As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have been so strong not bought pandemic legacy on three separate occasions this weekend. Well done mojo.
    Fairchild wrote: »
    How was the sandwich ?

Those are baggies for sorting components

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    How was the sandwich ?

I use the "bag and tag" method for boxing a lot of my board games, especially ones that take a lot of time to set up. Twilight Imperium, for example, has 17 different species to play as that all have unique homeworlds, cards, and components. So I used a baggy for each species for easier setup time instead of having to hunt down each unique card, token, and homeworld. They also have a tendency to get mixed in with the normal stuff, so that's even more time spent having to double check all the normal components to make sure they're not mixed in during setup.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone seen Gloomhaven in the wild at your FLGS?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Did our first game of War of the Ring done with both expansions. I won't lie it's a lot to manage, and we are still wrapping our heads around the strategy implications of the new factions and card abilities. I think I got a little trigger happy and brought in too many of my factions too early on. Like most things in War of the Rings, you need to let your card draws dictate your focus and strategy, instead of trying to force the issue. I think bringing in a faction early to get the associated action die is very good, but then I think you should probably let the die do its work and amass a force while you slowly collect a hand of cards and see where you will be strong.

Game ended with 8 of 10 victory points for conquest for the Shadow, with a final 2 point city under siege with only 3 guards, due to a surprise deep raid launched by the Corsairs of Umbar. The strongholds of the free people would not have taken so long if the Eagles had not stalled progress in the north, constantly harrying the Nazgul and making the taking of Erebor and the Woodland Realms a slow and painful affair. The ringbearers were one step away from tossing the ring into the fires of mordor, their swift movement sped up over the course of the game by Strider, swift boats down rivers, and a brief ride on some Eagles. But, what ultimately ended it was the fellowship hitting 12 of 12 corruption, after being harried mercilessly early in the game by both the spider children of Ungoliant and the Witch King himself. The fellowship was on 9 corruption on their last move, there were 8 tiles left in the cup. Only two could kill them, a 3 corruption tile and an eye tile (with 4 dice in the hunt box). The Frodo had his mithril coat on, and I had resigned myself to my loss. He moved, I drew the tile, the 3. He used the mithril coat to turn the blow and draw a new tile and I drew the eye.

God damn do I love this boardgame.

Edit: Also, man, it is A LOT of boardgame, here is a shot from a couple turns in:
    R05xhdK.jpg

Inquisitor on
    These Twilight Struggle savants on steam keep giving me the business.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ah, whoops.

So I managed to pick up both Charterstone and Pandemic Legacy Season 2 as Christmas presents, which seemed pretty good at the time as they are both games I'm fairly excited to play.

Last night we discovered our very best friends and gaming couple we played through Pandemic Season 1 with have finally managed to get pregnant and are due in August. Which is great, amazing news after many years of not being able to conceive and we're overwhelmingly happy and excited for them because they are very much our friends first and gaming partners after.

However, it does kind of really put a bit of a rush on getting through 2 legacy games before then and if we want to have a nice variety of games to play at our regular game evenings we'll probably have to restrict ourselves to just picking one to get through and the other can go into the cupboard for, uh, however long it is until another regular gaming group forms up again.

So now I guess we'd better pick which one we'd like to try and see through before what will undoubtedly be a bit of a break in our gaming schedule in about 7 months time.

Still, the whole time I've been typing this I'm still grinning with happiness for them, so I'm still pretty much at "Woo! Baby!" levels of exictement.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone seen Gloomhaven in the wild at your FLGS?

February seems to be the target in the United States.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    After seeing Ah_Pook's report we will save Sidereal Confluence for next time! Mostly because it looks like people will be arriving in a fairly staggered manner, but also because my 6 year old will be present and wants to help out (he likes to distribute money or energy cubes or whatever as needed) and this game has way more going on than I initially thought.

I wonder if the forum could make a play of this happen. Ohhhh it would be tough.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Honestly though, a single baby, while disruptive for a good three months in adjustment or so, sleeps a lot, and basically eats, poops, and sleeps. So game nights can still be a regular thing, even if it means a bit quieter to make sure you don't wake them up. :biggrin:

Disclaimer: I know not every baby is like this, and there are many situations that require more time and attention. I speak from experience of my own five and viewing others.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    We did a board games night last night for New Year's Eve and we actually played board games? Usually we just play one or two and then chat, but we played every game we had. Crazy.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We played about an hour of Timeline, which is about the most appropriately New Year's Eve themed game we could think of.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    After seeing Ah_Pook's report we will save Sidereal Confluence for next time! Mostly because it looks like people will be arriving in a fairly staggered manner, but also because my 6 year old will be present and wants to help out (he likes to distribute money or energy cubes or whatever as needed) and this game has way more going on than I initially thought.

