As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 2018 Restaurant Thread

imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
Older threads...
2014 Restaurant/Food Thread
2015 Restaurant/Food Thread
2016 Restaurant/Food Thread
2017 Restaurant/Food Thread

It’s that time of year again! Food is one of my favorite parts of traveling and PAX is no different. The Seaport area has experienced a lot of growth in the past few years and new restaurants have been cropping up - I figured another one of these threads couldn’t hurt.

So far as my recommendations are concerned...

BonMe Fort Point - Less than $10/person - http://www.bonmetruck.com/menu/
My top recommendation. This place is about a half a mile from BCEC and they have awesome Vietnamese sandwiches. Seriously, my fiancée and I wish we had one of these shops back home. Food is great and it’s usually pretty quiet in there (compared to PAX)

Tikkaway - Less than $10/person - http://www.tikkaway.com
The Indian version of chipotle. They offer rice bowls with your choice of protein and tons of veggies. This franchise actually started up in my hometown in Connecticut and I was so excited to see that they opened one up in the Seaport district last year!

faPgNTD

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Here is my spreadsheet based upon yelp reviews and past recommendations. I still need to update some items and will try to update as time allows but hope it helps! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZUpPdHisyhDPMJoN0wgwkXHUqzB-7FPoA4KlhRZQ-g/edit?usp=sharing

DXLJjjr.png
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Fire + Ice is a must go to place for me. Worth the subway trip :)

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Not too far from Fire + Ice and not on the spreadsheet is Parish Cafe, located on Boylston St near the southeast corner of the Gardens. Fantastic sandwiches and an okay beer selection. It's a long walk for a sandwich, but if you're roaming around the area anyways, it's a great spot. If weather permits, they have a front patio that is rather popular. Their double-decker meatloaf sandwich is my favorite there.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • brokenvegetablebrokenvegetable Virtual Photographer BostonRegistered User regular
    fanuel hall is always a great stop... not near the convention center but has a mass of Boston food in it.

Fire and Ice is a very well wroth place for food. I would say its at the bottom of expensive but well worth it. $25/person

Friendly Toast which is also a little subway trip away. a bit on the high side but worth it. $20/person

Near the convention center you dont have much.

The north End is the best place for pastry or oysters/italian food. $30/person Aside from pizza

24 hour pastry shop in the north end is Bova's BEST pastry hands down. and its open all day and night every day and night. It's located on salam st. just before the hill. its average for price. Its very easy to spend $15 on three items

All depends on how much your willing to pay for food. The best places are also the most expensive.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It leans towards expensive, but I really liked Sweet Cheeks Q. It's a bbq place pretty close to Fenway. It has easily the best biscuits I've ever tasted, and when my son ordered a large side of mac n cheese for his dinner, it was served in an old fashioned blue pot. Good fried chicken too.

Also Fire and Ice is delightful.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    The Friendly Toast in Back Bay area, best breakfast you'll get in Boston

5fhxvn385q28.png
    starNOstar wrote: »
    Be warned that there are crazy long lines during peak. Once I was told it was a 2-hour wait... for breakfast. Not ragging on the place, just noting the insane lines I've seen on my way to work.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    starNOstar wrote: »
    Be warned that there are crazy long lines during peak. Once I was told it was a 2-hour wait... for breakfast. Not ragging on the place, just noting the insane lines I've seen on my way to work.

Yea, that's no joke. Longest waits I've ever seen. But the good thing is they are on the NoWait app, so you can technically get in a virtual line there

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yo if you head straight down summer street, past south station (So take a left out of the front of convention center and just keep going on that road), all the way to the Macy's there is a roche brothers across the street from there. It's a decent grocery store where I get my lunch like every day for work. They have a ton of reasonably priced prepared foods, including sushi that definitely gets the job done.

