As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Once before bed, get those entries in before 10AM Eastern.
    übergeek wrote:
    Christmas comes late this year! I have somewhere between 60-80 games and DLC to give away to all you guys this year instead of one big giveaway.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

G&T members only. Practically everything will be non region restricted (the restricted stuff seems to be non Steam anyway). If you see something that you know someone will like, be sure to throw them a message and tell them to enter (I usually did this, but there's just too much stuff). Other than hopefully getting 5 entries on everything for the pittance of CV they return, don't feel bad if no one enters something at all, I'll just have to release it to the whole of Steamgifts later on after all of you have first pick of everything.

This will take some time to go through since I can only make 6 giveaways right now so I'm doing 5 at a time to hold one in reserve.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Hah, I was not wrong in my initial assessment of @Drake Chambers's character:

2e1d49ncfkze.png

Thanks for Duskers!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Whoa! @Drake Chambers hit me with Wolfenstein: The Old Blood while I was playing Wolfenstein II! That's some sort of Wolfy inception right there! Anyway, thanks! Can't wait to circle back around to it after I finish up Wolfy 2. Thanks again!

XmsjRFV.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I'm not against the Discovery Queue, but I feel like 5 games or even 3 would have been a lot more reasonable than 10, especially if they're going to tie cards to it every time. I'd spend more time looking at each title if I weren't going through 30 of them every day for a week.

Steam has no clue about what to recommend me. Every queue goes from RTS to online RPG to visual novel to flight simulator to old star wars games and back again. It has no fucking idea.

I wish I could just tell you what I like. Metroidvania, turn-based tactical strategy, twin-stick shooters and maybe some FPS. That covers most bases, Steam. Stick to those please to save everyone a bit of time and effort

Edit: Even now it's first recommendation is Lego Batman 3.
    - I haven't played a Lego game in years.
    - You know I only played that one Lego game for about 15 minutes before not returning
    - I haven't played a Batman game in years
    - I haven't played some Batman games i already own for years

Just stop, Steam. Stop.

I'm pretty sure Steam's recommendations take into account games your Steam friends have. That means if you're friends with people in this thread, you're going to get a very very odd mix of recommendations.

So you're saying I need to gift more people games I enjoy? Copy that

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I got Detention just off someone's post!

See what you people are doing?!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Haha I have the second highest rated screenshot for Thief Gold on the Steam community page for it! :lol:

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Another day another punishment poll

Karoz's Krampus Punishment Poll

Two have come out ahead but only by a hair. Still RNGesus may be summoned to be the deciding vote for who goes first.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    @LD50 caught me off guard with a friend request.

Seconds later got this!

ollMT4U.jpg

Thanks so much!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Heatwave retaliated. What a traitor. You're not supposed to gift back!

90y6pvkbaepe.png

LD50 on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Haha I have the second highest rated screenshot for Thief Gold on the Steam community page for it! :lol:

I probably should've linked it!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101603511

The fix works too so I might just dive back into it!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Well that's the first round of giveaways done.

Veevee, LD50, Treadlife, GearGirl, and Nairagorn(Fleeb) are our winners. Keys are sent and the next round starts as soon as they claim them. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Thank you for Garry's Mod @übergeek !

I'm regifting it to my kid he'll love it!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    @HiT BiT is trying to tell me something.

Something about Getting Over It ... with Bennett Foddy.

Thank you. (I reserve the right to rescind my thanks if the game is as frustrating to me as it is to other people on the internet)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    belated merry xmas, Steam thread.
    2pHadWYm.png?1

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    @übergeek thanks for Gunpoint!

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @maguano you crazy magnificent person. <3 That puts us up to $2942.28 total! Blowing past all but the last incentive, and putting us within spitting distance of that one at $3000.

If you are interested in keeping up with the amounts, incentives, etc. our spreadsheet is located here

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Oh, I also knocked Back to Bed off the backlog last night. Think I'll take a run at beating Lowglow today.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Holy

Fuck

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So I have a question for all you fine folk who donate.

I got an e-mail from PayPal the other day which said that they would do a somewhat match for donations and Child's Play is on the list. They do mention in the fine print that there is a delay in the donation and if PP can't donate (something like this, not sure if this was the exact wording) that they'll donate to a similar charity. So has anybody tried this before and did it work? I'd love to donate and have PP match 1% and wave fees just because they promise to match. But if it messes up and my donations do not go to CP I'd just donate directly.

