As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: RIGHT BUMPER IS THE MAKO CANNON LERN 2 REED

• Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bakatrinh wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I tried looking on the bottom left box and couldn't make out if there were numbers, some of the fonts in this game are really small. One more question, when I hack something (that simon says mini game) do I get unlimited tries if I fail? After I messed up the first time, I can't press A to retry it.

Just adding a bit to the answers you've already received.

Don't get too caught up in trying to figure everything out right off the bat, because all the information you seek certainly isn't in the instruction manual nor available in-game via tutorials. There's a lot going on in this game and it takes a while to get comfortable with everything from the U.I. to combat to inventory management. You'll eventually settle into a zone once you get a few hours under your belt and everything will click, then you'll really start having fun with Mass Effect (especially the combat--it's a blast when you really get a good feel for it). On the plus side, there are enough side quests and areas to explore to give you plenty of time to get comfortable without even touching most of the main quest.

Even after that, you'll be picking up on little things here and there--just the other night I figured out that when a character's health bar starts flashing green, it means that character has been poisoned/irradiated which, y'know, is a good thing to know since that shit sucks.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007
    i'm disappointed that most of the planets are like 'BRRP BRRP YOU CAN'T LAND HERE SUCKER'

bongi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    i'm disappointed that most of the planets are like 'BRRP BRRP YOU CAN'T LAND HERE SUCKER'

I don't mind the planets so much, since that's probably realistic for a lot of star systems. Gas giants aren't feasible, Vesuvian rocks close to stars are too hot, and a lot of worlds wouldn't be hospitable enough due to atmospheric pressures, radiation, molten surfaces, acid rain, etc. But what would have been cool is if, in addition to one planet to land on in each system, we had a couple of moons and asteroid or comet mining colonies. Orbital platforms, even small ones, would be keen as well.

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

I don't mind the planets so much, since that's probably realistic for a lot of star systems. Gas giants aren't feasible, Vesuvian rocks close to stars are too hot, and a lot of worlds wouldn't be hospitable enough due to atmospheric pressures, radiation, molten surfaces, acid rain, etc. But what would have been cool is if, in addition to one planet to land on in each system, we had a couple of moons and asteroid or comet mining colonies. Orbital platforms, even small ones, would be keen as well.

Hell yeah, I wanna go hang out with belters.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Hell yeah, I wanna go murder some belters.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'm still a bit disappointed that we never got to see a sci-fi mainstaple: the space station about to selfdestruct. It would have been pretty neat to have to fight your way through a enemy infested station as you are making your way back to the Normandy, before the countdown hits 00:00.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

I'm still a bit disappointed that we never got to see a sci-fi mainstaple: the space station about to selfdestruct. It would have been pretty neat to have to fight your way through a enemy infested station as you are making your way back to the Normandy, before the countdown hits 00:00.

You had a derelict ship that had that same mechanic though.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I wish Bioware had just given us more setpieces instead of generic and ultimately worthless cookie-cutter planets with shitty sidequests. I would rather have the KOTOR system back.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

There's a sidequest where you're on a ship that's about to self-destruct - and you have to fight Rachni on the way out. That's good enough for me.

Edit: Hey, stranger678? Fuck you.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Hell yeah, I wanna go murder some belters.

Psh, it's why I chose 'spacer' for my first run-through. It's all about hangin' out in space, mining asteroids, and having some crazy hairstyle (thanks Larry Niven).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You had a derelict ship that had that same mechanic though.
    Really? Guess it's one mission I've missed then. Where can I find it?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007
    also unless i am not understanding it properly, which is possible, the squad ai and order mechanics are crap

'oh hey durp my names garrus i'll just stand here in the open. oh man i am being shot with a rocket. i guess i could take cover behind the rock i'm standing next to. but no, that would be too much ef-BANG'

bongi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    also unless i am not understanding it properly, which is possible, the squad ai and order mechanics are crap

'oh hey durp my names garrus i'll just stand here in the open. oh man i am being shot with a rocket. i guess i could take cover behind the rock i'm standing next to. but no, that would be too much ef-BANG'
    The problem is that you give orders for both of your squadmates, which makes for some frustrating moments if the cover that you order them to is too small for two people. Wrex in particular has a lot of problem with this, due to his large frame.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007
    i am fighting this geth armature

i hit the take cover button

garrus just stands there, he does nothing at all

despite the fact that there are like five or six billion crates and over bits of cover more or less right next to him

bongi on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just realized who Wrex reminds me of, in terms of being designed to be as badassed-cool and appealing as possible:

20071107.jpg

gilrain on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tell him where to go (up) instead of making him figure it out himself (down)

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007

i guess, but it's still a pain in the ass to find cover for them, order them to boost their shields so they don't die instantly, and get to cover myself

bongi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I do that as well, but it's annoying as fuck when I order my squadmates to take cover at a place that only have space for one. This usually ends up with one squadmember taking cover while the second decides to make a heroic last stand, that last for approximatly 3 seconds before getting cut down.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ...Can honeslty say I've never had that much of a problem. Cover has always been a rather optional thing for me as far as teammates are concerned. They do more damage out in the open anyway, and draw people out for me to snipe.

You doing an Lv. 1 Insanity run or something?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ...Can honeslty say I've never had that much of a problem. Cover has always been a rather optional thing for me as far as teammates are concerned. They do more damage out in the open anyway, and draw people out for me to snipe.