Sleep on
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Yes, Tikkaway!!!! I stumbled upon them last year: Indian food, Chipotle-style! Lots of vegetarian options, and the iced coffee and limeade were great. They had just opened, and the owner was amazingly friendly and very appreciative that I told him about the con, set them up a facebook location, and mentioned them on last year's food thread. A bit of a walk from the BCEC, but it shouldn't be as cold as last year so I'll definitely be making it at least of the days!

If you're going to Chinatown and have a big appetite: The Hot Pot Buffet is very worth the price if you go hungry.

UyhWici.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Yo if you head straight down summer street, past south station (So take a left out of the front of convention center and just keep going on that road), all the way to the Macy's there is a roche brothers across the street from there. It's a decent grocery store where I get my lunch like every day for work. They have a ton of reasonably priced prepared foods, including sushi that definitely gets the job done.

This is awesome to know, usually stay at the hotel right above the Macys.

edited January 2018

Then you'll want to know that just down Washington Street, there is a Walgreens that also sells alcohol. You'll have everything you need.

Le_Goat on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Ooh also when you go to this place don't miss the stairs down on the left from the entrance... that's where the real grocery store (that also is a liquor store) is.

Sleep on
  • smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I would love to hear more suggestions about restaurants in South Boston, since it's about a 20 minute walk south of the convention center and you don't have to cross the evil bridge towards South Station which is unbearable if it's cold out, especially in cosplay. I know there are a ton of restaurants on West Broadway but I've only been to Loco Taqueria which is an amazing spot for dinner. I have heard awesome things about Certified Meatball Company and Moonshine 152, but have never been.

• BinaryPieBinaryPie Registered User regular
    smorggie wrote: »
    I would love to hear more suggestions about restaurants in South Boston, since it's about a 20 minute walk south of the convention center and you don't have to cross the evil bridge towards South Station which is unbearable if it's cold out, especially in cosplay. I know there are a ton of restaurants on West Broadway but I've only been to Loco Taqueria which is an amazing spot for dinner. I have heard awesome things about Certified Meatball Company and Moonshine 152, but have never been.

With East being in April this year and a bit of luck it shouldn't be as brutally cold as it has been for the early March Easts we've had in the past. Hopefully the weather isn't a problem this time.

• youreawolfyoureawolf Registered User new member
    Anyone know where to get good vegan food? :)

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Is Harpoon Brewery any good? I tell myself im going to check it out every year and end up passing, I think one year it was there St Paddys Day celebration and it was nuts.

Id also like to add that last year my group went to A4CADE (bar/arcade with food) in Cambridge and it had one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Is Harpoon Brewery any good? I tell myself im going to check it out every year and end up passing, I think one year it was there St Paddys Day celebration and it was nuts.

Id also like to add that last year my group went to A4CADE (bar/arcade with food) in Cambridge and it had one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had.

Personally I really enjoy harpoon. They have a great beer hall with a wide selection of beers and the pretzels are always yummy.

DXLJjjr.png
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Food? I'm in. Also Harpoon is dope.

• imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular

Yes! The year PAX lines up with St. Patrick’s day was disappointing because it was (understandably) overrun. I am not usually one for breweries. If I want a beer I will just go to a bar, but this is a great space. Beer is fantastic and as the other user mentioned, the soft pretzels are phenomenal. They come with a variety of dipping sauces.

Worth noting that it will be 3/4 PAX people in there and usually at night there’s a PAX related party. Last year blizzard ran a fireside gathering and some of the devs showed up. Very cool.

faPgNTD
  • sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular

Yes! The year PAX lines up with St. Patrick’s day was disappointing because it was (understandably) overrun. I am not usually one for breweries. If I want a beer I will just go to a bar, but this is a great space. Beer is fantastic and as the other user mentioned, the soft pretzels are phenomenal. They come with a variety of dipping sauces.

Worth noting that it will be 3/4 PAX people in there and usually at night there’s a PAX related party. Last year blizzard ran a fireside gathering and some of the devs showed up. Very cool.

