As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New Years] Because 2017 was too good for us.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited December 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Post here your New Years activities, pledges, and what you're looking forward to in the new year.

Next year I'm going to spend more time outside. Hopefully 2018 is as good as 2017, at least for me personally.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm getting drunk.

Happy New Year, PA forums!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I hope 2018 can give me a much-needed lift

Maybe a couple new things to look forward to

Possibly even a new assignment

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I just ate like six giant sugar cookies. Goddammit, This won't end well.

New Years resolution is now officially NO MORE SUGAR once and for all.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Watching Zootopia with Mrs Rhesus and Rhesister in Law, eating coconut shrimp and drinking prosecco cocktails

Plans for 2018 include maybe finding a house, but that would involve Mrs Rhesus staying with the job she hates for the permanent contract, so I kind of hope that's a 2019 thing and she gets a new job

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Getting recognized (on the internet) for music is the thing I have resolved to do. Not super-duper famous, just like... I dunno. Validation I'm doing the right thing for myself.

As for tonight, I'd get drunk but that makes me all confrontational and shit. So I'll probably eat a lot of tacos.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tonight for new years I'm having a game night with family and friends. Probably not drinking too much, but after a week with my in-laws in buffalo I'm going to smoke my face off.

I've spent the last week putting on the weight I'm going to lose this year (food in buffalo is like unfairly delicious)

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I hope 2018 can give me a much-needed lift

Maybe a couple new things to look forward to

Possibly even a new assignment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhu3NTOHz-M

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m honestly still not sure if I’m going to Manhattan or Hoboken. No ticket, so I’m avoiding the most populous areas and just going to a dive bar. Most likely will be going to Manhattan - maaaybe Hoboken after midnight.

But right now I’m napping.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Home. Alone. (Well, apart from the cats.) Don't want to be, but frankly it's better than being with just a bunch of strangers and feeling even lonelier in a crowd. Which appears to be my only other option at the moment. Woo.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Similar situation and sentiments as Jazz over here. (Well, turtles instead of cats). Best wishes to all.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Similar situation and sentiments as Jazz over here. (Well, turtles instead of cats). Best wishes to all.

:bro:

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Happy Dog Year, you people.

In 2017 I got marriaged to a fantastic and beautiful American woman, earned the biggest paycheck of my life, reached my goal of having more than 30 thousand USD on my bank account, bought a Switch, played some games, regained my hope in (parts of) the US and got a pretty great apartment less than 30 minutes from my workplace.

In 2018 my wife will come to live with me in Sweden so she can become a citizen in a few years. I plan on saving up more money, do some travel, get to know what it's like to live with a dog and try to contribute more to civil society. And read more books.

I'm also going to turn 30. Jeepers.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Happy Dog Year, you people.

In 2017 I got marriaged to a fantastic and beautiful American woman, earned the biggest paycheck of my life, reached my goal of having more than 30 thousand USD on my bank account, bought a Switch, played some games, regained my hope in (parts of) the US and got a pretty great apartment less than 30 minutes from my workplace.

In 2018 my wife will come to live with me in Sweden so she can become a citizen in a few years. I plan on saving up more money, do some travel, get to know what it's like to live with a dog and try to contribute more to civil society. And read more books.

I'm also going to turn 30. Jeepers.

wow, a Switch cost almost as much as one of those Nintendo Classic consoles.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I got a mini-SNES from one of my friends as a wedding present. I have better friends than I deserve I think.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Feeling super bummed this new year's eve. But tomorrow is a new day. Hope every one else has a great time tonight!!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I am currently playing through Splinter Cell 3 tonight.

OFj74nq.jpg

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Jury is still out on if 2017 improved on 2016, but 2018 is shaping up to be better than either, based on one data point. That makes a trend, right?

• Options
    It’s fucking freezing up here (13-14 F). I just went out for Starbucks but they closed already.

I contemplated skipping going out today. But I’ve done that before and felt very, very retroactively sad about it. Not FOMO - more like I felt I was too lazy to do anything and that was a bad feeling. I can be lazy any other day of the year. Note: These are my own personal feelings about my own life, I don’t think there is anything wrong with not going out on NYE so please do not take it that way.

Anyway, 2017 was pretty terrible all-around for me. I’ve stopped talking to dozens of people. Friends that I thought were friends but really weren’t. Friends that really were friends but I lost as friends due to their fault, my fault, or some combination of both. Split with the girl I was dating. Found out that my previous long term relationship got married a month after reaching out to me to hang out for god knows what purpose. Poor monetary decisions. Unfulfilling, stressful year at work. Didn’t see my family as much as I could and should have. The collapse of my delusions as to what I thought America was becoming and subsequently the collapse of pride I had in my country and countrymen. And just general anger at myself and everyone and everything.

So I’m going out because fuck it. I wasn’t to say goodbye to the past and welcome the future. And I want to do it at a semi-random dive bar because I want to minimize socializing with people I already know. What better way to end a 2017 filled with shitty people than meeting new ones?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm working on a new grant next year, and trying to put out two manuscripts in January, because 2018 was...not very productive.

Also hoping to hear back from a few job applications.

