As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump's Corruption of [The United States Judiciary]

13»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Even friggin' FDR couldn't get a court-packing law through. There is practically zero chance of the Supreme Court expanding under normal circumstances anymore.

Talking about packing the lower courts here. Exactly as the GOP are doing and the Democrats lacked the will to do themselves.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    So, Petersen has withdrawn..

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-judicial-nominee-matthew-petersen_us_5a37ec14e4b0ff955ad51e82?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

His reason?
    “I had hoped that my nearly two decades of public service might carry more weight than my two worst minutes on television,” he said. “However, I am no stranger to political realities, and I do not wish to be a continued distraction from the important work of your Administration and the Senate.”

Yeah, your two worst minutes that showed how completely unqualified you were for the job...

EDIT: beat by 3m... but I had a link showing the news, so leaving the post...
    Oh thank god. I don't give a damn what his BS excuse is. As long as he's out.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Even friggin' FDR couldn't get a court-packing law through. There is practically zero chance of the Supreme Court expanding under normal circumstances anymore.

Talking about packing the lower courts here. Exactly as the GOP are doing and the Democrats lacked the will to do themselves.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider it willpower to willfully undermine our national institutions. I'm as livid as anyone at the Republicans for what they did in the past. But the answer is not to meet them at their level, it is to set a proper standard and show people that we really are there for everyone.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If only one side follows the standards, our system of government collapses.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    In nearly two decades you couldn’t figure out what a motion in limine is?

Viskod on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Then let's not be the cause of that, is all I'm saying. Yes, it looks like we are blustering into the wind, but people DO notice.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Then let's not be the cause of that, is all I'm saying. Yes, it looks like we are blustering into the wind, but people DO notice.

This discussion is outside the scope of this thread.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Athenor wrote: »

I'm sorry, but I don't consider it willpower to willfully undermine our national institutions. I'm as livid as anyone at the Republicans for what they did in the past. But the answer is not to meet them at their level, it is to set a proper standard and show people that we really are there for everyone.

What are you talking about? You don't have to undermine any national institutions. You just have to stop fucking dragging your feet about eliminating the filibuster on court appointments and fill all those seats back during the 2008-2012 period.

But the Democrats lacked either the ability to see and accept what the GOP were doing or the will to do something about it and so we get this instead. The GOP abandoned any pretense that they thought the Democratic party was a legitimate political party ages ago. And in the face of that the Democrats just kept pretending it hadn't happened. They kept believing that if they just kept acting like everything was normal, it would all work out. And that's how you end up with the GOP packing the federal judiciary full of charlatans and partisan cranks.

The will the Democrats lacked that I am talking about is the will to acknowledge that the GOP had no interest in ever letting them use the powers they had won in the election to seat judges and then to act on that knowledge before it was too late. They waited forever to ditch the filibuster while continually acting like if they were just nice enough the GOP would acknowledge their legitimacy.

You can't set standards, don't be foolish. The GOP does not care. Kennedy (R-LA) lived the video we watched a few days ago and still thought "Yeah, sure". The only answer is to win back Congress and jam appointments through. And that's a minimum. Starting to remove some of these chucklefucks would be smarter but is sadly well beyond what the Democratic party is capable of deciding to do. They fear the ridiculous outcry that would come from impeaching some of these completely unqualified hacks.

shryke on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Republicans have not expanded the size of the Judiciary. There are no new judgeships packed into the District or Appellate Courts.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

They didn't lack the will to appoint people, they were stymied for an entire year on every judicial appointment, not just the Supreme Court.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

They didn't lack the will to appoint people, they were stymied for an entire year on every judicial appointment, not just the Supreme Court.

I think the point is that if the Dems were 1- sufficiently motivated and 2- realistic about whether the GOP would work with them that they could have not been stymied, as they could have immediately done away with the cloture requirement for judicial picks. However, they seem to have lacked said motivation, and they kept playing Charlie Brown & Lucy & the Football instead of going "these guys are a bunch of fuckers, so fuck 'em" and getting rid of the filibuster for non-SC positions. At least until (I think) 2013, when Reid finally went "oh, right, it'd be cool if the President got to nominate and get judges into the system without needing 60 fucking votes".

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

I think the point is that if the Dems were 1- sufficiently motivated and 2- realistic about whether the GOP would work with them that they could have not been stymied, as they could have immediately done away with the cloture requirement for judicial picks. However, they seem to have lacked said motivation, and they kept playing Charlie Brown & Lucy & the Football instead of going "these guys are a bunch of fuckers, so fuck 'em" and getting rid of the filibuster for non-SC positions. At least until (I think) 2013, when Reid finally went "oh, right, it'd be cool if the President got to nominate and get judges into the system without needing 60 fucking votes".

