As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I had a thought since they are dumpster diving for ships anymore

Why not just sell cards of pilots and stuff for ships instead?

I really think at this point they'd be best off cutting releases WAY down, but releasing and selling packs of bases and cards for older models... while also rotating out the existing cards and bases.

They can also keep up to date rules and nerfs by doing the card reprints as why would I need to buy more tie fighters when I have 9
    Or why would my brother need another x wing when he has 3

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I have a confession to make.

I haven't played in months. Latest expansion I got was Hired Guns and I still haven't opened or sorted that, or a few others. At this point I think more about using my ships to play HotAC, in conjunction with RPGs, or not at all. I used to play with a close group of friends but since moving to Albuquerque (which has a thriving competitive scene) I haven't been interested.

The other day I even wondered if I should trade my stuff in for Armada or Imperial Assault.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I still haven't opened my silencer, but things have been quiet here with the holidays (the most reliable weekly is shut down over them while staff tend the store).

I really should just update Vassal.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

I haven't played in months. Latest expansion I got was Hired Guns and I still haven't opened or sorted that, or a few others.
    At this point I think more about using my ships to play HotAC, in conjunction with RPGs, or not at all. I used to play with a close group of friends but since moving to Albuquerque (which has a thriving competitive scene) I haven't been interested.

The other day I even wondered if I should trade my stuff in for Armada or Imperial Assault.

Same

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't played much either, but this year was dominated by remodeling a house, moving, and fixing up the old house to get it ready to sell. Just got a TIE Punisher and the Imperial Aces box from Elvenshae for secret Santa though and I really want to play more once this remodel is done. Need to teach my boys so I can play at home and then organize a night for friends.

4dm3dwuxq302.png

I haven't played in months. Latest expansion I got was Hired Guns and I still haven't opened or sorted that, or a few others. At this point I think more about using my ships to play HotAC, in conjunction with RPGs, or not at all. I used to play with a close group of friends but since moving to Albuquerque (which has a thriving competitive scene) I haven't been interested.

People play X wing here? I knew they did but it has a thriving competitive scene in the ABQ?

Brainleech wrote: »

People play X wing here? I knew they did but it has a thriving competitive scene in the ABQ?

Namely at Active Imagination, I had a buddy that would do tournaments or regular play there all the time, which taught him to beat my ass most of the time. The Facebook group is pretty lively for the most part. I live on the west side and I'm not super competitive so I haven't played there yet.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    I too live on the West Side and rarely cross the river because of another problem I rarely leave a certain 5 mile area

Still the more I make fun of how FFG should start printing cards with pilot and equipment with changes instead of dumpster diving for ships a lot of people have picked it up

I only said it on twitter making fun of the last batch

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The main complaint I’ve heard is that the game has become one of maximizing synergy with your actions instead of one about anticipating opponents maneuvers.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited December 2017
    I think I disagree with that. You can have the best action economy/synergy, but you're not going to win anything if you never have a shot on your opponent.

crimsoncoyote on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I had a small group of friends I played with when I was living in Vegas, but since moving to NC I haven't played either. It's a hugely competitive scene in Raleigh with multiple stores running local tournaments, and I've made a few friends who play competitively who have these opinions. Not to say that they're right: just to say where I got that opinion from. I personally feel a bit overwhelmed at the sheer number of combinations. Especially since all I really want to do is fly a few X-Wings against a few Tie Fighters. I haven't been able to break into the local scene myself because I work on the main free-play days.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I think I disagree with that. You can have the best action economy/synergy, but you're not going to win anything if you never have a shot on your opponent.

Turrets being the issue there.

Polaritie wrote: »

Turrets being the issue there.

True, but turret platforms generally don't have crazy action economy.

I went to a tournament today for the first time in ages (been craaazy busy. Haven't played a game since October, and before that was the first weekend in September). I managed to place third!

I flew Guri, Dalan (Star Viper), and Talonbane Cobra. I'll try to give a short recap when I have a chance.

K4 Expertise Dengar never seemed to be hurting for actions to me.

My main point is that many players tend to be hyperbolic about nerfs/things they dislike. Any time a new faq or a new wave comes out, it's the end of the world for X, but there's still room for a lot of diverse lists.

In my experience, when someone says "the game isn't about X tactic any more", they have had issues getting that tactic to work recently and tend to write it off completely.

The comment about maximizing action synergy vs. anticipating opponent maneuvers specifically strikes me as odd (and possibly a knee-jerk reaction) as they are not mutually exclusive things.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Played some Heroes of the Arturi Cluster today with my buddy. It was so nice we were able to play outside! Also his 5 year old boy is going to start playing with us. He doesn't get all the rules yet but he loves shooting tie fighters and is good at rolling dice.

mlsir20b065d.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I really think Aturi Cluster is the safe shelter of X-Wing when I don't like new waves or want to think about meta. That should probably tell me something about the game or, at the very least, about myself.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    That is the direction I would like to see the game go
    More missions and scenarios. More pilots and equipment for ships

Instead of dumpster diving for ships

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I find it really weird they haven't done official campaigns for this game.

