As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Celica and Marth both need Astra. Having it on either of them is like a night and day scenario. Slow plodding attackers suddenly turn into all over the place meat grinders.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Celica seemed... not great? Also super disappointed she was just another sword hero as far as I could tell, though the rapier moves didn't seem to have much horizontal action

Celica's a Marth clone, she doesn't have a unique moveset.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Lyn seems really fun, from what little I've used her since unlocking her. Especially that teleport attack (C4 or C5?)

Celica seemed... not great? Also super disappointed she was just another sword hero as far as I could tell, though the rapier moves didn't seem to have much horizontal action

That said after maxing out Lucina I kind of don't want to touch another sword person, you know?

Lyn isn't really a sword user so much as she is a tornado of knives.

Especially when you put Astra on her.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Celica and Marth both need Astra. Having it on either of them is like a night and day scenario. Slow plodding attackers suddenly turn into all over the place meat grinders.

everyone needs astra, its basically broken.

astra/luna/luck+20/trample is pretty much perfect for everyone. armored blow too unless you're tiki and you want to sit in awakening mode all the time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Really loving Azura.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Was just going to post the same. Her tidal wave finisher is nuts

I said this over in the holiday forum, but Oboro is awesome as well. I'm super glad they didn't just clone the two new spear users. Sadly looking at the future DLC releases, it seems like we may be getting way more clones than this release.

edited December 2017
    Well, I suppose Navarre could be a Lyn clone and Owain possibly a Chrom/Lucina clone. Linde and Tharja could be Robin clones. Minerva might be a Camilla clone.

But just because they can be clones doesn't mean they all have to be. Although... considering Niles...

Anyway, I think Olivia is going to be fairly unique. Or at least, I can't think who she'd reasonably be a clone of.

WotanAnubis on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Owain has Ryoma's moveset. I guess it's possible they could change it for the DLC though.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Nintendo Direct stream rumored to be next Thursday (11th). Could we get a reveal for the new Switch FE?

Alternately, release Virtual Console already and put up a compendium of the old games. :heartbeat:

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I've been playing FE Warriors since Christmas. Just unlocked the Anna map last night. Super disappointing that it turns out she is a clone. Actually, there seem to be tons and tons of clones and it's too bad, otherwise this is probably the best of the warrior series i have played.

Also trying to figure out where my Master Seals go. I have two in the bank and have covered the major bases (Main Character, Robin, Frederick, Camilla, Corderlia, Xander, Takumi, Leo,Tiki). Apparently i should be using Ryoma a lot more to get his Astra? I guess i'll upgrade him next.

I might get the dlc just because I'd like some non-flying spears.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    It's real disappointing that all Archers, even Niles, are clones. And the moveset isn't even anything that special.

Also, fun fact, once you've unlocked True Power (or whatever it's called) on someone's personal weapon, its power is set to 240 and can't be diminished. So you can start forging all kind of -slayer skills onto it without the weapon getting any weaker. I don't know if that's really the best use of reforging, but having a powerful weapon that's super effective against very nearly all the things can come in handy from time to time.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I thought FE Warriors was okay, but my favorite warriors game thus far has been Dragon Quest Warriors. Characters in that game felt more unique to me, and I liked the monster tokens that you could use to place stationary defenders. It almost gave that game an air of being like a tower defense game on some levels. Those monster tokens made the game feel like Dungeon Defenders to me sometimes.

But anyway, FE Warriors has been ok. It's definitely a fun game, and I need to get back to it and play it more. I haven't touched it in like a month.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Also, fun fact, once you've unlocked True Power (or whatever it's called) on someone's personal weapon, its power is set to 240 and can't be diminished. So you can start forging all kind of -slayer skills onto it without the weapon getting any weaker. I don't know if that's really the best use of reforging, but having a powerful weapon that's super effective against very nearly all the things can come in handy from time to time.

It is nice, but you can't go crazy with it; there's a hard limit of two slayer skills per weapon, and that includes the built-in effects like Falchion's dracoslayer.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    TamerBill wrote: »

It is nice, but you can't go crazy with it; there's a hard limit of two slayer skills per weapon, and that includes the built-in effects like Falchion's dracoslayer.

The nice thing with that is it's basically giving you 7 augment slots vs 6.

Maz- wrote: »
    Owain has Ryoma's moveset. I guess it's possible they could change it for the DLC though.

Was Oboro using her unique move set when you fought her before her DLC was released?

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Was Oboro using her unique move set when you fought her before her DLC was released?

She was the only spear that wasn't on a pegasus so yes?

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2018
    There are generic spear using foot soldiers. But I never payed attention to what move set they used.

Viskod on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Finally getting back into Shadows of Valentia, beat Grieth last night. He was hard, high evasion and resistance. I probably only got through it because the AI prioritizes invoked phantom soldiers. I wound up chipping away the last bits of his health with magic; Celica’s Seraphim and Mae’s Aura did OK damage even through the resistance.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Just completed Act 3.

