As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    What's the endgame here?

Warm-coloured carapace, green skin with a stronger contrast than my old 'nids. Kinda like Autumn camouflage.

The patterning will vary from model to model (though large broods of gaunts for example will probably match due to batch painting).

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Hopefully a nidzilla list with no gaunts or genestealers.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    Hopefully a nidzilla list with no gaunts or genestealers.

It's all for a diorama, baby.

I don't play Warhammer :biggrin:

3EnCIQg.jpg
    Oh I don’t play Warhammer either. I just sit hunched over my desk doing this horrible porcelain pattern on the 90th dumb lizard cricket’s bony crotch spike because of a vague idea of playing it. A fully painted Tyranid army? There’s a mirage in the distance and if I run towards it, surely it will be real!

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Asher Do you still have pictures of your EZPZ Raven Guard? The pics in your old posts are broke (Photobucket).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Botznoy wrote: »
    So for literally for the first time ever I've put paint to plastic over the past week and painted up some Primaris Marines I think I've gotten better but you know gotta start somewhere

Marines the First:
    gQ8xz5h.jpg

Marines the Second:
    LxlXlzi.jpg

Marines the Third:
    mvJYH0M.jpg

Need to do some touching up

That is a rad color scheme.

edit tangent: I might start putting up pictures of my goliaths, if I ever paint them all, instead of just building. I love building stuff. I just bought $150 worth of terrain for necromunda that I'll never actually use, just because I like building stuff.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really wanted to play Warhammer back in the day I just settled for modeling and painting of various things

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Skellietons!

47r7agadewab.jpg
    kwi618s4gsur.jpg
    8db9xk38dz9k.jpg
    48w2ge20d8zj.jpg

I've gotta say it's a good thing I'm not planning on collecting a death army any time soon, these chumps are kinda fiddly.
    That is the first time I've tried painting rust though, which was fun, I think it came out alright.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I totally respect you guys who paint just to paint.
    I need the end goal of playing to motivate me.
    Putting down a fully painted army against another fully painted army on a fully painted board feels really good though!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Speaking of air brushes, look what I just picked up at my local Blick...

I decided to pick it up locally because I wanted some actual advice and thankfully the Blick up the street from me has an "airbrush guy". Guided me down the path of wisdom. I found out Iwata's North American arm is actually headquartered here in Portland so I decided to go hull hog and get an Iwata compressor as well.

So I have a question. I got some GW Leadbelcher Air for base coats, but I want to spray my Vallejo Primer as well. I picked up some Golden air brush medium (on the recommendation of The Dude), but I didn't bother to ask what ratios to mix in. Basically I just want to thin the Vallejo Primer enough to easily spray through the airbrush.

Also, about GW Air paints, do most people really just poor them in the pot, or do you thin those as well? I feel like the answer is going to remain the standard "thin it, thin it more than you think it should be thinned" but I just wanted to check.

For a company that is aimed at high quality and charges a premium for such, I'm surprised to see their compressor is just a rebranded Chinese compressor (TC-80).

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Why is there so much blue on his
    How in the world do you transfer paint from GW/P3 bottles to dropper bottles without spilling it losing 1/2 of it to your carpets?

I honestly just poured it in and tried to hold my hands steady. And yes, a few times I did pour paint all over my hobby table.

I recently tried doing this and learned some stuff.

GW washes are too thin to bother doing this with. the bottles leak as you shake to stir/squeeze and you lose like half a bottle easily this way over the life of it.

I bought little funnels to use, and you need to lift the funnel so it doesnt seal on the bottle, to let air escape as paint is supposed to flow in and take its place. This will make the process a ton easier.

GW labels also peel off nicely and fit on your dropper bottles.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So I bought some grumpy axe-lads. Can't wait.

YbaNl9O.jpg
    Qa5tkdb.jpg

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    @Asher Do you still have pictures of your EZPZ Raven Guard? The pics in your old posts are broke (Photobucket).

Yeah! I'll start rehosting stuff. Stupid photobagel.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Arthil wrote: »
    So I bought some grumpy axe-lads. Can't wait.

