As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    It's becoming easier and easier for me to stop playing a game that's just not my jam with no guilt attached, and that feels good. It's also illuminating to me just what I like or don't like, so I can further modify my wishlist. I feel like I'm finally starting to relearn what games I actually like, and that feels good.

That can be surprisingly hard to figure out. There's a lot of games where I like the idea of and that have gotten good reviews, other people going "everybody's gotta play this, it's great!" but when I try them out I get 2-3 hours in and just lose all the will to continue. It can be difficult to accept that some games just aren't for me.

Also sometimes it's just mood. Rather than force myself to soldier on in a game I enjoyed a couple days ago but am not enjoying now, it's better to set it aside until I'm back in the mood to play it. This way when I do come back it's with enjoyment rather than potential burnout.

I've sometimes had to do this for games that were uneven for me. I'm usually glad I came back for a second look when I'm in a better mood for it even if I don't have the searing passion for the game others did.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    @Karoz: Will you be picking up games before the sale ends for the krampus ultra-hard, or after?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Karoz: Will you be picking up games before the sale ends for the krampus ultra-hard, or after?

Trying to do it before since that opens up more possibilities for people to choose and also I am on a budget. So the latest I'd push Ultra hard is to January 3rd so it at least gives me the morning to buy the games.

Unfortunately saying I'll "buy any game (at or under X dollars) means there's more work for other people to figure out which games to submit.

So have a bit less a week. Admittedly not the best system especially if that goal had been reached further towards the end of the sale but we're making it work.

Edit: You can also submit multiple entries so don't feel hamstrung to choose just one.

Karoz on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Karoz: Will you be picking up games before the sale ends for the krampus ultra-hard, or after?

Trying to do it before since that opens up more possibilities for people to choose and also I am on a budget. So the latest I'd push Ultra hard is to January 3rd so it at least gives me the morning to buy the games.

Unfortunately saying I'll "buy any game (at or under X dollars) means there's more work for other people to figure out which games to submit.

So have a bit less a week. Admittedly not the best system especially if that goal had been reached further towards the end of the sale but we're making it work.

Edit: You can also submit multiple entries so don't feel hamstrung to choose just one.

That's good to hear, then I can just nominate good games on big sales :D.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Karoz man do I want Thief Golf to be a thing (please don't update the poll)

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Karoz man do I want Thief Golf to be a thing (please don't update the poll)

Ha sorry Mugman, I've got no control over these things...that I'm aware of.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Man, I miss when I could see PA and chat with you guys at work. Also, I'm done being sick now! So that means it's time to peruse the Steam sale and see what sorts of goodies I can pick up for cheap. Hooray!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Ok so while we wait for some people to claim their keys, let's see what I have here.

~Rumages around in the bag~ Aha! What would Steam be without hats?

Here's a Vermintide Dwarf Helmet for someone with Warhammer: Vermintide.

Loading...?

Christmas comes late this year! I have somewhere between 60-80 games and DLC to give away to all you guys this year instead of one big giveaway.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

G&T members only. Practically everything will be non region restricted (the restricted stuff seems to be non Steam anyway). If you see something that you know someone will like, be sure to throw them a message and tell them to enter (I usually did this, but there's just too much stuff). Other than hopefully getting 5 entries on everything for the pittance of CV they return, don't feel bad if no one enters something at all, I'll just have to release it to the whole of Steamgifts later on after all of you have first pick of everything.

This will take some time to go through since I can only make 6 giveaways right now so I'm doing 5 at a time to hold one in reserve.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    This will close in a couple of hours, in case anyone hasn't voted yet and wants to!
    Berylline wrote: »
    My charity drive incentive was to let the thread pick the next longer story-based game I stream. I won't be starting it immediately, but I will be sure to post about when I'll be starting. Here's the poll!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Put my vote in for Canadian Serial Killer Simulator.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Okay folks, since we breached the incentive set for the Backlog challenge, it is now open season on expressing interest. For those of you new to the Backlog challenge, its pretty simple.

Goal: As a team complete as many games as you can to remove them from your backlog.

From now until January 11th, you make a post or message me saying you're interested in joining in. That will put you on the spreadsheet list. From Friday the 12th at 12:00am Eastern time until Monday the 29th at 11:59pm Eastern Time all you have to do is play video games that qualify. For every video game you beat, you take a screenshot of the credits/ending and send it to me in a private message on these boards. Once thats done i'll go to howlongtobeat.com and check the time for completion and award the team you're assigned to 1 point for every hour it takes to beat the game you completed.

Of course theres stipulations. In order for a game to be eligible you must have never played it, or at least not more than 15-20% of the game. This is about clearing games off your backlog, and getting through games you've wanted to play but never really had a reason to. Theres no real way to enforce this, especially with auto-idler programs and the like inflating playtimes, but its the honor system. These games must be played THROUGH steam. That doesnt mean you can't play non-steam games, you just have to run them through the steam client and send me the links to them through there. This does mean theres absolutely no console games, etc. Sorry, thems the breaks.