Edit: I just want to mention that my amount is not a huge amount.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Maguano wrote: »
    belated merry xmas, Steam thread.
    2pHadWYm.png?1
    CorriganX

Oh god dammit...*ahem* I mean, well done Maguno. Very classy of you.

Guess I need to start working on those Hard Mode Krampus Polls now. :razz:

Karoz on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    Awesome thanks for the response! The larger surface area was exactly why I was looking at them so I can lower my DPI for things like PUBG. And was looking more at mechanical for my next keyboard so guessing I'll have to look at something like a razer.

I have a Logitech mechanical (G710+ iirc) and it's a pretty good gaming keyboard. I don't know exactly what features you're looking for, but this one does everything I'd want a gaming keyboard to do.

I'm honestly not sure, something reliable and I liked the feel of the mechanical keys compared to the squishiness of my current keyboard. I don't really care about that RGB lighting stuff, but I will probably have to try out a few as I don't know all the differences of "black" vs "blue" etc. That Logitech one looks pretty sweet though so I'll see if somewhere local has it.

Edit: anyway sorry for the thread hijack, how about that steam? I hear it might have a sale on..

There are some guides on the different types of mechanical keyboard switches out there. They basically change properties of how a key behaves when you press it. For example, the Cherry MX blue switch is the one most people think of when they talk about mechanical keyboards. Those make the clicky sound and only need light pressure to register a key stroke and will do so well before you fully depress the key. The other really common one is the brown switch and its clones which are also pretty light in terms of pressure but will not have the clicky sound. If you're not looking at a maker that makes keyboards and only keyboards, those two types are going to be the ones you're choosing between. Reds, blacks, clears, greens, etc are generally much more focused.

The keyboard thread in the Tech/Hardware section has more info. Also, the red switch tends to be the most common when you go hunting for FPS/gaming keyboards. I can probably PM you some Logitech kb deals if you're in or near the US.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I have a question for all you fine folk who donate.

I got an e-mail from PayPal the other day which said that they would do a somewhat match for donations and Child's Play is on the list. They do mention in the fine print that there is a delay in the donation and if PP can't donate (something like this, not sure if this was the exact wording) that they'll donate to a similar charity. So has anybody tried this before and did it work? I'd love to donate and have PP match 1% and wave fees just because they promise to match. But if it messes up and my donations do not go to CP I'd just donate directly.

Edit: I just want to mention that my amount is not a huge amount.

Any amount, no matter how small, should be celebrated. It's not about showing off wealth, but helping the kids. It's just great for all the people willing to chip in!

Unfortunately I can't answer your question on PP matching donations as I haven't done it before.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Woohoo - Typing of the Dead: Overkill is now officially crossed off my backlog! Have some extra time this week for gaming so I'm going to try and beat a few games that have been hanging out for their quite some time, including the last of the Fallout 3 DLC, Alien: Isolation and the original Deus Ex.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Woohoo - Typing of the Dead: Overkill is now officially crossed off my backlog! Have some extra time this week for gaming so I'm going to try and beat a few games that have been hanging out for their quite some time, including the last of the Fallout 3 DLC, Alien: Isolation and the original Deus Ex.

Play Alien! Shit your pants!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie and anyone else picking up Call of Pripyat, check out this super mod for it which combines all 3 STALKER games into one super game moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I spent a fair amount of time yesterday deciding if I should play the rest of Risen or not, and decided to move on to other games (including Risen 2), but first, I started booting up the rest of the games on my short list for "games I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy. I retired Garshasp, Hitman, Our Darker Purpose, Space Hack, and Two Brothers. Most of them had a combination of issues running, poor controls, and one supposedly has a full remake upcoming (Two Brothers, though the dev's mother just recently passed in October, so I'm not expecting it any time soon).

It felt good to clear some games off the backlog that I had been suspecting wouldn't really jive with me for a variety of reasons. A fair amount of them landed between release years of 2000 and 2005, which are the games I'll be trying to get through for next month (resolution time!). It leaves about 10 games at the moment, a few of which I'm already playing and having fun with; Pirates!, Jedi Outcast, and thus far Dungeon Siege II (which feels thus far a bit more refined than Dungeon Siege itself, but we'll see) have all been pretty fun.

It's becoming easier and easier for me to stop playing a game that's just not my jam with no guilt attached, and that feels good. It's also illuminating to me just what I like or don't like, so I can further modify my wishlist. I feel like I'm finally starting to relearn what games I actually like, and that feels good.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »

Play Alien! Shit your pants!

I actually have started that up a few times late at night, played for 15 minutes and then noped the outta there.

sig.gif

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Anyone doing the Trading Card game this year? Looking for some folks to swap with.