I don't believe I've ever heard the word "sluice" spoken so much ever before.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    I stopped playing in late Act 3. Celica's forces more or less mow down everything they encounter, no problem. But it's throwing nothing but mounted enemies at Alm's right now, and I can't figure out how to deal with them. Mounted archers can often delete any of my weaker units in a single turn, anywhere on the field. Mounted cavalry only need to be slightly stronger than my weakest melee unit to destroy defensive box formations.

I found a spear for Alm's army called "Ridersbane" that does bonus damage to mounted units. I put it on Lukas and over time he has upgraded to a Myrmidon I believe. Or some sort of heavy armored unit. And anyway, with his high armor, he's basically immune to physical damage. He's my guy for killing mounted units including mounted archers.

I neglected my Ridersbane for a while but eventually gave it to Mathilda. She's unstoppable.

--Mark Twain
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I neglected my Ridersbane for a while but eventually gave it to Mathilda. She's unstoppable.

Mathilda was one of my favorite characters out of that game

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I made her a Falcon Knight and she was a one woman army.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    I don't think I have Mathilda yet. What chapter is she in?

I'm in chapter 4. I'm pretty far. Honestly though, I haven't played in like 3 weeks. I've gotten distracted by other games.

Lucascraft wrote: »

I'm in chapter 4. I'm pretty far. Honestly though, I haven't played in like 3 weeks. I've gotten distracted by other games.

Uh. Act 3.
    Alms route, Desaix' Fortress. Mathilda's captured by the bad guys and on the map she's in a small cell surrounded by archers who keep firing on her. And possibly one of those summoners that'll summon minions into her cell.

If Mathilda survives that battle, you can then recruit her by talking to her in the prison.

Durinia wrote: »

We already know a new FE is coming out this year, it's not really news.

Uh. Act 3.
    Alms route, Desaix' Fortress. Mathilda's captured by the bad guys and on the map she's in a small cell surrounded by archers who keep firing on her. And possibly one of those summoners that'll summon minions into her cell.

If Mathilda survives that battle, you can then recruit her by talking to her in the prison.

Ahh. I did that. I just forgot that was her name.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Man, these battles in Act 4 of Valentia are pretty rough. Glad I'm playing on Casual cause I'm losing dudes right and left.

Poor Est hasn't survived even one battle since she joined my army.
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Mathilda was one of my favorite characters out of that game

Mathilda was the only person on a non-pegasus horse worth anything in my run of the game. All the other cavalry had such poor stat growth that they couldn't be counted on to do damage or take hits. Ugh.

Est joining at like level 1 more than halfway through the game makes levelling her a huge hassle if you're playing in Hardcore mode. In Casual mode, having her sisters around lets you do the Jetstream Triangle Attack that gives her enough oopmh to finish enemies off even when her stats are low due to her level. Even if she dies afterwards because an enemy with 10 levels up on her looked at her funny, she still got a finishing blow in and got a level before she got exploded.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

We already know a new FE is coming out this year, it's not really news.

That's just the sort of thing Nintendo PR would do, though.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    So when is the real announcement being made? Teaser marketing is dumb. Just tell me your announcement. Don't tell me that you are going to make an announcement.

So when is the real announcement being made? Teaser marketing is dumb. Just tell me your announcement. Don't tell me that you are going to make an announcement.

They're just actively trolling Nintendo Reddit at this point.

--Mark Twain
    Shadows of Valentia, Act 4, Celica's Path
    I find it strange that the first person to bring up the concept of dragon madness, basically the real root cause of every problem in this story, is Jedah, the most clearly evil person in Rigel.

edited January 2018
    Just beat Echoes.
    That final battle is rough, isn't it? Mila's Turnwheel doesn't help much when a lord dies and you get an instant game over. Pro-tip: the arcanist by Duma has Medusa, the reduce-to-1-HP spell, so don't leave units exposed in his attack range.

I liked the way the final blow went, though. Reminded me of the Radiant Dawn finale; if the game determines that the final boss will be defeated, it runs some dialogue before the to start and then has a unique attack animation.

My non-lord MVP was Python. Bows are so useful in this game!

Andy Joe on
    My impression of ranged attackers in Echoes was that bows were useful, but Archers were crap, making the overall combination of the two just kind of OK.

My impression of ranged attackers in Echoes was that bows were useful, but Archers were crap, making the overall combination of the two just kind of OK.

Yeah. Pretty much all bow users have crappy stats, but the ability to attack from five spaces away is just so damn useful. Saved me a ton of times during my playthrough.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular

Yeah. Pretty much all bow users have crappy stats, but the ability to attack from five spaces away is just so damn useful. Saved me a ton of times during my playthrough.

Importantly, it creates a relatively viable triad between fighters, mages, and archers. Fighters overwhelm archers, mages blow up fighters, and archers hit mages from outside of their attack range. It really helps to have someone who can put damage on an enemy mage before you put your (congenitally low-Resistance) fighters in harm's way.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    If you loop a dread fighter back into an archer though you have a unit that solos the rest of the game for you.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
This discussion has been closed.