Tonight, though, I'm going to a dinner party with one of the faculty members on the current grant I'm working on. I've been kind of mentoring her son a bit, so I've been promised fancy French food for a while and I'm going to cash in.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I am currently playing through Splinter Cell 3 tonight.

OFj74nq.jpg
    How do you play video games by touching your mouth?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Plan for tonight is just to head over to one of my wife’s friend’s house for dinner, drinks, and probably card games (Cards against humanity). Not looking forward to it as the host’s husband is loud and obnoxious. I’d rather go out to a bar, and I typically hate going out to bars except on New Years and Halloween.

Hopes for the new year include finding a new job (that I like as much as my current job) that will allow us to move closer to our families, and hopefully getting my anxiety that popped up this year back under control.

• Options
    It's officially 2018 here now. Exchanged a few FB messages on the run-up and the actual time with my (I'm not (too) afraid to admit, at least to you lot) crush, so that was nice.

Best wishes to all of you guys!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Same resolution I make every year: Don't die

I've managed to keep it so far. Here's to new endings and new beginnings.

0kxbbe35lmix.jpg

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Dinner with parents, who just helped me complete a move to a new apartment for a second year in a row.

2018 goals: 1 job for the whole year. Everything else is just gravy.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk8iGMAFsiM

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm gonna hang out for a bit with the people I see once a year when I'm back in town for the holidays.

Not really a party person. So no drinking. Maybe we will watch dumb youtube videos and play Cards Against Humanity.

2018 will be gym, gym, gym. I need to do an amateur muay thai fight before I turn 30.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    ... I dunno if it's just my area, but tonight really felt like a night where nobody actually wanted to celebrate New Year's Eve? Like, normally it takes about two hours to get a cab anywhere on NYE. It is a God damn struggle.

But tonight it was easy. They just showed up. I didn't hear about any huge parties happening amongst my circle of friends, either.

Kind of have the feeling that a lot of people just wanted 2017 to die an ignominious death.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Remember when we said 2016 was he worst guys ?

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

We were so young. So innocent. Can't wait to see how 2018 lowers the bar even further!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

2016: the year all your favs died

2017: the year all your favs turned out to be sex pests and you just wished they'd died.

• Options

That game was awesome. When it worked.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The second half of this year was really good for me mental-health-wise, even though in the first half of this year i kind of lost a friend to ideology and it still feels like politically the entire world is destroying itself. I'm hoping to keep my own inner growth and healing growing into the new year, and also continue my (successful!) 2017 resolution of really ramping up my own artistic output.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think I've gotten to the point where new years seems like a farce, and everything is one big continual cyclical slog.

But I mean, the idea of New Years is a hopeful one, so maybe I should focus on that? Humans are defined by ideas, after all... and a little positivity couldn't hurt after the last 12 months of horror.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

That game was awesome. When it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oerGRTrhwV4

• Options
    I hit my milestone before the year ended!

4_A3_D3_EAE-6_DA0-4_BCF-_B70_F-28_D1_B5_D21_E38.png

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I think I've gotten to the point where new years seems like a farce, and everything is one big continual cyclical slog.

But I mean, the idea of New Years is a hopeful one, so maybe I should focus on that? Humans are defined by ideas, after all... and a little positivity couldn't hurt after the last 12 months of horror.

I mean, it's totally symbolic, but like you say, that's how human brains work. Having a big culturally accepted checkpoint that's all about resetting and renewal can be handy, if you want that. Alternatively, it's an opportunity to get drunk and give the past year the big middle finger.

Getting in the mindset that time is a grinding, cyclical slog may feel more cynically true, but it can also make you feel more trapped than is healthy.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean, it's totally symbolic, but like you say, that's how human brains work. Having a big culturally accepted checkpoint that's all about resetting and renewal can be handy, if you want that. Alternatively, it's an opportunity to get drunk and give the past year the big middle finger.

Getting in the mindset that time is a grinding, cyclical slog may feel more cynically true, but it can also make you feel more trapped than is healthy.

I suppose this is as right as it gets.

"Being Woke" is sometimes is a hopeless exercise in cynicism and can cause people to get petty and hopeless because they convince themselves of the futility of their existence on a larger scale.

I do have things I'm looking forward to next year. I think I'll focus my energy on improving there instead nihilism.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had a nice dinner with friends and pulled it together enough to have some wine and guess I will be out til midnight now despite a few days of being sick.

2017 was a challenging, but rewarding year.

Don’t get too cynical or too drunk.

• Options

I suppose this is as right as it gets.

"Being Woke" is sometimes is a hopeless exercise in cynicism and can cause people to get petty and hopeless because they convince themselves of the futility of their existence on a larger scale.

I do have things I'm looking forward to next year. I think I'll focus my energy on improving there instead nihilism.

Well put.

I'm beginning to learn there is an unironic truth hiding in "ignorance is bliss".

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I had a nice dinner with friends and pulled it together enough to have some wine and guess I will be out til midnight now despite a few days of being sick.

2017 was a challenging, but rewarding year.

Don’t get too cynical or too drunk.

Nah, won't be doing either.

Part of me trying to get back to a rhythm I can live with is getting back to getting up early. Like, 4:30 to 5. Part of that goes with going to bed before 10.

What better way to celebrate the new year than with renewed resolve towards a goal?