As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    reading an article about miranda rights vs canadian interrogation/arrest procedures and this is the only comment
    It isn't just Miranda rights we don't have - WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms - along with the Constitution Act and other items - was rejected when we said NO to the Charlottetown Accord. Most laws rejected in this manner are simply passed in house, as these were. So, technically, it IS law. But go back further - to December of 1931 - the Statute of Westminster - which REQUIRES the INDEPENDENT SOVEREIGN PROVINCES to come together and form a CONFEDERATION, which has not been done. Furthermore, it also requires the Government of Canada to seek the approval of the people. The first and only attempt at this failed with the rejection of the Charlottetown Accord. So the approval to be a "nation" was rejected. Therefore, as Canada does not exist legally (except as a corporation), the Constitution Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms don't either. We have no rights.

amazing

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Current events I think are having a huge effect on me, What with the nightmares and the feeling of impending doom, moresi than normal I mean.

??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzyAFg6as0

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I have been weirdly preoccupied with the fact that we are all going to die over the last few weeks. It is not pleasant.

Only eventually, is the good news.

I mean, maybe tomorrow, that's always a possibility.

But more likely, you've got at least another lifetime to live, minimum!

And then probably a perpetual void of nothingness but it's best not to think about it.

The "Don't Let It Set In" comic wouldn't exist if it weren't REALLY FUCKING GOOD at Setting In.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I haven't waited to play a new/unreleased game at PAX in... a long time.

I have played some games, but typically indies where I'll walk around and the dev is sitting at his booth looking a little sad that no one is stopping by. I think the last time I actually waited to play something was Orcs Must Die in like, 2014 before I started meeting chat people at the conventions.

I waited with spool so he could play Elite Dangerous last South and he had fun, but I wasn't planning on playing myself.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    matt it sounds like the main problem here was deciding to go to that party

eh, it wasn't the worst

but I do genuinely like the wife in that couple, she's a former co-worker and was the person I am actually friends with. Her husband I don't really care for and tbh I hadn't even met face to face before the party, dude's just sorta talked at me before on Facebook previously.

they're not bad people, they're just dorks and he's just a particularly irritating brand of dork who is aggressively Gen X in his sensibilities about the whole subject and it just gets tiresome to deal with

we went because we were 2 of 15 people invited and at that point literally nobody had confirmed going and my wife felt really bad for them and we had no plans that night anyway and when there's only 15 people invited it's hard to ghost someone, it's not like when there's 50 people invited and nobody notices you didn't respond

so we did it to be... polite?

and it wasn't god awful, they were nice people and they had very cute pet birds, i just find the dude irritating and kind of a stereotype dingus and it was sad to see how much effort they put into it for like, only two guests who were there for like i think two or three hours?

I hope things were cool with them after you left and it didn't like, descend into a nasty marital spat.

If anything I'd imagine it devolved into sadness at no one coming and sheepishness at overplanning.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Regardless of the inaccuracy of it I am just going to be honest Feral, that statement was pretty mean spirited and made me feel bad.

My apologies. I didn't mean it to cut you like that.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't think there's necessarily a justification to say 1,000,000,000:1 is "preferable" to 100:1. All things being equal, the argument would be that they're morally equivalent, because there's the same amount of suffering, which is not incoherent on its face. The conditions that produced the former ratio might be preferable to the conditions that produced the latter ratio, but that's more functional than inherently ethical.

I don't think it necessarily follows that the absolute number of people who aren't suffering also matters. That's one of the fundamental problems of utilitarianism, of course. If it does matter, it might be trivial in comparison to ethnic cleansing and mass exploitation, as you say.

The argument is probably more that absolute numbers are the most important element, i.e. if the number of people in extreme states of suffering is just steadily increasing, then your society is not doing a good job. Implicitly, the argument is that relying on proportion is sort of a cognitive trap to rationalize the failure to address systemic problems.

Moral frameworks that only consider suffering, that dismiss hedonia as irrelevant, are pretty silly. We generally accept that exchanging a small amount of suffering in exchange for significant deferred happiness is a sign of maturity.

That said, I agree that suffering is more important than hedonia; I've made that argument in chat before.

once you start assigning various levels of importance to different things it becomes difficult to argue either way. especially when we move away from purely theoretical considerations of 1 billion vs 100.

it's fine but then we can't really say society is better or worse than in the past.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    okay instead of being 100% a potato i have given my car a very thorough wash and dry

now I can be a mount&blade potato in good conscience

I started playing it

I am a Nord woman, as I suggested I would be.

I lead a band of 40 Nord men, and just swore fealty to King Ragnar in my latest play period because I was tired of being restricted to fighting sea raiders and bandits.

Now we're at war with the Swadians, and it should be a good time.

