As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars]: The Last Jedi - A completely uncontroversial film. TAG SPOILERS

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can't jump into hyperspace while cloaked though. RIP Admiral Zaarin

• Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    Klendy wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I just realised those dice are a hook to get me to go and see Han Solo and now I want to vomit
    Eeeeh I think that's a bit of a stretch

hard disagree. i'm with @Tube

its not

edit:
    unless we're just straight up calling him a liar at this point, RJ went over why he included the dice in the WGA Q&A and it has 0 to do with the Han Solo movie.

RJ's reasoning and Disney execs tinkering with how long shots are held are not always the same.

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    You can't jump into hyperspace while cloaked though. RIP Admiral Zaarin

One could argue blowing yourself up is the most advanced form of cloaking.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I just realised those dice are a hook to get me to go and see Han Solo and now I want to vomit

hard disagree. i'm with @Tube

its not

edit:
    unless we're just straight up calling him a liar at this point, RJ went over why he included the dice in the WGA Q&A and it has 0 to do with the Han Solo movie.

RJ's reasoning and Disney execs tinkering with how long shots are held are not always the same.

Yeah but he specifically mentions that thats not at all how those decisions were made. It's a really great listen and answers a lot of questions about why he did what where.

edit:

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    for some reason i felt like i had an implicit understanding of
    han's dice,

to the extent that now i'm thinking i read one of the EU novels they were mentioned in back in the day. there's absolutely some tie-in shit going on there though. i just reckon johnson's been clever enough to take disney's corporate prerogative and make it satisfyingly layered

edit: sounds like i'll have to check out what he says about it himself!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

hard disagree. i'm with Tube

its not

edit:

We've already gone over plenty of valid reasons to have issues with the film without projecting this kind of thing onto it. It's completely baseless cynicism.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    the idea that the first order would not be actively scanning for escape craft when extermination is their goal is absurd though.
    I could have sworn
    that they mentioned cloaking? But then I was disappointed when the ships didn't shimmer or do anything cloaking like, so I guess there was no cloaking?

It's more like
    electronic countermeasures, not visual cloaking

This is one of my pet bugaboos but
    you can’t cloak things in space arghhhh!!!

(Yes I know this in an absurd thing to get hung up on in star wars.)

Wait wait wait
    how is SPACE the part where you draw the line on cloaking?

• Options
    the idea that the first order would not be actively scanning for escape craft when extermination is their goal is absurd though.
    I could have sworn
    that they mentioned cloaking? But then I was disappointed when the ships didn't shimmer or do anything cloaking like, so I guess there was no cloaking?

It's more like

Wait wait wait
    There's no gravity out there so it'd just be getting in the way as the fabric floats aimlessly

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I know you're joking, but "there's no gravity in space" is the weirdest phrase I've seen casually thrown around recently.

I know what people mean by it, but it sounds so goofy to me.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I could have sworn

It's more like

Wait wait wait
    probably something about heat buildup due to not being able to radiate anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I know you're joking, but "there's no gravity in space" is the weirdest phrase I've seen casually thrown around recently.

I know what people mean by it, but it sounds so goofy to me.

If it makes you feel any better my immediate thought after posting that was "that's so stupid, don't say there's no gravity in space" followed by "shut up everyone knows what that means and it would just be clunky if you try to make it more accurate" and then I went back and forth like that for a bit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I could have sworn

It's more like

Wait wait wait

Heat

edit: ecm cloaking is not an outlandish idea.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    I didn't have to look that up by the way

not even to spellcheck

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I could have sworn

It's more like

Wait wait wait

Heat

I mean, it's a sci-fi fantasy.

If Mass Effect can come up with technobabble to explain heat build-up, I'm sure Star Wars could have their own explanation if they wanted to.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

its not

edit:

Yeah but he specifically mentions that thats not at all how those decisions were made. It's a really great listen and answers a lot of questions about why he did what where.

edit:

so I just listened to the whole thing and aside from one mention from the scene where
    luke hands the dice to leia
    I didn't hear a specific mention to this particular decision, but rather decisions like it. Did I miss the question about it?

Tube on
    goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Trim @ out of your quotes please

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Stilts wrote: »
    I could have sworn

It's more like

Wait wait wait

Heat

I mean, it's a sci-fi fantasy.

