As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, we have all encountered news stories that leave us dumbfounded and amazed at how weird our world can be. Whether silly or heartwarming, these stories are the sort that make you take a step back. Stories like:

A man beating up an ATM for giving too much money:

Texas bringing "right to bear arms" to an SCA level with open carry of long blades:
On Friday, Texans will legally be allowed to carry blades longer than 5.5 inches in most — but not all — places.

This includes openly carrying the famous Jim Bowie knife, as well as daggers, dirks, throwing knives, stilettos, poniards, swords, machetes and Spears.

And What We Did To Mr. Happy, 2017 Edition (may be NSFW, NSFB).

So come join us in keeping 2018 weird.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ohio liquor stores discounting heavily on questionable booze:
    Starting Jan. 1, 2018, retailers across the state that sell high-powered spirits will offer closeout prices on nearly 700 products, ranging from cheap vodka to $100-plus single-malt scotch. The discounts will amount to 25 to 40 percent off the regular retail price.

Officials at the Ohio Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control have dubbed the discounts the “Last Call” campaign, and it does have its caveats.

Not every product that is being discounted will be available at every liquor store — in fact, far from it. Customers won’t be able to order any of these closeout items because the state says those products will not be restocked. If you find it, you can buy it, for the discounted price. You might want to think of it as a scavenger hunt.

On one hand, cheap booze. On the other hand, "booze" is being used liberally here:
    AFTERSHOCK $19.99 $11.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ABSOLUT CILANTRO $17.99 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ACHAIA CLS OUZO $16.10 $9.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ABSOLUT GRAPEVINE $17.99 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ABSOLUT WILD TEA $17.99 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ABSOLUT KURANT $17.95 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

DISARONNO $13.56 $8.49 375 mL (Pint)

ABSOLUT HIBISKUS $17.99 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

AGAVALES GLD $15.09 $9.49 750 mL (Fifth)

ABSOLUT ORIENT APPLE $17.99 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ALIZE VS $17.95 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ABSOLUT 100 $11.74 $7.49 375 mL (Pint)

ABSOLUT 100 $22.65 $13.99 750 mL (Fifth)

EARLY TIMES $10.23 $6.49 1 Liter

ADMIRAL NELSON $6.99 $5.49 750 mL (Fifth)

ECHO SPRING $8.21 $5.99 750 mL (Fifth)

SEAGRAMS VO $7.99 $5.99 375 mL (Pint)

ADMIRAL NELSON CHERRY $6.99 $5.49 750 mL (Fifth)

ALBERTA RYE $27.98 $16.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ANTICA SAMBUCA $16.06 $9.99 750 mL (Fifth)

AQUI VAMOS BLANCO $10.10 $6.49 1 Liter

APPLETON WHITE $14.20 $8.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ARDBEG ALLIGATOR $87.56 $52.99 750 mL (Fifth)

ARDBEG AURIVERDES $91.99 $55.49 750 mL (Fifth)

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    ABSOLUT CILANTRO

Fucking what?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    ABSOLUT CILANTRO

Fucking what?

Put a bar of Dial in some cheap vodka, you'll get the same effect.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It beat out Absolut Greasetrap and Absolut Plantain, so it cant be too bad

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Absolut Greasetrap is the name of my new indie band

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    ABSOLUT CILANTRO

Fucking what?

The list should be titled "Cheap stuff you buy in college to get drunk". As many of those names are bringing up some very fuzzy memories...

• BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    ABSOLUT CILANTRO

Fucking what?

The list should be titled "Cheap stuff you buy in college to get drunk". As many of those names are bringing up some very fuzzy memories...

Absolut Cilantro in college would have been amazing. I could have fulfilled my dream of creating a salsa shot; Absolut Cilantro, tequila and Bloody Mary mix.

BirdsWay wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    ABSOLUT CILANTRO

Fucking what?

Absolut Cilantro in college would have been amazing. I could have fulfilled my dream of creating a salsa shot; Absolut Cilantro, tequila and Bloody Mary mix.

What's stopping you now?

• BirdsWayBirdsWay Registered User regular
    What's stopping you now?

The fear that my taste buds will openly revolt , seize control of motor function, and bludgeon their host to death.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Noooooo! As an Ohio resident whose only hard liquor drink is Tullamore Dew I'm about ready to flip out.

Also, apparently I'm one of the lucky mutants for whom cilantro tastes like straight up gasoline.