I've tried it out but my complaints is mostly nitpicks since I think that the current squad order mechanics is pretty lacklustre as they stand right now.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I've tried it out but my complaints is mostly nitpicks since I think that the current squad order mechanics is pretty lacklustre as they stand right now.
    I agree.

On the other hand, has anyone ever implemented a general "take cover" order? I know in R6:Vegas, you can order them to take cover in a particular place (like Mass Effect's "up" order"), but nothing more general.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Since it's an armature and you're not in the Mako, I'm assuming
    It's that big drop ambush at Liara's dig site. If so, yeah, that fight is a pain in the ass because you're taking heavy fire from the armature as soon as the cut scene ends, plus all those little hoppers are jumping around, punching holes in your line. It took me about half a dozen tries to finish that little slice of hell.

I gave up early in the game on consistently letting my squad find their own cover. I'll usually have everybody pull back with a move command if shit gets too intense. Of course, in the spoiler above, there wasn't really a spot to pull back to--you have to tough that one out.

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2007
    they should just do it like every other game, and have it so that when you send them to cover they automatically take cover

bongi on
  • Options
    SaskwachSaskwach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    they should just do it like every other game, and have it so that when you send them to cover they automatically take cover

True. Why the hell don't teammates have basic self-preservation instincts in this game? It wouldn't have been hard to code.
    If health<50%
    Then Hide in Cover Shepard Just Told You To Go To Until Your Shields Are Back You Douche
    Else Don't Stand There Like An Idiot
    As you can tell, programming is my forte.

Saskwach on
  • Options
    HaximHaxim Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Wrex, Garrius, go check out what's around the corner there. I need to uhhh, check out what's behind this box here.

Also, Assault Rifle Adept is so much fun. There's nothing quite like lifting a pack of people into the air and gunning them all down before they hit the floor. Well, biotics are fun period,. My first run I went Soldier, and took Ashley and Tali, so I kind of missed out on a large chunk of the combat.

Haxim on
    Haxim.gif
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Since it's an armature and you're not in the Mako, I'm assuming
    It's that big drop ambush at Liara's dig site. If so, yeah, that fight is a pain in the ass because you're taking heavy fire from the armature as soon as the cut scene ends, plus all those little hoppers are jumping around, punching holes in your line. It took me about half a dozen tries to finish that little slice of hell.

I gave up early in the game on consistently letting my squad find their own cover. I'll usually have everybody pull back with a move command if shit gets too intense. Of course, in the spoiler above, there wasn't really a spot to pull back to--you have to tough that one out.

That section is easy.
    Before the cut scene, tell your two party members to hide on the side of the building and wait for them to get there. Then walk up and initiate the scene, since you don't go far away and it doesn't initiate an "interactive" event, as soon as it's over they will be behind it. After that, you just boogie your ass around to the far side and take out the smaller geth out of sight of the armature. Once they are done you can go in through the shed thing and kill the armature through the slats. You should only ever take hits from a few hoppers and shock troopers, and maybe the sniper after the armature is dead and you go in for clean up. You should never die on that part with this strategy.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone know if you can spam all the tech skills on the Mako? Like AI Hacking, etc.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would like to know where I can find the sidequest to
    escape the freighter with the Rachni.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wow kaiden at lvl 55 is a beast. Lift on a geth armature - yes please.

King Nada on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    King Nada wrote: »
    wow kaiden at lvl 55 is a beast. Lift on a geth armature - yes please.

Kaiden and Liara are great on the last level.
    Everyone just goes flying out into space; instant death.

Invisible on
  • Options
    HaximHaxim Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can spam all the tech skills on the Mako? Like AI Hacking, etc.

I think everything BUT AI hacking can be used on the Mako...

Haxim on
    Haxim.gif
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would like to know where I can find the sidequest to
    escape the freighter with the Rachni.
    after you complete Noveria, Styx Theta should show up as a system you can visit. Go do the ground missions there (I think it's best if you start with the system on the left (don't remember the name). It'll chain into tracking down a hidden space base.

You might get to it just by doing the mission on the ground in the system on the right in Styx Theta, but I'm not sure. I've only ever done it my way, as it seems to be way that makes sense with the storylines presented.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Quick non-gameplay/plot related question:

I'm about 30 minutes in and have noticed that there is a grainy filter over everything. Is this supposed to be there?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes. Film grain is an option you can turn off.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Quick non-gameplay/plot related question:

I'm about 30 minutes in and have noticed that there is a grainy filter over everything. Is this supposed to be there?

Yes. You can turn it off in the options if you want.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes it's the 'film grain' you can turn it off if you don't like it, I didn't either.

Can the AI hack computers anymore? I'm missing alot of stuff because my haxing skills aren't up to snuff.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes it's the 'film grain' you can turn it off if you don't like it, I didn't either.

Can the AI hack computers anymore? I'm missing alot of stuff because my haxing skills aren't up to snuff.

Whenever you hack a container or door, the game automatically uses the highest skill currently in your party. So even if you don't have the required skills, it's always worth it to bring someone with you that does.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh.

Well shit I need to go back to all of those crashed probes I missed now.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried using TAli in my squad but I was still unable to hack the probes my first playthrough. This time it appears to be working properly.

Big Classy on
This discussion has been closed.