As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    My mind is ready. But my body is full of christmas party food from work. I will need someone to periodically shout into the discord "HEY FATASS WAKE UP FROM YOUR GLUTTONY NAP", thank you kindly.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so, a normal session then?

Melding wrote: »
    so, a normal session then?

But with more bathroom breaks!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    If you're a ranged character with martial proficiency who wants to go for something different, combine sharpshooter with nets.

Sharpshooter cancels out the disadvantage. Restraining the enemy gives you advantage on your attack rolls. And if you're willing to take a hit on accuracy, you can add +10 to the damage that your net does.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Couple problems I see with that

1) You don't roll for damage so sharpshooter wouldn't add to anything
    2) Sharpshooter lets you attack from 15 feet but if there's any enemies within 5 feet of you still get disadvantage.
    3) You can only ever make 1 attack on a round you attack with a net, and it's the one you used to throw the net. It's also generally pretty easy to break out of a net. It's either a DC 10 str check or 5 damage from a slashing attack on AC 10.

When I first joined a 5e game, I had really wanted to do a gladiator up. Trident and Net. Just doesn't really work

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The text says you add +10 to the damage, not the damage roll. Not being able to use it within 5 feet is fine because you don't want to be in attack range regardless. And while breaking from the net is easy, it also requires that the enemy waste an action in order to do so.

Not being able to use it with multi-attacks is a bummer, so it's more for support or a way to an action from your enemy (i.e., if you have a lot of team maters who can benefit from advantage). If you have a Monk or a AoE caster on the team, you can also take advantage of inflicting disadvantage on dex saves.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This isn't the regular 5E thread and I'll be damned before I let nets do 10 damage a throw.

Rainfall on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I still need to make that kensei monk who fights with a blowgun

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Blowguns are loading, so no Extra Attack :bigfrown:

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    if I'm using a blowgun, it's entirely out of principle

Miss me? Find me on:

edited December 2017
    Just like people keep clicking on this thread thinking it's the general 5E thread, every so often I accidentally click on that thread, and every fucking time I stumble into an argument so tedious that I worry my brain functions may cease defensively before I can move the cursor to the back button.

Desert Leviathan on
    Just like people keep clicking on this thread thinking it's the general 5E thread, every so often I accidentally click on that thread, and every fucking time I stumble into an argument so tedious that I worry my brain functions may cease defensively before I can move the cursor to the back button.

Yeah, what the heck.

Hey so in other news, since you're apparently all getting divine artifacts to face the Illithilich(and oh shit you'd better believe you'll need them), anyone have any preferences for what they pick up? Obviously I'll apply a healthy measure of customization to whatever you get.

Zephy don't truck with those weird gods from the pre-natural world, or those young upstarts that took all the credit afterwards

elementals, the fey, nature spirits - those are the real gods of the world

so, I dunno, maybe a cool staff, shield, or robe

Miss me? Find me on:

The minutia is the best part!

In my defense, this morning I was waiting to see Star Wars and needed to distract myself from previews (I never watch them if I can help it).

Just now is me being bored due to snow cancelling all my fun plans

Now hold on while I pitch you all on my next character, a dex paladin based on Simon Belmont

ld8l1ag7pzm1.png

No, not that one

latest?cb=20121226200328

That one

the real good shit right there

Miss me? Find me on:

oh yeah, what ar the current stats on the joy bringer? i should probably put those into the thing if i'm going to use it.

Hmm. Hmmmmm. It's going to have to be a weird-ass artifact, compared to standard behavior for them. The important things for Maledict are:

- If it's not small and easily concealed, he won't bother carrying it, regardless of how potent it is. Ostentatious magical shit is just an invitation to get robbed. If it's legendary ancient god shit, that just means it will attract a more discerning and potent caliber of robber. This goes double if it's an article of clothing that's difficult to incorporate into disguises.
    - If it attempts to impose a set of behavior restrictions or expects him to pursue its agenda, and that becomes even slightly burdensome, he will deposit it in a ditch. He already has one too many unwelcome entities growling instructions into his mind, thank you kindly. This is not to suggest that an artifact couldn't influence him, it would just have to be cautious about what psychological levers to pull.
    - A magical weapon would largely be wasted on him, since he has no access to multi-attacks and would refuse to get into melee range anyway. Some kind of magic-enhancing focus would be very nice, but what God is going to have a nature that makes its doodad compatible with the powers granted to him by THE ENTITY? So barring that, some kind of defensive or utility item seems like the best bet.
    - Appropriate god-types for him to be at least partly favorably disposed to might include Fate, Oceans, Secrets, Darkness, Wealth, Deception, the Void, and Consumption. And magic doodad types that fit his general aesthetic style include Jewelry, Masks, Canes, Magic Wands, and the accessories of a Gambler (cards, dice, trick coins, poker chips, lucky charm type talismans).