Fleeb on
    Well, here's something:
    NUTLIQUOR PEANUT BUTTER $17.94 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

And what is NutLiquor?
    NutLiquor is the world's first peanut butter flavored vodka. Unlike many flavored vodkas, NutLiquor is blended to be enjoyed neat, giving a great peanut butter taste without any "rubbing alcohol burn" finish

We also have Chicken Cock, for when Fireball would be too pretentious.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    What were you doing that lead to you entering Nutliquor on Google?

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    What were you doing that lead to you entering Nutliquor on Google?

Nothing, jus saw the info posted in another thread on that list, and had to share.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the pun at least

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Well, here's something:
    NUTLIQUOR PEANUT BUTTER $17.94 $10.99 750 mL (Fifth)

And what is NutLiquor?
    NutLiquor is the world's first peanut butter flavored vodka. Unlike many flavored vodkas, NutLiquor is blended to be enjoyed neat, giving a great peanut butter taste without any "rubbing alcohol burn" finish

We also have Chicken Cock, for when Fireball would be too pretentious.

An effect also achieved by drinking any good vodka...

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hey, that amaretto ain't too bad.

The rest is a shitshow though, hehe

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sudden red signal causes driver to brake and get into collision. Red signal turns out to be a monkey's butt
    It seems the young female driver of a white Hyundai was approaching an intersection in Zunyi City, located in China's Guizhou Province. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until a flash of red on the traffic light pole caught the driver's eye. Reflexively she slammed on her brakes, causing a black sedan following close behind to crash into her car's back bumper.

Upon exiting their cars after the minor auto accident, the drivers found they were both uninjured and began to discuss the possible cause. The driver of the first car pointed to the intersection's traffic light pole where, lo and behold, a Golden Monkey sat with its not-so-demure, rosy-red derrière directed towards oncoming vehicles. Heh, and you thought YOUR buff booty could stop traffic!

Police investigating the accident determined that the monkey had lately escaped from a circus nearby. The circus's manager, evidently happy to have found his missing“employee”, gladly covered the cost of repairing both drivers' lightly damaged vehicles.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Noooooo! As an Ohio resident whose only hard liquor drink is Tullamore Dew I'm about ready to flip out.

Also, apparently I'm one of the lucky mutants for whom cilantro tastes like straight up gasoline.

Looks like its only Phoenix and the ten year, not regular Tullamore.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Sudden red signal causes driver to brake and get into collision. Red signal turns out to be a monkey's butt
    It seems the young female driver of a white Hyundai was approaching an intersection in Zunyi City, located in China's Guizhou Province. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until a flash of red on the traffic light pole caught the driver's eye. Reflexively she slammed on her brakes, causing a black sedan following close behind to crash into her car's back bumper.

Upon exiting their cars after the minor auto accident, the drivers found they were both uninjured and began to discuss the possible cause. The driver of the first car pointed to the intersection's traffic light pole where, lo and behold, a Golden Monkey sat with its not-so-demure, rosy-red derrière directed towards oncoming vehicles. Heh, and you thought YOUR buff booty could stop traffic!

Police investigating the accident determined that the monkey had lately escaped from a circus nearby. The circus's manager, evidently happy to have found his missing“employee”, gladly covered the cost of repairing both drivers' lightly damaged vehicles.

That reads like something out of a college comedy.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Or Just for Laughs Gags show reel.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski

Or Just for Laughs Gags show reel.

Maybe the monkey is a fan?

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited January 2018
    Plane takes off in 2018, lands in 2017:
    Hawaiian Airlines flight from Auckland, New Zealand, to Honolulu did just that on Sunday. At least six others did the same thing, but Hawaiian Airlines flight HA446 wasn’t supposed to be in the group at all, since it was originally scheduled to take off at 11:55 p.m. on Dec. 31. A ten-minute delay meant that it took off five minutes after midnight. The flight finally landed in Honolulu at 10:13 a.m. local time on New Year’s Eve—meaning that passengers had 14 hours or so to prepare how they were going to celebrate the new year a second time.

AngelHedgie on
    Also, apparently even birds want out of Detroit:
    A passenger named Shane Perry told the Post after an hour of sitting at the gate, there was no sign of the bird. The pilot stood in the aisle and waited. There was talk about moving to a different plane.

But with no bird in sight, the captain announced that it must have flown out. The flight took off before noon in Detroit, going smoothly for... a few minutes.

