This is the [Doctor Who] thread.

2»

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Karen Gillan thinks being on Doctor Who was an important stepping stone to getting movie roles like Nebula (MCU), and Ruby Roundhouse/Martha (Jumanji).

#GillanTheDoctorForteen

Jazz
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Just watched the Christmas special. Spoilers ahoy.
    Great episode. 9/10.

Honestly, I had started to fall out of love with this show. I guess I was growing tired of Moffat's writing? Much like I did Davies' by the end of his run. This episode reminded me why I fell in love with Doctor Who. I loved it. I also teared up multiple times this episode. Not sure quite what it was, but the first time was during the Captain's time in the ditch, resigning himself to his death. That piano piece, I hope they release it as a full track. Reminded me of the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack.

Second was the first Doctor admitting he was afraid to 12, with the music from Rose' first departure at the end of season 2 playing. Finally, 12 getting his memories back about Clara and the goodbyes. Contentious I'm sure, but I'm glad Moffat stuck that in.

They did the "Yes, the 50's were a different time" jokes really well. I really appreciated Bill's take on that schtick. I quite liked #1 noticing things that 12 missed using his plain old eyes. I'd forgotten how he didn't get his sonic til late Pertwee, I think? Loved the Captain. Fantastic use of the character, in a cast with multiple Doctors I found him owning the screen whenever he was present.

I felt like 12's sendoff to 13 were almost Moffat's notes to the next director. I can't recall, were his lines said in previous incarnations as a goodbye? 10 to 11 or something?

Only gripes were minor, for one what happened to the Captain after Bill revealed herself? From a shocked face to suddenly....nothing? He's fine? Jump scares for no real reason. Also, no scenes of a bunch of Doctors during the recap to #1 in the chamber. (Though I am blatantly biased.)

I am really going to miss Capaldi. He's easily my second favourite Doctor after 9. The new doctor looks rad already. Love her accent. I am really hanging out for a new writing style and the avenues that are opened up with future companion dynamics.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
    Zilla360
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Just gonna spoiler everything just in case, even though some of its been known for months.
    Could have seriously done without Clara, But overall a decent episode. Capaldi's regeneration didnt feel very poignant for me, personally, just some mad ramblings before letting the plot train came to a stop.

Interested to see how they handle a female doctor, and i really really hope they dont bungle it and give all the hemanwomanhaters out there fresh fuel to throw on their anti-woman fires that flared up after they originally announced it.

Gonna really miss Capaldi, i really really loved his Doctor, and his style, and everything.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
    Zilla360
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Just gonna spoiler everything just in case, even though some of its been known for months.
    Could have seriously done without Clara, But overall a decent episode. Capaldi's regeneration didnt feel very poignant for me, personally, just some mad ramblings before letting the plot train came to a stop.

Interested to see how they handle a female doctor, and i really really hope they dont bungle it and give all the hemanwomanhaters out there fresh fuel to throw on their anti-woman fires that flared up after they originally announced it.

Gonna really miss Capaldi, i really really loved his Doctor, and his style, and everything.
    Don't worry about the NOMA'AM club, if the new show runner bungles its on bad writing, not that having the Doctor being a woman was a bad idea.

UnluckySleepKing RiptorCyvrosMancingtom
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

Don't worry about the NOMA'AM club, if the new show runner bungles its on bad writing, not that having the Doctor being a woman was a bad idea.
    I wonder what the viewership on this Christmas special was. I know I specifically tuned in to watch it live on BBC America, rather than pushing to go to another Christmas party, because I really wanted to see the transition to the first lady doctor.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

But now the Doctor is a lady she's going to be a bad driver who gets lost a lot and doesn't like senseless violence and talks about feelings a lot.

Total. Character. Assassination.

King RiptorSleepSnicketysnickHarry DresdenJonBobnwrabeSaraLunaMancingtomMvrck
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat but not a real green dress, that's cruel Registered User regular
    So I admittedly haven't watched this in a while (last Christmas special was probably it, I just follow along when my brother puts it on), but
    That episode just seemed kinda crap? Capaldi was great, and the first doctor was fine, but all the supporting actors either were having a very bad day or just had no idea what to make of the script. A ton of the lines were delivered very awkwardly and it kept taking me out of it. Also the gel people weren't the funny bad sort of bad special effects, they were just bad.

