As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm not married to Grey Knights if they aren't a viable army but they interest me. When I played 40k more regularly I was an Eldar player and while the Eldar still interest me I wanted to try something different. I'm not as interested in stock standard Space Marines. As much as Roboute Guilliman seems broken as a unit I probably couldn't stomach playing Ultramarines to use him. If I did play Space Marines I'd definitely go Space Wolves as they have a lot of unique units.

I'm leaning towards the starter box just not being a good buy for me. It's tempting because it's a good value but standard Space Marines aren't my jam and if I played Chaos I'd want to do a Thousand Sons army.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I want to buy the DI box mainly for the Primaris and the rulebook, but I'm worried at this late date that I wouldn't be able to offload the DG stuff.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The Nurgle stuff still sells well, especially the poxwalkers and drones. Only thing you’ll have to give away cheap is probably the special characters.

R’Booty isn’t super broken, IMO. You’re paying a huge premium for rerolls if he’s in a gunline, and if he’s assaulting it’s with subpar marines. He’s a bear to try and kill, for sure.

Space Wolves are pretty rad, not least of all because their color scheme is the most variable thing ever. Is it baby blue? Grey? Who knows!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited December 2017
    Would any of the Primaris stuff in the box be useful for Space Wolves? Space Wolves always seemed to run a lot of SW specific, specialized, units...but that's knowledge from old editions, not really sure about 8th.

e: Answered my own question by looking at some competitive Space Wolves lists. Almost no Primaris, mostly Space Wolves specific stuff like Grey Hunters. A few Primaris Captains and Intercessors Squads here and there, but not enough to justify the boxed set for me I don't think.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Would any of the Primaris stuff in the box be useful for Space Wolves? Space Wolves always seemed to run a lot of SW specific, specialized, units...but that's knowledge from old editions, not really sure about 8th.

e: Answered my own question by looking at some competitive Space Wolves lists. Almost no Primaris, mostly Space Wolves specific stuff like Grey Hunters. A few Primaris Captains and Intercessors Squads here and there, but not enough to justify the boxed set for me I don't think.

That is one of the many questions my brother has for the Space Wolves

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I don't really like Space Wolves so I don't keep up with their lore, but I thought I heard something about how they had basically refused to accept Primaris Marines into their ranks and instead made them all form their own chapter.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I don't really like Space Wolves so I don't keep up with their lore, but I thought I heard something about how they had basically refused to accept Primaris Marines into their ranks and instead made them all form their own chapter.

Reverse fursecution

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Space Wolves are basically a mary sue fanfiction tier chapter, let's be honest.

Somehow GW managed to take a setting as cool sounding as "Vikings in Spaaaaaaaaaace" and make it lame.

Space Wolves have a weird command structure, so I can see them putting all the Primaris in their own separate organization to avoid problems.

Magnus beat the crap out of them and messed their planet up pretty bad though, refusing to accept any new wolfarines probably isn’t an option.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that wolves can use primaris but for me they seem the least interesting thing you can do with the wolves.

I do think the Blood Angels might be one of the more interesting ones you can do it. Maybe even make Primaris Reivers interesting.

I am curious to see the full Dark Angel's codex some crazy shit in there I think.

Also there is always chaos.

We aren't bad anymore!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Space Wolves are rad

04xkcuvaav19.png
    When/if Thousand Sons gets a codex, that will be my gateway in to Chaos.

Next year.

They had their own section of the codex and considering the current release schedule Thousand Sons will get their codex next year some time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Space wolves can use all the primaris options.

As a bonus space wolf intercessors are pretty funny in combat with the true grit strategem.

Also yeah selling the DG stuff is pretty easy. A box set drone costs £30 on its own and seeing as the other weapon options are massively outclassed by the flamers it’s an easy sale. It’s also the only reasonable way to get poxwalkers.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

*throws towel over box of Rubric Marines and Sorcerers*

edited December 2017
    I decided to go Grey Knights. I know they don't have Primaris marines yet, and I know some people say they are not that strong and hard to play well...but they interest me, and I've always found I stick harder when something interests me than when I pick something just for viability or competitive play. Going to order the Codex and Chapter Approved books tonight and then get a squad of strikers and the paints I need to paint them.

It's been years since I painted so it's going to take me time just to get my technique back. For my first squad I just want to get a good base coat on with some shading and dry brushing and some decent detail. Not looking to go super fancy, just playable and nice looking from normal table distances. That said, I found the Citadel Paint app yesterday and it's pretty great. Shows what colors I need for certain techniques with explanation videos. Very nice tool.

