As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a comic book for a 10 year old?

Hi guys!

I've been tasked with finding a comic book as a gift for a 10 year old boy who has never read comic books before. I'm only a casual comic fan, and have NO IDEA where to start, what the good jumping-off points are, or any of that stuff.

I'm leaning towards Marvel stuff since the movies are the mainstream now and everyone has been exposed to them, and we're not looking to spend more than $25-ish (so no giant 100 page paperbacks and no super-valuable or hard-to-find stuff).

I was thinking of maybe starting with the Miles Morales Spider Man origin, since it's still relatively new, but I don't know how appropriate for kids it is. Kinda want to avoid anything with too much blood and death just yet, if possible.

Please advise!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    CALVIN AND HOBBES

Unless you specifically want super heroes, but when I was 10 I loved C&H.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Do they still make those Archie double digest things? I used to love those as a kid.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Calvin and Hobbes is a must, IMO. I also absolutely loved those books when I was a kid.

The Amulet series is also supposed to be great, and is rated for 8-12 year olds. A friend of mine gifted me the first one back in early high school, and I thought it was really great.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Calvin & Hobbes is classic. I'm 40 and still read my anthologies eventhough my kids have destroyed them.

Other rec would be Axe Cop. It started written by a 5 year old and arted by his older 20/30 something brother. There is a webcomic I think. And in the TV adaptation Axe Cop is voiced by Nick Offerman. So you can probably get a feel for it for free. None of it makes sense, but it's pretty great.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I love Calvin and Hobbes, but I think that, in my case, “comics” is being implied to mean “superhero comics”.

To Djeet: I didn’t care for Axe Cop. The premise, while amusing from an adult point of view, is too disjointed and nonsensical imho. If course children don’t have a well develloped sense of narrative structure, but that doesn’t mean we can’t introduce them to it in a fun way before we start subverting it, even if the source material was based off of a child’s imagination.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest Bone, but honestly Calvin&Hobbes is the better choice.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I love Calvin and Hobbes, but I think that, in my case, “comics” is being implied to mean “superhero comics”.

To Djeet: I didn’t care for Axe Cop. The premise, while amusing from an adult point of view, is too disjointed and nonsensical imho. If course children don’t have a well develloped sense of narrative structure, but that doesn’t mean we can’t introduce them to it in a fun way before we start subverting it, even if the source material was based off of a child’s imagination.

Is there a particular reason you’re looking for super hero comics? Does he really like them? If he does, and you know which ones, that could help narrow it down.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If the kid is just getting started in comics, I'd suggest looking through the graphic novel section at your local bookstore and see if anything jumps out.
    Superman: Red Son might work, it's a self contained Elseworlds story following "What if Superman had landed in the USSR instead of a small farm in Kansas".
    The Darth Vader comics (or any of the Star Wars graphic novels) might work if he's a fan of Star Wars. Also a fan of the Kanaan comics which flash back to Kanaan's backstory from the Rebels cartoon which he may already be familiar with.

Atomic Robo: The Everything Explodes collection could be a good choice. You can find it used on Amazon for ~20 bucks.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Check out the Oz graphic novels from Marvel. Art is good. There is a definite narrative structure.

If you want superhero stuff I dunno. A lot of the stuff I've been reading has gone pretty dark. Spiderman is probably the most wholesome, so long as Deadpool isn't involved.

The Watchmen? It's nice cause it's self-contained, but there may be some content you or his parents think are inappropriate.

• Options
    I was asked as my family's resident geek. They figure that because I like video games and the Marvel movies that means I know everything about comics. I actually don't know the little dude that well myself, all I was told is "we want to encourage him to read and he's really into superheroes and stuff, so we thought that comics would be a great way to promote his reading skills". Hope that helps narrow it down somewhat.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Super Sons is the best current comic, and is about the adventures of Superman and Batman's kids. Fun upbeat story, great art, it is everything every comic should aspire to be.

This trade is also the setup to the Super Sons series complete with a reality hopping story with Dinosaurs so win/win

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Squirrel Girl is pretty good for kids too I think. I've only read one recent-ish TPB, but it was pretty lighthearted and goofy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Check out the Oz graphic novels from Marvel. Art is good. There is a definite narrative structure.

If you want superhero stuff I dunno. A lot of the stuff I've been reading has gone pretty dark. Spiderman is probably the most wholesome, so long as Deadpool isn't involved.

The Watchmen? It's nice cause it's self-contained, but there may be some content you or his parents think are inappropriate.

