As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Barran is a Drow killing machine!

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo follows the Drow as it circles him, using his shield to block the elf's vision and preparing to strike low. As he turns, he sees the other elf duck Dural's hammer wing and slam the door behind him exactly as Barran's bolt explode's from the nearby elf's neck. Instinct taking over, he vaults the dead drow before it hits the floor and takes off running after its colleague, barking "good shot, Barran!" Driving the door open with his shoulder, he closes on the elf, getting to within striking distance...

If I count right, I can Dash and just get to J16 next to the fleeing Dark Elf and hopefully force an opportunity attack if he keeps trying to run.
    Assuming, of course, that I don't just bounce off that door...

Stats:
    Barran (J11) - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/2, HD: 2/4, FAERIE FIRE (grants ADV), Potion Count: 1
    Philo (J16) - AC:19, HP:32/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1
    Salazar (O3) - AC:15, HP: 22/26, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4, INPSIRATION, POISONED (DISADV on all Att & Ab Checks), Potion Count: 1,
    Drow 1 - DEAD
    Drow 2 - DEAD
    Drow 3 - FLED
    Drow 4 (J17) - AC:15. HP: 2
    Drow 5 - DEAD
    Drow 6 - FLED
    Drow 7 - DEAD
    Drow 8 (V9) - AC:15. HP: 13,
    Dural (R13) - AC:18, HP: 22/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:10/20, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1
    Ay (W10) - AC:16, HP: 29/31, Ki: 0/4, HD: 2/4, Potion Count: 1
    @evilthecat

• Options
    Crashing through the door and flinging it wide, Philo chases down that fleeing dark elf!

I think we may be fudging a square, but if we are I will allow it because you made it sound so cool!

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Salazar struts out of the darkness and shouts:
    "Do not fear! The incinerator is here!"

He winds up what appears to be a spectacularly aimed firebolt square at the drow's face..
    only to grimace. His cheeks puff up, Salazar fights with all his might to restrain the demon's raging in his gut but alas, to no avail.
    His mouth explodes, a volcanic eruption of vomit is sent flying across the room.
    The firebolt flies past its target unnoticed.

Combat Commands!

moving to Q8
    firing at drow(v9)
    moving back into darkness for cover (P8 I guess?)

minion, roll 2#1d20+6kl1 for firebolt
    minion, roll 1d10 for damagio

damagio:
    1d10 2 [1d10=2]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    second attempt, borked the command.

minion, roll 2#1d20l1+6

2#1d20l1+6 2 # 26 [1d20l1=[20]] 12 [1d20l1=[6]]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    I'll add some RP here later. I want to get my turn in before the Holiday Hangout kicks in and takes over.

I'll update the map when I get a chance...

Drow 4 keeps heading east down the hallway, and off the map. At some point, he fires his crossbow at Philo. @Mongrel Idiot can make his Opporunity Attack
    Drow 8 attacks At with his sword.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 to hit Philo
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 damage. @Mongrel Idiot please make a DC13 Con save.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 to hit Ay
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 damage.
    [/spoiler]

Stats:
    Barran (J11) - AC:16, HP: 27+5/27, Spells: -/2, HD: 2/4, FAERIE FIRE (grants ADV), Potion Count: 1
    Philo (F7) - AC:19, HP:32/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1
    Salazar (O3) - AC:15, HP: 22/26, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:2/4, INPSIRATION, POISONED (DISADV on all Att & Ab Checks), Potion Count: 1,
    Drow 1 - DEAD
    Drow 2 - DEAD
    Drow 3 - FLED
    Drow 5 - DEAD
    Drow 6 - FLED
    Drow 7 - DEAD
    Drow 8 (V9) - AC:15. HP: 13,
    Dural (R13) - AC:18, HP: 22/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:10/20, HD: 2/4, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1

to hit Philo:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    save.:
    1d6+2 3 [1d6=1]
    to hit Ay:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    damage.:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Con Save.

Con Save:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

• Options
    Missed that I had an opportunity attack, too.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Not so fast, drow!
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Taste my blade, villain!

Not so fast, drow!:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    Taste my blade, villain!:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Gonna burn a Superiority Die to try and take him down, and grant whoever wants it half movement.

Geth, roll 1d8 for Maneuvering Attack

Edit: Exactly enough! Huzzah! Will add RP later, when I'm, not pulling nephew aggro. :)

Stats:
    Philo (F7) - AC:19, HP:32/38, 2/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1
    Drow 1 - DEAD
    Drow 2 - DEAD
    Drow 3 - FLED
    Drow 5 - DEAD
    Drow 6 - FLED
    Drow 7 - DEAD
    Drow 8 (V9) - AC:15. HP: 13, DEAD!

