

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I can if the only reason they look down on the show or games is because of some inoffensive little animation like that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Trending Gamer is no more. Keighley gave a few details about the show in an interview and said "Trending Gamer has been split into "Content Creator" (YouTube/Twitch/etc) and "Global Gaming Citizen" which is more about community figures and evangelizers."

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Trending Gamer is no more. Keighley gave a few details about the show in an interview and said "Trending Gamer has been split into "Content Creator" (YouTube/Twitch/etc) and "Global Gaming Citizen" which is more about community figures and evangelizers."

….that sentence makes me feel so goddamn old.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I can if the only reason they look down on the show or games is because of some inoffensive little animation like that.

Well, of course I'm talking about the advertising show as a whole. The animation is just another piece of the puzzle that continues the running joke.

Lilnoobs on