YbaNl9O.jpg
    Qa5tkdb.jpg

All I can really remember about these minis in general is ass and cleavage

I'm not sure we're talking about the same minis.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Squad 1 (of 4) IG basically done. I have 4 distinct checkpoints before Adepticon set and am doing 250 points per checkpoint. Having finished them... I'm at ~60 points done. Pray for me.

Spoiled for big
    2ycRuhn.jpg?1
    is2KuF6.jpg?1

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Love the camo!

Same series
    Contains ass and mammary glands
    ozbuh94plmta.png
    And many others just going topless

edited January 2018
    b0Ey8Pm.jpg?1

Finished up my lord of plagues, a blightking, and a blightking proxy from a heavy khorne infantry for skirmish. The proxy uses plague drone tenticles and a head. The heads a bit too big but I can live with it. God blightkings are expensive money wise, I'm trying to figure out how to proxy them from anything I have laying around. Super duper nice models but just way overpriced.

edit: this is a old picture by a bit, I fixed some of the touchups already like the skull on the lord, etc.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So I painted a squad of termies. It took way longer than I thought (close to 7-8 hours) but with every batch I'm seeing improvements which makes me deeply happy

Marines the Fourth
    rYcEKVq.jpg

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Space Hulk Terminators are great, so much detail crammed into each model. I still haven't even primed mine (or the Genestealers) yet, I'm so far behind on my painting. Was nice of GW to do them in Red/Blue so the game is easily playable even before you paint them though.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Seriously are those not Slaanesh termis?

Also looking great mate.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Seriously are those not Slaanesh termis?

Also looking great mate.

Technically no, but GW doesn't have enough of a pink range to make my super Fab Marines so I went a touch different

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Speaking of air brushes, look what I just picked up at my local Blick...

I decided to pick it up locally because I wanted some actual advice and thankfully the Blick up the street from me has an "airbrush guy". Guided me down the path of wisdom. I found out Iwata's North American arm is actually headquartered here in Portland so I decided to go hull hog and get an Iwata compressor as well.

So I have a question. I got some GW Leadbelcher Air for base coats, but I want to spray my Vallejo Primer as well. I picked up some Golden air brush medium (on the recommendation of The Dude), but I didn't bother to ask what ratios to mix in. Basically I just want to thin the Vallejo Primer enough to easily spray through the airbrush.

Also, about GW Air paints, do most people really just poor them in the pot, or do you thin those as well? I feel like the answer is going to remain the standard "thin it, thin it more than you think it should be thinned" but I just wanted to check.

For a company that is aimed at high quality and charges a premium for such, I'm surprised to see their compressor is just a rebranded Chinese compressor (TC-80).

We had this discussion already. It's not. The Iwata is the original, the TC-80 the copy. If you look closely there are clear and obvious differences.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Brainleech wrote: »

Same series
    ozbuh94plmta.png

Yeah but not the ones I bought? :(

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    2J0gTbH.jpg

1st 2018 model. 8-)

J wrote: »
    2J0gTbH.jpg

1st 2018 model. 8-)

Fantastic! The rust on that scythe is brilliant.

3EnCIQg.jpg
    edited January 2018
    *snip cheesecake skeleton*

1st 2018 model. 8-)

Sorry, I can't support lines of minis that don't wear pants.
    I hate cheesecake models too but this was too good to pass up, dont hit me please

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    So many projects i want to start this year but i dont have the space for them.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    2J0gTbH.jpg

1st 2018 model. 8-)
    Were you saving this for the occasion? ;P

It's nice to still see everyone else making progress. I actually made a really nice start on that crisis suit I posted a while ago, but I kinda stalled out on how I wanted to paint the accent colour, and having any free time over December to work on it. Really want to get back to it because I'm impressed with how well things were going. Gotta keep up with Keenbean, J and Mayday! And, like, I guess not be so inferior to Kneel that I actually feel bad. ;)

ArcticLancer on
    Brainleech wrote: »

Same series
    ozbuh94plmta.png

Yeah but not the ones I bought? :(

Y'know to add. It almost comes off like you're suggesting I did something wrong by buying anything from the company. They have a few cheesecake models, but why should that matter when I'm looking at Dwarf Slayer's and Khorne Warrior's?

