As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cthulhu Wars - Game 3 - Tcho-Tcho victory on turn 3!

191011121315»

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Reading the rules and a question about the Doom Phase. Does sleeper's snakemen return to him after his actions in the doom phase or just at the end of the doom phase for everyone?
    this would affect people after sleeper putting up power for a ritual of annihilation and and having to deal with giving both of them doom points for it..

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    Generally during his action, the exception is with Sycophancy. In that one case it returns at the end of the Doom phase.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK0xf7RExk

Direction goes in Crawling Chaos's direction. Awaiting other power shennanigans that might tip who's first.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    No shenanigans from me!

• Options
    mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Well, that's disappointing (going from first to second-to-last in turn order) and delightful (woo, new spellbook!). So, for my last spellbook I'll take Berserkergang, and @ArcSyn for 3 Elder Signs. Assuming I'm reading correctly.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Options
    it wasn't anything personal, mindflare. I picked that direction initially because I was hoping that snakemen doom shenanigans would have been lifted as soon as possible, so that if people decided to not give the tcho tcho points they'd not be dragged by sleeper as well, but that's not happening.

I'm also blown away that sleeper can pick as many faction abilities as snakemen he has.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    It's situational. 7 other faction abilities to choose from help. All factions have things like that, especially Crawling Chaos.

• Options
    I think the surprise is that Sleeper doesn't have to just pick 1 out of all available, but instead can take 3.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    He loses board presence and Cultist protection by doing so. It's all part of Sleeper's charm. Again, I think every faction has something going for them that's like, "you can do what now?"

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Since I doubt that Tcho tcho will sacrifice his HPs, I'll continue along now.

Oh my god, sycophancy is *cancer*. I'll be the big man on campus and sit in the damn tar first. No more free doom points for those two, people. They are already sitting at a possible win this turn, especially Tcho tcho if he has a few 2's in his elder sign pocket.

Ritual of Annihilation. Spend 7 power. No doom for Sleeper or Tcho. I get 1 doom and 2 elder signs for Consecration. (@ArcSyn for 2 elder signs)
    Dematerialize 2 Yothan, 1 cultist, 1 unman, 1 dimensional shambler, and 1 reanimated from Indian Ocean. Rematerialize in the Yukon.

Not buying any other neutral beasts.

17->10
    @Brody for CC.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Pass

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    @Mordenthral for Doom Phase.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    I’m not giving up that much Power just to get an Elder Sign. Cheaper for me to re-awaken Cthulhu, haha.

No Ritual.

@Daemonis

• Options
    @Daemonis for Ritual and stuff.

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Return my Serpent Men to North and Central America. Death from Below a Serpent Man to North America. Dematerialize Goo, Formless Spawn, Serpent Man from NA and put them into Arctic Ocean.
    No ritual

@Preda

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    No ritual.

@jakobagger

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    No ritual, but I will eat n acolyte in West Africa for an Elder Sign

• Options
  • Options
    No Ritual. Not to just give more vp away.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I think I gotta ritual before I'm ground into dust here. Donate a doom point to Sleeper. High Priests Karen, Jorge, and Enid are all sacrificed for Elder Signs.

Geth roll 1d6
    Ubbo's growth counter increases by five.

15>8, I think?

1d6 5 [1d6=5]

Saurfang on
  • Options
    @Mordenthral for moving forward, I think?

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    Map updated for our 4th and, most likely, final round.

7bc95a701398773.png

@NotoriusBEN is up for the first move.

• Options
    Map should show I have 4 ES, rather than 1. Not a significant difference, I think; I'm not sure that I'm in contention.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    I just got my Elder Signs from ArcSyn and I'll reveal them: I have two threes, four twos, and two ones for a total of 16 doom points.

• Options
    That will end the game. Saurfang is the winner if no one can catch 31; and he should thank everyone for the free Doom points!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, he hit at the right time for the RNG. Handed out a bunch of 1s prior. I can post the random list if anyone cares.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah, he hit at the right time for the RNG. Handed out a bunch of 1s prior. I can post the random list if anyone cares.
    I’ve no reason to suspect you of any shenanigans. :biggrin:

Edit: Three turns is a very quick win. Not enough time for a bunch of interesting stuff to happen, unfortunately.