The benefit of harpoon is that if you are into craft beer, they have many types that you can only try at the brewery, and sometimes some of those never make it to market.

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    youreawolf wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get good vegan food? :)

Tikkaway which was mentioned in OP's post, has vegan and veggie options! By Chloe is in the area too, though I haven't eaten there.

https://eatbychloe.com

UyhWici.png
  • djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    sfford2008 wrote: »

The benefit of harpoon is that if you are into craft beer, they have many types that you can only try at the brewery, and sometimes some of those never make it to market.

Had a company event at Harpoon and the tap room is just awesome.

Also, Trillium has a brew hall in Canton and the Boston beer co brewery (aka Sam Adams) is awesome as well.

MvyuK6O.png
    smorggie wrote: »

Worden Hall is cool place for upscale pub fare. When I worked downtown, I would often go here to grab a beer and maybe a snack while waiting for my ride.

Stephi's is supposed to be ok.

According to my wife Moonshine 152 is supposed to be pretty good.

Also, if you aren't vegan and never had a proper minced meat pie (i.e. English) then try KO Pies (owner's Australian). I've been there a handful of times over the years and it's good.

I've been to Shenannigan’s a few times and well I can't speak for the food the drinks are usually good. It's a traditional Boston bar.

MvyuK6O.png
    edited February 2018
    I would like to raise the Quincy Center (red line stop) restaurant scene is kinda killing it right now.

I would recommend any of the following restaurants:

The Townshend makes awesome drinks and the food is pretty good as well.
    Sher-a-Punjab pretty good Indian plus they make Dosa (think Indian Crepes)
    Zef Cicchetti ( multiple friends love this place)
    KKatie's Burger (pretty good burgers)
    Fuji @ WoC (really good sushi)
    Pho Pasteur (same as the one in chinatown)
    16C Awesome flatbread pizza and good overall drinks and food
    Shaking Crab - you'll need to check out their website to see what the hub bub is about

Also, I would recommend the following quincy are restaurants

Near north quincy station

Pho linh - good pho
    Taipei - Taiwanese cuisine, it's pretty good according to my wife's Taiwanese aunt.

Near Wollaston's T station, but wollaston's T station is temporary closed to add handicap functions; so these will be annoying to get to:

Windsor Dim Sum - pretty good dim sum and definitely less intimidating than normal cart lady dim sum places
    Fuji - imho best sushi in quincy.

Just a Milton mention:

If you want to go to a NKoTB restaurant and Walhburger's isn't your thing, then try Novara which is co-owned by Jordan Knight. People have seen him here from time to time.

djlybs on
    MvyuK6O.png
    Near the convention Center with 5-15 min walk

If you like steak and can swing the Seaport has about 3-4 steak houses

between seaport blvd and Summer street
    Shake Shack - you know shake shack
    Chipotle
    Aceituna Grill - Mediterranean/shawarma
    Rosa Mexicano - I've been here multiple times and would recommend getting the table side guac
    La Casa de Pedro - Tapas and darn good
    Flour - good bakery and sandwich shop (been to other locations and those were good)
    Legal seafood has two restaurants (harbor-side and test-kitchen)
    Cafe Nero
    Lucky's Lounge
    sweetgreen
    Blue dragon - Ming Tsai's restaurant
    plenty of seafood options: No Name, Row 34, 75 on Liberty Wharf

near broadway T stop (< than a mile/15 minute walk)
    Moonshine 152
    Stephi's
    Worden Hall
    Subway
    KO pies

Not really a complete list but I've either been to or hear good things about these restaurants.