GnomeTank on
    Grey Knights have a pretty simple color scheme that’s easy to make look good. And you should always go with what you like over what other people say has better rules.

I’ve settled on a color scheme for my Nids. I was in a local game store getting paints when I saw a big poster of some Magic the Gathering characters, and one was this gnarly porcelain/skinless red monster lady called Elesh Norn.
    Gonna try and replicate that with gloss bone carapaces and lots of tamiya clear red over all the fleshy bits.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I love my Grey Knights. They've never been good in the editions I've played (having apparently just missed a super OP time in 5th) but they always capture the feeling of a super elite army, and there's just something very satisfying about deep striking in the (IMO) best looking Terminators in the game and casting a million psychic powers.

I think a grey knights only army is a bit weak.

But they match amazingly well with Tempestus Psions which are the old Imperial Stormtroopers under a new name. And of all the stuff that makes the most sense to work with anyway since it would be the inquisition.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Chapter Approved and Codex Adeptus Astartes Grey Knights ordered. I should probably just go ahead and order Codex Space Marines as well I guess...

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Grey Knights have a pretty simple color scheme that’s easy to make look good. And you should always go with what you like over what other people say has better rules.

I’ve settled on a color scheme for my Nids. I was in a local game store getting paints when I saw a big poster of some Magic the Gathering characters, and one was this gnarly porcelain/skinless red monster lady called Elesh Norn.
    Gonna try and replicate that with gloss bone carapaces and lots of tamiya clear red over all the fleshy bits.

I love that colour scheme and have definitely considered painting up some Dark Eldar in it.

In fact I'm constantly having to repress the urge to strip my whole army and start over with it. I'm just so fed up of painting purple.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, that should be a pretty dope scheme for nids.
    I'm always considering redoing mine into something a little less drab and dreary, but the thought of doing all those gaunts again...

I’ve got around 40 gaunts and about as many genestealers, and they’re getting the barest minimum of paint jobs. It’s the scuttling tide of bodies that makes it look impressive, not any individual details. White base coat, gloss flesh shade on top, gooped red on the bottom, hit the eyes with...green maybe, and done. The big bugs get the treats.

Their bases will probably take longer than the models, because I was a fool and put a bunch of terrain bits on everything and want it to look like fleshy Zerg creep.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

Lots of thin layers of porcelain white, with a strong counter colour, on a horde army? Your definitely going to have to put some thought into how to do the dumbed down easy version for gaunts, or go insane.
    That's going to be a horrendously unforgiving scheme to mass produce, and tricky to get the swarm to match the fancier big ones - the brain seems a lot better at picking out whites against an offwhite background compared to shades of darker greys and browns.

Think I'd either go bloodier the lower down you go (where their shields haven't had time to grow and harden), or just focus on faces and guns with the red and hints of brown ink whilst leaving the rest mostly white. Could see a flat white/bone, with red/brown just at the edges and then a thicker gloss white on the shells working. Still a little fiddly but on the edge of mass-producible. You'd also need to consider your base carefully, and maybe make sure that tones from the models are echo'd there too - smaller bits of driftwood and red weed etc. Going to struggle a little to keep them interesting without adding a much bolder colour to the base that'd draw your eyes away from the models' feature points.

But yeah, a bloody version of the old Behemoth scheme - turning to more new Phyrexian on the larger models with more shades of white and gloss I could see working.

Tastyfish on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I’ve got around 40 gaunts and about as many genestealers, and they’re getting the barest minimum of paint jobs. It’s the scuttling tide of bodies that makes it look impressive, not any individual details. White base coat, gloss flesh shade on top, gooped red on the bottom, hit the eyes with...green maybe, and done. The big bugs get the treats.

Their bases will probably take longer than the models, because I was a fool and put a bunch of terrain bits on everything and want it to look like fleshy Zerg creep.

NOW GET SOME CHEAP GUARDSMEN AND PLAY GENESTEALER CULT WITH BUG ALLIES

I didn't want that to be in caps but I'm not changing it now.

The solution to painting swarms of tyranids effectively isn’t to add in additional swarms of humans! That’s like the opposite of a solution!

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The solution to painting swarms of tyranids effectively isn’t to add in additional swarms of humans! That’s like the opposite of a solution!

Boots and armor, fatigues and gun. Wash. Fini.

