As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I found a tick, what do I do now?

SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I found a tick moving around in my bed last night. At least, I think it's a tick. It is 3 mm long and teardrop-shaped with white stripes on a black body. It has really tiny legs, and every picture of a tick that I've seen has had large legs.

What should I do?

And then I voted.
Serphimera on

• BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    check your self for ticks? and if found remove them.

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • DakalDakal Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wash your sheets, look on the mattress for more of those things. Then, look in the carpet.

If you haven't already, have a shower. That always helps clear your mind.

If you find anymore anywhere, clean like a mofo. Then look into finding some sort of insecticide to spread that is non-toxic to humans and pets. If you got bit, go to the doctor and tell him you may have been bit by a tick.

Dakal on
  • BRAINS!BRAINS! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Make sure it isn't a bed bug. 3mm is pretty small for the common deer tick. (depending on where you live)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug

Otherwise it could be a small nymph tick - could be only one too... depending on if you were (or pet was) recently in tall grass or the like.

Do you have a pet that sleeps with you?

BRAINS! on
  • RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Would getting an exterminator to spray your place be a viable option for getting rid of ticks, if you're really paranoid?

Rubick on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I usually hold them with a pair of tweezers and then light them on fire.

But if you didn't find her attached to you and she's not already engorged with blood, you probably don't have lyme disease. Plus I think only Deer Ticks have lyme disease, and what you described doesn't sound like a deer tick.

And goddamnit now I have that crawling feeling on my legs. Thanks a lot.

Ruckus on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dakal wrote: »
    Wash your sheets, look on the mattress for more of those things. Then, look in the carpet.

If you haven't already, have a shower. That always helps clear your mind.

If you find anymore anywhere, clean like a mofo. Then look into finding some sort of insecticide to spread that is non-toxic to humans and pets. If you got bit, go to the doctor and tell him you may have been bit by a tick.

Do you live out in the woods, or near the woods at all, or do you have a problem with stray outdoor animals near your house. If any of the above is no then it's likely it wasn't a tick. Not impossible mind you, just unlikely. Above posters had it right though. Check yourself good, get someone else to help if you have to, or go to a doctor if you're that worried about it, but make sure there isn't one on you.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's definitely not a bed bug. And my cat lives outside, but I do have lots of stray animals outside my apartment (eating the cat's food).

Thanks guys. I'll go wash my sheets again now.

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I usually hold them with a pair of tweezers and then light them on fire.

But if you didn't find her attached to you and she's not already engorged with blood, you probably don't have lyme disease. Plus I think only Deer Ticks have lyme disease, and what you described doesn't sound like a deer tick.

And goddamnit now I have that crawling feeling on my legs. Thanks a lot.
    actually, there are several types of ticks that carry lymes. they don't really have deer ticks out in CA, and I still got it this year.

if it wasn't attached or engorged you are fine. be on the look out for the ring, (though it isn't always there or in my case it went away within a day or 2). if you get super tired and joints start hurting go see your doctor.

i actually tested negative, but had all the symptoms, the tests are known to be crap.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You pretty much described the kind of ticks I used to get on myself all the time after being out in tall grass or a forest. Nothing to really worry about, it happens. Also they don't really bite, they suck your blood and you will always (unless you are in some serious way handicapped) find them before they leave (they get to the size of a grape). Just pull them off with your fingers or a pair of tweezers with a little care, it won't be infected unless the head gets left in and you leave it in there.

True story, I had one on my balls once and I had to use a pair of tweezers to rip it off after many failed attempts with my fingers. When I did finally get it off it tore a good chunk of skin off with it.

Fizban140 on
  • kevbotkevbot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I always found that hydrogen peroxide worked the best for getting ticks off... you just pour a bit in a little bottle and immerse them in it for a bit... they usually drop right off.

kevbot on
    Your music is bad, and you should feel bad!
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the best way is to just grab the head and pull. if you use other stuff you risk them 1) going in deeper, 2) releasing any diseases into you

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes, wikipedia says agitating the tick while it is attached increases the risk of the tick regurgitating bacteria into your skin oh god this is gross

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • BronzeDuckBronzeDuck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you find one on/in you, take a pair of tweezers, work them to around the head, not the body, and pull. Many of the other ways to remove a tick from you will either leave the head in you, or will cause the tick to regurgitate back into your bloodstream, increasing the chances for disease. You can then take the tick to the doctor and they can test the tick for Lyme and treat you if necessary, rather than waiting for symptoms to show up on you.

BronzeDuck on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really doubt you need to take the tick to the doctor and have it tested for Lymes disease. Just kill the tick, check yo body for more ticks. Have a close look at your bedsheets and the general area for ticks.

I don't know where you are located, but generally ticks do not like the winter and I don't think you'll find many more roaming around. The only times I ever find any are when they hitch a ride on me inside. I have never had to deal with ticks coming inside.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've had plenty of ticks on me as I live kind of out in the woods. If you ever get bitten, just get tweezers, grab him by the base of the head with them (as close to your skin as possible) and pull him out. Shouldn't hurt at all - its not like pulling a splinter or anything

As for your sheets, just give them a good scan and maybe wash them. Ticks aren't really like termites or something where they'll "infest" your home

Frostozuna on