MvyuK6O.png
  • Dolphins397Dolphins397 Registered User regular
    Slightly more expensive but such a good place and well worth the little splurge - Bell in Hand Tavern, Americas oldest tavern! (Union st. near Govt. Center Blue Line)

In Little Italy (North End, Near the Aquarium):
    La Cantina Italian -Expensive for dinner, slightly less expensive prices for lunch, again, worth the splurge. amazing Authentic Italian
    You HAVE to stop at Mikes Pastries - CASH ONLY, dont let the line intimidate you, if you've been waiting in PAX lines and survived them, this line is nothing even if its out the door- they server like 8 people at the same time, so it moves quick. Tiramisu and the peanut butter cannoli are my go-to's.

Like others have said, Quincy Market/ Fannueil Hall are awesome, a little bit of a tourist trap I feel. Hopefully its open by then though, they closed it a while ago for renovations, i dont recall when they are supposed to open.

Winning wife of the year this year for surprising my husband with PAX tickets for the first time ever!
  • SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Eataly - recently opened. it’s touristy and crowded but a fun place to walk around for a bit. There’s sit down and quick eats stuff

Lady M - expensive but their Mille crepe slices are unique and something to die for

Santouka Ramen - it’s a tiny place so it’s hard to get a spot without waiting but one of the better ramen places

Cafe Vittoria - skip the lines as Mikes Pastries (it’s not bad just over hyped) and go literally next door instead. Their iced cafe mocha is the real deal

James T Hook - want a lobster sandwich that isn’t just all claw meat, shredded lobster and cole slaw? This place will give you your money’s worth of real lobster meat

Pauli's - Don't go for the tourist trap nonsense in Fanieul Hall. Cross the parkway and head over to Pauli's for a lobster sandwich. They're full of actual meat, and for a bit extra they fry it in butter which is like amazing so yeah definitely get that.

Neptune Oyster - If you're heading to Pauli's and think "holy wtf is this line for!!" Its for Neptune Oyster next door. Its a good seafood place. The problem is without reservations the thing is like a 2 hour wait. Its good, but if you're interested make a reservation, unless you're a Hobbit and need "Second Dinner" at 9pm

Ogawa Coffee - are you a coffee lover? Skip Starbucks and the "Brown Water" Dunkin serves. This place is originally from Japan and they’re not screwing around. They have stuff to go, but honestly sit down and wait for a fresh cup. Its very very good.

Satoru on
    edited March 2018
    The You Have More Money Than God Category

Did you win the lottery? Do you have a rich friend who loves paying for dinner? Are you on a corporate account and need to impress someone? Well here are all the dumb places you can go to blow more money than you ever imagined possible (Unless you live in New York City in which case this list looks like a poor man's version of the NYC Michelin Guide)

Menton - Positives its within walking distance of the BCEC! Negatives its like $170+ a person, requires a reservation, and takes like 2 hours to go through their menu. Basically French food which is huge plates with tiny portions. Like I said you're burning money right?

L'Esplaier - Where poor rich people go if they can't go to Menton since its only like $100 a person! Its a bargain I tell ya! Again French food so expect tiny portion on giant plates

Del Frisco's Double Eagle Stake House - Hey another place walking distance from the BCEC! Hope you appreciate saving that Uber ride because that Wagyu Steak for $100 isn't gonna cook itself for you. Don't worry there are more "reasonably priced" options like a $50 filet mignon! with no sides..... Seriously why do all the fancy steak houses never give you sides!!

If you're going to any of these places please invite me and pay the tab :biggrin:

Satoru on
    edited March 2018
    craiola wrote: »
    Here is my spreadsheet based upon yelp reviews and past recommendations. I still need to update some items and will try to update as time allows but hope it helps! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZUpPdHisyhDPMJoN0wgwkXHUqzB-7FPoA4KlhRZQ-g/edit?usp=sharing

I'd add a few more to your list

B.good and Shake Shack are now in Southie near the BCEC so they're viable options to walk to

"By Chole" is also near the BCEC and is all vegan so its a great option for those wanting vegan options (for those who don't know Chole is a designer brand who doesn't use animal products in their handbags and such that's why their restaurant is vegan). They also have a few other locations in boston as well