I’ll run another game after game 2 is over and will use the Cthulhu randomiser for game setup. Will most likely end up being -not- Earth and will have independent GOOs, neutral Monsters and some Terrors.

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    booo.

I was going to explode everything.

moral of the story. kill tcho tcho. you are not bullying him, because if he gets 3 portals, he wins.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Oh, for my two face-to-face games yesterday, I won the first game as Cthulhu (with the help of the Gnorri and the Tulzcha GOO), so I don’t feel so badly about my poor performance in this game. :)

• Options
    booo.

I was going to explode everything.

moral of the story. kill tcho tcho. you are not bullying him, because if he gets 3 portals, he wins.
    Yeah, we held TT to two areas in our game and pushed him back to one area on the last turn.

• Options
    thinking about it, it is irksome... sleeper doesn't want to fight too early, but cthulu and black goat, two bruisers start in the southern area.
    crawling chaos could and probably should smack uboo around to shake out elder signs.

we had a lot of combat bruisers in the southern hemisphere this game.
    looking at ancients' play, I *could* have sat in the atlantic ocean, but to me, that's the center of the game board, everyone is looking there all the time.
    Indian ocean is very viable, because you can set up australia to be your stronghold and you are close to other Elder Runes (Chevron, Slashes, Circle)

I'm thoroughly impressed with Ancients, especially with neutral books in play. Although, I think playtest needs to put Un-men back to costing 1point and reanimateds at 3points without spellbook shenanigans.
    Those costs are too prohibitive to be able to allow other ways to play ancients. It basically requires you to put out cathedrals asap and follow a script just like YS.
    3power for a unit that does nothing but protect from capture is absurd compared to other monsters of the same cost. Same deal with a 4 point cost for a 1attack reanimateds compared to others. Yothans at 7 are at a proper cost/power ratio without their spellbook, and costing 3 but risking removal from the game is acceptable.

The point costs you gave me when we started the game felt more in line with what they should be.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I thought my guesses seemed fair, but the updated costs came right from the playtesters with Petersen Games approval.

• Options
    yea, those playtesters are smoking something. spellbooks are supposed to be a benefit, not necessarily a requirement for play. sure there are some factions that hinge on certain spellbooks, like YS, but that's YS's endgame. people should be able to have two different opening strategies. 3 is too much for an unman. getting the unman spellbook is still a good pick, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Uh, is that all? :) I just slept through whole game? Do not feel I could do anything different :)
    Congratulations, Saurfang! Thanks for the game everyone!

• Options
    Daemonis wrote: »
    Uh, is that all? :) I just slept through whole game? Do not feel I could do anything different :)
    Congratulations, Saurfang! Thanks for the game everyone!
    Yes, it was an unusually quick game. Most games go -at least- 4 turns; usually 5. There was a bunch of interesting things about to happen this turn. :)

• Options
    I got lucky with elder signs and a few free don points. That said, I still think it's a bit too easy for Tcho Tcho to earn points.

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    That will end the game. Saurfang is the winner if no one can catch 31; and he should thank everyone for the free Doom points!

Only 10 with all my elder signs... I doubt I would have been able to catch up even only doing desecration and nothing else for the whole turn...

• Options
    I had a 3, 2, 1, and 1. So, also not in contention at all. I'm... Not sold on the game overall, especially compared to Chaos in the Old World. I'd be hard pressed to go buy CW now. Totally willing to play again and see if that changes though.

8BFpSWC.png

• Options
    I had a 3, 2, 1, and 1. So, also not in contention at all. I'm... Not sold on the game overall, especially compared to Chaos in the Old World. I'd be hard pressed to go buy CW now. Totally willing to play again and see if that changes though.
    I’m not sure how I would feel about it if my only experience was playing by forum. Playing on Steam with NotoriusBEN and Saurfang through Tabletop Simulator is so much better, and then playing face-to-face is exponentially better still.