As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    WIP, I'll get better pictures once they're done
    gijci6dac3du.jpg

Also, does anyone know how to fit the storm-bolter-arm pauldron on the Paladin with the falchions? It doesn't fit snugly onto the shoulder.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Man these marines you guys are posting look a lot bigger than the one we worked with at the class I took.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, that looks really good. Did you dry brush it, or edge highlight?

Edge highlight. I rarely drybrush.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Man these marines you guys are posting look a lot bigger than the one we worked with at the class I took.

The new Primaris marines are bigger than the baseline Space Marines, could just be that.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The Raptor has friends! I like these so much I bought another box before I was finished

...and also extra legs/shoulders online to make 10 warp talons with all of the extra bits

i8nim57bm5p9.png

TIFunkalicious on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I'm about to dive head first back in to the painting now that my strikers are almost ready. Couple questions:

1) The Citadel spray base coats, Lead Belcher in my case, will these act as a primer or do I need to prime as well first? The guy at GW seemed to indicate it would allow me to prime and base coat in one step, since really my whole damn army will be based in Lead Belcher, I just want to confirm before I get models with paint flaking off.

2) Any suggestions for masking parts of the model before I spray? I never did sub-assembly in the past, but I'm going to give it a try with these models, so I'm going to spray the leg/chest/head assemblies with no arms. I need the arm connection areas to have no paint so I get good glue contact.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Vallejo makes a masking fluid you glop onto what you don’t want to get sprayed, that peels right off.

Unless they changed their formula, Leadbelcher isn’t a real primer. Honestly though, for plastic models it’s not that big a deal. Make sure there’s no grease or other filth on the model and their sprays will work fine. If you think it might be a problem, hit the model with a matte varnish coat when it’s done. Or maybe a gloss coat, that could look nice for grey knights.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited December 2017
    I was planning to wash and dry all the models before I sprayed, so I think I'm covered there. Good to know it's not a real primer, since I know Draigo is still a metal miniature and I have him on the way. I'll need to prime him correctly.

I'll order some of that masking fluid. Thanks for the tip!

e: Grabbed some of that liquid mask and a bottle of gray Vallejo surface primer for Lord Draigo.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Did you order Draigo new? (as opposed to 2nd hand from ebay or whatever)
    If so he's probably resin not metal

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Yeah, he is brand new. I thought it was still metal. That's good to know he's resin.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm still chapped that GW stopped production on their potted primer. Imperial Primer wasn't great, but it meant I only had to stop by one store to get paints. I live in a part of the country where it rains on average over 200 days out of each year... you'd think a company based in the UK would be capable of remembering that there are portions of the world with a "rainy season".

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, he is brand new. I thought it was still metal. That's good to know he's resin.

Oh sweet summer child.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Why does primer rub off when I'm handling it? I washed my minis. I wait a day before touching my minis after priming. The paint still come off, especially around edges. How do I prevent this?

Casually Hardcore on
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    What are you priming with?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The oils in your fingers will cause any kind of paint to rub off with repeated contact, unless you've set down a layer of varnish

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I've got 89 days and a schedule laid out to finish my AdMilitarum for Adepticon including a Shadowsword. So what am I doing? Painting another Imperial Fist test marine of course.

qjdocu9.jpg?1

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »

Vallejo air primer with an air brush.

Should I wear gloves?

You might be diluting it too far with airbrush thinner. Try putting it on thicker, or doing 2 coats.

Badablack wrote: »
    You might be diluting it too far with airbrush thinner. Try putting it on thicker, or doing 2 coats.

That could very well be the case cause I see it come out of the bottle and it looks super thick so I always add thinner. This is good to know!

Should I wear gloves?

I'd wear gloves, but I'm messy as hell when I paint. Thinning too much is likely the culprit if you wash them before hand.

edited December 2017
    LkGCr3E.jpg

WIP tyranid paint scheme. The regular carapace will stay the same, but I want the bigger armor plates to be a glossy porcelain. I was thinking a lighter just barely off-white with a heavy gloss coat.