Satoru on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Where do folks recommend for Dim Sum? My son really wants to try a place with carts and everything.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Where do folks recommend for Dim Sum? My son really wants to try a place with carts and everything.

paging @LexiconGrrl .... what was that place you took me to? And, more importantly, can we go again? :biggrin:

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    @WuShock @Lindsay Lohan - Empire Garden. It isn't spectacularly gourmet but it's definitely solid, has a YUUUGE selection, is easy to get to, cheap, and is housed in a former turn-of-the-century-concert-hall-turned-vaudville-theater-turned-porn-theater-turned-chinese-restaurant. Also close to the T. It's worth it just to see the original frescoes and artwork they left intact inside.

Yes, they do the carts. They even have some specialized carts like congee carts where you can customize your own congee.

http://empiregardenboston.com/

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited March 2018

If you want the carts

China Pearl - 9 Tyler St

If you want carts and amibance (the food is kinda eh-ok but the restaurant decor itself really is something to behold)

Empire Garden as per above

If you don't need carts

Windsor Dim Sum Cafe - 10 Tyler st

I'll give you bonus points if you post a picture of your son eating steamed intestines. Double points if he eats chicken feet.

Satoru on
    Sort of a funny thing, when I first moved to Boston with a bunch of my friends from Hong Kong, man they spent like MONTHS looking for good dim sum. Mind you being from Hong Kong 'good dim sum' is kinda like asking a New Yorker for 'good pizza'. The bar for 'good' is pretty damn high. Anyway most of them gave up after awhile and just settled on 'barely adequate boston dim sum'

• sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

In addition to Satoru's suggestions, Hei La Moon also has tons of carts, and has the small (huge for some) bonus of not requiring you to walk up any steps. One thing to keep in mind is that many of the people pushing around these carts are not always fluent in English. If you have any specific dietary needs or preferences and can't speak Cantonese or Mandarin, things could be a little challenging. I'd say, even if the food is a bit mysterious, it's still worth the experience (unless there's a major food allergy involved).

If you go to yelp.com, and search "dim sum" for Boston, MA, all of these places should visible on a map with pictures of their food and interiors. They're all very close to one another, so you could even scout them out a bit before committing if you wanted (especially if you had time to kill while on a waitlist). I wouldn't be too worried the middling yelp reviews. Many of the negative reviews are either about poor service (be ready for it) or made by folks who are accustomed to the selection in NYC or LA, which have much larger asian communities and more authentic options. That said, the extra half-stars that Winsor and Great Taste have are hard-earned.

I haven't eaten at Empire in a long time, but I did just walk in this weekend to check out the interior. The dining room is an old, ornate theater. So it's big, high ceilinged, and ornate. It really does look fantastic. You would never suspect to find something like it inside the building. It's worth walking in just to take a peek.

Winsor Dim Sum Cafe (not actually spelled "Windsor") has better quality food, but is smaller and just does normal table service. Expats from Asia prefer it because it tastes better, but it's not a "dim sum experience". Another place in this category is Great Taste Bakery (the restaurant half). The cruller-in-rice-roll (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaliang) is a very tasty dim sum treat, and Great Taste made the best one I've tried in Chinatown. Again, Great Taste has no "cart experience".

I'd say pick a cart place, and if the experience was fun and the food was interesting, but you wish you had more of a clue about what heck you were getting, follow up with another dim sum meal at Winsor or Great Taste. I don't remember if Great Taste does it, but Winsor lets you order your dim sum dishes off of a photo menu, so you can see the food and its name. It's helpful. And if you're enjoying the food, places in Chinatown tend to more affordable. Thus, the more you eat here, the less you'll probably spend.

