As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Isopropyl alcohol for in-ear earphones?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
So I've read this is a "safe" way to clean and disinfect earphones without damaging them, but am I supposed to wipe them down with water or something after I use the alcohol wipe so that they are safe in my ear? Or is it that once they've air dried (about 10 minutes after wiping them down with rubbing alcohol) they are safe to put in my ear again?

(I'm kind of a germaphobe + chemophobe, which sucks.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The alcohol will evaporate faster and more completely than any regular water you put on it and will kill any germs on contact, while water is a known component of the germ loving environment.

So, yeah, use the alcohol wipes, let it dry, continue use as normal.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The alcohol will evaporate faster and more completely than any regular water you put on it and will kill any germs on contact, while water is a known component of the germ loving environment.

So, yeah, use the alcohol wipes, let it dry, continue use as normal.

Thanks!

I used to use Clorox wipes, but I think that is a little too much for earphones and whatnot.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, the thing to understand is that the alcohol will go away, completely, if just left to itself.
    If you put a little on the skin (not lots, for obvs reasons), you'll feel a noticeable cooling effect; it evaporates that quickly.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the thing to understand is that the alcohol will go away, completely, if just left to itself.
    If you put a little on the skin (not lots, for obvs reasons), you'll feel a noticeable cooling effect; it evaporates that quickly.

FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    just be careful as a lot of isopropyl alcohol comes in varying percentages

camo_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    My ears got very drunk.

And the wipes were 70%.

Drez on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    My ears got very drunk.

And the wipes were 70%.

Isopropyl won't get you drunk.
    Now if you told me your ears went blind, I'd believe that.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.