Yule in Yharnam, a [Bloodborne] thread

2»

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    The weird niche bosses were some of my favorite moments of Bloodborne. The witches of hemmwick and Micolash were just the sort of crazy that needed to be thrown in here. They were not the best fights, and were more annoying than hard but unique and thus stood out.

RainfallGyral
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I really need to finish Bloodborne at some point. I love it and have gotten far several times, but I think some part of me don't want to be done with it so I never get around to beating the last couple of bosses.

• ZavianZavian doesn't own a cat.... might be a cat Registered User regular
    Having gone with a STR two handed build, I wonder how viable a bloodtinge/arcane build would be? I never use the guns, but there seem to be quite a few, along with a bunch of magic items I obtained but my arcane is too low to use.

Pretty sure they are all viable but you will just be really limited in appropriate weapons at the start of the game.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Bloodborne is like 80% of why I want a PS4. A switch fits better with my life right now so I probably never will but just know I'm jealous of you guys since Bloodborne pushes all my buttons. Are there any good let's plays that are worth watching?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There's a lot of great things in Bloodborne, but the best thing is the singing from the lanterns.

PSN: Honkalot
  • HugglesHuggles Future War Cult 4 lyfRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Neaden wrote: »
    Bloodborne is like 80% of why I want a PS4. A switch fits better with my life right now so I probably never will but just know I'm jealous of you guys since Bloodborne pushes all my buttons. Are there any good let's plays that are worth watching?

Epicnamebro is the very best imo, check out his playthrough. He helped write the strategy guide so it's equal parts walkthrough and lore analysis, really great stuff:

E: also a PS4 is absolutely worth buying for Bloodborne alone

Huggles on
    Minecraft: Ginjinngear | Steam
    PSN: NAJBAR-AJO
    KarozReynolds
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Karoz wrote: »
    Pretty sure they are all viable but you will just be really limited in appropriate weapons at the start of the game.

anything that's convertible to arcane will suffice, although a waning gem slot (saw spear, saw cleaver, ludwig's holy blade, beasthunter saif) is preferable in the long term

stick with base stats, pump arcane, roll with basic physical saw spear or cleaver and flamesprayer until bloodstarved beast

do the first pthumeru chalice and farm the flaming weapon hollows on layer two for cursed fire radials, pick up a fire waning gem on the route between the old workshop and the cathedral ward

i would describe it as "adequate"

Elendil on
    KarozQanamil
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Figuring out how Micolash worked was frustrating as hell, and not the good kind of most bosses. First attempts were 90% chasing him around 10% fighting.

And then once you know how he works he's trivial.

steam_sig.png
    Aistan wrote: »
    Figuring out how Micolash worked was frustrating as hell, and not the good kind of most bosses. First attempts were 90% chasing him around 10% fighting.

And then once you know how he works he's trivial.
    then you try him on a low level run or a high NG cycle and he wraps back around to being super hard again

he stalled my level 4 playthrough for months

Klatu
    Dang I will never do a low level run of blerdbern. It's rough enough having a weapon that sucks, damage-wise.

Speaking of that, what's the best non-dlc bloodtinge weapon available to me where I am, fighting Amelia? The threaded cane doesn't cut it, it just does shit damage. Would like to get to the actual weapon types of this build sooner rather than later.

steam_sig.png
  • ZavianZavian doesn't own a cat.... might be a cat Registered User regular
    I wish there was a way to improve the Threaded Cane. I want to do a not-Castlevania run damkit

Fencingsax
    the only two non-gun bloodtinge weapons are the chikage and bloodletter. you can get the chikage right after amelia, pretty much, but it's not gonna be easy.

threaded cane can do pretty good damage. whip mode has a damage bonus vs. beasts. throw a fire paper on it and it'll fuck her up.

KarozReynolds
    The whip form also has more of a stagger effect iirc. I think it also has the longest effective range of any melee weapon. It definitely feels like more of an attrition weapon to me which I why I never got on with it but it's definitely effective.