On weekends, all of these places will fill up. Check their hours and try to get their early so you don't have to wait a half hour.

summary:
    Carts, average food: China Pearl Restaurant, Empire Garden Restaurant, Hei La Moon
    No carts, better food: Winsor Dim Sum Cafe, Great Taste Bakery & Restaurant

sigma8 on
  • sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    Satoru wrote: »
    Sort of a funny thing, when I first moved to Boston with a bunch of my friends from Hong Kong, man they spent like MONTHS looking for good dim sum. Mind you being from Hong Kong 'good dim sum' is kinda like asking a New Yorker for 'good pizza'. The bar for 'good' is pretty damn high. Anyway most of them gave up after awhile and just settled on 'barely adequate boston dim sum'

Satoru, my pedigree on judging good dim sum is basically zero, I rely on the opinions of others I know, but have you been to Shangri-la in Belmont? And if so, what did you think? They do some things very well (as I understand it).

edited March 2018
    sigma8 wrote: »
    Satoru wrote: »

Satoru, my pedigree on judging good dim sum is basically zero, I rely on the opinions of others I know, but have you been to Shangri-la in Belmont? And if so, what did you think? They do some things very well (as I understand it).

Shangri-la is more Taiwanese style and its pretty good for that, but not really a dim-sum thing. In the same vein Chung-Shin Yuan is also good for Taiwanese style food as well.

I more or less go with "If my mother-in-law will mildly tolerate this place its probably good enough" because lord or lord is she a fussy eater

Of course myself being a spoiled Japanese kid, I look at what Americans call 'sushi' and externally give you the polite Japanese "oh my that's adorable you call that sushi". While internally I'm trying to nto dry heave at why some insane person though slathering mayo on a sushi roll was something that needed to be done, like ever!

Anyway sort of a side thing, dim sum is a Canton thing which is primarily southern China. Most of the Boston Chinese population is from Northern China/Taiwan. So while they tend to get that type of food pretty good, the whole 'dim sum' thing they just sort of wing it. Most of the Hong Kong chefs who fled HK after the Chinese handover, basically went to Toronto/Vancouver, reason being Canadian investment permanent resident requirements were $250k and 4 employees (which you could basically say any family member over 18 was an 'employee'), while in the US it was $1million and required 10 American employees, so yeah pretty much everyone came to Canada and opened a family 'business'. Which is also why Toronto has like a dozen separate Chinatowns. Developers made malls, they filled those malls with anything, HK people with any amount of money opened a shop in those malls just to get the permanent resident thing. "Does this mall that's double the size of Cambridge Side Galleria need 30 different cellphone cover shops?" Not really, but what they were selling was never really the point. And yes there is a Chinese mall that is literally double the size of Cambridge Side galleria called "Pacific Mall". Then you have "Highway 7" which is basically if you took the Route 1 corridor from Route 60 to 95 and filled it with just Chinese malls.

tl'dr: So if you want real good dim-sum Toronto/Vancouver are your best bets.

If you'd like to see a sort of American version of "how do Chinese people get Chinese food wrong its all the same right?"

Basically southerners looking at Brooklyn NYC hipsters going "how in the god damn hell did you screw up BBQ!" While dry rub vs wet sauce BBQ afficainados will die on their swords swearing theirs is better, I'm pretty sure anyone BBQ bit boss with their pork rinds agrees Brooklyn BBQ is a travesty against humanity.

Satoru on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    We have pretty good dim sum in Seattle, and I find it hilarious that I’m probably going to dim sum in Boston. Not lobster rolls, not Korean fried chicken, not oysters. East Coast dim sum.

In my defense, I freaking love dim sum
    - even-bad-dim-sum-is-pretty-good kinda love- and will be going with @WuShock, who is from a dim sum desert and can’t get it at home.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/57086731/shutterstock_628640663.0.jpg

All for me.

EDIT: @Lindsay Lohan when are you arriving? If schedules work out, you and your kiddo would be welcome to join us.

zerzhul on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • smantz0rZsmantz0rZ BostonRegistered User regular
    Definitely recommend Jacob Wirth for hearty food and best beers in town. Very convenient for many of the after parties too.