As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I feel faint but all I have is water

The struggle will continue

oh no

get takeout also!

Does takeout mean delivery to you or is it like, to go into a restaurant and take away something you ordered ahead of time

Yes, I use it to mean delivery. What do I say when I mean I'm going to order food and then go pick it up at the restaurant? "I'd like to place an order for take out?" Or do I say "to pick up"?

Am I using takeout incorrectly? Does it primarily mean to pick up from a restaurant rather than to have the food delivered? I could easily have been misusing language this whole time without realizing...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    in fact, I think PAX East 2015 was a kind of turning point year for PAX just in general.

How so

South opened that year. It was the last year for even remotely reasonable hotel prices. Last good swag year. Last year of Khoo (well 2016 really but he was months from retirement at that point). Last year with a scheduled signing event for Mike & Jerry. First year of AFK room.

The feel of things was just different in subsequent years. Thinner, more frantic, meaner, less game oriented!

what's wrong with the AFK room?

Nothing! It's a cool addition! But it's a sort of marker of when the character of the show changed somewhat.

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    there are no norweigian sovereign citizens. The rules set down by Odin's raven Huginn when he established the kingdom are waterproof.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious you like the con

But

What about the pro

The PRO, ludious!

PRO

like the pro gamers? I dunno I'm not really allowed to talk to highschool kids

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    okay that was actually super easy to find but I'm a bit disappointed that I can only find ones that are echoing american sovereign citizens

I was hoping for some homegrown conspiracy theories

ftOqU21.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    They made a horror movie about an evil truth or dare game. Like good lord.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    who all is going to east anyways

I need to figure out my posse

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Applied for this job teaching seniors in the graphic design department at the local college and holy shit I want this

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I saw a photo of Berlusconi and jesus christ whose face did they glue to his skull?

0s908p41k4h4.png

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to think the reason I'm so depressed is my pets are all dead and I don't have any real friends, like, people I could talk to about depression or why I hate life, all I can do is howl into the void of the internet

I need to have a cat I can lay next to and cry at or something

Get a kitty!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_KKiQiolk

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
    Then a shrink says "I dunno. Maybe get a kitten?"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    @ludious what hotel are you booked at

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I saw a photo of Berlusconi and jesus christ whose face did they glue to his skull?

0s908p41k4h4.png

that looks less real than Peter Cushing in R1

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

we're going

@anyone else going to pax east I guess

wut hotel

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    What there is in a lot of even modest-sized communities, and they can sometimes be hard to find, is "open to everyone" community centers, usually kept afloat with donations or through the support of one community organization or another. The one here in Oshawa is called "The Living Room", and it's a free arts & creativity & socializing space and is where I've met all of my non-group friends, though most of my friends from group also go to The Living Room every Saturday morning. It's a place, outside of our mental health groups and classes, etc., where we can feel comfortable talking about our real shit, 'cause often people have something they need to get off their chest. It's very restorative, most weeks.

It's where I met NYE-Kiss-Girl the first two times, too :D

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    $500 pet deposit is a normal thing for big cities

When places charge pet rent, that's what makes me flip tables.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

oh no

get takeout also!

Does takeout mean delivery to you or is it like, to go into a restaurant and take away something you ordered ahead of time

Yes, I use it to mean delivery. What do I say when I mean I'm going to order food and then go pick it up at the restaurant? "I'd like to place an order for take out?" Or do I say "to pick up"?

Am I using takeout incorrectly? Does it primarily mean to pick up from a restaurant rather than to have the food delivered? I could easily have been misusing language this whole time without realizing...

I dunno, it seems like a nebulous word due to different regions and cultures

I don't even know what the UK means with their entire food ordering nomenclature

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

I would like to, but need to figure out finances and all that horribleness. I guess I should start scoping out hotels.

oh no

get takeout also!

"Take out" and "pick up" are usually synonymous, in my experience.

a
    Qanamil wrote: »

I would like to, but need to figure out finances and all that horribleness. I guess I should start scoping out hotels.

ya im not 100% yet cuz still no hard info on raise but hotels are cancellable up until the day before usually so gonna go ahead and book

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Jesus, I've never watched Zero Punctuality stuff before

is he always that annoying?

That top 5 video literally gave me a headache

It's called Zero Punctuation because he talks really fast and doesn't slow down

Many of the game ones are pretty funny, though he's negative about basically everything, that's the shtick.

Also the only thing the Escapist still has with any merit from what I understand.

the escapist youtube channel being literally just yahtzee stuff is just... it's just so sad

ftOqU21.png
    @ludious what hotel are you booked at

Doubletree by Hilton Downtown Boston

821 Washington Street,
    Boston, MA 02111
    1.40 miles to Event Location

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Need that change rull bad

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I have been weirdly preoccupied with the fact that we are all going to die over the last few weeks. It is not pleasant.

I didn’t die over the last few weeks at all

QED

I have another trip planned so we cannot this year.

BC is graduating!

Feral wrote: »
    $500 pet deposit is a normal thing for big cities

When places charge pet rent, that's what makes me flip tables.

what about non-refundable pet deposits aka one-time fees

I'm mostly ok with it I think

Let's all brigade a small anime con and then make out

BC is graduating!

goddamit spool

Abdhyius wrote: »
    reading an article about miranda rights vs canadian interrogation/arrest procedures and this is the only comment
    It isn't just Miranda rights we don't have - WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms - along with the Constitution Act and other items - was rejected when we said NO to the Charlottetown Accord. Most laws rejected in this manner are simply passed in house, as these were. So, technically, it IS law. But go back further - to December of 1931 - the Statute of Westminster - which REQUIRES the INDEPENDENT SOVEREIGN PROVINCES to come together and form a CONFEDERATION, which has not been done. Furthermore, it also requires the Government of Canada to seek the approval of the people. The first and only attempt at this failed with the rejection of the Charlottetown Accord. So the approval to be a "nation" was rejected. Therefore, as Canada does not exist legally (except as a corporation), the Constitution Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms don't either. We have no rights.

amazing

I'm jealous

I need to find some norwegian sovereign citizens

I feel like the crusty, barnacled fishermen who live in little huts way up north are living the dream

I have no idea if these people exist but just imagine Odin in Thor Ragnorok

they're watching life slowly drain out of their communities

some of them get to watch that while also watching tourists tear everything to shit and strain their resources way past the breaking point

ftOqU21.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

I went from basically-guaranteed attendance to most-probably-not in the span of a few weeks, which is a bit sad :(

But y'all know me - if I can make it happen, I will. It's April in Boston, I'll bring a sleeping bag and find somewhere to catch a snooze :wink:

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m going to bed now chatbutt night I love you don’t fight too much unless it’s for my love

BC is graduating!

Omg let's all brigade bc's graduation

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during/after the great depression is a bit nonsensical

all we would need to compare them is another global war and the meteoric rise of a new global imperialist superpower

good thing I wasn't comparing 30 year olds today to those entering the workforce during after the great depression then

i mean is that not literally the question you asked?

chanus no I was attempting to understand the relative impact. So comparing those entering the workforce after the great depression to those immediately before/after would give some insight into the loss of earnings on 30 year olds today when compared with their peers ~5 years older/younger. It seems a reasonable approach to me.

you might need to go more granular to get a really useful comparison, like specifically look at earnings potential that was forecasted before 1937 or something

world war II and the rise of America as a global superpower (and the addition of women to the workforce and major technological advances we can't even compare to today, such as the washing machine) are far greater factors in how things turned out for that generation

so really i don't know that the comparison is really anything other than an interesting data point as to what might have been maybe?

are you saying ww2 and the rise of America as a global superpower only affected those entering the workforce during the great depression and not those that entered 5 years before or 5 years after?

I don't know that earnings potential at the time is even comparable at any point given all the surrounding conditions.

I suppose it's still probably the case that earnings were more affected for those of a certain age, but I don't really see that the comparison to today is like enough to be apples to apples.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    they just give you cookies at doubletrees

warm cookies

there's a little warming box behind the front desk and they just give them to you if you keep asking for them

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I kind of want to do a [chat]-PAX this year

I wanted to do one last year and apparently a bunch of people did but I was uninformed of that

Just pick somewhere and hang out for a week(-end maybe)

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "takeout" is ambiguous--often it means exclusively pickup orders, but can include both pickup orders and delivery orders

best to avoid it and use "pickup" and "delivery"

BC is graduating!

goddamit spool

well I assume she is, I haven't asked her how the final project is going.

If she flunks her last semester I'll be at PAX for sure!

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    they just give you cookies at doubletrees

warm cookies

there's a little warming box behind the front desk and they just give them to you if you keep asking for them

what

that's not true

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    i got my passport this year because of the cruise

theoretically i could go to seattle for pax prime

theoretically

but why would i do that

who would want to hang out with me

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I kind of want to do a [chat]-PAX this year

I wanted to do one last year and apparently a bunch of people did but I was uninformed of that

Just pick somewhere and hang out for a week(-end maybe)

a [chat] meetup that cost less than $1500 would be preferable yeah

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.