Zavian wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to improve the Threaded Cane. I want to do a not-Castlevania run damkit

just level it up, dump points in skill, and stick decent gems in it

the threaded cane owns

ArmorocKarozFencingsaxTamerBillNaphtalinever dieQanamil
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Your options for Bloodtinge and Arcane weapons are pretty limited early on, but low-ranked weapons don't get much scaling from your stats anyway, so feel free to use whatever.

KarozRainfall
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I wonder what it's like playing this game with like, a family in the house

all you hear is weird gothic choral music and horrible screams of the damned

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    ArmorocFencingsaxKarozHakkekageMan in the Mists
    Stop it guys. I am getting home today but most of my game time will be spent on SWTOR, the Division and a host of other games I pick up from the winter steam sale. Now you're trying to get me to fit Bloodborne in there.

Bad thread, bad.

Malakaius
  • metaghostmetaghost Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

the threaded cane owns

Threaded Cane is definitely the "Hard Mode" weapon of the initial choices and easy to get frustrated by, but damn satisfying once you learn it.

KarozfurlionNaphtaliHeraldSReynoldsMrGrimoire
    metaghost wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

the threaded cane owns

Threaded Cane is definitely the "Hard Mode" weapon of the initial choices and easy to get frustrated by, but damn satisfying once you learn it.

Also the the cane form is almost all pierce damage which is super-effective against some of the more irritating enemy types. It's also 'blessed' in cane form which gives bonus damage vs a few odd enemy types.

Karoz
    I love the idea of the cane more than the reality. Well really all I want is a charged R2 when in whip form and I would be a okay with it.

Just a classy hunter taking a stroll down the gas lamp lit streets of Yarnham. She hears the growl of a beast, sees the dark form gorging itself upon an innocent as it turns its bloodtinged teeth towards the hunter. With a low growl it lunges towards the hunter as she dodges a few blows, deflecting a few with the cane before stepping back and standing her ground. The signatue sound as the whip transforms breaks the silence, its serpentine form undulating in the air causes the creature to take a step back in fear. A small grin plays against the hunter's face, revealing enlarged canines as she approaches her prey and the hunt begins again.

I also imagine the old hunters first encountered with their heavy whip hybrids are the inevitable result of these poor souls who once draped themselves in the trappings of civil society now have become little more than beasts themselves.

edited December 2017
    Sorry, I appear to have made a wordgasm.

I'll clean up the mess later...wait...

What's that smell?

Karoz on
    I have never seen the threaded cane's whip form do more damage to beasts.

It's always the same damage, but slower. And slightly longer range.

steam_sig.png
    It may be one of those modifiers that is just too low to see at the beginning of the game to really matter and by later on you have moved on to other weapons.

Aistan
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »

Opinions vary. EpicNameBro had a good LP.

A German Spy also had a good, more casual run. He also worked on the strategy guide, I believe.

steam_sig.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Speaking of Bloodborne

I finally got to play the Bloodborne card game @Stale so graciously gifted me last year. It was really fun and a great little game in and of itself, and a shout-out to the manual to being not only human readable, but functional. After dealing with one manual that was borderline unreadable today (Samurai Spirits, looking at you) it was a welcome improvement.

B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    Karoz
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I need to get back into Bloodborne. I sorta stalled out around Darkbeast Paarl, and was using the Threaded Cane.

I get why I might have been having trouble now.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Paarl gave me trouble both times I played through. He's just a bitch because he moves around so damn much.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Karoz
    Kay wrote: »
    I need to get back into Bloodborne. I sorta stalled out around Darkbeast Paarl, and was using the Threaded Cane.

I get why I might have been having trouble now.
    Threaded Cane is basically ideal for Paarl

It's got the range to hit multiple body parts plus the serrated bonus and it's light on stamina

Any kind of beast boss with limb cripple mechanics and a big hitbox is the sort of thing the cane was born to slaughter

RainfallReynolds
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Paarl gave me trouble both times I played through. He's just a bitch because he moves around so damn much.

Don't use lock-on, break the legs one by one, use a serrated weapon w/ fire paper. Threaded cane in tricked mode is great for this btw.

This discussion has been closed.