I wonder if the forum could make a play of this happen. Ohhhh it would be tough.

Man im having a hard time imagining a way that this works

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven posts are showing a lot of "you gotta know what you're doing" and that's what I like about it, I think.

It's not super complicated, but until things click you can do really poorly and get stomped, and you're like how the fuck can I beat this??? And then you figure it out and stomp and it's so satisfying.

OrokosPA.png
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Finally played GLOOMHAVEN today, the first scenario. Three man team-- Tinker and Spellweaver (Me) and Cragheart (Dave). It's a dungeon-crawl boardgame, at least at first, I suspect that as the campaign goes on the situations will become more complex than "Kick in the door and kill the Mooks".

Not that I have anything against kicking in doors and killing mooks.

Combat is diceless, decided by combat resolution card decks, with the heart of the game being your PC's ability cards and their careful management, since you have a finite number of them, they steadily dwindle from your hand, and if you ever run out of cards, you are out of the fight.

Can't say that I was all that happy with the Spellweaver. A Mage, obviously, so you'd expect her to be a glass cannon, and while they got the glass part correct-- she has very low health and card count and her deck runs out quickly, so a couple of unlucky card draws by the mooks can easily knock her out-- the cannon is really not there. Her spells hit hard, but not as hard as they should.

Not so the Tinker, whom I really liked as a fast, stick and move DPS type that the mooks never seem to be able to pin down.

Dave struggled a bit at first as the Cragheart, but after our abortive first try at the scenario he figured out the wrinkles and we rolled over our enemies on try number two.

So far, so good, once we learned the game the turns went quickly, lots of good decision-making with coordination between teammates being key. Many online have complained about the secret Battle Goals that each player has active, but I had no problem with them, I think they add a welcome extra layer of chaos. I will change out the Spellweaver for a different class next time, tho.

Spellweaver is more about AoE than glass cannon. She was my first character in our campaign, and one of my friends plays her now. She’s excellent at softening up enemies for others to finish off, and at using her various ranged attacks to keep piling on damage while staying just out of reach. She also starts with one of the best summons in the game,

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    About to play Kingdomino for the first time tonight, and potentially Ladies and Gentlemen but I may hold off since there's only four of us. I feel like the more "couples" the better with that game.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

If you want some easy frags and can accommodate my Central European Time we should play sometime.

Got my Flash Point Tragic Events expansion today. Hoping to talk my wife into a game tonight. Never had the hot spot rule come up very often, so interested to see how this changes the game for us.

For those who aren't aware, normal rules are roll dice, place smoke. If there is smoke, it becomes fire. The starting fire spots are "hot spots" as well as any explosions that happen, and if they are rolled you roll again for two new smokes.

This does away with that for a deck of cards you shuffle and flip, and if you flip a certain card over (number in deck changes by player count and difficulty) you also draw an event card and roll for two new smokes. Events can be bad, good, good and/or bad, and terrible.

It also included three roles and minis, as well as special civilians to rescue.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Fuselage wrote: »
    About to play Kingdomino for the first time tonight, and potentially Ladies and Gentlemen but I may hold off since there's only four of us. I feel like the more "couples" the better with that game.

I wish I could get Ladies and Gentlemen to the table more often but given that it is best with a pretty large number of players, needs a pretty specific mindset, and the setup takes FOREVER, it is unfortunately difficult to play. Pity, that.

CesareB on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ladies & Gentlemen needs a little trimming. It's got a few too many fiddly, hard to remember bits for something that should be a casual affair. The Gentlemen players could use with some decision making too; nobody wants to play them when we bring it out.

It's also the only time that Monopoly money gets any use because they don't provide anywhere close to enough money of their own in the game for 6+ players.

MrBody on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    New Year’s Eve games:

Got through rules + 2 rounds of Alchemists
    Forbidden Island
    King of Tokyo
    One Night Ultimate Werewolf (this game is so weird! There’s no information but what you volunteer!)
    NY Slice (which is Piece O Cake with a little extra and a very nice presentation)
    Burgle Bros
    Hanabi
    Rick & Morty (the parasite card game)

Hoping to get to at least The Thing tomorrow.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »

I wish I could get Ladies and Gentlemen to the table more often but given that it is best with a pretty large number of players, needs a pretty specific mindset, and the setup takes FOREVER, it is unfortunately difficult to play. Pity, that.
    MrBody wrote: »
    Ladies & Gentlemen needs a little trimming. It's got a few too many fiddly, hard to remember bits for something that should be a casual affair. The Gentlemen players could use with some decision making too; nobody wants to play them when we bring it out.

It's also the only time that Monopoly money gets any use because they don't provide anywhere close to enough money of their own in the game for 6+ players.

