As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
One of my favorite discoveries from 2017 is this band called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Basically, imagine the nerdiest D&D dorks from Australia started a band with two drummers and they play everything from Sleep-esque metal to smooth elevator jazz. Just look at these fucks:

faaee6eff96c7d198320571e211e4601.jpg

They're also totally fucking prolific. In 2017, they released no less than five new albums. As the year begins anew and we make resolutions that we will later negotiate and/or break, we should strive to be 1/5 as productive.

Enjoy a sampler from those albums below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Z8sNAqKwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymSofaKXp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W2IKzL6TZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9QhRKIVlJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5C-ptDEoIk

Vanguard on

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    another day another dollar

by which I mean

I am being crushed under the system I'm forced to function

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    @Henroid
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I actually hate Neil deGrasse Tyson. Not like irony "haha I hate him he's so funny / right." I mean I think he's a piece of shit.

right

i'll bite

why
    All I ever see come out of him is like dunking on people having fun or enjoying things.

You have experienced very little of his media, then.

Watch this clip. 3:28 - 5:43 if you're in a hurry. This is why people are a fan of what this man is doing with his life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4pCl0MWNa0

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I will be releasing one PhD thesis instead of the five I was slated to release in 2018

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    thats pretty productive
    can i set my sights more modestly, like putting on pants every day

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    To start, it's about as environmentally unsustainable as possible. Everything is sent to build the recipe and nothing more, which isn't how most ingredients come, and all of it is packaged in tons of plastic baggies. The one time we tried it the bags of chicken opened and got the juice everywhere, effectively ruining the order.

It's also expensive. I understand they are negotiating a time vs. money thing, but I can't see a situation in which this makes sense for anyone besides those who can afford to eat out most nights but want the novel experience of cooking without really learning anything.

You are learning stuff though. You get recipe cards with the portions and instructions, you are heating up pans and timing things and working with utensils and doing kitchen things. If you wanted to, you could go to the store the following day and buy all the stuff from that card if you liked and make that meal every day for the rest of your life.

I am not going to say that its a good service (everything you said about the environment is on point, for instance), but there is a use case for it. That use case is generally 2 or more people who do not have a bunch of kitchen experience but want to learn how to cook a wide variety of things in order to increase their knowledge, and maybe do something fun with their partner. Then quitting the service because it is not sustainable.

If you already know how to shop and cook and have a wide variety of dishes you know how to make and you are comfortable in the kitchen its probably a bad fit for you.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @knitdan Dude that ass mousepad video was amazing.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I actually hate Neil deGrasse Tyson. Not like irony "haha I hate him he's so funny / right." I mean I think he's a piece of shit.

right

i'll bite

why
    All I ever see come out of him is like dunking on people having fun or enjoying things.

If all you ever see of him comes through Twitter, sure.

But if you've ever seen literally any of his live speaking engagements or listened to him on podcasts or watched Cosmos, he's effusive with such enthusiasm for astronomy and such optimism that it's clear he's just using Twitter to take the occasional potshot at human silliness.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    With hindsight, in 2018's first thread...

What was your 2017 Game of the Year and why?

For me, it's Pyre. Pyre is just an amazingly presented narrative that's remarkably stretchy and incredibly compelling. The rites were very hit and miss for people, but it hit for me. It was great. Not ideal, but still very good, worthy of the presentation, at any rate.

Basically, Pyre made me get shivers whenever I played it due to its aesthetics, music and art. A+ game.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    knitdan Dude that ass mousepad video was amazing.

I must've missed that. :\

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

right

i'll bite

why

But if you've ever seen literally any of his live speaking engagements or listened to him on podcasts or watched Cosmos, he's effusive with such enthusiasm for astronomy and such optimism that it's clear he's just using Twitter to take the occasional potshot at human silliness.
    Happiness and enjoying things with suspension of disbelief is not "silliness."

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

For me, it's Pyre. Pyre is just an amazingly presented narrative that's remarkably stretchy and incredibly compelling. The rites were very hit and miss for people, but it hit for me. It was great. Not ideal, but still very good, worthy of the presentation, at any rate.

Basically, Pyre made me get shivers whenever I played it due to its aesthetics, music and art. A+ game.

near a tomato obviously

best robot butt

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

I honestly wasn't sure if it was a mousepad or a sex toy because it seemed about 2-3 times the size of most cushioned mousepads

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I enjoy tarot readings and New Years and also Neil degrade Tyson

Fight me!

*jumps in imaginary mosh pit*

I must've missed that. :\

check twitter now

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i guess the music and characters and story were okay too

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've become painfully aware over the last month or so how much shitting-on-enjoyment happens on the internet. It'd be one thing if it was harmful enjoyment, like a bully getting their kicks.