Badablack on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Vallejo make a colour called “ivory” in their ‘model color’ range - it might be pretty much exactly the colour I think you’re looking for:
    hrwvxrq63i2r.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited December 2017
    Is that just a light sepia wash on the white there? I need something like that along with the white.

*edit* Found a decent looking white hidden in all the fleshes.

9GrfI7y.jpg

Badablack on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Should I wear gloves?

Don't handle minis. Get something to stick them on and hold that.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Is that just a light sepia wash on the white there? I need something like that along with the white.

It’s actually an oil wash but I forget which one it was. Maybe light yellow ochre?
    Edit: just checked; it was yellow ochre.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.

Should I wear gloves?

Don't handle minis. Get something to stick them on and hold that.

But sometimes I need to paint the bottom of the minis like on the gorm.

9GrfI7y.jpg

Oh god the red muscle color looks really really cool. Like some kind of skinless turtle.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

9GrfI7y.jpg

Oh god the red muscle color looks really really cool. Like some kind of skinless turtle.

This is a weirdly specific comparison.

I was trying to make it look like those white Phyrexians with the porcelain carapace and exposed muscle. The older tyranids work a lot better since they have more exposed flesh and those weird oval flesh spots, the new ones are all carapace.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Donesies. Pretty quick by my standards.

qlhp7ly3xpwu.jpg
    qmr4lcm5ucgc.jpg
    whlhk67q9rp9.jpg

And now I know that I can tear through them pretty quickly. Next test mini is Skitarii, then Guardsman and finally Tyranid.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    I see at least seven blood drops on that model. That is an adequate number of blood-themed ornamental symbols.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    good use of decals to round out that primaris. rounds out the key chains from the upgrade set really nicely.

i feel like the chapter customization is super lacking on the primaris, as far as compelling Blood Angels/Dark Angels products-that-you-spend-money on go.

the stuff that the DA-BA are getting don't make feel that the SW ones that eventually come are going to be super compelling to me.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Eh, the upgrade packs seem similar, to me, tobthe old upgrade packs that included a few heads, shoulder pads and backpacks for the Fists, etc.

Jus think about it like this... these are for the generic marines to make them fit in better with the highly ornamented characters we'll get later on.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    There’s a ton of GW and third party shoulders and heads out there for every chapter, that at least shouldn’t be a problem. With the Dark Angels’ big theme being robes and hoods though, those are probably a lot more difficult to manage on Primaris Marines. Space Wolves shouldn’t be to hard, they mostly just hang wolf tails and paint runes everywhere.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My brother pointed out how they gimp on the space wolves' upgrade pack now showing what you got before compared to now
    I got him as a Xmas present well early one Arjac and Crom but he gushes about how Arjac has the dancing wolf for the company of the great wolf while lamenting that you just get Ragnar's symbol aka the generic wolf head as the icon on the shoulders even in the forge world stuff
    Yes he has played the space wolves as his army since he started an epoch ago making fun of the on again off again time he has had with the game in the survey

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At least with Blood Angels you can probably buy a squad of Sanguinary Guard or Death Company and have a ton of weapons, helmets, and shoulder pads that work with the Primaris Marines.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Norgoth wrote: »

9GrfI7y.jpg

This is a weirdly specific comparison.

What Koreg does in his private time is between him, those turtles, and the good people of the International Turtle Protection Agency

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    I went and picked up a wet palette at my local art supply today. I have no idea this is meant to work...time to read some instructions.

You run the sponge under hot water to get any molding off and set it in the tray, then run the paper under hot water and set it on the sponge. Bam, done.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with Vallejo primer? Painting it on specifically. Just wondering whether I should follow what it said on the bottle(12 hours to cure I believe?) or if it can be worked with earlier.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.