As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Huh. What's their take on High Elves?

Just gonna do Valar next as a class? :P

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I am not even sure, but apparently it is more like a re-skin, with a little different class options (think Cappy was one?). I am not interested in Elves, so haven't looked them yet.

Bough 4400 LP yesterday. There is double bonus LP event going on. Paid 30€, it is nice to support a good game. And they have been doing some improvents ever since they went their own way.

• Options
    I'm pleased they're still hanging in there. This game is something special.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    I was just thinking about how I am coming up on my 10th year playing this MMO.

I still haven't gotten my character to Moria, the first expansion. Been playing for a decade and all I do is just hang out and cook and farm. I putter with quests every once in a while but I really just sit on a farm and plant things then go to an oven and cook things.

Thats pretty amazing. It says something about this game, I think, not sure what though. Or maybe it says something about me. Either way, 10 year portrait is only a few weeks away. Will I make it to Moria? No, probably not, but I will make sure I am the highest level cook around, randomly dropping the highest tier Cook's Guild coffees into chat for lucky people who happen to be online when I offer it up.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I think I am going to poke around with this game as I have time to do so. What server do those of you that play use?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I think we were on Landroval, but not sure if anyone is active there.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Huh. What's their take on High Elves?

Just gonna do Valar next as a class? :P

New Race: Maiar

Racial Skill: Sacrificing yourself to return more powerful than before.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I started playing on gladden. Just poking at it a bit but i'm having fun for the time being.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Did they ever put that 4-pack of expansions on sale again? Been waiting for news about it but haven't heard anything.

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    I just logged in for the first time in three months, the background to the login screen for my dwarf looks different. It's all purple now instead of the gold and yellows it was for the past decade.

What happened?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Popped back into these forums because I started playing Elder Scrolls Online and saw this thread. I am now downloading this to see what the state of my account was. Purchased a lifetime membership at launch so I think I've been acrewing Trubo Bux for quite a few years without spending them (since it went free). Anyone know of a way I can spread the wealth of those to anyone still playing?

[EDIT] Looks like I have 40,000 some cool coins on the account.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    I don't think they allow gifting, last time I looked, pretty much specifically for that reason. Lifetime memberships could sustain quite a lot of the free players otherwise, ha.

• Options
    I won a free lifetime way way back. Thay gave me so many hours of fun times.

Rip Barrovian Society, I still think about you folks from time to time.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Popped back into these forums because I started playing Elder Scrolls Online and saw this thread. I am now downloading this to see what the state of my account was. Purchased a lifetime membership at launch so I think I've been acrewing Trubo Bux for quite a few years without spending them (since it went free). Anyone know of a way I can spread the wealth of those to anyone still playing?

[EDIT] Looks like I have 40,000 some cool coins on the account.

Buy Arias of the Valar, which are insta-105 items, then send them to someone, who can in turn sell them for thousands of gold.

Cant send raw greeble though.

• Options
    Wait, you can send those?

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Wait, you can send those?
    almost anything bought from the store can be mailed via a Mithril coin tax.

the ones you got for preordering mordor, you cant.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I will reload for free gold.

edit: but not for you fucks...just the gold.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I guess I'll post this here since honestly there isn't enough info for it's own thread and this seems a good enough fit for now.

A new online-focued LOTR game is in the works.

Some sources call it an MMO and others don't (I personally believe it is a quasi-MMO). What is clear is that it will be online focused and a "games as service" platform (Think Destiny, The Division, Warframe, etc etc). The Dev studio is new, from what I can tell and I've no clue if any notable people are involved. The parent company that owns them also own Digital Extremes (Warframe) so at the very least we probably don't have to worry about them mucking things up, just the Devs.

What info we have on the game itself is that it'll be free to play, is online and takes place "a long time" before the events of LOTR (and The Hobbit I assume).

They're working on the title with an "unspecified partner". One can only hope that it's Digital Extremes, which would make sense since they're both owned by the same company and DE are the Kings of doing F2P right. However that's largely wishful thinking on my part.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    LOTRO is still going, and apparently Thursday we'll get our first Progression server, Anor. They're calling it a Legendary Server.

It will have all the up to date patches (so bears, high elves, wardens, etc are all in) with all the up to date zones et all... but level cap of 40 and no expansions enabled. Expansions unlock every 4 months. Cash shop items will be restricted (Exp Potions will be the only thing available I think?).