I only have one named companion - she's a merchant who spent her early years following behind the armies and selling them arms and armor as they needed them, but eventually developed a passion for the fight herself.

So she has the superior trade skill in the party, but I've also got her sufficiently equipped so that she can dive into the melee with me :D

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Yeah, no. It would only be true (2017, anyway) if that picture was in black and white.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    reading an article about miranda rights vs canadian interrogation/arrest procedures and this is the only comment
    It isn't just Miranda rights we don't have - WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms - along with the Constitution Act and other items - was rejected when we said NO to the Charlottetown Accord. Most laws rejected in this manner are simply passed in house, as these were. So, technically, it IS law. But go back further - to December of 1931 - the Statute of Westminster - which REQUIRES the INDEPENDENT SOVEREIGN PROVINCES to come together and form a CONFEDERATION, which has not been done. Furthermore, it also requires the Government of Canada to seek the approval of the people. The first and only attempt at this failed with the rejection of the Charlottetown Accord. So the approval to be a "nation" was rejected. Therefore, as Canada does not exist legally (except as a corporation), the Constitution Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms don't either. We have no rights.

amazing

Canada doesn't just have a Sovereign Citizen movement, they have a SOVEREIGN PROVINCE movement.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I feel faint but all I have is water

The struggle will continue

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have been weirdly preoccupied with the fact that we are all going to die over the last few weeks. It is not pleasant.

And then probably a perpetual void of nothingness but it's best not to think about it.

I mean, it's kinda comforting in a way.

All the bullshit that seem really important right now doesn't actually matter.

Everything's made up, everybody dies. Find someone that you like to hug and just try to make the best of it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    emnmnme wrote: »

Is ZP still at all relevant? I mean he's sometimes good but I feel like everybody knows him so well his opinions are basically foregone conclusions

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ah, so the difference is apparently that your request for counsel doesn't force Canadian police to stop the questioning

of course, you do have the right to remain silent, but it's not like police aren't good at getting people to open up

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I want mount and blade 2 to have the nemesis system. I also want it to come out sometime, it still doesn't have a release date on steam!

Big open world, cruising around building an army, run into that jerk who killed your favorite horse and see that he has a new patch where you took his eye last time, that'd be so good.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I love the show but it is seriously silly sometimes. Even with my general dislike for convenience technology.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Don't know what you mean by relevant, but I still watch it. It's amusing, probably more so than most free internet content I consume.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    matt it sounds like the main problem here was deciding to go to that party

eh, it wasn't the worst

but I do genuinely like the wife in that couple, she's a former co-worker and was the person I am actually friends with. Her husband I don't really care for and tbh I hadn't even met face to face before the party, dude's just sorta talked at me before on Facebook previously.

they're not bad people, they're just dorks and he's just a particularly irritating brand of dork who is aggressively Gen X in his sensibilities about the whole subject and it just gets tiresome to deal with

we went because we were 2 of 15 people invited and at that point literally nobody had confirmed going and my wife felt really bad for them and we had no plans that night anyway and when there's only 15 people invited it's hard to ghost someone, it's not like when there's 50 people invited and nobody notices you didn't respond

so we did it to be... polite?

and it wasn't god awful, they were nice people and they had very cute pet birds, i just find the dude irritating and kind of a stereotype dingus and it was sad to see how much effort they put into it for like, only two guests who were there for like i think two or three hours?

I hope things were cool with them after you left and it didn't like, descend into a nasty marital spat.

yeah my wife and i talked about that

this couple sometimes gets into pissy public passive aggressive snipes on facebook and shit so we're hoping they didn't get shitty with each other over this afterwards

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

See, that last thing just makes me wonder about consciousness, and then I get into a weird place because there is not actually an entity to experience, so what is even going on, what is a "consciousness," and why, and then also what if the universe is flat, then Poincaré recurrence probably happens and there is nothing distinguishing this me from the last or next cycle where all the quantum events line up like this, and have we done this a million times before, will we forever, never knowing about it? And that presupposes a "we" that survives, that there is an entity to experience each time through, but that is a falsehood so what even

Then I pet the kitty because she's rull cute

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    the downfall to swag bags came a bit earlier than that, though

had a year where there was so much shit in the bags, with weird shapes, that it was a nightmare getting them stuffed

so after that things had to meet certain dimensions, like if you wanted a shirt in there it'd need to be pre-folded and bagged etc

The only swag I miss are the magic decks. It was nice just having some pre-built ones to play folks with while waiting for things.

yeah wizards used to be pretty solid in handing those out and then they just... stopped

They still hand them out at different events, but only from the Wizards or Hasbro booth. I dunno if they still do them at PAX, since I haven't been since 2015.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I actually like World of Warships a lot. The very nature of ships make it more slow-paced and you need to follow through on your actions because you can't exactly turn on a dime. And if you do try to turn tail and run, you'll show lots of broadside for a good while unless you're in a destroyer or a nimble cruiser.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Canadian gun law is byzantine as fuck

I'll take byzantine as fuck as opposed to where I live where I can get in a bad mood and own a new firearm in 20 minutes

• Options

Yes...

That's the good news...

>.>

<.<

• Options

See, that last thing just makes me wonder about consciousness, and then I get into a weird place because there is not actually an entity to experience, so what is even going on, what is a "consciousness," and why, and then also what if the universe is flat, then Poincaré recurrence probably happens and there is nothing distinguishing this me from the last or next cycle where all the quantum events line up like this, and have we done this a million times before, will we forever, never knowing about it? And that presupposes a "we" that survives, that there is an entity to experience each time through, but that is a falsehood so what even

I literally went through something similar about a month ago and ended up just having a panic attack about it, so I just started going back to distracting myself any time my mind starts going down that particular hole

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    A (very innocent) girl I am friends with has texted both jokingly bragging about her knowledge of the circulatory system, and talked about how very comfortable her comfort zone is.

It is very difficult to not make jokes about those statements, but I perservere

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

I mean, it's kinda comforting in a way.

All the bullshit that seem really important right now doesn't actually matter.

Everything's made up, everybody dies. Find someone that you like to hug and just try to make the best of it.

Look, why can't someone who's been there just come up with a way to communicate with us and tell us what it's like. Not like they've got anything else to do.

...Unless the afterlife is just nonstop sick-ass benders. But that's gotta wear thin long enough for someone to want to throw us a bone!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Canadian gun law is byzantine as fuck

I'll take byzantine as fuck as opposed to where I live where I can get in a bad mood and own a new firearm in 20 minutes

Need a word with historical roots where its the opposite of byzantine and something is dangerously uncomplicated.

Oh wait

that's american isn't it.

womp womp

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

oh no

get takeout also!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    The good news is that if hell isn’t real then no one has to go there

• Options
    Being a devoted foot soldier in Mount and Blade is dangerous, though - I have 10 archers and 31 (including myself) foot soldiers, so I set my archers up on a hill and then set up halfway down the slope, and let the enemy come to me. Then, as they reach the bottom of our slope, we charge, but I like to lead from the front, inspire confidence in my men, you know?

But sometimes a perfectly timed spear thrust can knock out half of my health and suddenly I have to cower on the edges of the battle because holy Jesus that was close.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    wait if I'm reading this stuff right quebec isn't technically part of canada?

but everyone acts like they are anyway so now they are by default?

weird

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I literally went through something similar about a month ago and ended up just having a panic attack about it, so I just started going back to distracting myself any time my mind starts going down that particular hole

I mostly want to know if the universe is in a position to cycle, so that I can start having really weird philosophical thoughts about reliving things

But I've died every moment for the last thirty years, so like, why should I care about the last one

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during/after the great depression is a bit nonsensical

all we would need to compare them is another global war and the meteoric rise of a new global imperialist superpower

good thing I wasn't comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during after the great depression then

i mean is that not literally the question you asked?

@chanus no I was attempting to understand the relative impact. So comparing those entering the workforce after the great depression to those immediately before/after would give some insight into the loss of earnings on 30 year olds today when compared with their peers ~5 years older/younger. It seems a reasonable approach to me.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

oh no

get takeout also!

Does takeout mean delivery to you or is it like, to go into a restaurant and take away something you ordered ahead of time

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've too have been consumed utterly by nihilism lately, sometimes I drive home and just realize that someday I'm just going to wink out of existence, as is everyone else, and nothing matters really

and then I just play random youtube videos until I forget

override367 on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    in fact, I think PAX East 2015 was a kind of turning point year for PAX just in general.

How so

South opened that year. It was the last year for even remotely reasonable hotel prices. Last good swag year. Last year of Khoo (well 2016 really but he was months from retirement at that point). Last year with a scheduled signing event for Mike & Jerry. First year of AFK room.

The feel of things was just different in subsequent years. Thinner, more frantic, meaner, less game oriented!

• Options
    wait if I'm reading this stuff right quebec isn't technically part of canada?

but everyone acts like they are anyway so now they are by default?

weird

They really didn't want to be, and then we just sort of made them, and then they really didn't want to be so we held a few votes and they lost because for some reason the entire country got to weigh in, and now that they know we kinda want them to stay they've calmed down a bit and decided maybe we're not so bad.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    And I just had telework announced for tomorrow.

Total days in the office since December 21st? 2.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I mostly want to know if the universe is in a position to cycle, so that I can start having really weird philosophical thoughts about reliving things

But I've died every moment for the last thirty years, so like, why should I care about the last one

Because millions of years of evolution led to people caring about it even if they really didn't want to care about it?

This discussion has been closed.