As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I had my first session of Star Trek Adventures for my group of 6.

I ran the tutorial scenario about de-evolving scientists in a remote science outpost.
    They managed to solve the main problems (Fixing the Runabout, Stopping the de-evolution) admirably, but they failed the 3rd objective to find the cure for Ilyan Syndrome. It all came down to the final ingredient for the cure. A security guy with a broken arm and a Vulcan First Officer vs. a Xerxesian Scaly Rabbit. A meter long monstrosity with sharp teeth. After multiple times, they failed to capture it in time before the Ion storm and had to evacuate with cured survivors.

Very fun first adventure and it felt like a Star Trek episode.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm trying to run a Discord PbP 5e game, but in our real world group our campaign I'm a player in has one session left. It's sort of informally on me to DM next.

On one hand, this is my chance to finally get people to try Spellbound Kingdoms because I adore the concept - but I also don't know it as well as 5e. Also, I have Dungeon World and Fellowship (need to really compare those two) that are interesting, and I just ordered the Goblin Quest softcover.

At the end of the day I may end up doing 5e because it takes the least prep for me, maybe. I'm struggling here.

Edit: Shoot, I can just do ICRPG. It's even simpler than 5e and I'm even less worried about balance or survival then.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    New project. Ghostbusters for Genesys.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I have your address from Secret Santa - omw to roll some characters
    jk

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • RendRend Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      MagicPrime wrote: »

I have your address from Secret Santa - omw to roll some characters
      jk

We know you're kidding
      you don't roll for stats in Genesys, that would be weird and awkward

I rarely roll for stats, I just say it as a phrase for making new characters :bigfrown:

So I started creating my Genesys world (the Shadowrun-esque but in a more realistic space world like The Expanse)

The Races: Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Cyborg (Like SR cyberware stuff), and Gen-Engineered Clones
        Career: Augurs (my casters), Heralds (only ones who can use guns), Soldier, Captain, Hacker, Rigger/Pilot, Whisper (rogue)

The atmosphere I'm playing around with is a universe where guns are heavily regulated and getting caught with one is game over unless they're a herald. Others will use more modern versions of fantasy weaponry. In my world, I think I'd like one herald (ex-herald) on the team that run corporate espionage.

I've written up some stuff, but mostly in theory crafting stages.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
          I have so many ideas for a pseudo-fantasy/steampunk campaign but getting them down on paper is hard. And its mostly world-crafting & deciding which fluff from my inspiration sources I am going to steal outright and which ones are proper inspiration.

I really am procrastinating on doing to the work put in the crunch.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
          edited January 2018
          So I started creating my Genesys world (the Shadowrun-esque but in a more realistic space world like The Expanse)

The Races: Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Cyborg (Like SR cyberware stuff), and Gen-Engineered Clones
          Career: Augurs (my casters), Heralds (only ones who can use guns), Soldier, Captain, Hacker, Rigger/Pilot, Whisper (rogue)

The atmosphere I'm playing around with is a universe where guns are heavily regulated and getting caught with one is game over unless they're a herald. Others will use more modern versions of fantasy weaponry. In my world, I think I'd like one herald (ex-herald) on the team that run corporate espionage.

I’m totally intrigued as to the soldier/herald relationship in this context. What do professional state militaries fight with if not guns?

italianranma on
          飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
          I figured state militaries would be using guns. This context is just the non-military world where the soldier class is just a combat class on a runner team. I don't foresee much military interaction; just private corps. Heralds I guess would be a non-military highly specialized law enforcement. Of course I'm only about 4 hours into making this world haha

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
            I want a helping of what you’re serving sir!

With a name like herald may I suggest that there is some global religion that exists outside the context of states and corporate governments, and somehow has extra jurisdiction? Maybe their religion serves whatever power ushered in your world’s version of The Awakening?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
            Dammit! Those are cool ideas! Thanks!

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
              edited January 2018
              Can HBO sue me if I straight up put the Deadwood version of Calamity Jane minus her cowardice in Dark Heresy as a Harakoni bounty hunter?

Especially if that radioshow idea ever actually gets off the ground?

Edit: the players were cool with her drunkenly stumbling her way inside their autocarriage trunk and helping them to get her bounty and do a favor for the underhive crimelotd.

Her name is “Yankee” Rose, because bandits tried to hang her and she has a rope burn scar around her neck and her throat is messed up.

Kadoken on
            • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
              Anybody check out Stars Without Number revised? I'm about a third through, it seems better than I remember, but I don't remember it that well.

