The Heat is Out in my House, and other [Holiday Disasters]

Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
Hey all!

The heat is out in my house! There is no hot water and it is 45° indoors!!!!!! AAAAAAAAA

Luckily all my appliances are electric so I'm keeping warm with a steady stream of cocoa and hot food

This is a thread about any similar issues that have befallen you this holiday, and how you are keeping your Holiday Cheer despite the odds! There's already a comfort thread for like, loss and stuff, but things like this don't seem to belong there so!! Here is this thread as well!!

THE HEAT MAY NOT BE BACK FOR UP TO THREE DAYS

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I've ran out of propane before and we have bad insulation so it got down to like 20f or lower in here.

I hope you get heat back soon it isn't fun.

you know we used to get where our pipes would freeze a couple times winter too. melting snow to use the water is never fun either.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    Car battery died.

Progressives roadside assistance is shit, I've been waiting for something since 8:30 This morning

Make. Time.
    Blameless Cleric
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    oh yeah my mom could not start her brand new two month old jetta earlier today because of the cold.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am dog sitting for a friend. Last night she got out of our fence somehow at around 2 am. I got to spend 45 minutes chasing her around in basically circles. I did finally catch her though so everything turned out OK in the end.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Blameless Cleric
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ooh boy.

I had my power cut last week for 9 hours at night and I was FREEZING when morning came. I can't imagine 3 days. Be strong, Bleric.

Be strong and keep burning furniture. you have to stay alive.

Blameless Cleric
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    My car took a shit on the Garden State Parkway a few hours ago and after dealing with some morons in Tennessee via the magic of telephone I am at my mechanics waiting to see of it is my transmission that's fucked or something hopefully more benign.

Also nervously waiting to hear back from someone about a project but that's more background at the moment.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    I also am decidedly not at my mother in law's celebrating a sorta second Christmas day with my wife and baby girl. Fuck this day.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Books are of little use for the future generations if we do not survive the night. We will write more when the sun is raised on our species, but now is a time for kindling.

VRXwDW7.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I went to use my desktop PC this morning and it isn't working properly. It powers on, all the lights and fans come on, and my keyboard lights up (the num, caps, and scroll lock indicators) but I get no image on the screen and the keyboard is non-responsive.

Gonna have to try and fix it when I get home from work.

Blameless Cleric
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    We used to rent an old duplex with terrible heating and no air conditioning. It would regularly get down into the 50s during the winter. You can get a space heater for $25 that will keep a room toasty. Unless your money situation is dire, I'd either do that or stay at a friends than live in that over the holidays. 3 days of cold will wear you down.

furbat on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Panem, circenses, credulous descent. A Gadarene charge into endarkenment Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    oh yeah my mom could not start her brand new two month old jetta earlier today because of the cold.

I'm about to go buy a jumper kit once they arrive. I need a new battery but that'll have to wait until Friday, plus a jumper kit will be a useful bit of kit for my car.

Make. Time.
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    It's -30C/-16F here and my heat isn't out but it's still cold :(

Atomikajungleroomx
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Gosh I'm fully expecting to hit the snow storm on my way back up north, does that still count as a holiday disaster this late in the game?

I think I'm going to get up at like 4 am tomorrow and just go the whole 15 hours and hope I get ahead of the next wave of snow.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    She's alive!

942umkhnfoz0.jpg

Make. Time.
    redxknitdanBlameless Clericbowenspool32Johnny ChopsockySlacker71furlionThe Escape GoatUrielcabsyMadEddy
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Good Samaritan, or did Roadside assistance show up finally?

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    Good Samaritan, or did Roadside assistance show up finally?

They went with a different company and they got here in 45 minutes.

Make. Time.
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    we have a grow light for our plants in our room and it warms our room up at least, and our other housemates won't be back til like Friday

@jungleroomx nice Dart, I had one as my last car.

The battery went bad like 2 years into ownership, and I bought the car new.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    we have a grow light for our plants in our room and it warms our room up at least, and our other housemates won't be back til like Friday

"plants"

Gotcha

*wink, nudge*

But also don't freeze to death or I will be very cross! It will validate so many of my mother's fears!

spool32Blameless Cleric
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Albuterol treatment for wheezing Christmas Day at parents house.

An hour later and a 140 bpm heart rate and 190/something blood pressure, and I'm at the ER.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    lol on Christmas morning I let the dogs out at 9:30

At 9:45 I went back upstairs, took a leak, and went back to bed for a while.

at 10:15 we got up for Christmas morning! There was 1.5 inches of water in the entire downstairs of the house!

