As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Thursday, December 21, 2017 - Party Down

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Thursday, December 21, 2017 - Party Down

Party Down

Party Down

http://campcomic.com/comic/490

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Bottom row:

Seventeen has a wooden party hat and she took it off to be sad. That is the most adorable thing I have seen this week, and I own a cat.

Skizz on
  • ThatsARockFactThatsARockFact Registered User new member
    Awww, Malachi was crying.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Judging by his red eyes, Malachi has been crying the entire way back. But he did the right thing, the mature thing, the selfless thing and let Linus leave. At least Brian and Seventeen can comfort him now.
    Maybe one day, Malachi will get the chance to throw Linus another party. The future isn’t set in stone.

• TheOneThatGotAwayTheOneThatGotAway Registered User regular
    Ugh, that feeling of crying so much you just can't cry anymore...

• xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    Those will be my eyes in ten minutes, THANKS ADAM AND KATIE *sobs*

• StitchedLipsStitchedLips Registered User new member
    I've followed this comic from the start. I think this arc is my favorite so far. Also, Brian looks astonished and might want to look for his own way out yet he cares about Malachi and sat that feeling aside.. for now.

• nocentrenocentre Registered User regular
    Aside from being another great strip... that's a perfect title.

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    Unseen tears :' ) I really enjoy that you are killing us with emotions here.
    (Masterful page)

• RoaringRavenRoaringRaven Registered User regular
    Those red eyes say a lot. :(

• beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    Listen, this comic is just great. I'm not normally someone who comments and I'm only commenting now because I'm blizted. But it's fantastic.

• Hawk1966Hawk1966 Leiche Central FloridaRegistered User regular
    Wow, that got even the stoic Brian was stunned. Amazing tug at the heartstrings. Panel 8. That kills me.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    thank you. /great stuff

• pogleypogley Registered User regular
    My heart was already broken, and now it's doubled. The red eyes are a brilliant indication... x

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    Brian is so sad for his little friend! Even...even the rock in the last two panels looks sad (if you tilt your head sideways)

• CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    If a future comic has a Linus-shaped skeleton in it, I'm not gonna be happy....

• marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Remember when we thought that the worst that would happen with this storyline is that Malachi would throw Linus a big party and Linus would hate it?
    http://campcomic.com/comic/429

marsilies on
  • BrobBrob Registered User regular
    Those poor red eyes have had quite the journey...
    Brian's initial shock leaves me looking at the last panel wondering if he's showing sorrow or dawning realization that one can leave the camp...

• CalebCaleb Registered User regular
    Aww...his eyes are red from crying...

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Coming of age means your birthday means something else now.

• FellowFellow Registered User regular
    Did 17 tear up the books for the happy birthday decoration?

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    @cryptkicker At the risk of killing some of the mystery... don't worry. There's zero percent chance of that happening.

• exohobbitexohobbit Registered User new member
    edited December 2017
    I *still* think Linus was Malachai's imaginary friend or alter ego. It all fits perfectly. Linus has been Malachai's idea of what an older, wiser version of himself would be like. And now he has "left camp" -- because Malachai found his real older, wiser self in the office with Neiman, and now he doesn't need Linus any more.

exohobbit on
  • PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    @cryptkicker @adamrw Yeah, we know that one girl would quickly and expertly dig a grave for his remains, whether he was dead yet or not.

• Kairos615Kairos615 Registered User regular
    Oh, Seventeen. I've missed you.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    @Adamrw I'm on to your mindgames! There can't be a skeleton if they never find the body!

• BlaiseCorvinBlaiseCorvin Registered User new member
    My theory:

The campers were all unhappy kids who died young and possibly violently.

Camp is where they can have the childhood they were robbed, and find acceptance for themselves or put away their inner demons before moving on to the greater afterlife before puberty.

Camp is not purgatory, it's healing.

Evidence:

17's blowing up still w/ her family, Brian's knife and fighting, etc etc.

Maybe Linus committed suicide. When Malachi believed in him, that was what he needed to move on before he grew of age and had to go some place else.

By the flashbacks of the kids, you can see that this world at least loosely follows the same rules as our own. However, in camp, somehow all the kids survive on little food drops of barely edible food.

TL:DR, I think Camp is a place of healing for the campers before moving on.

• PaizleeRoxPaizleeRox Registered User regular
    I've had this list for a while, and given the new theories about purgatory, I might as well list it again. (almsot) every named character is in here, not counting more obscure ones or ones we haven't seen for a while.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1stG7vsdRkdpBCQWeFzrT6CCrqwvoQLnEMoMhZ9fzhqQ/edit?usp=sharing

• NagoraNagora Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    @BLAISECORVIN "Camp is not purgatory, it's healing."

That's what purgatory is supposed to be for - to "purge" (get it? purge-purgatory) you so you can move on up. Tolkien used and illustrated this idea in his short story "Leaf, by Niggle". Worth a read.

Nagora on
  • SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Row 3:

Red eyed. Monotone, repetative voice.

Will we ever know what Malachi saw, alone in the deep woods?
    Or, maybe he is just allergic to all the cats.

It’s a mystery.

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Seventeen is too cute ;.;

• motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    @Adamrw Well of course not. When a bear swallows you whole there's no skeleton left to find!

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Now begins the complex process of grief.

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Awwwww, Malachi. Baby. Look at his eyes. I just wanna give the lil guy a hug.

sig.gif
  • VisionAriVisionAri Registered User regular
    @NAGORA: That was a delightful story. Thanks for the recommendation.

• GedGed Registered User regular
    is it just me, or does Brian look way skinnier?

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I think its just how he was drawn this time.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    Ged wrote: »
    is it just me, or does Brian look way skinnier?

growth spurt!
    once the oldest child leaves camp (i.e. becomes an adult), the next oldest child then begins the transformative process. /speculation

• davidhbrowndavidhbrown Registered User regular
    Brian might well be skinnier -- certainly, despite heroic efforts, the camp food is not too good nor plentiful. In comparing some of the earliest drawings of Brian -- say, http://campcomic.com/comic/25 -- he seems very slumped down while here is is standing tall. (It would not be beyond Katie and Adam for that in itself to be meaningful and deliberate.)

• aflyingskypieaflyingskypie Registered User regular
    @HAJEN you mean like how aging works =P

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    BUt they can still have a party, right? :0