Our fourth ended up bailing, so there were just three of us. We played several games of Kingdomino and two of Red Dragon Inn before it was bedtime. I really enjoyed Kingdomino, I think it's the kind of game I could get to the table often whether it's with other gamers or at a family reunion or something. I'm also grateful that I liked it, because by the time we played I had already ordered Queendomino off CSI.

That's a shame about Ladies and Gentlemen, though. I think I had heard there's a dark side to the game in terms of actual fun gameplay. I guess you'd have to really commit to the bit to make up for any mechanics shortcomings. I'll look on BGG and see if anyone has any good house rules for it. It's just a shame, because the premise is cool and competitive co-op sounds like a lot of fun. I've probably had the game for over a year and still haven't played it.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    We played a 3-player game of Unearth, it was great! I lost to a tiebreaker at the end, but it feels so good to snipe ruins from other players - I feel like a Saturday morning cartoon villain coming up from behind and yoinking the goods from the good guys. I need a mustache to twirl.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    We got in a 5 person game of ticket to ride. Which was nice because it's usually my Dad and I playing it. We don't really come into conflict in a 2 player game.
    5 people, everyone was crowded and I was delighted that this scene played out almost verbatim with the two new players.

i-XvK9tQs-2100x20000.jpg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Heh, the rule for 4-5 players in ticket to Ride is immediately grab the 1-2 space routes by Nashville and New Orleans. You may not even need them, but they can be so crucial and aren't doubled.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    jakobagger wrote: »

If you want some easy frags and can accommodate my Central European Time we should play sometime.

Sure, we can do an asynchronous game or something! My steam and playdek name are both Spawnbroker.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Late to the show here but dang, Tyrants of the Underdark is so good!

And so easy to teach. The expansion any good?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

It's one of my favorite deck builders now! I picked up the expansion, but have only gotten to play with some of it once I think. It just adds more variety, since you can combine more pairs for the market deck, but be warned that the card in the expansion got printed differently and are slightly wider and/or thicker (it's really stupid). You need to sleeve your cards to help hide the difference.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The third and final scythe expansion has just been announced

It adds a resettable campaign mode. Very of the moment

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Oh damn.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Can't say that I was all that happy with the Spellweaver. A Mage, obviously, so you'd expect her to be a glass cannon, and while they got the glass part correct-- she has very low health and card count and her deck runs out quickly, so a couple of unlucky card draws by the mooks can easily knock her out-- the cannon is really not there. Her spells hit hard, but not as hard as they should.

We've been using a Brute and a Spellweaver and my buddy playing the Spellweaver has similar complaints although he's stuck with her. She has some nice mob control in the early going, but isn't too impressive otherwise. Do note that her impaling power doesn't work anything like the text on the card suggests and is far more flexible. Also Eagle Eye goggles are a must.

• CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Did our first game of War of the Ring done with both expansions. I won't lie it's a lot to manage, and we are still wrapping our heads around the strategy implications of the new factions and card abilities. I think I got a little trigger happy and brought in too many of my factions too early on. Like most things in War of the Rings, you need to let your card draws dictate your focus and strategy, instead of trying to force the issue. I think bringing in a faction early to get the associated action die is very good, but then I think you should probably let the die do its work and amass a force while you slowly collect a hand of cards and see where you will be strong.

Game ended with 8 of 10 victory points for conquest for the Shadow, with a final 2 point city under siege with only 3 guards, due to a surprise deep raid launched by the Corsairs of Umbar. The strongholds of the free people would not have taken so long if the Eagles had not stalled progress in the north, constantly harrying the Nazgul and making the taking of Erebor and the Woodland Realms a slow and painful affair. The ringbearers were one step away from tossing the ring into the fires of mordor, their swift movement sped up over the course of the game by Strider, swift boats down rivers, and a brief ride on some Eagles. But, what ultimately ended it was the fellowship hitting 12 of 12 corruption, after being harried mercilessly early in the game by both the spider children of Ungoliant and the Witch King himself. The fellowship was on 9 corruption on their last move, there were 8 tiles left in the cup. Only two could kill them, a 3 corruption tile and an eye tile (with 4 dice in the hunt box). The Frodo had his mithril coat on, and I had resigned myself to my loss. He moved, I drew the tile, the 3. He used the mithril coat to turn the blow and draw a new tile and I drew the eye.