That company seems to just do regular PG cheesecake anyway. There’s plenty of European companies out there that seem to specialize in throwing floppy nipples and hoohas on all their poor army dolls.

This went on too long, but my 2 cents
    I think there's room for it, tasteful and/or gaudy. But you really have to look at if the company has a pattern with how it treats its female minis. GW had the same problems and have tried to push past and change, except they displayed a new similar model, she's similarly dressed to some disappointment. Either way I think anything trying to cater as quasi competition to "old" GW is going to pick that ball up and run with it.

I can't think of any major lines of miniatures that doesn't stray. I like reaper but even they tend to fetishise their mascot. Nude doesnt necessarily mean cheesecake or objectification. Sometimes its just the female naked form. I think reaper however has a range of how they use nudity and dress on their models. Sometimes it looks objectifying because its lampooning/an homage to exploitation films. Sometimes its gross for a horror element. But outnumbering that is a ton of women in different roles that aren't barely clad or dress inappropriately for what their role looks like.

In the end, its still art, even if its objectifying. I think theres just a rise in people who don't want the culture they are invested in, being associated with something they see as backwards or behind them. I said when the relic knights kickstarter happened and they had all those terrible cheesecake models. Sure I could find one of the two armies that don't contain those models, but 8 other factions do and I would have to play against them. And I wouldnt want to in public. But frankly thats my hangup I guess. I struggle on this back and forth.

TL;DR: It's still art and were not going to like it all. You really have to look at how the company treats the idea of females in the medium in general, and if that is going to have an adverse effect on how people might treat women because of it.

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It would be pretty cool if a guy could post pictures of some Dwarf miniatures he thought were cool and decided to purchase without someone trying to rope sexism into the conversation.

edited January 2018
    It's such a strange thing to bring up when what I linked wasn't even one of the the AoW lines female models. And looking through what they've got, there's just as many which are fully clothed/armored. Most of the risque models, which there's only a few of, are Dark Elves and Chaos.
    Badablack wrote: »
    That company seems to just do regular PG cheesecake anyway. There’s plenty of European companies out there that seem to specialize in throwing floppy nipples and hoohas on all their poor army dolls.

Wangs, too. Wangs everywhere.

Arthil on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    If anyone is looking for an airbrush, look up the Badger Air-Brush Company Facebook page. They're doing a 54th birthday deal for any airbrush direct from factory for $54+shipping. They have instructions on their Facebook post (must have Paypal, email instructions to order).

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    If anyone is looking for an airbrush, look up the Badger Air-Brush Company Facebook page. They're doing a 54th birthday deal for any airbrush direct from factory for $54+shipping. They have instructions on their Facebook post (must have Paypal, email instructions to order).

Was just coming to post this, incredible deal. I almost ordered a new brush or two when there was a holiday discount at Airbrush Supply a few days ago, glad I procrastinated.

edited January 2018
    Honest question - what are people picking up? The Badger line is almost overflowing with choice, and is designed for many more applications than just ours. The 105 is obvious, but what else is truly "for us"? The Renegade Velocity seems like the only straightforward one to me, but even then I'm not 100% since so much of their literature suggests half the line for any given purpose.

Basically, given the crazy opportunity, I'm wondering if there's a 2nd thing to pick up at the same time that'd be worthwhile and not just redundancy?

[Edit]
    Apparently facebook comment digging has a nice mention. Check this out:
    http://old.usaairbrushsupply.com/docs/BadgerAirbrushAppChart.pdf

ArcticLancer on
    I'm looking at getting a Krome, as recommended on a 40k Facebook group (where I first caught wind of the deal). Seems to be a pretty solid all around brush for most things (as seen on ArcticLancer's chart link).

Yeah, probably going to grab the Krome and an Omni 5000. The general "hardcore" nature/vibe of the Renegade series means I want something to fall back on for more general use.

Either of you guys get the confirmation email? I didn't, but don't want to flood their inbox trying to do so, but also want an out if for some reason I get missed.

This discussion has been closed.