VIP (Monthly sub) only, though.

I'll be honest I never got into LOTRO, but every so often I get into a LOTR kick, remember this exists, and peek in.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    is anybody around here still playing this?

also, playing on the Anor Legendary server?

I mean, I'm not adverse to switching to one of the other servers if it'll get me PA folks to chill w/

• Options
    After the kinship was disbanded I kind of stopped logging in.

• Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    I haven't logged in in years. As far as I know my lifetime sub is just silently accruing funny money (what's it called again for buying in the store?). I should really log back in and see how its changed. City of Heroes has got me by the balls though so I'd find it hard to stay for very long.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    DavidDawnDavidDawn Registered User new member
    Is there a point starting playing this in 2020?

• Options
    Not as an MMO, but if you wanted to experience it as a single player game just to see what was there you could. I'm honestly surprised it's still running.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I duck into this from time to time. It's got a solid story behind it, and lots of single-player stuff. There's a pretty dedicated playerbase for it- nothing massive, but the home fires keep burning.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DavidDawnDavidDawn Registered User new member
    Not as an MMO, but if you wanted to experience it as a single player game just to see what was there you could. I'm honestly surprised it's still running.

That's too bad. I always liked the environment - it was really gorgeous in LOTRO :/

• Options
    Crossposting this from the main MMO thread:

Until April 30th, LOTRO is completely open to anyone who wants to sign in and play- all areas, quests, dungeons and everything is open for players to adventure in. If you've always wanted to come by and check it out, then this is a great chance to just see what the game's all about!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Update:

Standing Stone has extended the free-play period until May 31! In addition, all VIP members who log in a character between May 1 - May 31 will get:

* A picker box of medium carryalls, choose from one of the following: Crafting, Task, Essence, Instrument or Housing Decoration.
    * Greater morale potion (bound to character, delivered to every character a player logs into on their account between May 1st and May 31st.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I’ve long fantasized about if they were to rerelease LotR:O as a Baldurs Gate style stop motion arpg with you building and commanding a fellowship of characters and let you explore all the content in the MMO without needing to wait on other players

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    We had some pretty amazing times with this game.

Even walked away from it with a close friendship.

Hard to believe that was probably, what? 10 years ago.. .

• Options
    Still one of the best MMO's I ever played.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    You guys are making me want to visit this game. I basically only play MMOs as single player games anyway and I've been in a LOTR mood lately. Started re-reading the hobbit too.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    anoffday wrote: »
    You guys are making me want to visit this game. I basically only play MMOs as single player games anyway and I've been in a LOTR mood lately. Started re-reading the hobbit too.

I can heartily endorse playing this as a single player LOTR game as long as you can cope with some grindy MMO quest type bits. Since it's f2p for a bunch of things anyway it's basically just there for you.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Created a hobbit hunter in brandywine, and the world chat is pretty active. I've seen quite a few people running by doing quests as well.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Early zones were always rather active, especially Shire, but then you got 3 expacs in and you keep running into the same 5 people and that's it. It is certainly a long game for patient people :(

• Options
    But honestly I think just Dorking around in the Shire for a LotR fix is... Pretty great. It just feels good to be there.

• Options
    there were a lot of people who played that gae for years and never left the starting areas. . .

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Wow I'd like to play this again from the beginning. I had a weird flashback to running Carn Dum (probably butchering that spelling) and just not understanding that is was like 6 hours long and possibly unbeatable. Totally different era of this kind of game.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I would totally want to jump back into this game if there was controller support. Yeah, the Shire was pretty amazing as a starting area.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    So, fresh news from Standing Stone:

1) Free play for LOTRO has been extended, once again... to August 31st. I'm fairly certain that this will be where the free play ends (heck, six months of free access to everything is pretty amazing).

2) A coupon will be released in the near future to allow current players (and those who log on before Aug. 31st) to either get some older content for free, or at a huge discount.

3) A limited-time sale will be held sometime (maybe soon) where you can purchase the following expansions for 99 LOTRO points (total or each hasn't been announced yet):

Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
    Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
    Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
    Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
    Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
    Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan

As for VIPs, in addition to all their current benefits, they'll also get access to a vendor in towns that provides the following, once per day:

* 48-hours of town services items
    * a buff that negates item wear
    * a buff that provides rapid crafting

If you wanted to dive full-on or get back into the game, well... this would be a pretty good time to grab a lot of content for not a lot of $$$!

steam_sig.png