Currently have extras of:

Labor of Love (1 extra)
    Suspension of Disbelief (2 extras)

Need:

Choices Matter (#1)
    The World is Grim Enough (#5)
    No Apologies (#6)
    Cry Havoc (#8)
    Haunts My Dreams (#9)
    Whoooaaaa, Dude! (#11)
    Even Better Than I Expected (#12)

Steam name is the same as my forum name in case we're not friends yet.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ...is Two Brothers different from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons?

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    It's becoming easier and easier for me to stop playing a game that's just not my jam with no guilt attached, and that feels good. It's also illuminating to me just what I like or don't like, so I can further modify my wishlist. I feel like I'm finally starting to relearn what games I actually like, and that feels good.

That can be surprisingly hard to figure out. There's a lot of games where I like the idea of and that have gotten good reviews, other people going "everybody's gotta play this, it's great!" but when I try them out I get 2-3 hours in and just lose all the will to continue. It can be difficult to accept that some games just aren't for me.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    ...is Two Brothers different from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons?

Yes.

Confusing, isn't it? Two brothers is an homage to the era of Game Boy/old Nintendo action adventure games, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is an adventure game closer to a puzzle platformer in which each stick on the controller represents a different brother's movements.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

That can be surprisingly hard to figure out. There's a lot of games where I like the idea of and that have gotten good reviews, other people going "everybody's gotta play this, it's great!" but when I try them out I get 2-3 hours in and just lose all the will to continue. It can be difficult to accept that some games just aren't for me.

Also sometimes it's just mood. Rather than force myself to soldier on in a game I enjoyed a couple days ago but am not enjoying now, it's better to set it aside until I'm back in the mood to play it. This way when I do come back it's with enjoyment rather than potential burnout.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Mag is fucking crazy.

Holy hell, good on you mate.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    With a rush of holiday cheer, the Krampus gives a laugh of contemptuous glee as it puts aside the Backlog whip and scoops Karoz into the Bag of Retired Games. Here lies games that were retired from the backlog without knowing love nor completion. They were discarded due to reasons ranging from simply being not as good as other games to being outright frustrating to Karoz. He thought he was safe from them, banished as they were from him backlog. Now two are chosen that must be completed before all others.*

Karoz's Hard Mode Krampus Punishment Poll (multiple answers can be selected)

But in this dark void of banished games, the brazen, green-sale-spewing hell of Steam awaits. Karoz's wallet is levitated before his eyes as $15 is pulled out and sacrificed into the gaping maw of Steam--with another $25 being nearly tugged free.

Karoz's ULTRA Hard Mode Krampus Punishment Survey (google docs with just comments but appropriate games will be added, all welcome)

Figured it would be the worse to have to do retired backlog before new games since they would temporarily add to my backlog which is THE WORST

Edit: Reminder for Karoz's (Normal) Krampus Punishment Poll

The Queen is Dead (by 1 point), Long live the Queen.

Karoz on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I beat Prey!

I am going to go back and beat Prey again because it's such an incredible game!

This game is parts of Deus Ex and System Shock and Dishonored all mixed together and if that sounds incredible that's because it is!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    j0r6i9a0l1ia.jpg

I don't know how I feel about this logic. On the other hand... boobs.

Thanks @Jragghen for King of Bali! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I beat Prey!

This game is parts of Deus Ex and System Shock and Dishonored all mixed together and if that sounds incredible that's because it is!

I *love* Prey. It's really what I wanted from a System Shock sequel in terms of atmosphere, level design and writing. So good. (A proper SS sequel would obv play a bit differently in my mind).
    I don't understand why people are so superdown on the ending. It didn't end with a bang, but I thought it was neat

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I beat Prey!

I *love* Prey. It's really what I wanted from a System Shock sequel in terms of atmosphere, level design and writing. So good. (A proper SS sequel would obv play a bit differently in my mind).
    I don't understand why people are so superdown on the ending. It didn't end with a bang, but I thought it was neat

I liked the ending too!

I mean, much of the main story was just "fetch quest this please" but the framing was to allow you to explore the incredibly-realized physical spaces of Talos I.

• Options
    I beat Prey!

I liked the ending too!

I mean, much of the main story was just "fetch quest this please" but the framing was to allow you to explore the incredibly-realized physical spaces of Talos I.

I was okay with that because I felt like most of the side characters were actually compelling and interesting. Mikhaila, Danielle, Luka...there's so much good stuff there

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.