As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommendations for casual games?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
My wife’s Windows 7 computer is close to dying, so I got her a new laptop. However, some of her favourite casual games don’t work with Windows 10, so I was wondering if people here had some tips for replacements.

The casual games she enjoys most are usually of the Mahjong or Match 3 kind, although she likes it if they’re themed (e.g. Caribbean Mahjong, Cradle of Rome) and/or have some sort of narrative framework (like the Jewel Quest games). She also likes hidden object games with a storyline and light adventure elements. Any tips that make the transition to W10 easier for her would be much appreciated.

(For the record, I tried installing Windows 7 on her new laptop - yes, she likes her games that much… - but, well, it wasn’t a success. I got Windows 7 running, but none of the drivers for things like LAN, wifi or USB worked at all, so I was stuck with a computer that couldn’t connect to the internet and I couldn’t put drivers or other software on a USB stick and copy them onto the new laptop…)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Well, don't exactly have a lot of familiarity with that sort of thing, but maybe Fallen London? Mechanically it's a free to play bar filler with actions recharging on a timer, so it might not work if she's looking for something she can sit down and kill half an hour on, but it is easy, and its focus on its writing does elevate it well above what that description of its mechanics would imply. It can be complex sometimes, but in a way that you don't really have to engage with if you don't want to.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Thanks, that's an interesting suggestion. She does like mechanically more 'gamey' games, mainly, but she likes them to have a story or thematic element.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    How about something like Opus Magnum?

It's about designing alchemy machines that take basic materials as input, and you rearrange the atoms to produce something else.

It's a bit more complicated than the games you suggested, but still manages to be really easy to learn the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj689znjxpg

broken image link