Edit: Also, man, it is A LOT of boardgame, here is a shot from a couple turns in:
    R05xhdK.jpg

That is good to hear. I was considering picking up War of the Ring because I hear it's the best LotR board game, but I couldn't figure out if it had aged well. Middle Earth Quest is pretty good but it takes a long time and is very complicated (imagine a board bigger than in your pic and about 3x as many components.) My group also has a hard time with the meatier games so I tend to only get away with them if it's just me, my wife, and maybe one other person. Has it aged well, and does it play well with just 2 or 3 people?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I am trying to imagine how one would go about stapling a campaign mode onto Scythe and I am coming up blank. I will be curious to see how that works.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Calebros wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

R05xhdK.jpg

That is good to hear. I was considering picking up War of the Ring because I hear it's the best LotR board game, but I couldn't figure out if it had aged well. Middle Earth Quest is pretty good but it takes a long time and is very complicated (imagine a board bigger than in your pic and about 3x as many components.) My group also has a hard time with the meatier games so I tend to only get away with them if it's just me, my wife, and maybe one other person. Has it aged well, and does it play well with just 2 or 3 people?

It's pretty much just a 1v1 game. You can play it 2v2, but that's really just divying up the two sides, never tried it myself, but it sounds less than ideal.

I think it is still one of the best 1v1 boardgames out there, right up there with Sekigahara and Twilight Struggle.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

It's one of my favorite deck builders now! I picked up the expansion, but have only gotten to play with some of it once I think. It just adds more variety, since you can combine more pairs for the market deck, but be warned that the card in the expansion got printed differently and are slightly wider and/or thicker (it's really stupid). You need to sleeve your cards to help hide the difference.

It's one of those games I am interested in but I have seen a lot of people complain about the expansion and say it brings and game down

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    After five playthroughs of the Prologue to get a solid grasp on the new "base" game, my wife and I dove into Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 proper today. Spoilers for January follow:
    January 1, 71 A.P.

By all rights, keeping the mainland(s) supplied should be all we can handle, but a lot of the others are saying we need to expand our supply lines. They’re not wrong, but that’s also not why they’re saying it. They want to find the missing leaders and security teams… They need the fact that we’re suddenly responsible for the entire human race to be temporary, and I don’t blame them.

What I need is to be out there doing something. I found someone willing to help me: Dahlia. She’s not from Antillia, she’s from Atlantis down south. I think she’s a teacher or something. Together, we spent the last month traveling the world doing our best to keep everything resupplied and perform recon. I did my best to teach her how to farm to shore up what supplies we have, but honestly I don’t think she’ll ever be anything but an amateur. Still, I couldn’t have found Chicago without her, and I need all the help I can get in any case.

We managed to keep the plague at bay for most of the month, but there have been five epidemics in the last 31 days. Lagos, Tripoli, and New York all took a big hit. And the supply centers we built in Washington, São Paulo, and Cairo won’t hold against the Hollow Men for much longer.

We found an old decontamination kit too. Dahlia wanted to save it, but we were both trapped in Jacksonville during a plague outbreak, and I made an executive decision. I think she’s still got a chip on her shoulder over it. When we got back to the Havens and had to convince the others of what to do next, she insisted that we bring in more people to produce supplies on Antillia and Atlantis, over my objections. It’s not a bad idea, but we can only do so much, and I thought our resources would’ve been better spent on making it easier for us to get around. I think Dahlia pushed against it just to spite me.

One other thing: we were able to make some permanent infrastructure improvements in São Paulo. The supply centers may not last, but I think the roads and power plants we helped the locals get running again should be okay.

I’m tired, but I have to head back out there.

—Sasha of Antillia
    We won, but it was close. There were five incidents, and five cards left in the player deck when we built our third supply center. We prioritized the recon mission since it would stay completed even if we lost the first month and had to take another shot it in a couple weeks. As with Season 1 a couple years back, we'll be playing this one in "real" time, playing each game on the first of the month (unless we lose one, in which case we'll throw in another game on or around the 15th).

Also, I may have developed a Broken Token addiction after PAX Unplugged. I've got the organizers for Betrayal at House on the Hill, 7 Wonders, 7 Wonders Duel, and Terraforming Mars. The Terraforming Mars set is especially useful, since it comes with indented boards for the various resource cubes. I should be getting the Battlestar Galactica organizer this week, which should cut down on set up time immensely.

Sneaks on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    As far as I remember the stats from bgg at hardest difficulty level top players win
    We got in a 5 person game of ticket to ride. Which was nice because it's usually my Dad and I playing it. We don't really come into conflict in a 2 player game.
    5 people, everyone was crowded and I was delighted that this scene played out almost verbatim with the two new players.

Play Big Cities and 5 player (and 3 player) ticket to ride become utterly ruthless.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MAGfest is in two days! While its not a priority, I hope I can get Sidereal Confluence going in the tabletop area.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Anyone have any thoughts about chronicle X or the publisher Archon Studio.
    Is this an x-com themed cash grab or will it be good?

steam_sig.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

It's one of those games I am interested in but I have seen a lot of people complain about the expansion and say it brings and game down

I mean the expansion is two optional decks of cards and it costs 8 bucks... worst case you just don't use it.

I like the base game a lot, I got the expansion but I don't think I've had a chance to try it yet.