During the course of the backlog challenge I will release extra bounties for you. These bounties will be simple things you'll find in a lot of video games. Like take a picture of an anchor, or a pirate flag, or an in-game message promoting a fake product. If you find any of the bounties I've posted, take a screenshot and send it in when you complete the game. Bounties MUST be of games you have finished for this backlog challenge. If you get a picture of an ad in Half Life 2, you must complete half life 2 for this backlog challenge, which means it must be eligible for you, etc. If I release a bounty in a game you beat already for this challenge, you can go back and get screenshots to add to the list and i'll add them to the game you've already completed. Each bounty will be worth 1 point extra to your team's score.

The winning team will be the team that collects the most points. Teams will be completely randomized, the spreadsheet will be completely open, and you can check any info there or message me with any questions at all. Im more than happy to answer any questions :)

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Whoops, Berylline was nice enough to point out that my feared ULTRA-Hard mode Krampus Survey has already capped out.

So redoing it as a google doc you all can comment on and going to transfer the suggestions already made. Keeping it just comments so no funny business--without leaving a paper trail. :razz:

So here is Karoz's Ultra-Hard Mode Krampus Survey Redux

Edit: This is just to collect all eligible titles, I will hold a vote January 2nd/3rd to make sure things are decided before the end of the sale.

Karoz on
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Jeix for Satellite Reign!

3q48cpk46vww.jpg

I like the sound of no set path to completing objectives and more cyberpunky goodness is always welcome, especially with that co-op option. :heartbeat:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I almost forgot to make a post, but thank you so much to @Sumanai for the gift of Spellspire.

J84qCq5.png

This game seems exactly like what I am a wizard at being a wizard of. I think. Lets do this. Thank you so much portugator. <3

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I see lots of awesomes up there and only a few entries. Those are rookie numbers, get those numbers up. Chivalry has been free so I can forgive that one.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Realized I hadn't donated anything yet, so here I am rectifying that.
    @CorriganX @Iolo
    YAC66pX.jpg

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Guys I’m so happy

After nearly two years I have my PC fixed

Brand new cooling system, this thing is dead silent, I can play games again

I have a lot to catch up on

Ceno on
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Brand new cooking system, this thing is dead silent, I can play games again

I think that should be Cooling system, but if it was broken it would definitely be a cooking system.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    The poll has closed and Dishonored 2 was the winner! (Don't worry, Mass Effect 2 fans, I'll be sure to play and stream that one at some point!) I need to make another attempt at the DLC from the first Dishonored before taking on 2, so I'll probably hold off on 2 until after the backlog challenge. I will, of course, post in the thread with the exact schedule once I know it!
    Berylline wrote: »
    My charity drive incentive was to let the thread pick the next longer story-based game I stream. I won't be starting it immediately, but I will be sure to post about when I'll be starting. Here's the poll!

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Brand new cooking system, this thing is dead silent, I can play games again

I think that should be Cooling system, but if it was broken it would definitely be a cooking system.

Yeah it definitely was a cooking system for a long time lol

• Options
    @Jragghen rewarded my typo with a gift of Cook, Serve, Delicious.

Thanks! You are awesome.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    There I was getting ready for bed when suddenly a dagger struck in the dark!

e2B0Swv.png

Thank you @mildlymorbid for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel!

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Thanks @mildlymorbid for Pixel Dungeon, wooo roguelikes!

j71rsI0.png

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I know this is the STEAM thread, but I figure that extends to other good PC game deals, like Syndicate on Origin being 5 bucks. The campaign was short but I'd say it's probably well worth the 5 dollars, and also I hear the co-op mode is very good.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Thanks to @Jeix for Satellite Reign!

3q48cpk46vww.jpg

I like the sound of no set path to completing objectives and more cyberpunky goodness is always welcome, especially with that co-op option. :heartbeat:

This game is pretty great.
    I'm playing through it at the moment.
    Although I seem to be getting overleveled cracking every corp in a district before moving on.
    The enemies scale with your level... But that doesn't seem to help them much.

Fair warning though, the game doesn't let you save when you're sneaking through a base, so make time in real life for the mission.
    ... Or you could see whether the Iron Man option lets you save whenever...

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Doki Doki Literature Club
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Anyone doing the Trading Card game this year? Looking for some folks to swap with.

Currently have extras of:

Labor of Love (1 extra)
    Suspension of Disbelief (2 extras)

Need:

Choices Matter (#1)
    The World is Grim Enough (#5)
    No Apologies (#6)
    Cry Havoc (#8)
    Haunts My Dreams (#9)
    Whoooaaaa, Dude! (#11)
    Even Better Than I Expected (#12)

Steam name is the same as my forum name in case we're not friends yet.

Sent you a friend request, I have enough extra Choices Matter cards to choke a horse, and have extras of several of the others as well, but could use a Labor of Love.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Doki Doki Literature Club
    WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!?!

I thought deleting that bitch would let me have a good ending but now I can't play the game anymore.