It took 3 hours to shop vac and dry the floor before we could have Christmas. There was no plumbing until 10 minutes ago when the guy finally cleared a clog that was underneath the sidewalk outside.

yaaaaay all our flooring is destroyed and the insurance probably won't cover it.

skippydumptruck
    spool32 wrote: »

at 10:15 we got up for Christmas morning! There was 1.5 inches of water in the entire downstairs of the house!

It took 3 hours to shop vac and dry the floor before we could have Christmas. There was no plumbing until 10 minutes ago when the guy finally cleared a clog that was underneath the sidewalk outside.

yaaaaay all our flooring is destroyed and the insurance probably won't cover it.

Oh wow :bigfrown: Sorry to hear that Spool, that's a pretty rough way for your Christmas to start :bro:

But also new rule: for the safety of houses everywhere, the 32 clan is not allowed to ... have houses >_>

milskiMsAnthropySleepfurlionThe Escape Goatcabsy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I always tell people that sewage/drainage riders on renters/homeowners is 100% worth the cost. It's about 1/4 of my renters but if for some reason a toilet dumps its contents on my stuff I don't have to replace it myself (which is super likely because toilets and drains do this stuff constantly).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    cabsy
    jgeis wrote: »

I like the car but damn Dodge makes some shoddy accessories.

Once it's paid off in trading it in for something else like a Civic hatchback or something.

Make. Time.
    edited December 2017

Once it's paid off in trading it in for something else like a Civic hatchback or something.

I haven't done research to see if this bears out, but the dealer I bought the car from said that they see a lot of bad batteries on all models lately (well, as of like 3 years ago) because cars have more power features and accessories and it's causing the batteries to wear more quickly.

I mean on the surface that makes sense to me, I had never had a car with heated seats, or a touchscreen, or a digital dashboard. Seems like cars are definitely using more power now.

jgeis on
    Raynaga wrote: »

An hour later and a 140 bpm heart rate and 190/something blood pressure, and I'm at the ER.

On account of the Albuterol right?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Oh wow :bigfrown: Sorry to hear that Spool, that's a pretty rough way for your Christmas to start :bro:

But also new rule: for the safety of houses everywhere, the 32 clan is not allowed to ... have houses >_>

narwhal I feel you on the no house thing but I need someplace to put this Vive and also the dogs and Bel is not an exhibitionist so

I think we're stuck with regularly using shelter for the time being!

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Raynaga wrote: »

Ughhhhh that sucks

I have an Albuterol inhaler and every now and again I wind up shaking and dizzy with my heart freaking out - it's never been hospital bad, but I can imagine :(

:bro:

Blameless Cleric on

NightDragon
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

narwhal I feel you on the no house thing but I need someplace to put this Vive and also the dogs and Bel is not an exhibitionist so

I think we're stuck with regularly using shelter for the time being!

Listen friend, I don't make the rules, I just think 'em up and write 'em down.

spool32

I haven't done research to see if this bears out, but the dealer I bought the car from said that they see a lot of bad batteries on all models lately (well, as of like 3 years ago) because cars have more power features and accessories and it's causing the batteries to wear more quickly.

I mean on the surface that makes sense to me, I had never had a car with heated seats, or a touchscreen, or a digital dashboard. Seems like cars are definitely using more power now.

Well, in my case the Bluetooth module is dead, one of the air pressure sensors is dead, the UTouch screen constantly resets, the USB port is dead, and my cruise control works about half the time.

Make. Time.
    The Bluetooth module went dead in mine too, got it replaced under warranty. My touchscreen reset occasionally but not often enough to bother me.

I had the 1.4T engine with the DDCT and I had one of the ~200 cars with a bad clutch slave cylinder. It left me stranded in an intersection in a busy mall parking lot and then it took a month for them to get a new part and replace it. The transmission was reliable after that.

The engine was technically trouble free for the 120k miles I put on it, but when it got cold it would always throw a check engine light. It eventually just turned off while I drove.

I loved that car but it was definitely of questionable quality.

Weirdly my girlfriend's Fiat 500 is of the same model year and seems immune to FCA's somewhat notorious quality.

jungleroomx
    I loved that car but it was definitely of questionable quality.

Weirdly my girlfriend's Fiat 500 is of the same model year and seems immune to FCA's somewhat notorious quality.

Drove pretty awesome, but yeah, there was some duct tape and spit in there it felt like.

Make. Time.
This discussion has been closed.