Even Armada has one.

The thing is, I say these things but I don't think I've actually played any of the official scenarios since wave two. I still haven't even played the epic mini campaigns for those ships that I have.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I find it really weird they haven't done official campaigns for this game.

Even Armada has one.

My cynical response is that campaigns are what they do when a game is faltering and they need an injection of sales to keep it going, and X-Wing has never had sales problems.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I just took a Tie Punisher list to league night and won all my games with it.

What

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I just took a Tie Punisher list to league night and won all my games with it.

What

Tell us more!

Deathrain?

I went 2-1 Wednesday with two gunboats and him. List needs work but its good at not giving up points.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oooooh.

I wonder if there're going to be some juicy T-65 upgrades in there ...

edited February 2018
    From what I can make out, there's a flippable S-Foils card. There's at least a boost and a tallon roll listed on the card.

The X-Wing pilot card on the top looks like it says:
    after you perform a boost or barrel roll action, you may flip your equipped "Servomotor s-foils" upgrade card

The upgrade card that starts with "Rene" ("Renegade Rebel"? Would be fitting as part of Saw's crew) also looks like it's T-65 X-Wing only. Seems like it may allow you to equip additional Modifications?

crimsoncoyote on
    I hope this is good.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yuuuuuup this is the X-wing fix.
    From what I can make out, there's a flippable S-Foils card. There's at least a boost and a tallon roll listed on the card.

The X-Wing pilot card on the top looks like it says:
    after you perform a boost or barrel roll action, you may flip your equipped "Servomotor s-foils" upgrade card

The upgrade card that starts with "Rene" ("Renegade Rebel"? Would be fitting as part of Saw's crew) also looks like it's T-65 X-Wing only. Seems like it may allow you to equip additional Modifications?

Its probably Renegade Refit. Its a T-65 xwing only title that allows you to equip [_______] modifications. So ... at LEAST 2 so you can put the S-foil modification on there.

IWBRLjC.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am excited about the possibility of finally being able to field a credible Wedge list

Shorty wrote: »
    I am excited about the possibility of finally being able to field a credible Wedge list

As I said repeatedly before I feel printing more pilot cards and doing missions/campaigns is the direction the game should go instead of dumpster diving for ships

I might get Saw’s Renegades Expansion Pack but not the Tie Reaper
    Save the dream is far more ominous for the game than just the accouncement for more ships

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Are there more ships in the new movie? Unfortunately I was unable to watch it and have a blackout of information till it comes out on home video. I know that the TIE Reaper is at least a new model from Rogue One and not a reprint.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I don't think so. The skim vehicles are ground based. We already got the tie striker and resistance bomber. Unless they give us the transport Finn and rose use.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Are there more ships in the new movie? Unfortunately I was unable to watch it and have a blackout of information till it comes out on home video. I know that the TIE Reaper is at least a new model from Rogue One and not a reprint.

Which new movie?
    The Last Jedi has already shown off its new ships in the Bombers and TIE Silencer that FFG has already released. It's possible the A-wing was different enough from the classic design to get a new release.
    TIE Reaper, like you said, is Rogue 1 which also got us the U-wing.

Solo is coming out soon too
    Judging by the trailer, there's a new model TIE where it's got a pod between the cockpit and the right wing panel, as well as a new look for the Falcon where it comes to a point in front instead of having mandibles.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see both of those showing up in a future wave.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    five ps1 x-wings

it's finally possible... maybe i should buy back into this game like i keep saying i will

also lmao at the size difference between the U-wing and the tie reaper, which of course is a small base ship

Daypigeon on
    edited February 2018
    Krennic seems dumb. Uh, does he work with TLT?

Edit: Duh, primary. TIE/sf it is.

Polaritie on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I just found out about harpoon missiles

they are at the very absolute least mathematically the same as concussion missiles, except they also screw over swarm lists

....that's pretty good!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I don't think so. The skim vehicles are ground based. We already got the tie striker and resistance bomber. Unless they give us the transport Finn and rose use.

Oh bummer. You are right, I forgot they already brought out the Silencer and Bombers from TLJ.
    see317 wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

Which new movie?
    The Last Jedi has already shown off its new ships in the Bombers and TIE Silencer that FFG has already released. It's possible the A-wing was different enough from the classic design to get a new release.
    TIE Reaper, like you said, is Rogue 1 which also got us the U-wing.

Solo is coming out soon too
    Judging by the trailer, there's a new model TIE where it's got a pod between the cockpit and the right wing panel, as well as a new look for the Falcon where it comes to a point in front instead of having mandibles.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see both of those showing up in a future wave.

Yeah I completely forgot FFG already brought those out. Somehow I blocked that from my memory.
    Ok, so I wasn't the only one who spotted the Falcon without mandibles... Here I was hoping it was a mistake.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    hmm, the scum falcon is definitely hidden release #3 for this wave, right