From the Post:
    He recalled the pilot telling the passengers: “We’re going to take off, but if I hear any chirping in the cockpit, I’ll turn around.”

“I took that as a joke,” Perry said. ...

Perry doesn’t think they were in the air more than five minutes before the bird made its second appearance. The Delta spokesman described the time as “shortly after takeoff.”

The bird was back, flying around the cockpit with the countless buttons and controls that keep all of those strangers sitting too closely to one another safely in the air. The plane turned around, making a loop around Detroit before landing where it took off just 34 minutes earlier.

Man leads cops on high speed chase, family gets him out of trouble
    Little Anastasia came into the world in a whirlwind. Her parents live in St. George, but planned to deliver the baby at MUSC in downtown Charleston. The baby decided to come about three weeks early, so her parents hit the gas on the interstate to speed up the hour long drive to the hospital.

The baby’s mother, Tiffani Von Glahn, says, “He was going about 90-95 and a police officer came up behind us to pull us over. And he was like, ‘Do you want me to stop?’ And I was like, ‘No don’t you stop’, because I felt her coming.”

Baby Anastasia’s parents were worried about not making it to the hospital in time because there was a chance of complications with the delivery.

Von Glahn says, “I was told she was a high risk pregnancy and the way she was sitting at the time, she would’ve gotten stuck and I would’ve had to have a C-section. So I was thinking there was no way I could have her naturally.”

Because the car was not pulling over for law enforcement, they switched gears thinking it was a car chase.

Von Glahn says, “I look back and there’s like 20 police cars, and they had the exits blocked off and everything. Eventually it got to where they had to box us in to stop us.”

They stopped the car in the middle of the interstate, at the Cosgrove Avenue exit. The cops sprang into action.

Von Glahn says, “They ended up putting him in handcuffs, just for safety reasons, because they were saying there are people out there that will fake having a pregnant wife.”

But baby Anastasia couldn’t wait any longer. With the help of police, she was born right there in the center of the interstate.

The baby’s father, Carl Alewine, says, “I’m sitting there, watching her born on the hood of the car, fireworks going off in the background because it’s New Year’s, and then they let me out of handcuffs, and the cops started clapping and congratulating us.”

The parents say once law enforcement realized what was happening, they handled it flawlessly.

Alewine says, “It happened so fast and the guy that delivered her was just there.”

Steam Profile
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Little Anastasia came into the world in a whirlwind. Her parents live in St. George, but planned to deliver the baby at MUSC in downtown Charleston. The baby decided to come about three weeks early, so her parents hit the gas on the interstate to speed up the hour long drive to the hospital.

The baby’s mother, Tiffani Von Glahn, says, “He was going about 90-95 and a police officer came up behind us to pull us over. And he was like, ‘Do you want me to stop?’ And I was like, ‘No don’t you stop’, because I felt her coming.”

Baby Anastasia’s parents were worried about not making it to the hospital in time because there was a chance of complications with the delivery.

Von Glahn says, “I was told she was a high risk pregnancy and the way she was sitting at the time, she would’ve gotten stuck and I would’ve had to have a C-section. So I was thinking there was no way I could have her naturally.”

Because the car was not pulling over for law enforcement, they switched gears thinking it was a car chase.

Von Glahn says, “I look back and there’s like 20 police cars, and they had the exits blocked off and everything. Eventually it got to where they had to box us in to stop us.”

They stopped the car in the middle of the interstate, at the Cosgrove Avenue exit. The cops sprang into action.

Von Glahn says, “They ended up putting him in handcuffs, just for safety reasons, because they were saying there are people out there that will fake having a pregnant wife.”

But baby Anastasia couldn’t wait any longer. With the help of police, she was born right there in the center of the interstate.

The baby’s father, Carl Alewine, says, “I’m sitting there, watching her born on the hood of the car, fireworks going off in the background because it’s New Year’s, and then they let me out of handcuffs, and the cops started clapping and congratulating us.”

The parents say once law enforcement realized what was happening, they handled it flawlessly.

Alewine says, “It happened so fast and the guy that delivered her was just there.”

Maybe its just the grinch / grump in me, but wtf are they being applauded for driving at unsafe speeds to give birth at their ‘preferred’ hospital?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Maybe its just the grinch / grump in me, but wtf are they being applauded for driving at unsafe speeds to give birth at their ‘preferred’ hospital?

High risk pregnancy so you go to the doctors who know your situation.