Maneuvering Attack:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Currently visiting grandparents for Christmas. If I'm slow, that's why.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    With the Drow's final attacks all going wide, and Philo chasing down that drow and running him though....there is only one left. Between Ay and Dural, that poor wounded dark elf doesn't stand a chance! The only question left is who will land the final blow!

aCY1Gu2.png

@Mongrel Idiot - Take back that superiority dice. You were attacking Drow 4, not 8. He was dead after your first hit. Remember to make sure you step back. You are about to trigger the final combat if you keep moving east. Also, that CON save was unnecessary since the bolt did not hit you.

Stats:
    Philo (F7) - AC:19, HP:32/38, 2/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 2/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1
    Drow 1 - DEAD
    Drow 2 - DEAD
    Drow 3 - FLED
    Drow 4 - DEAD
    Drow 5 - DEAD
    Drow 6 - FLED
    Drow 7 - DEAD
    Drow 8 (V9) - AC:15. HP: 2

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    @am0n and @Aegis are up whenever they come down from Christmas festivities

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    @Aegis is technically up next, so I'll give him first shot at the dark elf.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Banging at the door in slight frustration for not being useful to their current predicament, the dwarf wheels around and runs towards the only remaining drow that he happens to find, opting not to hop up onto a stool but rather simply smash the table up and towards the drow with the heft of his hammer.

I'm home!

Move: U10.
    Attack: Attack him.
    Question: I'm assuming my previous roll of an 11 perception found nothing behind the door I was peeking behind? I didn't think it did but didn't see.

minion, roll 1d20+5 for Attack
    minion, roll 1d8+3 for Damage

Attack:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ay swings at his dark cousin, sending him to a somewhat permanent slumber. "How many got away?," he calls out to his allies.

Action: Attack
    Bonus: Attack

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for QStaff Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+3
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Unarmed Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+3

QStaff Attack:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]
    Unarmed Attack:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    1d4+3 4 [1d4=1]

am0n on
  • Options
    Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

Well done. Combat is over!

Dural did not hear anything beyond the door. The final combat of this chapter is through those doors and Drow are sneaky sons of bitches. We'll get there.

Right now you guys can take a minute to catch your breath. I'll give you the benefits of a short rest now, and you can spend HD and whatnot. Anything else you want to do to prepare?

• Options
    5bC63Yh.gif

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'd like to stop glowing!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yes! The faerie fire spell has lasped since I'm pretty sure the one who cast it is dead.

Sal's poison is still in effect unless sorted out somehow

Steelhawk on
  • Options

And in case anyone is interested.... LOOT!

On the bodies:
    4 Chain Shirts of darkened rings
    6 Hand Crossbows
    10 hand crossbow bolts with Drow Poison
    30 hand crossbow bolts
    6 short swords

A small chest in the room holds:
    200 gold
    3 potions of Healing
    1 potion of Greater Healing
    1 scroll of Acid Arrow
    1 scroll of Expeditious Retreat

And remember that your unclaimed party loot contains:
    1 Potion of Barkskin
    1 Potion Greater Healing

Go ahead spend your HD and take the benefits of a short rest. Lady Zarr will wait...

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Philo stands above the dead drow, peering into the darkness of the corridor ahead. Some instinct tells him not to go further, and he edges back into the room where the others are. "I have a feeling," he says, "that we may be drawing close to the lady's chambers."

Geth, roll 1d10 for Spending That HD

Philo's updated statline:
    Philo (N/A) - AC:19, HP:38/38, 3/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 1/4, Cold Resistance, INSPIRATION, Potion Count: 1

Spending That HD:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Ay (XX) - AC:16, HP: 29/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, Potion Count: 1

Do we get the THP after a short or long rest... @Mongrel Idiot I think?

• Options
    am0n wrote: »
    Ay (XX) - AC:16, HP: 29/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4, Potion Count: 1

Do we get the THP after a short or long rest... @Mongrel Idiot I think?

Technically, it's any time I spend 10 minutes being all inspiring, but no individual creature can benefit more than once per short or long rest. So if we're willing to take an extra 10 minutes in the room I can top us all up.

• Options
    Narratively, this Short Rest may not take the full Hour it is supposed to be, but go on and make your big speech then! Light them fires!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    "Right," says Philo, drawing the party in close. "There's a drow elf down that hall who thinks it good sport to feed children to serpents. The gods only know what she hopes to get out of it. I surely don't, and I don't much care to. We're here, now, with cold steel, hard fists, and fire in our blood. This place is too strange and shifting to count on another chance coming up for us or anyone else to put a stop to Zarr. Right now, right here, we five: that's what the powers that be have placed between Zarr and her goals. We've each seen what the others can do in a scrap, and I for one wouldn't want to match blades with a dark elf alongside any other four people standing. Live or die today, I'm proud to have come this far with all of you."