The Democrats have been in the minority since 2014, so I'm not sure they could have actually changed the rules in the senate. and the reason the Republicans were able to stymie the democratic picks was because the Democrats changed the rules in 2013 to allow a simple majority. As soon as the Republicans became a majority, they were able to stop both rule changes and appointments. Or, so my understanding of it goes.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options

The Democrats have been in the minority since 2014, so I'm not sure they could have actually changed the rules in the senate. and the reason the Republicans were able to stymie the democratic picks was because the Democrats changed the rules in 2013 to allow a simple majority. As soon as the Republicans became a majority, they were able to stop both rule changes and appointments. Or, so my understanding of it goes.

I think we're largely talking Jan 2009 - 2013. I'm not sure if we're talking past one another, or we're agreeing, or I'm doing a bad job of explaining what I think Shryke's point is.

But between Jan 2009 - 2013 Reid could have done away with the filibuster/cloture for judicial nominations, but he didn't. The argument, I believe, is that he should have done so as soon as the Republicans made it evident that they had no plans to allow President Obama to nominate judges as he should have been able to do, or to accomplish just about anything else if they had the opportunity to stop it.

• Options
    edited December 2017

No. Reid finally pulled the trigger in Nov 2013, which is what stopped the Republicans from preventing nominations which they had been doing up to that point. The Democrats controlled the Senate and the White House from January 2009 to December 2014. They could have changed the rules at any time during that period, they just didn't want to.

shryke on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I think we're largely talking Jan 2009 - 2013. I'm not sure if we're talking past one another, or we're agreeing, or I'm doing a bad job of explaining what I think Shryke's point is.

But between Jan 2009 - 2013 Reid could have done away with the filibuster/cloture for judicial nominations, but he didn't. The argument, I believe, is that he should have done so as soon as the Republicans made it evident that they had no plans to allow President Obama to nominate judges as he should have been able to do, or to accomplish just about anything else if they had the opportunity to stop it.

I feel like this opinion suffers greatly from the clarity of hindsight. America in 2009 would not have been ready for an all-out Democratic assault on Senate norms.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    spool32 wrote: »

I feel like this opinion suffers greatly from the clarity of hindsight. America in 2009 would not have been ready for an all-out Democratic assault on Senate norms.

Eh, it does suffer to a degree regarding hindsight, yes, but I think the second half of that argument falls flat when looked at from the other end: America was ready for an all-out stymieing of duly-elected Democratic governance by Republicans, right? The Republicans took it upon themselves to hamstring, in any way they could, the party that the electorate had just put in charge of the Executive branch, and had given the same party a near-supermajority in the Senate, and a clean majority in the House. If the country was ready for that (and I'm fairly sure it wasn't given a choice), then I don't agree that the country wasn't ready for the Democratic party to effectively respond "pretty sure we just got overwhelmingly told we're in charge, so how about 'no'".

This is, in essence, the entire problem with the Republican party boiled down to a single point: they do not believe that the Democratic Party has any legitimate right to govern the country, despite what the electorate may have to say about it.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Eh, it does suffer to a degree regarding hindsight, yes, but I think the second half of that argument falls flat when looked at from the other end: America was ready for an all-out stymieing of duly-elected Democratic governance by Republicans, right? The Republicans took it upon themselves to hamstring, in any way they could, the party that the electorate had just put in charge of the Executive branch, and had given the same party a near-supermajority in the Senate, and a clean majority in the House. If the country was ready for that (and I'm fairly sure it wasn't given a choice), then I don't agree that the country wasn't ready for the Democratic party to effectively respond "pretty sure we just got overwhelmingly told we're in charge, so how about 'no'".

This is, in essence, the entire problem with the Republican party boiled down to a single point: they do not believe that the Democratic Party has any legitimate right to govern the country, despite what the electorate may have to say about it.

And it's nothing to do with hindsight since people on this forum were pointing out what was happening and calling on the Democrats to just pull the trigger for years before they bothered. What the GOP was up to was obvious for a long time.

America was ready to accept an all-out assault on Senate norms then. Any way in which they wouldn't accept it then, they still wouldn't accept it now, despite it having gotten to the point of stealing a seat on the Supreme Court. Because the head-in-sand position of pretending everything is fine is immune to the facts on the ground, so you might as well just pull the trigger cause no amount of good behaviour on the Democrats part is gonna change that.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    So, Petersen has withdrawn..

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-judicial-nominee-matthew-petersen_us_5a37ec14e4b0ff955ad51e82?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

His reason?
    “I had hoped that my nearly two decades of public service might carry more weight than my two worst minutes on television,” he said. “However, I am no stranger to political realities, and I do not wish to be a continued distraction from the important work of your Administration and the Senate.”

Yeah, your two worst minutes that showed how completely unqualified you were for the job...

EDIT: beat by 3m... but I had a link showing the news, so leaving the post...

the fucking arrogance of this guy. You moron, there are other candidates with two decades of public service who arent completely unqualified and incompetent. These fucking people always think theyre gods gift, theres not position they arent qualified for in their own minds. I guess Trump has shown them that anythings possible.