I don't know the 10 year old in question, or the family of said 10 year old, but I would really, really not suggest Watchmen for anyone that age. Especially if you ever want to be asked for comic book suggestions in the future. It's got some pretty graphic violence and nudity in it. Maybe give it a few years until he hits high school?

I'll toss out another vote for Calvin & Hobbes though. Maybe some Farside collections? It's pretty timeless humor.

If the kid liked watching the Avatar series, they had some comic follow ups that might be enjoyed.
    https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Airbender-Promise-Part/dp/1595828117/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513902049&sr=8-2&keywords=the+last+airbender+the+promise

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If you 100% want it to be superhero comics.

"Edison Rex" or "Super Dinosaur" are pretty good.

"Edison Rex" is about a villain trying to become a good guy. Good plot twists, self-contained (you can get the entire comic line fairly cheaply compared to trying to keep up with various Marvel/DC incarnations), classic super.
    "Super Dinosaur" is about a boy and his 9-feet tall T-rex in a super-suit, all powered by the rule of cool.

P.S: If it had been a girl I would have recommended Spiderman Loves Mary Jane. One of the best series post-2000, but very girl oriented. Very.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How about not The Watchmen, good grief. Don't forget to keep the age in mind here.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    How about not The Watchmen, good grief. Don't forget to keep the age in mind here.

Also, age aside, I don't believe The Watchmen is a good book for someone just starting out in comics. The thing was seminal, yes, but it was also a deconstruction of the comic-book hero genre. You need to construct before you de-construct.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Spidey might be a good option.

It's intended as a relatively wholesome, humorous look at Spiderman and while popular with older readers also recommended for kids. Spiderman on the whole nails just about everything one would want from a super hero. It might be a bit higher level for a 10 year old but I know that can vary a lot.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gotham Central. Get him the trades.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man trades would be a good choice.

Mary Jane loves Spider-Man is a really neat book too.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ultimate Spider-Man trades would be a good choice.

Ultimate Spiderman and Ms Marvel would be the two I'd learn towards as well, both are great entry level comics.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ms Marvel is great

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Ms Marvel is great

I like a lot of what Ms. Marvel presents. I'm leaning more Spidey at this point because he's a boy and my lizard brain can't help but think he'll identify more closely with a male character, but maybe I'll get him both. I'll talk to the wife and see what she thinks.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Batgirl of Burnside (at least the first book) is good, and might be better received because of the association with Batman?

I haven't read my Static Shock books in a while, but Static's great. (Not the new 52 version, Rebirth of Cool.)

If you're worried about what is and isn't appropriate, DC has a line of superhero comics aimed at a Middle Grade audience. I haven't read those, but they got checked out at the library I worked at a fair amount.

Oh, also second that recommendation for The Amulet books. Those are great.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Seconding Calvin and Hobbes and Archie digests, those two things are responsible for my early love of reading.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Kind of old now but I really enjoyed these as a kid. Might be a more recent run of tales about adventuresome duck people.

Seconding Atomic Robo. I enjoyed what I've read of this, and isn't terribly age inappropriate (no sex or particularly graphic violence, though there is a ton of fighting. No real blood from what I remember?). There's some flashback story arcs where Robo is basically a 10 year-old-kid (but in the same robot body).

Hadn't heard of Edison Rex before this thread, but several chapters are up for free online hosted by the author. Seems age appropriate and fun, though is slightly a spoof/deconstruction of normal superhero stuff. Violence level is about the same as Atomic Robo. Fighting, no blood, deaths are off-screen (and rare). Think Samurai Jack levels: only stuff getting destroyed are robots and the landscape.

Spidey & Ultimate Spiderman seem like great places to start too, especially with a good jumping-in point.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Also I'm not sure how popular they still are but Tin Tin and Asterix & Obelix are fairly timeless as well as being self contained stories.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Spiderman is almost always ideal for a 10-year-old but flip through it in case there are any dark images.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's hard to find but Marvel Adventures was really good and safe for kids all around, while also being pretty funny at times.
    baseball01.jpg

which leads to them having to defeat Galactus in a game of baseball ( seriously)
    baseball03.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Also I'm not sure how popular they still are but Tin Tin and Asterix & Obelix are fairly timeless as well as being self contained stories.

I loved these as a kid growing up in Europe (would be perfect for a 10yo), not they are kind of rare in the US. The only Asterix thing i every saw in the states was oriented at first time readers, like 6-7yo.

steam_sig.png