Much, much better layout.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
              Carnarvon wrote: »
              Anybody check out Stars Without Number revised? I'm about a third through, it seems better than I remember, but I don't remember it that well.

I'm waiting for my hard copy to show up. I Kickstarted it day one because Godbound was soooo good and I love Swan Song.

What I've seen of Revised I like.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
              admanb wrote: »
              Carnarvon wrote: »

I'm waiting for my hard copy to show up. I Kickstarted it day one because Godbound was soooo good and I love Swan Song.

What I've seen of Revised I like.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of Godbound. I'll have to pick that up.

I'm about 40% through, getting into ship building and combat. General foot combat looks about the same, but space battles seem to be completely overhauled and reminds me very much of star trek (in a good way). There's five departments, Captain, Comms, Bridge, Engineering, and Gunnery, as well as a grouping of generic actions. Each department has 3 different actions they can take (Evasive Maneuvers, Fire All Guns, Boost Engines), and each one costs two or so Command points. The captain has an action that gives two command points, there's a generic action that gives one, and another generic that lets you risk a DC9 skill test to gain 2+ command points.

Given a party of four, each member would crew one position, and one person would crew two. A person crewing two positions can choose from either one to use actions, and the unused department gives one command point for free (allowing a single person to crew a ship, giving him 4 command points each turn). So, the Captain can say "Direct auxiliary power to main guns!" to give the Gunnery two free command points, the engineer can use Above and Beyond to make a skill test to say "I don't know if the engine can take it captain!" and gain another 3 points on a success, or -1 on a fail. Comms and Bridge can then use Do Your Duty for 1 each, and now the Gunnery has 7 command points to Fire All Guns twice, or use Target Systems to try to take out the enemy ship's guns or drive core.

The Captain also has the ability to negate any successful hit against it and take a Crisis instead. Crises examples are Crew Lost (red shirts get spaced, or a PC risks being mortally wounded if there aren't any red shirts), Hull Breach, and System Damage. Crises are actually worse than taking damage, but any player can use the Deal with a Crisis action to nullify most of the effects of them.

Very thematic and cinematic, lots of risks and cool choices. It looks like loads of fun.

Back to my world: Using an solar system-wide anti-magic religion, the Herald class comes from a special religious law enforcement that hunts magic users. Kind of means a herald in the group is an EX-herald but I think we can make it work. Blade Runners for mages?

How does dual wielding work in Genesys? I'm reading pg 108 in the book and it's just an activation with advantage? And if both weapons are melee, that means the difficult remains two since you take higher of each?

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
                  I watched the Magic Missiles at Tennhauser Gate...

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
                • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
                  persona4celestia.jpg
                  COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
                • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
                  Fuselage wrote: »
                  I watched the Magic Missiles at Tennhauser Gate...

BLADE RUNNER!!!

I shit you not, I have been bothered by not catching that reference for a full 24 hours...

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
                  PMAvers wrote: »

That book is gonna be hefty - it's more expensive than the core Genesys book!

But we knew this one was coming. They were working on something like this, akin to the "Worlds of Android" and "Investigators of Arkham" books, and then decided to make it a full on Genesys supplement. Which is awesome. The overall world of Terrinoth is one I've only caught glimpses of.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
                • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
                  From that promo page:
                  For hundreds of years, Terrinoth slipped into gloom and decay. But heroes arise just when their lands need them the most. Courageous adventurers brave the ruins of past ages and the foul creatures within to uncover the treasures of their ancestors. The Daqan Barons, inheritors of the ancient kingdoms, rebuild their walls and muster their armies, while the wizards of Greyhaven gather runes of power to awaken guardians of stone and steel. These preparations come none too soon, for the ancient enemies of the lawful races are stirring again, and Terrinoth needs champions of courage and cunning to stand against the rising darkness.

Either a reference to actual alignment crap, or perhaps just terrible writing - either way "lawful races" just is a kick to the balls of my enthusiasm

Sterica wrote: »
                  I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
                  Edcrab's Exigency RPG
                • SleepSleep Registered User regular
                  edited January 2018
                  I've found myself less and less compelled by wholly evil races. Like I'm fine with an insular singular community of orcs that do evil shit for one reason or another. I just don't like the idea of the characters being able to see an orc and just immediately assume it's evil because it is an orc. Like I want people to have to identify which faction of orc this is before they just ambush it.