Also thanks to our shit healthcare industry, the one closer to them were probably out of network.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    In Europe (or elsewhere in the Commonwealth) I would have recommended them to stop. Over here the cops are usually very helpful, with stories like this not being that unusual.
    However, from what I can tell in the states it's a 50/50 that the cops are going to be absolute assholes (with worse odds if you're black or latino).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    What they SHOULD have done is called 911 and explained the situation while being followed.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    In Europe (or elsewhere in the Commonwealth) I would have recommended them to stop. Over here the cops are usually very helpful, with stories like this not being that unusual.
    However, from what I can tell in the states it's a 50/50 that the cops are going to be absolute assholes (with worse odds if you're black or latino).

At least no one was shot for no apparent reason

steam_sig.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

At least no one was shot for no apparent reason

In this case.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Doug Jones has been sworn in after figuring out where we'll draw the line on terrible candidates. With him were his wife, his openly gay son, and Mike Pence.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/doug-jones-gay-son-carson-gave-mike-pence-the-best-side-eye-of-2018
    Edit: Ok, that picture was way huger than I expected

His son has the second best shame eyes I've ever seen, and he turns them on Mike Pence with such burning power that I can feel it through the picture.

The best shame eyes I've ever seen belong to his mother, who appears to be telling him, "I told you to behave yourself or so help me God."

Hevach on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I was gonna say, Disaronno is on there

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.

It does depend on how one feels about amaretto though. For a long time I also had no idea what the hell Disaronno actually was because they ran commercials talking about using it in cocktails I wouldn't associate with amaretto.

Steam Profile
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

It does depend on how one feels about amaretto though. For a long time I also had no idea what the hell Disaronno actually was because they ran commercials talking about using it in cocktails I wouldn't associate with amaretto.

Is it not sweet almond gloop like all other amaretto?

Flight diverted after becoming literal shitshow:
    Passengers on a Hong Kong-bound flight from O'Hare International Airport made an unexpected landing in Alaska after a man made a mess in two of the lavatories on the plane.

United Airlines flight 895 was diverted to Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage, Alaska about 4:50 p.m. Alaska Standard Time, according to a spokesman for the airport's police.

The flight was forced to land after a man defecated and made a mess in two of the plane's lavatories, police said. He also took off a shirt he was wearing and tried to flush it down a toilet.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ted Stevens airport, and the guy messed up the plane's series of tubes. Priceless.

Bad news: Two youths carjack an 80 year old Baltimore councilwoman.

Gone Right: She's getting justice - by being their advocate and helping them turn their lives around:
    The weather wasn’t too cold that December morning, so Councilwoman Rochelle “Rikki” Spector put on a light jacket as she headed for her gold Buick.

Two teenage boys from Southwest Baltimore were in her Inner Harbor parking garage, cutting school and looking for cars to steal. They fixed their eyes on the 80-year-old Spector.

The attack was quick and it was violent.

As Spector got in her vehicle, the 13-year-old blocked her door from closing. The 15-year-old hit her in the face, hard.

“I was mad as hell,” Spector recalled recently. “They said, ‘You white bitch, give me your car.’ They punched me in the face. Threw me into a concrete pillar. I was screaming like crazy.”

Word of the attack and the subsequent arrests of the boys made evening newscasts and morning newspapers, and fueled more local anxiety. In a city besieged by violence, it seemed to show that no one, not even an octogenarian city official, was safe.

What’s less well known is this: Instead of seeking vengeance, Spector quietly decided to become the boys’ advocate.

She and a team of nonprofit workers, mentors, cooks and coaches, a group Spector has dubbed the “Good Samaritans,” have been working with the boys for months — during and after their time on house arrest — and say their grades, school attendance and attitude have shown marked improvements.

Though the boys are still works in progress, their supporters say, the teens are now emerging as leaders in the neighborhood, trying to teach others to stay out of trouble.

Last month, around the one-year anniversary of the December 2016 attack, Spector joined the older teen in front of a large audience at her Park Heights synagogue, where leaders from across the city presented him with an award for his progress.

The boy who had once punched Spector in the face now shyly tried to hide behind her from the view of the crowd.

New thread, new video of a bridge eating a red light running truck:

https://youtu.be/qxVQ7ZEG1RU

Steam Profile
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I'll never get tired of these.

I've also watched the sailing boat equivalent, live. Didn't sink the boat, but the people and the interior sure got wet.

MSL59.jpg