As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DMV] DC - Maryland - Virginia

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've stopped recommending Natural History to visitors until that new T-Rex is up and running AND NOT A DAY EARLIER

Yes, this is true ...

However.

Dat gemstones exhibit.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I've stopped recommending Natural History to visitors until that new T-Rex is up and running AND NOT A DAY EARLIER

Yes, this is true ...

However.

Dat gemstones exhibit.

fun fact!

my grandfather was the curator of gems and minerals for some years!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yes, this is true ...

However.

Dat gemstones exhibit.

SO BORING

• Options
    Boring? No.

So crowded you may as well not bother going? Sadly, yes.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm at the renwick right now and this murder dollhouse exhibit is awesome, everybody go to the renwick

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @Lost Salient and I went to the Renwick last time she visited
    It was rad as hell

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    MURDER DOLLHOUSE EXHIBIT?!

please god let it still be going on next November

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well, Mean Girls at the National Theater is pretty great.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I'M JEALOUS

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

I'M JEALOUS

I was slow out of the gate buying tickets, so my wife and I didn't sit together. And I was literally in the uppermost, tippy-top, rightmost corner of the balcony.

But yeah, pretty great. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Hate to bump this thread for this, but if any of you also went to the Maryland renaissance festival you probably remember the magician/sword swallower Jhonny Fox. He had been battling cancer, and had made his return this year for a few shows, but he passed away sunday.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2017/12/sword-swallower-who-once-ran-museum-called-freakatorium-dies/slide/1/

Was pretty shocked because I recall him saying he was on the mend at his show in October. Hope other people around here also got to see him, he was very entertaining, and it was great to see how the community there rallied around him and how much it meant to him when it was needed most.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    He was the best and will be missed.

Water from India!

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Who all is going to MAGfest? We're going to be there for at least a few of the days next weekend

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm waiting for MAGAfest

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I'm waiting for MAGAfest

The other day, I found myself idly wondering whether anyone were depressed about the title this year.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'll be on staff all weekend!

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'll be on staff all weekend!

Awesome! As someone who hasn't been to this con before, what should I definitely check out?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I passed on MAGFest, too soon after the holiday. I'm going to go to Katsucon in February instead.

Any plans to do another meetup like we did last year? Later in the month, anyway.

• Options
    Hey all!

There's a powerful wind storm scheduled for tonight. Bring in your lawn furniture, trash cans, etc, and prepare for possible power outage.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/01/high-wind-warning-fridays-noreaster-may-bring-worst-wind-storm-to-washington-region-since-sandy-in-2012/

• Options
    That was actually helpful to me, thank you @templewulf

I check the weather as it impacts my day significantly as a preschool teacher, but unless there's a chance for snow or something I'm not concerned until the morning.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    This is some crazy wind alright. Almost more of a question of when we'll lose power instead of if...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I know a bunch of people got the day off because some places lost power.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    USG is closed today thanks to the wind/power and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Woke up to the sound of wind crashing against the house, blown off my bike on the ride to the Metro, and got a text from my boss at the station that the double decker buses can't run in DC today due to the extreme winds.

it's bad out there, try to keep from being outside best as you can.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Sassori wrote: »

I feel this is a more legitimate reason for a cancellation than all the snow days we had this winter combined.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Woke up to the sound of wind crashing against the house, blown off my bike on the ride to the Metro, and got a text from my boss at the station that the double decker buses can't run in DC today due to the extreme winds.

it's bad out there, try to keep from being outside best as you can.

This map is awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sassori wrote: »

I feel this is a more legitimate reason for a cancellation than all the snow days we had this winter combined.

As someone who last lived in Minnesota, the snow days here are like Baby's First Inclement Weather.

We briefly lost power in the middle of the night, but it was on again by the time I woke up.

Everybody else doing okay?

• Options
    whew it's windy out there

so far it's only blown my grill over and halfway across the deck and there are some shingles in the front yard (but not from our house thankfully)

• Options
    I had power fluctuations during my shower this morning but nothing went out. Though Dominion shows like ~79k customers are out or something like that on their map.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I lost power this morning, but got it back fairly quickly.

Only wind-caused issue is that my firepit blew across the yard, but it does that on light wind days, too. Otherwise, I'd brought everything in or moved it under shelter.

School was cancelled for my big guy, so he's happy!

• Options
    I'm pretty much running a daycare here at the moment, accumulating 2nd graders left and right. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    zt30rxdq25s1.jpg

So the chimney on the front corner of our building fell off this morning, and my husband just went to walk the dog and says that the back one has snapped and will likely fall.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Apparently Prince William parkway is closing down because that giant Potomac Mills sign is bending precariously.

And a house burned down today because a transformer blew. This weather is bonkers.

• Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    zt30rxdq25s1.jpg

So the chimney on the front corner of our building fell off this morning, and my husband just went to walk the dog and says that the back one has snapped and will likely fall.

Whoa! I'm glad you guys are all right. Is it weird that after having to repair our roof three times in the last six months, my first thought was "Oh no! I hope they aren't the ones who have to fix that."?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My first thought was "Thank God we aren't responsible for that," so no, it's not weird.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    For those of you who know what this is ... :D

ji6tk3m8mvx9.jpg

Edit: What's not visible is the gap where one of the wedding-cake layers of the poles is separating under the strain.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I have some restaurant recommendations to share! You may recall that as a native of the Mexican border, I can be a little obsessive looking for Mexican food around here.

We eventually found out where to look in MD! We tried La Chocita in Bladensburg, and it was one of my favorite meals since moving to the DMV. It was authentic to my experience of Northern Mexico, and they have a much broader menu than most American-Latino restaurants. Everything was surprisingly light, rather than greasy. For example, we ordered a quesadilla, and it was at least as much vegetable as cheese.

We also just found kind of the opposite in Fox Loves Taco. It's a coffee counter with vegetarian-friendly tacos in a bike shop. Despite being emphatically hipster, they have some pretty deft flavor combinations and respectably spicy salsas. It's right out the door at Brookland station, and I've already stopped there a couple of times on the way to meetings in DC. They also do buy2-get1 taco Tuesdays!

• Options
    Drive safe you all

I know frederick and above looks to be getting 12"+

uuuuugh

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Drive safe you all

I know frederick and above looks to be getting 12"+

uuuuugh

DC is ranging 1-5" last I checked. I am putting good money we have a telework/government closed tomorrow day.

u7stthr17eud.png