He claps Sal on the shoulder and tilts his head toward the corridor leading down to Zarr's lair. "Come on, then. Let's be heroes."

I'm assuming that, by the time Philo starts talking, we've either healed Sal's poison or determined that it can't be healed. Don't want Tiefling puke on my shoes!

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    I'll start off with 1 HD and see where that takes me ..

minion, roll 1d6+2 for catching my breath and possibly picking spider bits out of the vomit and eating them.

catching my breath and possibly picking spider bits out of the vomit and eating them:
    1d6+2 3 [1d6=1]

• Options
    ok then, not sure how dural's poison cleansing works, gonna leave it at ...
    ok there's an error here. I have 30 hp max, not 26! This puts me at at least 25 hp, 29 depending on where the mathing went wrong.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Barran will avail himself of the poison bolts, unless anyone else is hankering for one.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I have no idea where a mistake was made. Go ahead and spend your HD as you see fit and give me your new, corrected, Stat Lines. Keep in mind your spells already cast as well as any Ki/Superiority points used. Also enjoy the Temp 5 HP from Philo spurring you all towards glory.

Also, now is the time to divvy up that remaining loot. I'd like to know who has which potions/scrolls/etc. so we're not arguing about it during combat.

Is there anything else you guys would like to do?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    So between the chest and unclaimed party loot we have 3 Potions of Healing and 2 Potions of Greater Healing to divvy up. The last statblock indicates we've each already got a Potion of Healing. Does it make sense to give the Greater Healings to Dural and Philo, since they have enough HP to take enough damage to warrant a Greater Healing and still be standing, and a regular potion each to everyone else?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Ok, so I'll take a normal potion and that scroll of acid arrow. I think barran will profit from the speed boosty one a lot more and as an arcane trickster he should be able to cast it.
    My stats, provided dural at the very least cleanses the poison off me, are:

Salazar - AC:15, HP: 29(+5)/30, Spells:-/4/3, SP:4, HD:0/4, INPSIRATION, Potion Count: 2, Scrolls: Fireball, Acid Arrow

Edit:
    The error goes back quite a few pages, no idea why, as a compromise I'd be willing to simply forfeit for my last HD if I can go into the next fight topped up. That ok with you, Steelhawk?
    Found it, page 64, you took 4hp from me from a trap or something and used the 26 as my new max.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    I just spend 5 HD from my Lay on Hands pool to cure a Poison instead. So I'll do that on Sal.

I'll check back to see what I'm going to do in a bit, my graphics card on my computer went kaput so :(

Characters
  • Options
    SCRATCH IT ALL!

dural's heal puts me back at full!

• Options
    I mean, it doesn't heal you, it just cures your poison. I could spend 5 more hp to heal you to full I suppose, I think I have 10 total hp left from my lay on hands.

Characters
  • Options
    ARGH either way I shall have full hp! :p
    Let's wait for Steelhawk.

• Options
    Alright. Dural spends the 5 to fix your poison and Sal spends both HD to fill up.

• Options
    Dural plops down on one of the chairs that's still standing up right, table flung against the wall (sadly with no drow behind it) previously and thus leaving a void of dead air where the dwarf might otherwise have broken out a mug of ale to go with his breather. At the end of Philo's rousing speech, Dural nods in agreement, raising a mug in cheer...and then grumbling when he remembers his fist was empty due to a lack of a table. "Reckon both these doors head to th'same place?" He inquires, tidying his weapons and gear from the previous encounter, checking for dents in his hammer or any holes in Fimbul, "Given how them dark elves each left very quickly through each of em, curious if we're wantin' to split and catch em from both sides, or just barrel down one hallway all together-like."

Spending a pair of hit dice to get me to full (hopefully). I also second Philo's recommendation regarding splitting up the potions, since it'd give us a nice buffer. Not sure who wants the Barkskin potion; almost want to suggest Sal take and use it since they like to get hit a lot :D

minion, roll 2d10+6 for Hit Dice (2)

Hit Dice (2):
    2d10+6 21 [2d10=6, 9]

Characters
  • Options
    If I remember right, Barkskin doesn't stack with armor, so it would make sense for Sal or Ay to take it. Dunno if it plays nice with monk AC bonuses, though.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    If I remember right, Barkskin doesn't stack with armor, so it would make sense for Sal or Ay to take it. Dunno if it plays nice with monk AC bonuses, though.

Barkskin doesn't really care what your armor is. If your AC was less than 16, now its 16 and you look like a tree. If you was AC was 16 or above, nothing changes except you now look like a tree.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    A fiery tree with horns.

I approve of this.

Characters