I'm sorry, my character is basically a big person-shaped wad of Trust Issues propped up by a world-eating space monster.

oh yeah, what ar the current stats on the joy bringer? i should probably put those into the thing if i'm going to use it.

Currently it's a magical halberd that allows you to regain 1d6 hp per round if your HP is above 0 with no attack bonuses.

make Zephy a nature cyborg

fuckin' beefy magic tree limbs for arms

Miss me? Find me on:

treant mech suit

Miss me? Find me on:

A bear mount that can be a there mount by casting misty step

Miss me? Find me on:

a tiny auraj that can fit in her pocket and offer good advice

Miss me? Find me on:

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I post in this thread but is there really a 5e thread?
    Dubh wrote: »
    treant mech suit

There was a book I think called Dragonmech or something that used mechs in a fantasy setting
    It was thought out until you got past humans and it went right off the rails with necromancers making mechs out of various dead things or elves making treant mechs

Brainleech wrote: »
    I know I post in this thread but is there really a 5e thread?
    treant mech suit

There was a book I think called Dragonmech or something that used mechs in a fantasy setting
    It was thought out until you got past humans and it went right off the rails with necromancers making mechs out of various dead things or elves making treant mechs

There's a 5e thread but it sucks butt, you can hang here.

okay, hear me out

instead of tree arms

arms that have been reinforced with magical plant matter

fiberware

Miss me? Find me on:

If Maledict (auto correct keeps trying to turn his name into ‘anal duct’ lol) had a Mech, it would be made out of planes of psionic energy, and it would be totally invisible like Wonder Woman's jet, so that you'd see him suspended twenty feet in the air using his his kinetic feedback pilot
    harness to control its limbs with his own, looking like he's miming stomping on something before the gigantic footprint appears in the dirt below.

He wouldn't actually use it for battle, he'd just park it in inconvenient places and laugh at people crashing their ox carts into it.

i just noticed that rogue has long sword prof but can only light attack with finesse melee weapons.

what is the deal with that?

i just noticed that rogue has long sword prof but can only light attack with finesse melee weapons.

what is the deal with that?

Is there maybe some kind of... Rogue/Barbarian... something...

.... nah, I can't even finish this thought. It's dumb and there's no good reason for it at all.

if they get the sunblade, maybe?

that's the only reason I can think of, because it counts as a finesse weapon

one hell of a maybe, for certain

Miss me? Find me on:

what did we decide on for the next adventure

gotta curate my prepared spells

Miss me? Find me on:

We decided on.. um.. hmm.

I've got to start taking notes, now that I can't lean on my character being a gigantic dumbass to excuse my terrible memory.

I think it was a choice between following Joybringer's lead or checking out the "abandoned" mindflayer lair.

I'm leaning towards investigating the lair. It's closer, and Angus would probably want to see if there's any booty left.

Also, Angus would argue for a 1or 2 day delay as he'd like to cast Hallow and reconsecrate the area with all the undead.

Could also do it afterwards I suppose, but I dunno about leaving some kind of undead ghoul king around.

Even if we made him dead again. Re-dead? Un-undead?

Mal would find Hallowing the site an acceptable compromise to his own desire to turn the whole area into a smoking crater.

everyone gonna get darkvision this time

Miss me? Find me on:

edited December 2017
    We on tomorrow at the usual time? If work manages to not be shitty for one day this week, I may get back ahead enough on projects to actually take a full lunch and enter my spells onto my online sheet, or maybe even finish some more character drawings

Desert Leviathan on
    Should be!!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Well how does one find a eye doctor in D&D? is it a special mage? A goblin? A beholder? or a demon's pact?

edited December 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »

Well how does one find a eye doctor in D&D? is it a special mage? A goblin? A beholder? or a demon's pact?

You got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.

Rainfall on
    missed opportunity to make a Tortle Riddick

also, we on today?

Miss me? Find me on: