As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I've too have been consumed utterly by nihilism lately, sometimes I drive home and just realize that someday I'm just going to wink out of existence, as is everyone else, and nothing matters really

and then I just play random youtube videos until I forget

Confirmed: override is a Logan Paul fan

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Legitimately, the actual issue is that Querry exists now, so suddenly I'm concerned with death in a way I wasn't before, and what happens after I die is a thing that I care about.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    As someone whose ancestral territory straddles the provincial borders between Ontario and Quebec

And who identifies and is legally identified as Métis ... shit's complicated!

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Couscous wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have been weirdly preoccupied with the fact that we are all going to die over the last few weeks. It is not pleasant.

Only eventually, is the good news.

I mean, maybe tomorrow, that's always a possibility.

But more likely, you've got at least another lifetime to live, minimum!

And then probably a perpetual void of nothingness but it's best not to think about it.

See, that last thing just makes me wonder about consciousness, and then I get into a weird place because there is not actually an entity to experience, so what is even going on, what is a "consciousness," and why, and then also what if the universe is flat, then Poincaré recurrence probably happens and there is nothing distinguishing this me from the last or next cycle where all the quantum events line up like this, and have we done this a million times before, will we forever, never knowing about it? And that presupposes a "we" that survives, that there is an entity to experience each time through, but that is a falsehood so what even

Then I pet the kitty because she's rull cute

I literally went through something similar about a month ago and ended up just having a panic attack about it, so I just started going back to distracting myself any time my mind starts going down that particular hole

I mostly want to know if the universe is in a position to cycle, so that I can start having really weird philosophical thoughts about reliving things

But I've died every moment for the last thirty years, so like, why should I care about the last one

Because millions of years of evolution led to people caring about it even if they really didn't want to care about it?

But why should I :P

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am also pretty sure we can thank evolution for making us think of inanimate objects as having feelings in many cases.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've too have been consumed utterly by nihilism lately, sometimes I drive home and just realize that someday I'm just going to wink out of existence, as is everyone else, and nothing matters really

Confirmed: override is a Logan Paul fan

I finally looked up exactly what all that hubbub had been about and hoo boy

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    can we at least figure out how to make cats and/or dogs immortal before I die

override367 on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I've started playing World of Warships somewhat frequently again.

I have a new Italian tier 5 battleship, the Giulio Cesare that served in both world wars.

Its gimmick is HE ammo, which BBs normally don't use -- they typicall want to put large holes in cruisers using armor-piercing ammo instead by aiming for the citadel and doing Tons Of Damage.

HE ammo does waaay less damage, but has like 4-7% chance to cause a fire that does ticking percentage damage.

The Giulio Cesare has 35% chance to set a fire with its main armament HE ammo.

I set fifteen fires in my first game.

I queued my old World of Tanks account, but I'm like tier ix and repairs are punishing and spotting mechanics have always been v bad

Do we have any war thunder players here?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Thought experiment: You can either make cats and dogs immortal or you can make humans immortal. Choose.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    in fact, I think PAX East 2015 was a kind of turning point year for PAX just in general.

How so

Thinner, more frantic, meaner, less game oriented!

so PAX is society's mirror, eh

*flicks ash*

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during/after the great depression is a bit nonsensical

all we would need to compare them is another global war and the meteoric rise of a new global imperialist superpower

good thing I wasn't comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during after the great depression then

i mean is that not literally the question you asked?

chanus no I was attempting to understand the relative impact. So comparing those entering the workforce after the great depression to those immediately before/after would give some insight into the loss of earnings on 30 year olds today when compared with their peers ~5 years older/younger. It seems a reasonable approach to me.

you might need to go more granular to get a really useful comparison, like specifically look at earnings potential that was forecasted before 1937 or something

world war II and the rise of America as a global superpower (and the addition of women to the workforce and major technological advances we can't even compare to today, such as the washing machine) are far greater factors in how things turned out for that generation

so really i don't know that the comparison is really anything other than an interesting data point as to what might have been maybe?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I have been weirdly preoccupied with the fact that we are all going to die over the last few weeks. It is not pleasant.

Only eventually, is the good news.

I mean, maybe tomorrow, that's always a possibility.

But more likely, you've got at least another lifetime to live, minimum!

And then probably a perpetual void of nothingness but it's best not to think about it.

See, that last thing just makes me wonder about consciousness, and then I get into a weird place because there is not actually an entity to experience, so what is even going on, what is a "consciousness," and why, and then also what if the universe is flat, then Poincaré recurrence probably happens and there is nothing distinguishing this me from the last or next cycle where all the quantum events line up like this, and have we done this a million times before, will we forever, never knowing about it? And that presupposes a "we" that survives, that there is an entity to experience each time through, but that is a falsehood so what even

Then I pet the kitty because she's rull cute

I literally went through something similar about a month ago and ended up just having a panic attack about it, so I just started going back to distracting myself any time my mind starts going down that particular hole

I mostly want to know if the universe is in a position to cycle, so that I can start having really weird philosophical thoughts about reliving things

But I've died every moment for the last thirty years, so like, why should I care about the last one

Ahh that’s weird, I had the “cycling” thought as well when I started going into panic attack.

Of course, I don’t have much to add on it, just a “I kinda hope it’s somehing like that because any other alternative is so much scarier to me”

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Jesus, I've never watched Zero Punctuality stuff before

is he always that annoying?

That top 5 video literally gave me a headache

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    can we at least figure out how to make dogs immortal before my dog dies
    FTFY

Thought experiment: You can either make cats and dogs immortal or you can make humans immortal. Choose.

i make myself immortal and dedicated myself to ensuring dogs and cats have happy lives forever

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    in fact, I think PAX East 2015 was a kind of turning point year for PAX just in general.

How so

South opened that year. It was the last year for even remotely reasonable hotel prices. Last good swag year. Last year of Khoo (well 2016 really but he was months from retirement at that point). Last year with a scheduled signing event for Mike & Jerry. First year of AFK room.

The feel of things was just different in subsequent years. Thinner, more frantic, meaner, less game oriented!

what's wrong with the AFK room?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Cats and dogs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Legitimately, the actual issue is that Querry exists now, so suddenly I'm concerned with death in a way I wasn't before, and what happens after I die is a thing that I care about.

It's a little excessive to be concerned about your adult partner, but I DO marvel at people like my brother who have a child and have to think about what happens after their death all the time!

Also my mom keeps writing and rewriting her will recently and she keeps leaving half to me and I keep getting very frustrated with her. :P

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    A majority of the know nothing 20 year olds are responsible for analysing a majority of the financial audit data and that never seemed to bother me until just now.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I was driving to work today thinking about how all the metal I saw, all the cars, fences, guard rails light poles, everything, was underground at some point and now it's not. Trillions of pounds of metal everywhere and now it's up on top of everything instead of underground.

nibXTE7.png
    Delmain wrote: »

It's called Zero Punctuation because he talks really fast and doesn't slow down

Many of the game ones are pretty funny, though he's negative about basically everything, that's the shtick.

Also the only thing the Escapist still has with any merit from what I understand.

edited January 2018
    I'm starting to think the reason I'm so depressed is my pets are all dead and I don't have any real friends, like, people I could talk to about depression, all I can do is howl into the void of the internet

I need to have a cat I can lay next to and cry at or something

override367 on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I make dogs immortal and then turn myself into a dog.

Check mate athiests.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think the reason I'm so depressed is my pets are all dead and I don't have any real friends, like, people I could talk to about depression or why I hate life, all I can do is howl into the void of the internet

I need to have a cat I can lay next to and cry at or something

Get a kitty!!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    edited January 2018
    its like a $500 pet deposit at my apartment :(

mercifully im moving soon

override367 on
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

I haven't watched it but the man hasn't deviated in his...christ, three or so years of doing these? So probably yes.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin

Don't tell anyone, but get a kitty.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    reading an article about miranda rights vs canadian interrogation/arrest procedures and this is the only comment
    It isn't just Miranda rights we don't have - WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms - along with the Constitution Act and other items - was rejected when we said NO to the Charlottetown Accord. Most laws rejected in this manner are simply passed in house, as these were. So, technically, it IS law. But go back further - to December of 1931 - the Statute of Westminster - which REQUIRES the INDEPENDENT SOVEREIGN PROVINCES to come together and form a CONFEDERATION, which has not been done. Furthermore, it also requires the Government of Canada to seek the approval of the people. The first and only attempt at this failed with the rejection of the Charlottetown Accord. So the approval to be a "nation" was rejected. Therefore, as Canada does not exist legally (except as a corporation), the Constitution Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms don't either. We have no rights.

amazing

I'm jealous

I need to find some norwegian sovereign citizens

ftOqU21.png

I was talking about mass extinctions with my roommate the other day, and I said “that would be awful if humans wound up being the only living species somehow. I’d probably kill myself.”

So cats and dogs I guess.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

Aww

Ok make pet friendliness a priority in your next search!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during/after the great depression is a bit nonsensical

all we would need to compare them is another global war and the meteoric rise of a new global imperialist superpower

good thing I wasn't comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during after the great depression then

i mean is that not literally the question you asked?

chanus no I was attempting to understand the relative impact. So comparing those entering the workforce after the great depression to those immediately before/after would give some insight into the loss of earnings on 30 year olds today when compared with their peers ~5 years older/younger. It seems a reasonable approach to me.

you might need to go more granular to get a really useful comparison, like specifically look at earnings potential that was forecasted before 1937 or something

world war II and the rise of America as a global superpower (and the addition of women to the workforce and major technological advances we can't even compare to today, such as the washing machine) are far greater factors in how things turned out for that generation

so really i don't know that the comparison is really anything other than an interesting data point as to what might have been maybe?

are you saying ww2 and the rise of America as a global superpower only affected those entering the workforce during the great depression and not those that entered 5 years before or 5 years after?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Pax is still fun even if the con isn't as fun

and I still like the Con

The indie booths are cool

Also sometimes Richard Garriot is just at his booth talking to people like a coked out werewolf.

But Pax is the only time I get to hang out with anyone I actually consider friends and well

I'd pay a lot more a day for that than I already do

so

there I guess

tyrannus wrote: »
    A majority of the know nothing 20 year olds are responsible for analysing a majority of the financial audit data and that never seemed to bother me until just now.

do they also do all the credit ratings

• porpporp Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    matt it sounds like the main problem here was deciding to go to that party

eh, it wasn't the worst

but I do genuinely like the wife in that couple, she's a former co-worker and was the person I am actually friends with. Her husband I don't really care for and tbh I hadn't even met face to face before the party, dude's just sorta talked at me before on Facebook previously.

they're not bad people, they're just dorks and he's just a particularly irritating brand of dork who is aggressively Gen X in his sensibilities about the whole subject and it just gets tiresome to deal with

we went because we were 2 of 15 people invited and at that point literally nobody had confirmed going and my wife felt really bad for them and we had no plans that night anyway and when there's only 15 people invited it's hard to ghost someone, it's not like when there's 50 people invited and nobody notices you didn't respond

so we did it to be... polite?

and it wasn't god awful, they were nice people and they had very cute pet birds, i just find the dude irritating and kind of a stereotype dingus and it was sad to see how much effort they put into it for like, only two guests who were there for like i think two or three hours?

Oh em gee. Must you beat this guy down more? You don't mesh with him and you think he's sad and the party was sad. End of story.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    reading an article about miranda rights vs canadian interrogation/arrest procedures and this is the only comment
    It isn't just Miranda rights we don't have - WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms - along with the Constitution Act and other items - was rejected when we said NO to the Charlottetown Accord. Most laws rejected in this manner are simply passed in house, as these were. So, technically, it IS law. But go back further - to December of 1931 - the Statute of Westminster - which REQUIRES the INDEPENDENT SOVEREIGN PROVINCES to come together and form a CONFEDERATION, which has not been done. Furthermore, it also requires the Government of Canada to seek the approval of the people. The first and only attempt at this failed with the rejection of the Charlottetown Accord. So the approval to be a "nation" was rejected. Therefore, as Canada does not exist legally (except as a corporation), the Constitution Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms don't either. We have no rights.

amazing

I'm jealous

I need to find some norwegian sovereign citizens

I feel like the crusty, barnacled fishermen who live in little huts way up north are living the dream

I have no idea if these people exist but just imagine Odin in Thor Ragnorok

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

It's a little excessive to be concerned about your adult partner, but I DO marvel at people like my brother who have a child and have to think about what happens after their death all the time!

Also my mom keeps writing and rewriting her will recently and she keeps leaving half to me and I keep getting very frustrated with her. :P

I don't have kids, and could still die before her, and I care about her.

Ludious you like the con

But

What about the pro

The PRO, ludious!

PRO

I reached a point in Horizon: Zero Dawn where I discovered (very vague spoiler)
    Most of what the title means
    and I both really want to finish so I don't get spoiled on anything else and also really want to talk about that because good god it is fascinating. Not sure how much game I have left.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Steady snow in Charleston for about half an hour now. Dang bomb cyclone circled around us.

I'm sure once it makes it more inland it'll start up here, but I would be happy to be wrong.

porp wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    matt it sounds like the main problem here was deciding to go to that party

eh, it wasn't the worst

but I do genuinely like the wife in that couple, she's a former co-worker and was the person I am actually friends with. Her husband I don't really care for and tbh I hadn't even met face to face before the party, dude's just sorta talked at me before on Facebook previously.

they're not bad people, they're just dorks and he's just a particularly irritating brand of dork who is aggressively Gen X in his sensibilities about the whole subject and it just gets tiresome to deal with

we went because we were 2 of 15 people invited and at that point literally nobody had confirmed going and my wife felt really bad for them and we had no plans that night anyway and when there's only 15 people invited it's hard to ghost someone, it's not like when there's 50 people invited and nobody notices you didn't respond

so we did it to be... polite?

and it wasn't god awful, they were nice people and they had very cute pet birds, i just find the dude irritating and kind of a stereotype dingus and it was sad to see how much effort they put into it for like, only two guests who were there for like i think two or three hours?

Oh em gee. Must you beat this guy down more? You don't mesh with him and you think he's sad and the party was sad. End of story.

expounding at length is kinda matt's thing!

This discussion has been closed.