As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South 2018 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    srsartistkatsrsartistkat Registered User regular
    Are panel submissions closed for PAX South 2018, or have they not opened yet? Is there a way to get in contact with the programming department to discuss an idea?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I attended the PAX South GoT Pub Crawl last year, and had a blast! I was wondering if anyone knows how I might get in touch with whoever coordinates it, and see if they need any help with it this year? I figured that this was the best spot to post this question, as I didn't feel it necessitated it's own thread.
    The crawl almost always needs more staff volunteers! I am certain when the organizers make a post about it, you will be able to contact them at that time to discuss that

• Options
    Are panel submissions closed for PAX South 2018, or have they not opened yet? Is there a way to get in contact with the programming department to discuss an idea?
    They have not yet opened. Once they open, you should be able to email pax_panels@paxsite.com to discuss your panel idea.

• Options
    ZorelyaZorelya Registered User new member
    Is there a way to submit requests for guest artists/stars? There are two voice actors I have in mind: Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley, the English VAs for 2B and 9S from NieR:Automata (among many other roles). They're up for going to conventions, but they haven't both been invited to attend the same con at the same time yet. It would be awesome to have them both be invited to PAX South, especially since Automata was such a successful game.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Your best bet would probably for them to submit a panel for the show when those go live.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I have an amazing idea for a panel!! Who should I contact?!?
    If you just have an idea email pax_panels@paxsite.com with your pitch! Once submissions open (this will be announced on the official pax twitter) if you actually want to run your own panel head over to south.panels.paxsite.com with your proposal. If accepted you and your participants will receive a complimentary Speaker Pass for PAX South 2018. Good luck!

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Zorelya wrote: »
    Is there a way to submit requests for guest artists/stars? There are two voice actors I have in mind: Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley, the English VAs for 2B and 9S from NieR:Automata (among many other roles). They're up for going to conventions, but they haven't both been invited to attend the same con at the same time yet. It would be awesome to have them both be invited to PAX South, especially since Automata was such a successful game.
    In addition to what whypick1 mentioned, PAX doesn't really invite people other than the musical artists to the show, the same way it might work for a pop culture or comic con. Those people would have to decide they want to go on their own.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If there is a musical artist i think it would be neat to see (possibly a long shot since they're based out of California i think) is there a suggestion box for that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Other than the post-pax survey sent out by pax after a given pax, I'm not aware of anything like that. Twitter, perhaps?

• Options
    bluestankbluestank Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if alcohol/open containers are allowed on the premises of the convention site?

• Options
    They are not.

• Options
    HectateHectate Registered User new member
    Will there be a breastfeeding/pumping privacy station set up anywhere at PAX South? I'd like to come with my family on Sunday, and this is relevant to our needs to be able to do so. I'd seen comments that the First Aid station in previous locations had been utilized for this and wanted to make sure we had an answer (or make the request!) in advance. Thanks.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The Henry B has family bathrooms which we direct people towards as a nursing room.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    So this will be my first PAX South however I'm a PAX East vet (3 years going for 4) so I think I got the basics down for how to plan for the trip and how to plan out how I want to spend my days at the convention. However, I have a few questions since San Antonio will be uncharted territory for me. Hopefully I don't ask a question that has been asked and answered and I possibly overlooked it.

1. How is the environment compared to PAX East? Is it about the same or is there a different feel or attitude?

2. How easy is it to get around the city? I know with Boston there is a lot of things to do nearby and if I want to go somewhere a good bit away, the T is usually relatively near everything of interest.

3. Is there a lot to do in San Antonio? I know the Alamo is there as well as the riverwalk and I want to make it a point to check these places out, but is there other points of interest as well? This would help me decide if I want to leave a day early and kinda soak in the local atmosphere.

4. Any suggestions from anyone who has previously attended that could possibly make my visit as enjoyable as possible?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    @darksteelreapr I'll answer what I can. I was born and raised in SA, but live in California now. I do come home for PAX South every year, however, so I'll see you there!

1. I have never been to East, so I can't answer this.
    2. This is the one pain point about SA. Public transit is not too good, for two primary reasons. 1. The city is massive, with density being low, so public transit is hard to use if you are too far out from downtown or the major streets in the city. That being said, there is a public bus system (VIA) that can get you easily from downtown to just about anywhere a tourist may want to visit. Again, huge city that is spread out, so transit times can be high. 2. There is no alternate public transit other than the bus system, so you will need to work within the limitations of that system to get around if you absolutely want to use transit. That being said, there are many Uber and Lyft drivers in SA, so that makes it easy to get around without having to rent a car and deal with parking downtown. Even though I have access to a car when I am home, I use Uber/Lyft to get to and from PAX. It is the most convenient and cheap way to do it, other than the bus.
    3. There is a lot to do in SA, depending on what you like to do. You named the Alamo, which is a given. Right behind the convention center is the Tower of the Americas which is like the Space Needle in Seattle. You can go up, take photos of the city and eat in the restaurant that spins 360 degrees. If you've never been to the space needle or done something like this, it is fun and unique. There is also Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Both are fun to go to if you're into amusement parks. We have a few museums that are nice, we well as other Spanish Missions (besides the Alamo) which are interesting if you're a fan of history. The one thing you absolutely must do while in SA is try as much of the amazing food as you can. Most restaurants downtown are 'tourist traps' with decent food at somewhat high prices. There are a few really good restaurants downtown, but you have to know where they are. I can recommend some if you're interested. SA also has some of the best BBQ in the state. Let me know if you want recommendations for that as well. Lastly, and probably the most obvious is the river walk. Google "San Antonio River Walk" to see what I mean. The convention center is literally right next to it, and it is by far the most popular and well known tourist area in the city. You will be able to get to it on foot anytime you wish, but it really starts to get going after the sun has set.
    4. Some suggestions that will make the trip easier and more fun are to not rent a car. Dealing with parking downtown is a pain in the @$$. Use Uber/Lyft or the bus as much as possible. Try a different restaurant for every meal. You will be much better for it. Texas weather can change from one minute to the next, so bring layers. It does not get very cold in SA, so a hoodie is about the heaviest you will need in January - unless you are one of those people who is always cold. Then you may want a heavier jacket. Rain is hit or miss, so while I wouldn't bring a huge umbrella, a compact umbrella and/or rain poncho is good to have just in case. On the other hand, Texas can get very hot and very dry. Bring a water bottle and keep hydrated. It will sneak up on you - especially if you are outside doing touristy things in the heat. The last thing is something that applies to every city, not just SA - there are some seedy/sketchy parts of the city, so try to avoid those and always be alert of your surroundings. The downtown area is very safe, with lots of police and tourists, so you shouldn't have an issue there, but you are in fairly close proximity to some sketchy areas. Just make sure you don't wander too far outside of downtown on foot at night. If you "stay between the two major highways" (35 to the West and 281 to the East of downtown) you should be great.

Hopefully that helps. If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know.

qbqtLfO.png
  • Options
    @mnemonictutor Thanks for the info! I do use Uber when I go to Boston if I'm looking to get somewhere quickly so it's good to know Uber is readily available in SA. I'm a huge BBQ fan and I always hear how good authentic Texas BBQ is and I'm anxious to try it so any suggestions for great BBQ would be appreciated also I'll make it a point to check out the tower of the americas as well! Also, thanks for the heads up on where the shady parts of town are. I usually don't go walking too far in any city at night. I try to stay as close to the hotel as possible or just get an Uber.

• Options
    mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    @darksteelreapr Just know that BBQ is a very subjective thing - but there are several kinds in San Antonio. For the quick and cheap, there is a local chain called Bill Miller's that has "fast food BBQ" if you want to call it that. It is good food that is cheap and fast, but not what you would think of 'traditional TX BBQ'. There is one downtown that you should be able to walk to.

Another local chain (though they have branched out to other parts of TX and even other states now) is Rudy's BBQ. The one out on HWY 151 near Sea World is probably the closest to downtown, but it is still quite a trek out - maybe 15-20 minutes by car.

Lastly, and my favorite, is Two Brother's BBQ on West Avenue. What really sets this one apart is the sides. The BBQ is excellent, just like any other traditional BBQ joint, but the restaurant is owned by chef Jason Dady, and the sides reflect the taste of a chef. Hands down, the best potato salad and creamed corn you will find in any BBQ place in SA. Also, the banana pudding is out of this world. There are a few other spots that are also good, but they are just as far away or farther than the ones listed and not worth the trip in comparison.

I will list one more which isn't in SA at all, but worth the trip if you find yourself in possession of your own car and a few hours to drive out to it, eat, and drive back - The Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. This is north of SA, between SA and Austin. It is a trip...1.5 hours from the convention center by car...but absolutely worth the drive. It's probably the best BBQ in all of the state. Every time I would find a reason to drive to Austin, I would stop there for lunch or dinner. This is more of a bucket list thing, though, since it is so far from downtown SA.

qbqtLfO.png
  • Options
    Also a ways out of town, but Natural Bridge Caverns is a fun way to kill a few hours.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooper30cooper30 Registered User new member
    @darksteelreapr South is much more relaxed than East.

• Options
    @cooper30 What makes it more relaxed? Is it not as crowded and fewer lines or more like a relaxed city in general?

• Options
    I've never made it to other PAXen, but from what I've heard, it's a mix of things.

It's a newer "smaller" show, so there's fewer huge developers there so there's less pressure to hit must see things. Barring stuff like Nintendo demoing the switch last year.

As far as i know badges have never sold out for South, so there's lots of spare capacity in the building. Other than the expo hall and lines for the big panels, it never feels too crowded.

Lots of people just spend time hanging out in the table top gaming area playing card games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooper30cooper30 Registered User new member
    @darksteelreapr It doesn't seem as insane to me. There are still lines and energy, but people are laid back. A lot of families on the Expo Hall floor.

The city itself is more relaxed than the Boston.

• Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    There are fewer big names at South, much more indy. This means that there are few things with a line over a hour. (Omitting Switch last year which caused me to just avoid that section of expo tbh.)
    There are more opportunities to see a game, sit and play - and since there are fewer "must hit" things, it doesn't feel like I'm missing out when I stop to play some random game for an hour in the middle of the day. At West it's just go go go, and the only time for a chill game is in evening/night. At West, stopping to talk to a friend on the way has made me miss panels. At South, it's no big deal to stop and chat for a while.

Even though I've gone to more Primes/Wests, I realized South feels like my home PAX now.

Also, having the main direction for nearby food being on the riverwalk is lovely. As for East's locale, I've only been once - and from what I remember there was NOTHING nearby, which I did not like. I enjoy walking around and seeing PAX people everywhere in evening.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    @darksteelreapr I'll answer what I can. I was born and raised in SA, but live in California now. I do come home for PAX South every year, however, so I'll see you there!

1. I have never been to East, so I can't answer this.
    2. This is the one pain point about SA. Public transit is not too good, for two primary reasons. 1. The city is massive, with density being low, so public transit is hard to use if you are too far out from downtown or the major streets in the city. That being said, there is a public bus system (VIA) that can get you easily from downtown to just about anywhere a tourist may want to visit. Again, huge city that is spread out, so transit times can be high. 2. There is no alternate public transit other than the bus system, so you will need to work within the limitations of that system to get around if you absolutely want to use transit. That being said, there are many Uber and Lyft drivers in SA, so that makes it easy to get around without having to rent a car and deal with parking downtown. Even though I have access to a car when I am home, I use Uber/Lyft to get to and from PAX. It is the most convenient and cheap way to do it, other than the bus.
    3. There is a lot to do in SA, depending on what you like to do. You named the Alamo, which is a given. Right behind the convention center is the Tower of the Americas which is like the Space Needle in Seattle. You can go up, take photos of the city and eat in the restaurant that spins 360 degrees. If you've never been to the space needle or done something like this, it is fun and unique. There is also Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Both are fun to go to if you're into amusement parks. We have a few museums that are nice, we well as other Spanish Missions (besides the Alamo) which are interesting if you're a fan of history. The one thing you absolutely must do while in SA is try as much of the amazing food as you can. Most restaurants downtown are 'tourist traps' with decent food at somewhat high prices. There are a few really good restaurants downtown, but you have to know where they are. I can recommend some if you're interested. SA also has some of the best BBQ in the state. Let me know if you want recommendations for that as well. Lastly, and probably the most obvious is the river walk. Google "San Antonio River Walk" to see what I mean. The convention center is literally right next to it, and it is by far the most popular and well known tourist area in the city. You will be able to get to it on foot anytime you wish, but it really starts to get going after the sun has set.
    4. Some suggestions that will make the trip easier and more fun are to not rent a car. Dealing with parking downtown is a pain in the @$$. Use Uber/Lyft or the bus as much as possible. Try a different restaurant for every meal. You will be much better for it. Texas weather can change from one minute to the next, so bring layers. It does not get very cold in SA, so a hoodie is about the heaviest you will need in January - unless you are one of those people who is always cold. Then you may want a heavier jacket. Rain is hit or miss, so while I wouldn't bring a huge umbrella, a compact umbrella and/or rain poncho is good to have just in case. On the other hand, Texas can get very hot and very dry. Bring a water bottle and keep hydrated. It will sneak up on you - especially if you are outside doing touristy things in the heat. The last thing is something that applies to every city, not just SA - there are some seedy/sketchy parts of the city, so try to avoid those and always be alert of your surroundings. The downtown area is very safe, with lots of police and tourists, so you shouldn't have an issue there, but you are in fairly close proximity to some sketchy areas. Just make sure you don't wander too far outside of downtown on foot at night. If you "stay between the two major highways" (35 to the West and 281 to the East of downtown) you should be great.

Hopefully that helps. If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know.

Years past for East and West/Prime there have been food threads. You input would be fantastic as the convention gets closer. I skipped South in 2017. I"ll try to dig up the threads on food from 2015/2016

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hey, I got an email saying "the PAX South Omegathon is Back" and saying the selection deadline is November 27, but can't find any way to actually register on the site. Was that sent in error?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Hey, I got an email saying "the PAX South Omegathon is Back" and saying the selection deadline is November 27, but can't find any way to actually register on the site. Was that sent in error?

I think they mean you have to buy your tickets before November 27th to be in the running to be picked?

• Options
    MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    This is true. You have to have purchased tickets to have a chance to participate in the omegathon. The 27th is almost certainly the purchase deadline to be qualified for the omegathon. Then after that you just hope they call you.

• Options
    ChaiMoonChaiMoon Registered User new member
    Are there any changes on the bag policy this year? I went to a con this year where we weren't allowed certain types of bags. If the question has been answered somewhere I apologize.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    ChaiMoon wrote: »
    Are there any changes on the bag policy this year? I went to a con this year where we weren't allowed certain types of bags. If the question has been answered somewhere I apologize.

As of right now the policy is the same as last year, searches but no particular kinds of bags not allowed. As always, security policies could change at the last minute, and in extreme cases, day to day during the show.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    Anyone remember the specific day the tickets showed up last year?

• Options
    I don't remember but i just got the message that mine shipped. So should be real soon now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Got my tickets shipping statement to its happening boys and girls.

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    ChaiMoon wrote: »

As of right now the policy is the same as last year, searches but no particular kinds of bags not allowed. As always, security policies could change at the last minute, and in extreme cases, day to day during the show.

Very welcome news if this remains true. I stopped by to ask the very same question. Another con in the Henry B had a ridiculously restrictive bag policy (6"x6"x6" purse, or 12"x12"x6" if made of completely clear material--nothing else, no camera bags, no backpacks, no mesh bags, etc). They said it was the policy of the convention center, but I trust that con's management about as far as I can throw it. LOL. I figure it came down to insurance rates, and maybe they tossed us under the bus to get a cheaper rate.

I realize it could come at the last minute, but please get the word out ASAP if bags are going to be banned at PAX, too. I don't walk too well these days, and making extra trips to my car requires additional planning on my part. Thanks!

• Options
    sirenasirena Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    japester wrote: »
    Very welcome news if this remains true. I stopped by to ask the very same question. Another con in the Henry B had a ridiculously restrictive bag policy (6"x6"x6" purse, or 12"x12"x6" if made of completely clear material--nothing else, no camera bags, no backpacks, no mesh bags, etc). They said it was the policy of the convention center, but I trust that con's management about as far as I can throw it. LOL. I figure it came down to insurance rates, and maybe they tossed us under the bus to get a cheaper rate.

That was bc the con was the weekend right after the Phoenix Comicon's gunman situation. At the last minute, they banned backpacks which sucked for all the out-of-towners. It was the typical knee-jerk reaction to that type of news. The rudimentary bag checks they implemented were a joke and they probably learned from it. I highly doubt PAX South will ban backpacks.

Also, you're right, there is no such bag policy at the Henry B. They have a very short list of items they don't permit inside. It's the event itself that makes their other rules, like PAX's weapon policy and all that. I agree, it's probably based on their level of insurance.

sirena on
  • Options
    VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    I noticed that this year's South badges have NFC tags in them. First, a note: DO NOT BEND YOUR BADGE. IT WILL BREAK. Second, are there any details as to what the tags will be used for, aside from the PAX XP stations?

KvTUvIQ.png
  • Options
    electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I looked around but I couldn't find a thread for it (I apologize if I missed it), but does anyone know which developers and vendors are going to be at the show?

• Options
    VmKidVmKid Gone Bananas Shuggazoom CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The list of booths on the show floor, as well as a map, are available in the PAX South app.

VmKid on
    KvTUvIQ.png
  • Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    Could anyone tell me, if I ordered (and received) x3 three-day badges already, can I purchase more day passes at this point without causing any problems or concerns?

• Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    South's limit is 10 per household. So right off the bat, you're good for another 7 :P

Beyond that... I am not sure given how close to the date it is.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    There are fewer big names at South, much more indy. This means that there are few things with a line over a hour. (Omitting Switch last year which caused me to just avoid that section of expo tbh.)
    There are more opportunities to see a game, sit and play - and since there are fewer "must hit" things, it doesn't feel like I'm missing out when I stop to play some random game for an hour in the middle of the day. At West it's just go go go, and the only time for a chill game is in evening/night. At West, stopping to talk to a friend on the way has made me miss panels. At South, it's no big deal to stop and chat for a while.

Even though I've gone to more Primes/Wests, I realized South feels like my home PAX now.

Also, having the main direction for nearby food being on the riverwalk is lovely. As for East's locale, I've only been once - and from what I remember there was NOTHING nearby, which I did not like. I enjoy walking around and seeing PAX people everywhere in evening.
    @darksteelreapr Just know that BBQ is a very subjective thing - but there are several kinds in San Antonio. For the quick and cheap, there is a local chain called Bill Miller's that has "fast food BBQ" if you want to call it that. It is good food that is cheap and fast, but not what you would think of 'traditional TX BBQ'. There is one downtown that you should be able to walk to.

Another local chain (though they have branched out to other parts of TX and even other states now) is Rudy's BBQ. The one out on HWY 151 near Sea World is probably the closest to downtown, but it is still quite a trek out - maybe 15-20 minutes by car.

Lastly, and my favorite, is Two Brother's BBQ on West Avenue. What really sets this one apart is the sides. The BBQ is excellent, just like any other traditional BBQ joint, but the restaurant is owned by chef Jason Dady, and the sides reflect the taste of a chef. Hands down, the best potato salad and creamed corn you will find in any BBQ place in SA. Also, the banana pudding is out of this world. There are a few other spots that are also good, but they are just as far away or farther than the ones listed and not worth the trip in comparison.

I will list one more which isn't in SA at all, but worth the trip if you find yourself in possession of your own car and a few hours to drive out to it, eat, and drive back - The Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX. This is north of SA, between SA and Austin. It is a trip...1.5 hours from the convention center by car...but absolutely worth the drive. It's probably the best BBQ in all of the state. Every time I would find a reason to drive to Austin, I would stop there for lunch or dinner. This is more of a bucket list thing, though, since it is so far from downtown SA.

Added Bill Miller's to my list. I love how for South and West there are plenty of places to check out for food. I agree with on East, it can be tough to find something close.

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    hurbleduhhurbleduh Registered User new member
    Are there "spousal" related events? Things that veer closer to crafting, very low stakes, not entirely wedded to gaming as a concept? I took a look at the schedule and didn't see much, and I'm really scared my wife is going to be bored out of her skull. It's not that she doesn't like gaming, but it's not to the extent that my friends and I are.