As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't be afraid to catch feelings [love thread]

19495969798100»

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    to me in this context it still feels trivializing of the religious and cultural aspects of a minority

but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In my NA roots (Iroquois), it's more "guardian spirit" which can come from anything and everything. Rocks, trees, animals, nature itself. It's cool enough to learn about. Unfortunately I don't live on the reservation and I'm only tacitly involved with the culture at large since most of my family doesn't really see themselves as NAs anymore. The US's governments plans to erase our culture worked a little too well I think. In my case we're slightly more white than NA so that weighs a bit more I think on us (also I look white so I get all the benefits of being white too). The Iroquois just opened a "Great Law of Peace" center in my area and I've been meaning to check it out but haven't gotten around to it.

It's funny though whenever this topic comes up, we're not really ever upset by things like Redmen or spirit animals. It's a point of contention that a lot of people like to think we're upset with, but whenever I have talked with NAs from my family or from the tribe(s) at large it's almost always "when white people speak for us" that really gets them going. (I'm not upset with you at all here, I don't even know if you're white or another NA tribe).

I was mostly upset when my school changed from redmen to whatever the fuck it is now, redhawks or whatever. Felt cool to be part of that pride.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I think a lot of people forget that the indigenous community is, in fact, extremely diverse with thousands of different takes and feelings on certain subjects.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I ate too much food over the last two weeks and I gained some weight and now I feel awful. It'll take a month or more to lose it because my body is an inefficient piece of lukewarm garbage that thinks I'm in a fucking ice age and need to conserve ALL THE FAT

I hate the holidays.

Juggernut on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Drink tea until you can feel nothing but the warm, golden embrace.

Are you telling him to pee on himself?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Just say fursona it's more accurate to the modern usage anyway.

Juggernut wrote: »
    I ate too much food over the last two weeks and I gained some weight and now I feel awful. It'll take a month or more to lose it because my body is an inefficient piece of lukewarm garbage that thinks I'm in a fucking ice age and need to conserve ALL THE FAT

I hate the holidays.

It's weird too, right now after I got back I am just famished and want to eat an entire cow

When I was down south even though it was still pretty cold (40-50degF) I was never really hungry like this.

But right now all I can think of is eating a big hot plate of spaghetti.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    :(

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Day 33 of the break.

Half my brain wants to work on self improvement and the other half is working on a strategy for sticking the landing in a few months. The good news is, I am pretty confident that ratio is improving in favor of self improvement. I'm also way more optimistic about the endgame scenarios than I was three weeks ago, even if the break has moved into a phase in which we're actively avoiding communication unless it's necessary and we're even on hiatus in our FB relationship status. I think making that much space is a necessary step even if doing so has been hard.

And even if things don't pan out at least I'm making steps to be a better person coming out of it.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I think a lot of people forget that the indigenous community is, in fact, extremely diverse with thousands of different takes and feelings on certain subjects.

Yeah like

It's cool and good that Bowen's okay with it

But I've seen other indigenous folks on the forum say they aren't, so I tend to just find other ways to voice that thought instead

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Cello wrote: »

Yeah like

But I've seen other indigenous folks on the forum say they aren't, so I tend to just find other ways to voice that thought instead

I'm more concerned with not being able to reference my own culture directly.

We can find plenty of people that find many of the topics we talk about on this forum offensive just by heading over to a conservative forum, but that doesn't and shouldn't immediately dismiss a real live person going "I'm okay with talking about my own culture like this."

The fursona thing up above would probably be offensive to someone who takes part in that culture when someone who doesn't appropriates it just as well. And to others, it probably wouldn't.

It's also just a turn of phrase anyways. Words are boring if we just post things like "I like your dog and wish to be like him right this instant" which is a true statement, if otherwise dull and dry. Much too robotic.

Anyways, it feels dumb to have a bunch of white folks decide for everyone around what should be offensive.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Yeah like

I mean, I think it's a really complex thing! I'm not about to tell someone who comes from that background "no you should feel offended about that." At the same time, @Poorochondriac has spoken about how this kind of thing is offensive, and I understand his stance deeply, but I also think Bowen is making an important point. My thing was more just that the indigenous community is so diverse that it's not surprising that some might feel differently about the way language is used.

To me, spirit animals is less of an issue to me than white people wearing ceremonial headdress as a Halloween costume. That's something I've seen quite a bit and is FAR more offensive.

Or like, I was at a football game for my old high school and whenever one certain player made a huge play for my team a bunch of people (mostly kids) from the school would do that thing where you make noise and clap the hand over your mouth to mimic a tribal call and that kinda pissed me off.

This discussion has been closed.