As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting started in stained glass.

2»

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Also visible on the paper towel: blood from my hand because I accidentally jabbed myself with a two-inch-long shard I'd trimmed away from one of the larger pieces, and failed my Dex check to pick it up and put it in the scrap glass bin safely.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    For some reason when I first saw the four wing templates laid out I thought "oh wow, he's doing a 3D stained glass ornament!" But I don't even know how that would work.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    For some reason when I first saw the four wing templates laid out I thought "oh wow, he's doing a 3D stained glass ornament!" But I don't even know how that would work.

Lots and lots of solder is my guess :biggrin:

• Options
    ceres wrote: »

@ceres

That's probably something I'll try to tackle next - a real, self-standing 3D piece. I've seen a couple examples at the shop.

The way you make them, as near as I can see, is you make a collection of flat pieces and then glue them together with solder. When doing it, it's important that you make the sides that are being joined as close to perfectly flush and the same size as possible. So, e.g., designs that use three triangles or 5 squares or whatever are easiest, because you can leave the same form on your working table and size everything the same way.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm used to thinking about glassworking entirely differently, and my absolute favorite work is done with a torch and smaller tools. It's hard for me to picture exactly what 3D stained glass would look like, but I imagine something like this more or less:

il_570xN.1190923178_f5vc.jpg

• Options
    Simpler, but fitted slots like that.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @ceres

Yeah - pretty much. I mean, you can go simple, like this:

9r4wql1mai03.png

... which is just 4 triangles and a square (not including the raised base). A little more complicated would be this:

yu81di30c2gf.png

... or ...

e3seycxfnzqw.png

... which are basically what I was talking about above, where each individual panel is the same-ish shape, but are made up of lots of smaller pieces, and they're connected together to make a 3D shape.

Then, of course, there's the super famous Tiffany-style lampshades which are more like a 3D sculpture:

iuhi311t9vca.png

Some of them are pretty, but most of them I think of as being just too ... overwrought.

Then there's stuff like:

3qw8awfky7kk.png

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the lamps, but I love the statue at the bottom. Probably not beginner stuff.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    *cracks knuckles*

there are people who don't like Tiffany lamps huh?

that's a shame

@elvenshae so when can i order my custom lampshade

• Options
    I like some of them, @Shogun ! Like, uh ...

8rk2yehwc4kz.png

But this one is just, like, too much for me:

4174xksia5gg.png

I like my stained glass a little less Baroque. :D

75vaoopncd68.png

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I totally agree many of them are the sort of work that, though it is beautiful and the craftsmanship is unbelievable, where the fuck in your home would you put it?

L-14045_lg.jpg

I like this one but I don't love it. But that craftsmanship. Look at those wings. How the fuck did they do that? The shade is quite big but those pieces are tiny!

L-13911_lg.jpg

This is more my taste. A bit more subdued color-wise yet rich with style.

This is a really great thread.

• Options
    I do like the top one with the indigo flowers, I guess. It's the color though.

I just haven't been able to like Tiffany lamps since I was a kid and we had a budgie that chewed off literally all of the patina.

• Options
    So, it’s been quite awhile since I’ve been able to update this thread.

That doesn’t mean I haven’t been doing stained glass, though!

In fact, I’m finally coming up for air after completing a metric ton of work, including not one but two Christmas “assembly lines,” some sea-glass work, and my first 3D piece. I’m starting a second one tonight at class.

And I’ve got a ... kinda huge ... panel I’m working on, and my sister-in-law put in a commission request for my brother. :)

Once I get all the pictures resized, I’ll put in a more substantial update.

But, uh, succinctly, I’m kinda doing this a lot all of a sudden. If only work could stop having, like, 12-hour days, I’d be all set!

• Options
    I have been looking into glass etching lately, which is very cool and looks easy to do, but it's not a cheap thing to consider. Not four figures, but not cheap. If I do maybe I can post my attempts here.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I saw your G&T Secret Santa gift to ArcSyn, and I wanted to take the chance to say that it is awesome.
    Did you keep in-progress shots of the PyroGX?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I saw your G&T Secret Santa gift to ArcSyn, and I wanted to take the chance to say that it is awesome.

wait where?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Of course! :D I was waiting to post them here until the gift arrived and was posted in that thread. :)

@ceres

Here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38820882/#Comment_38820882

Bonus shots of his kids and the results of my second stained glass assembly line. In-progress pics of those upcoming, as well!

• Options
    Okay I am blown right the fuck away by that PyroGX. I'd love to see a step-by-step of that.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    This is a a fantastic thread.

Thank you, Elvenshae.
    This.
    Just assume any lack of Awesomes from me is because I pushed it twice.

Especially that naughty Celtic piece.