I might just like orcs though

Sleep on
                • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
                  I dislike the whole concept of "X race is like this" thing. Sure, you might be able to say Elves from this area commonly believe this but an elf from one place is going to be completely different from the Elves of another area, there might be Elves that don't think they are better than others races and so on.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
                  Alignment is not my cup of tea, but Alignment as a Racial Feature is excruciatingly lazy storytelling

When you're not there for the storytelling (arcade shooter or boardgame or the like), yeah I don't care

But I don't come to roleplay for you just to tell me that "All X are Evil". If you can't give me "All X Who Believe Y Are Evil" at the very least, then I'm bored and frustrated with your setting

Sterica wrote: »
                  I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
                  Edcrab's Exigency RPG
                • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
                  I've been thinking about using Genesys to do an Android: Netrunner setting side project done as a text based thing similar to the excellent why I run tutorial for Netrunner since I think that would be thematic as fuck but I find the hacking rules kind of lackluster. I guess my experience with the card game might be overweighting how I feel about hacking in the context of the actual universe, but it seems so boring...just another skill check. There's no system that accounts for programs and icebreakers and stuff like that, having a rig is +1 success which is just kind of boring.

I might retheme magic into being hacking and fighting against ice/the sysop as almost a type of combat. Having different skills associated with different hacking actions would make characters a little more multifaceted. A character could be very good at using fracters against barriers, avoiding net damage, and using DDoS attacks, but gets crushed by sentries and traces. Maybe even a whole second set of attributes used while jacked in.

Making it into a different form of combat may just end up being like why bother though? Maybe it should be more interesting somehow. I just want to bring some of the feel/mechanics of the card game into it. Writing new programs to help with specific things, making tough decisions to boost strength and stuff. I might just use The Sprawl but my group is familiar with Star Wars so it'd be easier to get them on board. Anyone have thoughts/experience adapting this mechanically?

I dislike the whole concept of "X race is like this" thing. Sure, you might be able to say Elves from this area commonly believe this but an elf from one place is going to be completely different from the Elves of another area, there might be Elves that don't think they are better than others races and so on.

I only have one thing like this in my setting: almost all elven communities use necromancy. They all treat the traditions and responsibilities a bit different like the northern high elves always post a light cleric next to the death cleric to ensure a balance and to ensure the necromancer doesn't fall off the deep end. The death clerics are there as caretakers for the dead ready to bring them back to defend their kingdoms even in death. The drow of the southern rain forest use it defensively, they mainly have oathbreaker paladins (not actually oath breakers but thats the mechanics in use). The southern rain forest is plagued by undead so the oathbreakers are there to rebuke the wild undead and put them to work for their disparate tribes.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
                  edited January 2018
                  Ringo wrote: »
                  From that promo page:
                  For hundreds of years, Terrinoth slipped into gloom and decay. But heroes arise just when their lands need them the most. Courageous adventurers brave the ruins of past ages and the foul creatures within to uncover the treasures of their ancestors. The Daqan Barons, inheritors of the ancient kingdoms, rebuild their walls and muster their armies, while the wizards of Greyhaven gather runes of power to awaken guardians of stone and steel. These preparations come none too soon, for the ancient enemies of the lawful races are stirring again, and Terrinoth needs champions of courage and cunning to stand against the rising darkness.

Either a reference to actual alignment crap, or perhaps just terrible writing - either way "lawful races" just is a kick to the balls of my enthusiasm

If memory serves there's three big bads of that setting.

Waiqur the Undying's (I probably spelled that wrong) undead legions.
                  The demonic Locust Horde (who are pretty aptly named, murdering and consuming everything in their path).
                  Dragons (because dragons are assholes).

I could see it kind of more of a Order vs. Chaos kind of way. Heck, if I remember correctly the orcs of the setting are fairly chill. They're more shamanistic/nomadic.

PMAvers on
                  persona4celestia.jpg
                  COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
                • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
                  You know sometimes I'm down for a classic Good Guys vs Bad Guys setting. I just don't always have the energy for nuance when I want to blow up some monsters with a fireball.

edited January 2018
                  Denada wrote: »
                  You know sometimes I'm down for a classic Good Guys vs Bad Guys setting. I just don't always have the energy for nuance when I want to blow up some monsters with a fireball.

Can still definitely feel this though. Sometimes you just gotta have some good old irredeemable trollocs and fades. Like I'm not going to give nothics a rich history.

I think it really comes down to if a player could plausibly come from the species. Like in the case of orcs you could ostensibly have a half orc that comes from an orc community, and I don't like that necessarily meaning they come from an evil culture.

Sleep on
                • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
                  edited January 2018
                  So Genesys has inspired me to build my own setting. The rules are so modular and can cover a wide range of scenarios and building races and archetypes and skills or whatever is super easy.