The story might have been fine but I expected a bit more polish from a production standpoint.

tony danza cuts in line
    jammu
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    So I admittedly haven't watched this in a while (last Christmas special was probably it, I just follow along when my brother puts it on), but
    That episode just seemed kinda crap? Capaldi was great, and the first doctor was fine, but all the supporting actors either were having a very bad day or just had no idea what to make of the script. A ton of the lines were delivered very awkwardly and it kept taking me out of it. Also the gel people weren't the funny bad sort of bad special effects, they were just bad.

The story might have been fine but I expected a bit more polish from a production standpoint.

I agree with all these points.

that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I thought the acting was fine, though the glass effects weren’t great.

This was one of those episodes where, on reflection, no plot worth a damn actually happened.

CyvrosApocalyptus
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Yeah looking back on it there was no plot. But that's fine sometimes!

Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

The Escape GoatSnicketysnickJazzKing RiptorSleepJonBobCyvrosNarbusApocalyptusBurnageUnluckyMancingtom
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I was certainly happier with this handover than I was with the last one.

CyvrosApocalyptusUnlucky
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Have not watched the Doctor since the episode in Victorian England with the clockwork....actually, that's probably like 5 Doctor episodes.

Capaldi was alright, but I just couldn't stick with the series for some reason. I hope that pic I saw of the new doctor isn't her final series long outfit, because the only thing I could think of was Mork from Ork when I saw it.

Capaldi is my favourite New Who Doctor. He went at it full tilt and by the end had utterly nailed the part. Godspeed.

KneelSleepDark Raven XCyvrosNarbusApocalyptusUnlucky
    Yeah Capaldi was my favourite too. I'm a little worried that Whittaker won't have a through-line to his performance and will go back to more of a ten/eleven style of performance but that's based on literally a single line. Who the fuck knows how she'll turn out?

Sleep
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    My favourite is still Smith, but I did like the silly run Capaldi invented for the Doctor, where he wobbles a bit too much with his hands held out. And to be fair, I think Smith had the advantage of most of Moffat's better designs, because when Capaldi was given material like Heaven Sent, he really did it justice.

Desktop Hippie
    I had to peace out of Smith's run, I couldn't take the writing any more. Amy Pond was... a lot.

ElbasunuCyvrosUnlucky
    Amy on her own was a bit too much retreading old ground, but I enjoyed it once we got Rory along for the ride as well.

That Jodie Whitaker is getting 3 companions has me very hopeful that we're past the "single companion who immediately falls for the Doctor" stage (although having it be a guy falling in love with a female doctor would be an interesting role reversal).

Please Christ on this your holiest of days no more companion romances ever

SnicketysnickGustavJazzButler For Life #1Al_watKing RiptorSleepCentipede DamascusThe Escape GoatElbasunuJonBobRhesus PositiveDark Raven XMichaelLCpezgenCyvrosNarbusCroakerBCApocalyptusShadowhopeInvectivusJayKaosUnluckyboogedybooMancingtomHadesMvrck
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Two of the new companion actors are unfamiliar to me, but I'm just hoping I can see Bradley Walsh as someone other than that bloke who hosts The Chase. I know he used to be an actor but I've never seen him doing it as far as I remember.

Christopher Eccleston/ Tennant / Pertwee for me. I'm not going to rank any of them over or under the others, but they're my favorites.

Seriously, look at that jacket.

fa9c2c35d950fdfccd2fba629e90a9e3--the-dinosaurs-jon-pertwee.jpg

wanderingUnlucky
    I mean, yeah, if we're including Old Docs, Pertwee absolutely (please, please, please can we get a Sea Devils episode?).

You kids and your Tardises. 3rd doctor drove every form of land based vehicle - most notably the Whomobile, which was apparently not made for the show, but for Pertwee himself.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Whomobile

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    NO. Not the Sea Devils. They are the one that actually gave me nightmares as a kid, compared to the Cybermen who merely terrified me. (And to be fair, still give me the heebies even now)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Moffat's writing was infamously terrible in handling women, so I hope with the new Lady Doctor and Moffat going away, the show is better than it has been about that sort of thing. I know for a fact a lot of people are tuning in to see a female presenting Doctor.

I peaced out with 11, because the end half of his run was godawful. Clara was a mistake.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    SleepCyvrosApocalyptus
    Four, Twelve, Ten, Five, Eleven, Two, Seven, War, Nine, One, Eight, Three, Six.

Dark Raven X
    I peaced out with 11, because the end half of his run was godawful. Clara was a mistake.

Clara was a lot better with Capaldi than with Smith.

GustavCentipede DamascusSleepElbasunuRhesus PositiveThe Dude With HerpesNarbusKing RiptorBurnageDark Raven XUnluckyMancingtom
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I hear good things about Clara in Twelve's run, but by that point I was so fed up with Moffat's writing that I couldn't watch anymore.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I like Doctor Who even when it's bad.

SleepNarbusDark Raven X
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Seven, Two, Four, Nine, Twelve, Ten, Eight, War, Eleven, One, Three, Six.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I was a big fan of eccleston. I still think he may have been my favorite. Tennant definitely took the role and made it his and I liked it a bunch. Smith I could tolerate, but you could see his heart wasn't in it as much towards the end (And by end i mean past hos first season), and rory was his best companion but got the least play, and a bunch of his storylines were kinda bad. Capaldi just always seemed like he was having fun. Even when he was getting real serious about it he was just diving in full force and it was great.

Im also a heathen American that only has experience with new who and like no experience with old who outside of mcgann and baker

Sleep on
    Unlucky
    edited December 2017
    IDK, Moffat seemed to do alright. I always liked River clocking the doctor in Forest of the Dead so she can save the day. His episodes were always the ones I remember best. I loved Amy's scene in the Big Bang when she remembers 11 and brings him back.

I was really happy they brought back McGann without the wig for the transition short. Eccleston is my wife's fav, she's not a big fan of the show, but she really like his work on it.

Nosf on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I got shivers at all the musical callbacks to 9/Rose, and I'm not even sure why those were in there. "The Doctor's Theme" is right up there with "I am the Doctor" for me. I think a lot of it is emotional resonance with that part in End of the World where he's stepping through the fan blades, which was the moment in New Who where I thought to myself "Yes. Yes, they've got this right."

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Day of the Doctor and then Face the Raven/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent made me willing to retroactively forgive a lot of Moffat's mistakes. At least for Doctor Who, Sherlock fans are on their own.

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Seven, Two, Four, Nine, Twelve, Ten, Eight, War, Eleven, One, Three, Six.

Eight, Seven, Four, Eleven, Six ..., Nine, Ten, War, Twelve ..., Five. Haven't seen enough 1-3 to judge.

Outside off 11th Doctor, I usually prefer the audiobooks.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • CyvrosCyvros London 1965Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    I got shivers at all the musical callbacks to 9/Rose, and I'm not even sure why those were in there. "The Doctor's Theme" is right up there with "I am the Doctor" for me. I think a lot of it is emotional resonance with that part in End of the World where he's stepping through the fan blades, which was the moment in New Who where I thought to myself "Yes. Yes, they've got this right."

It looks like Murray Gold won't be returning next year, so knowing that, it kind of felt like he was doing a greatest hits package. Like, there were all the Nine/Rose cues, cues from Ten's regeneration and The End of Time, cues from Hell Bent... probably from elsewhere in his back catalogue as well.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    That makes sense. I hadn't heard he was moving on. How much influence do you think he has on sound design? I love his composition, but the music balance has been chronically overpowering for the past few years.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Unlucky
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    The special was pretty bland, but it felt like a good thing.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened, there was no mystery or secrets. Just a straight forward conclusion to 12 that let it be its own thing and not wrapped up in a bunch of other stuff.

I don't know how much of that was Moffats call or higher ups making him be restrained, but it worked for me, and cleared the board well for whatever happens next with Who, without any real baggage from before.

I liked all the cameos and characters, I didn't feel like anything was inappropriate, and nothing felt out of place.

Just...simple and positive.

Which, if we're all being honest (I always feel the need to add the disclaimer that I loved the Moffat years, and thought he did an, overall, fantastic job), is something Moffat was never really good at doing.

Love or hate his style, I feel like this episode showed that he has great respect for the character and franchise and wants to give it the best chance he could going forward without his inclusion or oversight.

I didn't know Gold wasn't coming back, that is a huge bummer to me.

I'm genuinely concerned about where Who is going to go now, as I don't feel like Chibnall has shown he has any idea what the show is about or who the character even is, in his handful of episodes, but that doesn't mean it has to be bad. It'll likely be different, very different even, for better or worse.

We shall see!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The last thing that Moffat put into his version of Doctor Who was a harsh lesson about the skill of female drivers.

I swear his fetish is how much can he beat up the tardis each regeneration .

And uh the Mature severe lady thing.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    ApocalyptusCyvros
This discussion has been closed.