If Mass Effect can come up with technobabble to explain heat build-up, I'm sure Star Wars could have their own explanation if they wanted to.
    mass effect's space cloaking was turbo-bullshit though
    The Normandy's main propulsion is provided by four large antiproton thrusters, with both aft and forward exhausts. Antiprotons are injected into a reaction chamber filled with hydrogen. The resulting matter-antimatter annihilation provides unmatched motive power. The exhaust of antiproton drives is measured in millions of degrees Celsius; any vessel caught behind them will melt like wax in a blowtorch.
    Along with the Tantalus Drive Core, the Normandy is able to temporarily sink her heat within the hull.

no. absolutely not.

e: though the other propulsion system is gravitic, so that's slightly less silly. still incredibly dumb.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There is an update for the Sphero droids today that lets you set them to interact with each other autonomously. I have no fucking idea how this is working but now R2 and BB9e are just randomly talking to each other? How does the one know to respond? This is dark magic.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I could have sworn

It's more like

Wait wait wait

Heat

Cloaking is about distorting your cross-section, not hiding it entirely. The idea is not that they make the craft cooler, it's that they modify where the heat goes or they interfere with the sensors directly. So for radar you can change the hull to bounce it at oblique angles or absorb it. Or you can emit other frequencies that counter the incoming radar.

For heat, you can modify the direction of the plume or exhaust so that it changes the angle the sensor has to be to detect it, or you can change where the heat is so that the craft appears differently to the sensor. You might also just be able to bombard the sensor so that it overcorrects, or so that the object looks different from what it is. Or you can exhaust cold gas/liquid into the exhaust/plume to absorb and spread the heat. Specifically for this case, the idea isn't that they mitigate the heat of the ship it's that they disrupt whatever the sensors are sending out so that they either don't bounce back to the sensor or that what they see is not recognizable as what they're looking for.

On a more structural note that doesn't really apply to the specific situation, you can use IR absorbing/resistant materials or run liquid or gas around the hull, which just generally might be a good idea anyways because, say, water can actually absorb all kinds of radiation.

But really, in this case it's just a case of the Resistance saying they're using stealth, so we should recognize that they can't be seen by the First Order, and then the Hacker and Finn/Rose tell us that the Hacker told the First Order how to see them. The specifics of how aren't really important.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

its not

edit:

We've already gone over plenty of valid reasons to have issues with the film without projecting this kind of thing onto it. It's completely baseless cynicism.

Yeah, there's some tinfoil hat shit going on regarding this movie.

Like... sometimes people make movies. Even when they work for Disney, sometimes people just fuckin make movies and there's stuff in them.

Not everything in TFA was a question or a mystery box. No, not that thing... nope, not that one, either. Nah, still not there.

Nope.

Most of those questions and mysteries? Guess where they came from.

Your fucking imagination.

Welcome to Star Wars, where people used to like to use their imaginations.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it always feels weird to me how much people want wedge in these movies since i have never read a star wars book so he's just some mustache guy who never said anything interesting

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    it always feels weird to me how much people want wedge in these movies since i have never read a star wars book so he's just some mustache guy who never said anything interesting

He's also in the Rebels cartoon.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I think the mustache guy was Biggs

Wedge is just kind of always there, he doesn't do anything, but he's always there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    wedge in the movies survives the trench run, the battle of hoth, and the battle of endor

he's pretty badass by implication but you don't ever see him do anything specifically cool

• Options
    Oh, also the actor who played Wedge is the uncle of Ewan McGregor.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    wedge in the movies survives the trench run, the battle of hoth, and the battle of endor

he's pretty badass by implication but you don't ever see him do anything specifically cool

He's also the only person that goes into the Death Star with Lando that makes it out, but I don't think he actually does anything, Lando gets all the good stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

He's also the only person that goes into the Death Star with Lando that makes it out, but I don't think he actually does anything, Lando gets all the good stuff

no, wedge fired some torpedoes at the reactor

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Wedge was pretty much the defacto, "you don't have to use the force to be a badass" character along with Han and Lando for decades.

• Options
    oh right, Wedge is actually the first guy to do the tow cable thing on Hoth

that's something

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

tycho makes it out, too

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

Saves Luke's life with a headon pass against a TIE.
    Destroys the first AT-AT on Hoth.
    Shoots down multiple TIEs at Endor and shares the DSII kill with Lando, and survives.