But across the net there's so much "I like this thing" and people jumping out to be contrarian and fucking hell why isn't happiness allowed? I get that everyone is fucking miserable about political shit but try to direct that shit where it's deserved, don't take it out on the people surrounding you.

So yeah. That Tyson tweet pushes on all that for me and other things he's said have had the same effect. WHAT A COOL GUY I could give a shit for his other work because another part of him is invested in this crap-ass behavior.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don’t mean to speak for Tav but you don’t have to be super attached to NDT to find that sort of phrasing jarring. ‘I genuinely hate that piece of shit’ made me go uh what? And I don’t care about ndt at all

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    hm Jan 1, start period

as the year renews, so, too, do I

and the moon is full hm...

I feel like I should get magic blood powers or something

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid, it’s not like dunk on people on Twitter is all Tyson does. You’re not completely unaware of his sideline as a scienceman.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I didn't actually play that many released-in-2017 games but Nier Automata blew me the fuck away

The ending was perfect in absolutely every way

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Feral wrote: »

right

i'll bite

why

Happiness and enjoying things with suspension of disbelief is not "silliness."

You're missing the entire point of my post.

You're looking at a handful of NDT tweets out of context, judging them remarkably uncharitably, and creating an entire judgment of him ("he's a piece of shit") from that.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

I guess there must be people who hate Stephen Hawking purely because he’s a regular guest star on The Big Bang Theory as well.

That piece of shit.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Nier Automata is the GotY

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    hm Jan 1, start period

as the year renews, so, too, do I

and the moon is full hm...

I feel like I should get magic blood powers or something

as i understand it from vague memories of watching vampire hunter D in high school i think it means you are safe from vampires

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I’ve spent 36 hours so far in the company and arms of Hahnsboo. It’s been real and wonderful and awesome, the entire time. It was fun to share New Year’s with her and celebrate a bunch of traditions together.

We’re at a movie viewing right now with mutual friends, then we’ll separate briefly for some work related things, but we’re back together for dinner. Things are going great!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the internet is so weird

one day I'd never seen a bad word about NDT, then I saw one thing on twitter and suddenly boom everyone has turned a corner

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I didn’t play many games in 2017 but my favorite was the new Wolfenstein

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    bogart, something about your av's expression and shoulder position makes it look like it could kind of be like this:

vroldw7n56lb.png

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    edited January 2018
    knitdan wrote: »

I honestly wasn't sure if it was a mousepad or a sex toy because it seemed about 2-3 times the size of most cushioned mousepads

Size 47 x 62 x 9 cm
    yeah its HUUUUUGE

good lord its 9lbs

bloodyroarxx on
    Just kidding, you've all been part of an experiment about celebrities.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don’t mean to speak for Tav but you don’t have to be super attached to NDT to find that sort of phrasing jarring. ‘I genuinely hate that piece of shit’ made me go uh what? And I don’t care about ndt at all

Honestly I was wondering if there was something I was unaware of

Size 47 x 62 x 9 cm
    yeah its HUUUUUGE

Thank you, thank you

I’m just glad god chose this for me

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Nier Automata is the GotY

It’s definitely my 2018 goty

Right? I genuinely hate so few things - cyanide gas in my living environment? Hate that shit. Same goes for methane, and too much carbon dioxide / monoxide. Not a big fan of being poisoned, mostly.

But, like ... everything else, ever? Falls on the scale from "love" to "displeased with".

Hate is a pretty strong word!

Oh! Being gutted like a fish. I would hate that experience, I can already tell. Some may call me close-minded, I've never even experienced it! But you know when you can just tell that you really won't enjoy even one second of something? That's being gutted like a fish for me.

I've become painfully aware over the last month or so how much shitting-on-enjoyment happens on the internet. It'd be one thing if it was harmful enjoyment, like a bully getting their kicks.

Have you considered...

Have you considered that some of us enjoy NDT here?

You could have said, to begin with, "Regardless of what else NDT does, I wish he wouldn't make fun of people on Twitter."

Instead you're all "he's a piece of shit and I don't care what good stuff he does!"

That kind of hyperbole in a rant against negativity on the Internet... well, it isn't exactly solving the problem you've identified, now is it?

The slight smirk of a man who knows he’s faster on the draw.

Size 47 x 62 x 9 cm
    yeah its HUUUUUGE

Thank you, thank you

I’m just glad god chose this for me

Gotta admit, I'm impressed.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I’ve had a soft spot for NDT since Kurt Metzger described him as THE BLACK KING OF PLANETS

I fucken love Kurt what a goof

Oh wow it was also $400

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I feel the same. I didn't play very many different/new games, but even if I had, Pyre probably would still remain my game of the year. The visuals, writing, gameplay, pacing, music...everything was not just good, but great. A fantastically well-crafted, emotional, and fun game.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.