This applies to the lil bugs, too. Washes are your friends for assembly lines.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I would love to see Tyranids painted up as White aligned New Phyrexians.

That's like....two of my favorite things in one

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What to do for the carapace plates though? Looking through the cards, volcanic ash grey but that wouldn’t really work on some of the bigger ‘nids….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    So my 8-10 year old nephews have been watching me paint dudes for awhile, they play the 40k games, and unfortunately hearing me talk about my rad hobby has made them want it to be their rad hobby too. They’ve put about a thousand dollars of 40k kits on their Santa list, but their mom has made it pretty clear there’s not to be anything involving the need for superglue or xacto knives under the tree this year. I was thinking of getting them some cheap substitutes like those Reaper Bones marine dudes that are already assembled and some paints, so they can at least have something to mess with. Any other ideas on child-friendly minis that can pass the scrutiny of a mom?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    They’ve just released a bunch of easy build stuff. Clippers is all they’ll need as they’re push fit.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I just received my Secret Santa items, and looking at the Primaris Chaplain and the Reivers, it would be so easy to go Ultramarines, since that's the only set of decals GW sees fit to include.

These models are awesome, though. I can't wait to finish the oldMarine part of my company so I can begin on the Primaris part.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So my 8-10 year old nephews have been watching me paint dudes for awhile, they play the 40k games, and unfortunately hearing me talk about my rad hobby has made them want it to be their rad hobby too. They’ve put about a thousand dollars of 40k kits on their Santa list, but their mom has made it pretty clear there’s not to be anything involving the need for superglue or xacto knives under the tree this year. I was thinking of getting them some cheap substitutes like those Reaper Bones marine dudes that are already assembled and some paints, so they can at least have something to mess with. Any other ideas on child-friendly minis that can pass the scrutiny of a mom?
    They’ve just released a bunch of easy build stuff. Clippers is all they’ll need as they’re push fit.

I read online that the easy build stuff has super thin sprues so they wouldnt even need clippers

edit: the warhammer community post that goes with the release of the easy build stuff says you need clippers so disregard that

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the Know no Fear starter set (with a Death Guard and Primaris army) are all push-fit models that require clippers and maybe a little glue

And coming very soon are push-fit dreadnoughts and the blight-hauler (and I think also aggressors and plague marines?)

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/

Updates on scheduling the FAQs, errata releases, and Chapter Approved.

In addition two beta rules for targeting of characters (same as before but sub 10 wound characters can't screen other sub 10 wound characters) and for reducing Smite spam (cumulative -1 for every previous cast of Smite that turn).

As a wannabe Thousand Sons player that just hurts a bit.

Really hurts Grey Knights, too. But typically the "everyone is a psyker!" armies have a nerfed smite anyway (GK one is only 1 wound and 12 inch range) so if they're smart they'll add an exemption into the rules that nerf their smites.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Really hurts Grey Knights, too. But typically the "everyone is a psyker!" armies have a nerfed smite anyway (GK one is only 1 wound and 12 inch range) so if they're smart they'll add an exemption into the rules that nerf their smites.

All the mini smites should just be destructor from warlocks. Give it wording that allowed multiple casts, there you go.

Norgoth wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

All the mini smites should just be destructor from warlocks. Give it wording that allowed multiple casts, there you go.

The Knights have almost identical wording to destructor for non-characters.

u7stthr17eud.png
    And so it begins...
    9uxXLe1.jpg?1

Just need to figure out how to build the squad. Everyone seems to say I should equip them with Falchions.

Right now you have four weapon choices for any Grey Knight. Sword, Halbred, Falchion or Hammer. Hammers are by design outright superior, double strength, more damage, and costs 13 point. With the Sword, Halbred and Falchion the intent seems to be for them to be sidegrades to each other, Sword is -3 AP, d3 damage, Falchion is +1 Str, -2 AP, d3 damage, Falchion is +1 attack, -2 AP, d3 damage. They are all free.

But, uh, +1 attack is far and away the best choice. It's far superior to +1 strength or -1 AP from the Halbred or Sword, and they're all the same cost, all free.

So yea, right now the optimal choice is to equip them on everyone, but it's pretty clearly mathematically imbalanced compared to the other choices so it'll probably get changed at some point to be a meaningful choice. I mean, we just had a post about their extensive errata and balance schedule, lol!

IMO equip them in whatever way you think is coolest.

This discussion has been closed.