FUCK THIS GAME!

:lol:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    With the distant sound of unholy bagpipes, the $25 is pulled from Karo'z wallet and greedily devoured by hungering maw of Steam.

Trapped in this purgatory, Karoz awaits his fate.

Karoz's Krampus Polls:

Normal Mode - backlog games choice, must be completed after Hard Mode. Karoz may actually enjoy these games, but let them linger on his backlog yet a little more. Currently ruled by an undead queen but she needs a second in command. Still very close.

Hard Mode - retired/not-interested backlog games, must be completed first. Karoz thought he was done with them and now he must complete them if he ever wishes to play another game ever again. A few have pulled ahead by a vote but still very much of a toss up.

ULTRA Hard Mode - new purchases of $15 and $25 value (NOTE: due to both goals being reached I am adding a $40 category, but I think two games is more punishing than one). Must be completed last. The truest of Karoz's punishments: buying games that are merely added to the backlog. This is merely a google document survey where people comment on empty spaces in order for me to add appropriate games (must be within price range and not already owned). Decision poll to be held January 2nd-3rd.

Thanks to everyone who donated! I thought I would get off scot free but now looks like I am the fool. :lol: :bigfrown:

Karoz on
  • Options
    ... I think I have a problem. Im playing so much Spellspire. So its not really a typing game, more of a "find words in a bundle of letters" game, but its really fun. It has gear mechanics, getting better wizard wands, wizard robes, wizard hats. You get random drops that are consumable, you can use specific damage types vs mobs, or use hats that have stuff like "the first enemy you fight has 2x slower attack speed" so you can wear that hat vs a singular boss and wreck them before they hit. Its really engaging, it has your re-play levels to get more cash, but its a "challenge" version where you have to beat the level the 2nd time without taking damage, or with enough heal pots to heal to full before the end to complete the challenge.

If you like a typing/find the words kinda boggle-ish? game this one is really enjoyable. Thanks so much @Sumanai <3

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Holy shit. Doki Doki Literature Club
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!
    Fun fact: my wife got to that part and physically recoiled from the computer. Because you see, her Steam name is a nick-name she uses quite often. So she pulled away, shuddered, and sat down, and I asked what was wrong, and she just pointed. So I walked over to the screen, read it, and said, "oh, huh, it's just reading your Steam name, honey."

She looked a little dejected and answered in a low, sullen tone, "well it's still creepy . . . "

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I don't know what's going on with my screenshot tool but I want to send a hearty Thank You to @SkutSkut who surprised me with a copy of Taimumari which actually brings back some fond NES memories. I bow down to your class, good sir.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Amazon is having a Digital Day sale today. None of the prices struck me as worldbeaters, esp. since a lot of the discounted Steam codes appear to be the games that get discounts regularly. That said, a lot of you may have digital credit from Prime 'ship anytime' shipping over the holidays, and it can be used with these digital games. One deal that jumped out at me was State of Decay: Year One Edition for $7.50 (or less if you have Amazon digital funbux.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Cheapest version of the best sims game?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Amazon is having a Digital Day sale today. None of the prices struck me as worldbeaters, esp. since a lot of the discounted Steam codes appear to be the games that get discounts regularly. That said, a lot of you may have digital credit from Prime 'ship anytime' shipping over the holidays, and it can be used with these digital games. One deal that jumped out at me was State of Decay: Year One Edition for $7.50 (or less if you have Amazon digital funbux.)

/bursts through door panting

DID SOMEONE CALL ME!?

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT STATE OF DECAY!

Do you like zombie games? If not, why are we talking anyway - for that matter, why are we even friends? But hey, if you do (and why wouldn't you? Zombies are awesome!), State of Decay is the BEST ZOMBIE GAME EVER! How do I know? Because I have way over 100 hours in it and I would never waste my time on a bad game. Ever. I could list all the awesome things about this game like smacking zombies with car doors while you race down the road or watching one of your poor dudes get literally ripped in half by a big-ass zombie or making desperate supply runs through brain-eating hordes so you can keep morale up among your dwindling survivors or YOU COULD TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

What I'm trying to say here is that State of Decay is pretty good and I love it and I think you should totally buy it for $7.50 if you don't own it and if I had the money I would gift out SO MANY COPIES!

/takes breath

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm sitting in the Miami Airport (ugh), but I had a look at the Amazon sale and bought Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest. Great deals when you have a lot of gift card money.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I still have my issues with SoD, but at $7.50 for the whole thing it's worth a look for anyone interested in a more unique zombie game than usual.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    So after finishing SOMA, and dealing with crappy unpleasant people and situations in real life,

Stardew Valley is delightful.

I had no idea I needed it, but I did. Thanks again @Berylline!

Edit: At the same time I did nod in satisfaction when I met the one guy in town who appears to be a dick.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Guys I’m so happy

After nearly two years I have my PC fixed

Brand new cooling system, this thing is dead silent, I can play games again

I have a lot to catch up on

Instead of catching up, just play Witcher 3 for 400 hours.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.