I don't have a name yet, but it's a sf/opera where humanity gave up on space travel and instead focused all its scientific and technological acumen on itself--genetics, bionics, the whole bit. Neuro-central processing units, nanites in the bloodstream, Matrix-style spinal jacks, that kind of thing. Think Blade Runner and Mass Effect with some more of the pulpy action you'd get from an Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

Instead of having a bunch of careers, I'm using only three, each of which has a really broad array of skills so they can fit a wide variety of roles. There's some crossover, but each also has one or two skills that the other two do not. So like, the Talky-y guy has Negotiation, but the Meat-y guy and Nimble-y guy can't get that as a career skill.

The thing that differentiates characters is something I'm calling the Cipher. Technologically speaking, I'm purposefully vague about what a Cipher is. But in general, it is a sum of genetic, mechanical, and neurological enhancements that allow characters to do extraordinary things. But that admixture of technology has created something that is not exactly AI, but has an unconscious impact on the character. It can push people to extreme heights, but if its "will" is not adhered to/controlled/whatever, it can have negative consequences. This is more of a roleplaying thing, like Obligation or Morality in SWRPG, but there are some mechanical effects as well.

Mechanically, the Cipher is four things: a benefit, a drawback, bonus career skills, and a series of [CHOOSE ONE] talents. So for example:
                  [Cipher] Nanomolecular printer- you can control the nanomachines in your blood and skin to create simple Silhouette 0 objects. The objects exist for the duration of the Encounter or Scene before they break down.

Special Ability: you can spend 1 point of Strain to constitute a weapon as a maneuver with the following statistics: [Damage +2; Crit 3; Engaged; Encum 1; Pierce 1, Reinforced]. The weapon uses the [Melee] skill and lasts for the duration of the Encounter or Scene.

Bonus Career Skills: Mechanics, Medicine, Melee

Talents: [MAY ONLY SELECT ONE PER TIER]

Tier 1: Option 1 - [You constitute your weapon as an incidental action and no longer spend Strain to do so] OR Option 2 - [you can create objects that can assist you in the development, management and repair of mechanical devices. Spend 1 strain to gain (1 boost die) to all Mechanics checks for the duration of the Scene] OR Option 3 - [Your Silhouette 0 objects can be used as improvised thrown weapons with the following statistics: (Damage 2; Crit 4; Short; Encum 1; Limited Ammo 1). They use the [Ranged (Light)] skill.]

Tier 2: etc. etc.

Obviously not necessarily balanced or anything, these are just initial ideas. But that's the thing.

I'm feeling good about this. I feel like I hit a point where some of the themes and mechanics are lining up and that feels really cool.

GoodKingJayIII on
                  Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
                • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
                  *adds new life goal to list*
                  Yeah, running a living Star Wars campaign with multiple groups during the Galactic Civil War. That sounds awesome. If only I had infinite time.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
                • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
                  edited January 2018
                  Are there any *good* city name generators out there? I'm looking for something that generates fantasy town names slightly better than "Scrabster" and "Arkmunster".

jdarksun on
                • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
                  jdarksun wrote: »
                  Are there any *good* city name generators out there? I'm looking for something that generates fantasy town names slightly better than "Scrabster" and "Arkmunster".

Think about the history of the city. Was there a notable founder or conqueror that ruled it? Maybe its name is a holdover from a previous age. Maybe its name is tied to what makes the city notable in terms of trade or specialty.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
                  DarkPrimus wrote: »
                  Think about the history of the city. Was there a notable founder or conqueror that ruled it? Maybe its name is a holdover from a previous age. Maybe its name is tied to what makes the city notable in terms of trade or specialty.
                  But there are 76 of them :lol:

I meant town and villages, places less likely to draw extended stays etc. Like if I need to come up with a farming community's name on the fly.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
                  DarkPrimus wrote: »
                  But there are 76 of them :lol:

I meant town and villages, places less likely to draw extended stays etc. Like if I need to come up with a farming community's name on the fly.

Physical properties are a good bet for that, then. As are names of important families or tradescraft.

Like, there's a little town by a river bend. It has elm trees nearby. It's called Elm's Bend.

The hamlet was first settled by some Dwarven smiths, so it's named after them. Ironheart.

The place is just known for good farmland. It's called Bountiful Harvest.

• RendRend Registered User regular
                  The place buys a lot of cheese from overseas merchants. It's called Arkmunster

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
                  Arkmunster is the best city name

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
                • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
                  Rend wrote: »
                  Rend wrote: »

From merchants who travel the seas with their livestock, making and aging the cheese by... boat...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain