As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fire and Fury - Trump/Bannon Love is Over?

ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Last time, on Chaos in the White House...

Fire and Fury is the title of Michael Wolff's new book about the goings on in the Trump White House.

It is not complimentary to Donald J Trump.

CNBC Reporter

Furthermore, one Steve Bannon, former CHIEF STRATEGIST to the Trump White House, and grand poobah of Breitbart, is quoted in it, calling the Donald Jr meeting with Russians treasonous, and saying that there's no way Trump Sr didn't know about it.

This has provoked Trump to issue a statement:

Time Magazine reporter

Which would be whatever, since he's said many of the same things about another one of his besties, Roger Stone, except that it seems like his feelings really were hurt this time.

Bloomberg Reporter

Try to keep it to all things horrifying relating to or fallout from Fire and Fury stuff. Horrifying quotes and anecdotes, yes. General Trump nonsense, no. Specifically Russian investigation stuff goes in the Russian investigation thread.

Ahem.

Now that the tax crap is passed, and betrayal of any kind of populist thought is complete, time to eat each other. Or perhaps Bannon is trying to upend the ESTABLISHMENT so that his brand of wingnuts can take over the Republican party. So many options, all of them horrible. What fun.

ztrEPtD.gif
ArcTangent on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bannon took a pretty soft jab against Trump really, by going after proxy targets like Junior. That Trump responded SO QUICKLY is very telling at how under-his-skin this got. It's also amazing to compare Trump's reaction time to this to things like Nazis killing people with their car.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know that "Bannon has a new book out and a controversial interview" is enough content for a thread, so this may be locked shortly. Trump threads are like gremlins, in that we don't want them to multiply willy-nilly.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Bannon took a pretty soft jab against Trump really, by going after proxy targets like Junior. That Trump responded SO QUICKLY is very telling at how under-his-skin this got. It's also amazing to compare Trump's reaction time to this to things like Nazis killing people with their car.

Nazi killing Americans on American soil doesn't involve Trump personally, therefore doesn't rank high in his priorities to respond to.

Also, Nazis are his supporters and admirers and the Americans they killed are his opponents, so he has a hard time understanding why that's a bad thing at all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That doesn't seem like a Trump statement. It looks to like something someone else wrote and showed to Trump, who made them add the "often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican Party."

• Options
    I will say this for Trump though, he's right that Bannon's and Breitbart's notoriety came from their connection to Trump, not for anything they did themselves. People only started paying attention to him when he became an influential advisor to the GOP candidate, and will stop paying attention to him now that he's out of the picture.

Bannon lost more than his job when Trump fired him. He lost his fame and his place in the national spotlight. To Trump, that may be the same thing as losing one's mind.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That doesn't seem like a Trump statement. It looks to like something someone else wrote and showed to Trump, who made them add the "often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican Party."

I for one have never heard the 2015-2016 GOP candidates described in those words.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Also yes Bannon believes there are cataclysmic, society-altering happenings every 80 years and seems to think we're due since WWII was ~80 years ago...

...because he's dumb and doesn't realize that the fall of the Soviet Union (or any other number of things) disproves this nonsense.

The last line about spurning people that want to tear everything down further implicates a Bannon rival writing that instead of Trump...

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Mitch McConnell is the senate majority leader

The tweet itself is pretty dumb, but I think demonstrates the glee he is feeling now that there is a wedge between Trump and Bannon. I mean, this is an idiotic reaction, really, but par the course for the Republican Party, I suppose.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MSNBC host

Next Fox and Friends is going to be interesting.

...At least, assuming they don't just completely ignore this whole thing, which is almost certainly what'll happen.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I will say this for Trump though, he's right that Bannon's and Breitbart's notoriety came from their connection to Trump, not for anything they did themselves. People only started paying attention to him when he became an influential advisor to the GOP candidate, and will stop paying attention to him now that he's out of the picture.

Bannon lost more than his job when Trump fired him. He lost his fame and his place in the national spotlight. To Trump, that may be the same thing as losing one's mind.

Ehhhhh... I'd argue that bannon had some amount of credibility amongst conservatives on the internet if only because he was the successor to Breitbart and has kept that site running at a decent clip.

What's really interesting to me about this whole thing is whether or not Steve is willing to stand up for himself in the wake of trump's rebuke and risk doing a schism.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't know that "Bannon has a new book out and a controversial interview" is enough content for a thread, so this may be locked shortly. Trump threads are like gremlins, in that we don't want them to multiply willy-nilly.

Correction, Michael Wolf has a new book out where he interviewed a whole bunch of whitehouse staff, this Bannon stuff is just the first to come out publicly so far. There will likely be more scandalous passages and insane Trump reactions to follow.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

The tweet itself is pretty dumb, but I think demonstrates the glee he is feeling now that there is a wedge between Trump and Bannon. I mean, this is an idiotic reaction, really, but par the course for the Republican Party, I suppose.
    I think they're under the impression that a rift between Trump and Bannon means that Trump will start to embrace traditional politician scumbags like McConnell more. Which is really naive but hey, let them have false aspirations of hope.

• Options
    I think they're under the impression that a rift between Trump and Bannon means that Trump will start to embrace traditional politician scumbags like McConnell more. Which is really naive but hey, let them have false aspirations of hope.

Trump is due to pivot any day now... just wait for it. Aaaaaaany day now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Reading the WH response and it's nice to know I'm still capable of being surprised.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Isn't there another book as well? This is just day 1 of the week of leaks from this book. I completely get your point that I don't know what this thread would be beyond cackling over gossip though. Well that and a quarantine zone for said gossip.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

It’s amazing how they all continue to assume “surely, Trump won’t possibly turn against me” when he’s shown over and over that he will attack anyone at the drop of a hat if he can save his own ass by doing so.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Wait I thought someone else wrote this and the section was just about Bannon.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

If I was in McConnell's shoes, I'd be terrified. He's already looking at a midterm where his party is underwater, and now there's a possible schism that could divide support when he needs unity.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

If not here then where?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Wait I thought someone else wrote this and the section was just about Bannon.

These are quotes from Bannon during interviews by the author of the book.

• Options
    edited January 2018

I get the impression that this is a wedge between trump and a segment of the base, and assuming this can translate into a larger percentage it's more likely to force trump to have to come to paul and Mitch for support.

Or at least that's what a rational politician would do, trump is just as likely to decided to Migrate to Newfoundland, build a nest and try to attract a mate before entering into a hibernation period for the rest of the winter.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Reading the WH response and it's nice to know I'm still capable of being surprised.

Michael Wolff doesn't even have the most sterling of reputations either, but instead of ignoring it, or simply calling it a fabrication, Trump instead has to punch back at damn near EVERYTHING. If Bannon wasn't pissed at him before, you can bet that after being called a lunatic, he is now. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy there.

Alabama Media Group reporter

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Please be true.

I need this to be true.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Also, I'd just like to point out how fast the trump administration is collapsing; It wasn't until the latter part of Bush's second term that his ostensible allies started distancing themselves from him, whereas we are seeing this happen before trump's first year is up.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I want to talk about this bit for a second.

Steve pretends to be at war with the media, which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem more important than he was.

I guess we can take that as official confirmation that yes, Bannon WAS fired because he was getting press that deemed him the secret power behind the throne.

Nobody is allowed to outshine Trump's Ego.

We really need to be using this information/tactic more.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

Ehhhhh... I'd argue that bannon had some amount of credibility amongst conservatives on the internet if only because he was the successor to Breitbart and has kept that site running at a decent clip.

What's really interesting to me about this whole thing is whether or not Steve is willing to stand up for himself in the wake of trump's rebuke and risk doing a schism.

Trump was a means to an end for Bannon. He was a useful idiot. Bannon thought he could use his access to Trump to manipulate him into literally destroying the government. Trump's whole "drain the swamp" schtick was just for votes. Bannon actually means it. Now that Bannon is out, Trump's just another target to bring down for him.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Posting tweets with a single line joke post are not how a thread that wants to stay open should behave.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    Maybe what we need is a "Political Schadenfreude" thread because I can't even.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Now that the tax crap is passed, and betrayal of any kind of populist thought is complete, time to eat each other. Or perhaps Bannon is trying to upend the ESTABLISHMENT so that his brand of wingnuts can take over the Republican party. So many options, all of them horrible. What fun.
    The tax bill passed less than a month ago.

If this is all true, these interviews / book deal was done long before that. Is there anything in this thing that says what dates we're talking about here? Either way, I don't think this is a response to that.

I think there's still way too many people looking at Bannon as some kind of mastermind strategist. He's probably a little smarter and less crazy than Alex Jones, but I'm not sure it's by much.

• Options
    By the way, Trump blaming Bannon for the leaks?

Remember when Reince Priebus left? Trump blamed him for the leaks, rather conclusively. But hey when you're throwing people under the bus who gives a shit about consistency or being right about anything at all!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I want to talk about this bit for a second.

Steve pretends to be at war with the media, which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem more important than he was.

I guess we can take that as official confirmation that yes, Bannon WAS fired because he was getting press that deemed him the secret power behind the throne.

Nobody is allowed to outshine Trump's Ego.

We really need to be using this information/tactic more.

This has been the big takeaway for me as well. I'm curious what had the most impact though: News stories, or the SNL sketch when Bannon was sitting at the Resolute Desk?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

If not here then where?

It may be that not every new development in the ongoing car crash that is American political life gets its own thread or fits into an existing one. Some topics may descend quickly into a general Trump Is A Bad Person thread for want of content, indicating their brief mayfly life is over.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Head of the Revolving Door Project (group for more Executive oversight)

Walsh was basically the Chief of Staff for the transition team. Follow ups have her allegedly claiming that it's misattributed to her, when it was Bannon who said it. No official word has been put out though, and even Ward (Yahoo news source relaying her claim) hedges, saying that she may be panicked over it. Could be them scapegoating all bad press onto Bannon now. Or just super weird panic now that Trump has granted it legitimacy.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    So I'm seeing this quote from Bannon,
    “The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor – with no lawyers. They didn’t have any lawyers.

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad shit, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”

Then why didn't he call the FBI immediately?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    AP White House Reporter confirming that Wolff had the pretty deep access he claims to have had.

It would be amazing and horrifying if he had tapes of even half this stuff.

E:
    Free Beacon reporter

McConnell is definitely twisting the knife and trying to create a schism if there wasn't already one.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Bogart on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The crazy thing is Bannon would have had to been on this shit MONTHS ago right? This isn't a "he's mad about Alabama" situation, he was apparently openly burning this bridge for a good long while now.

I wonder if he didn't realize he words were going to show up in a book. (It might explain how Brietbart seems to be caught off guard. You'd think they'd have the "Trump is an establishment sell-out" article ready to go for awhile now.) It just feels so 0-to-60.

EDIT: Also, McConnel really needs to learn when to shut up and let somebody light themselves on fire on their own. Poking the bear now will just galvanize the anti-establishment GOPers who may have become disenchanted by a Trump/Bannon schism.

Undead Scottsman on