Nope, nothing cool whatsoever.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Here's something that 6-year-old Wyborn wants in Episode 9:
    Some regular-ass people having to throw down with evil Jedi and winning through ingenuity and planning

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Here's something that 6-year-old Wyborn wants in Episode 9:
    Some regular-ass people having to throw down with evil Jedi and winning through ingenuity and planning

My boy has you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    luke's chatty wingman who has to be told to shut up in IV returning as an increasingly competent pilot and leader in each following film is a nice little detail honestly

the old EU got kind of carried away with it, but, well, it did that with everything and everyone

Aaron Allston wrote a couple of fun books with him at least!

• Options
    the x-wing books hold up fairly well, imo

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

its not

edit:

Yeah, there's some tinfoil hat shit going on regarding this movie.

Like... sometimes people make movies. Even when they work for Disney, sometimes people just fuckin make movies and there's stuff in them.

Not everything in TFA was a question or a mystery box. No, not that thing... nope, not that one, either. Nah, still not there.

Nope.

Most of those questions and mysteries? Guess where they came from.

Your fucking imagination.

Welcome to Star Wars, where people used to like to use their imaginations.

so, so many of these feelings of 'betrayal' from the film, or 'plot holes' that aren't actually plot holes come from this obsession with canonicity that just baffles me. Everything has to be demarcated and explained carefully, because apparently this is something we are all owed now? Not just is it not a Star Wars thing (although it is EXTREMELY an EU/Prequels thing which explains a lot tbh) it's actively bad for storytelling. These things aren't just mysteries, they are pointless information. Stuff that literally only matters if you're a wookiepedia editor who needs certain things to be True.
    To me it seems like people felt betrayed by this movie because the EU has got it into our heads that every single detail in these stories has a detailed backstory, and it's also, always important.

THIS has to be a canonical reference to the upcoming han solo film, this snoke guy HAS to be extremely critical to the story, because I ran ahead and imagined the next two movies having lots of stuff about him. Ben's turn to the dark side HAS to have a deeper explanation other than his clear personality flaws. Rey's parents have to be a mystery to be solved and wondered about, even though Maz already said they were gone and unimportant, it HAS to be something I can solve and tabulate so I can file it away in the great repository of Star Wars information. No storytelling decision happens for emotional reasons that rely on character actions/thematic reasons, it all has to have a relevance to the canon that I can read a book about later, and also complain about.

It really feels like all of this thinking is built around wanting to know everything and feel nothing. It is the quintessential Cinemasins philosophy. So when a movie like this comes along and it expressly only cares about character and nothing about """"Canon"""" I guess people get mad.

And there are criticisms to be made about the way this movie wants you to Feel (I loved it but some people have other reads of its message or execution, criticisms I think we can all enjoy talking about), but we are still so stuck in the swamp of shit like "the hyperspace maneuver is unrealistic!! why aren't they always using it!!" when it's like, unrealistic in reference to what? Why WOULDN'T it make sense in the story? You assumed things were true about star wars that obviously aren't. Stop trying to solve the movie and just watch it unfold.

I think storytellers should do their best to make things coherent and set up proper expectations but all of these 'sins' have the same issue in common- they were written for a story and not an encyclopedia.

in other words,
    the greatest mystery box JJ ever made was one that never existed

I'm not certain that was ever his intention but if it was, I kind of love it

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

The Allston ones do, anyway.

Stackpole's are shiiiiiiiiit

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So as these two droids just merrily chat away to each other I realize something. BB9E has sound.

With these Sphero droids, the BB9E and BB8 are not large enough to have a speaker inside so all the sound comes out of the phone. However my phone is across the room and off. The sound is actually coming out of the R2-D2 for both him and BB9 and it is in sync to the movement and light flashes of BB9.

This is a cool update.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I assumed it was just timing based and they were just communicating based on when I disconnected from them but clearly they are actually sending signals back and forth.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

The Allston ones do, anyway.

Stackpole's are shiiiiiiiiit

I'll definitely have to read the Allston ones

I just tried to read the first Stackpole book a year ago and it was traaassshhh

This discussion has been closed.