As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC crashing? issue

Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having this infrequent but annoying issue with my desktop that I use as a HTPC. Basically I have a desktop hooked up to a normal TV, quite often I will turn off the monitor or switch to a different device (roku or smart TV), and occasionally when I try and switch back to the desktop there will be nothing there. As in the TV reports no signal from that input.

At first I thought it was a handshake issue for the video signal, but the computer also seems unresponsive. I've tried using win+X keystrokes to try and blindly get the computer to shutdown/restart and nothing happens. I've tried mapping specific hotkeys to initiate a restart and nothings happens. I have an IR receiver and a program that watches for IR inputs, which I've setup to restart when it sees a certain IR input, and again nothing happens. Inevitably the only thing that works is hitting the reset button on the case which does initiate a restart and everything comes back as normal.

There's never an event log associated with the issue, except for the unexpected shutdown when I hit the reset button. I also never have issues while I am actively using the pc. It's possible that it is a sleep issue (where usb ports are disabled so none of my external devices can wake the pc?), but at this point I've turned off every kind of hibernate/sleep/low power functionality I can find in the power settings and it still happens.

Computer is running windows 10, it is a nvidia 750ti video card, and I use an active DP to HDMI adapter from accell. I've tried updating the graphics driver a few times and it doesn't seem to have any effect. I believe I tried removing the adapter at one point (using just hdmi) and I still had the issue, but I'm not 100% on that. I may try again.

Probably a long shot but if anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestions. My Wife Acceptance Factor is taking a hit with this problem.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
Jebus314 on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Try digging into the BIOS for sleep settings. I'm guessing it's set up to go into some sort of deep sleep/Hibernate mode that -- as you said -- either shuts down or ignores input from USB ports.

Unlikely, but also see if you have Wake-On-LAN turned on or not.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Puzzling issue. I does seem like your computer is frozen.
    A quick way to check if a computer is frozen is to hit one of the keys on the keyboard that has a indicator LED. So next time to check try Caps-Lock or Num-Lock and see. Note though that it may not work in all cases, since in principal the keyboard support can be frozen on its own.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I tried looking around the UEFI interface, but I didn’t see anything related to USB sleep states. The only sleep setting I saw was for suspend to ram (which I think is S3), and it was disabled (probably by me some time ago). Wake on LAN was not turned on, but I’m not sure how that helps me since I don’t have any way to send a wake signal over LAN.

I tried hitting the caps lock key when it was not responsive and the light did not come on. So I guess that confirms that the computer is frozen? I can also confirm that fans and LEDs are still on for the case, so it doesn’t seem like it is in any kind of sleep mode.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Shot in the dark: does it happen if you move the inputs to unused USB ports?

You may want to do some searches related to your TV model and it being connected to a HTPC. Without much knowledge there, I wonder if there is some sort of feedback signal that either isn't happening or is sending info that your computer doesn't like.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Can you ensure that any firewall on the machine is disabled and see if you can ping the machine when it does this?

Alternatively if it does is after long periods of inactivity can you set a screensaver to run forever and see if it stays responsive?