As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fire and Fury - Trump/Bannon Love is Over?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Wow, the Daily News is NOT pulling punches:

Josh Marshall is owner and proprietor of TalkingPointsMemo.

That's...one hell of a cover.

Edit: And one hell of a TOTP, too.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    WaPo reporter

I wonder how long alt-right 'populism' is going to last if all the huge donors start jumping ship.

"Not very long" seems the obvious answer.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-attorney-sends-bannon-cease-desist-letter-disparaging/story?id=52128555
    Trump attorney sends Bannon cease and desist letter over 'disparaging' comments

Lawyers on behalf of President Donald Trump sent a letter Wednesday night to former White House Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon demanding he refrain from making disparaging comments against the president and his family.

The letter, comes after excerpts from a forthcoming book by journalist Michael Wolff were made public Wednesday, causing a stir.

In the letter to Bannon, Trump attorney Charles Harder, writes, “You [Bannon] have breached the Agreement by, among other things, communicating with author Michael Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company [the campaign], disclosing Confidential Information to Mr. Wolff, and making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr. Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members.”

In the letter, Trump’s attorney says that “remedies for your breach of the agreement include but are not limited to monetary damages” though no dollar amount is disclosed.

[...]
    Has Trump ever attempted to use the NDA's he had his employees sign before?

Couscous on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-attorney-sends-bannon-cease-desist-letter-disparaging/story?id=52128555

Lawyers on behalf of President Donald Trump sent a letter Wednesday night to former White House Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon demanding he refrain from making disparaging comments against the president and his family.

The letter, comes after excerpts from a forthcoming book by journalist Michael Wolff were made public Wednesday, causing a stir.

In the letter to Bannon, Trump attorney Charles Harder, writes, “You [Bannon] have breached the Agreement by, among other things, communicating with author Michael Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company [the campaign], disclosing Confidential Information to Mr. Wolff, and making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr. Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members.”

In the letter, Trump’s attorney says that “remedies for your breach of the agreement include but are not limited to monetary damages” though no dollar amount is disclosed.

[...]
    Holy shit I forgot he had people on the campaign staff sign those.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Ahahahahahhahahahaha! :D

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The funniest part is with Wolff's history it's like 50-50 he made all the quotes up.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

[...]
    Holy shit I forgot he had people on the campaign staff sign those.

I'm actually really surprised this hasn't come up sooner.

These things are like legal hokum that have only ever worked because of the power imbalance between Trump and his employees, right?

Like whistleblower protections at the very least have to make them bunk.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ahahahahahhahahahaha! :D
    It doesn't mean much until there is an actual lawsuit given how many people Trump claimed he would sue or had his lawyers attack without suing.

Washington Post reporter with the lawyer's statement:

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    At the very least that means Bannon knows something Trump doesn't want getting out there.
    the pee tape is real

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Discovery for that lawsuit will be amazing.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The funniest part is with Wolff's history it's like 50-50 he made all the quotes up.

If it got the Mercer's to drop Bannon it don't even matter. Hell, it'd be funnier that way.

shryke wrote: »

If it got the Mercer's to drop Bannon it don't even matter. Hell, it'd be funnier that way.

Exactly!

Trump melting down and Breitbart's funding vanishing because these idiots believe tabloids more than WaPo is goddamn amazing.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd rather this wind up hurting Trump, but I'd be a liar if said I didn't enjoy the idea of Bannon's career being ruined by Trump going ham on him.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    It's hilarious that he's going after BANNON for this, not Wolff. But that stinger at the end about how Bannon signed a nondisparagement agreement really seals that. It's been a while since I last heard about one of those idiotic insane unenforceable things he was making all his volunteers sign.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'd rather this wind up hurting Trump, but I'd be a liar if said I didn't enjoy the idea of Bannon's career being ruined by Trump going ham on him.

porque no los dos?

Fencingsax on
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    What I find insane is that Bannon thought:
    • That Trump was going to pick him over Ivanka and Jared.
    • That the base was going to pick him over Trump.
    • That Trump was going to let him get away with leaking to the press.
    • For that matter, that Roy Moore was actually electable.
    Dude's completely delusional so is not surprising that Trump dumped him when it reached critical mass. Meanwhile, here's Don Jr. on the matter:

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    It slightly horrifies me that I read something from Jr and thought "He's not wrong".

I completely agree with that tweet.

Does this mean they’re blaming Bannon for all the leaks during Trump’s time in office? Those did seem to die down a lot recently.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Dude's completely delusional so is not surprising that Trump dumped him when it reached critical mass. Meanwhile, here's Don Jr. on the matter:

Funny how all the people president daddy hired ended up being coffee boys who had zero access to the president or malicious, corrupt opportunists who lack the competence or integrity to be worthy of serving in the government

Funny it keeps happening over and over and over

Funny that

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Does this mean they’re blaming Bannon for all the leaks during Trump’s time in office? Those did seem to die down a lot recently.

Well, everyone has lawyers now because of Mueller, and presumably some of them have been telling their clients to just shut the fuck up.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

And so is your father, and sister, and brother in law....

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Wolff seems to suggest that Kelly getting involved is what really clamped down on those. Not letting journalists wander around freely would tend to reduce the number of leaks...

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

And so is your father, and sister, and brother in law....

Only sweet Eric is pure and untainted, protected by his simple love of RC racers and shooting endangered safari animals

Actually I am curious to learn if Eric is the only member of the adult Trump constellation of stupid offspring to avoid being implicated in some major crime by one of the flapping lips featured in this tell-all

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    There's also the forgotten Trump, Tiffany.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    McConnell has nothing to lose by fucking Trump over now

The lifers got their Tax Plan, Ryan's stepping down to try to dodge his ties to the whole Russia thing, Pence is a dolt and may wind up in prison, and Hatch and (probably) Cochran are stepping down.

Turning on Trump isn't going to make their 2018 hopes worse, but it might save their own jobs, and if something happens to the Admin this year, noted non-fan of Trump Chuck Grassely is on-deck for succession.

Seriously. McConnell could go around drawing dicks on Trump's face and not be any worse off than he is right now.

On the one hand, Trump bankrupting Bannon would be awesome.

On the other hand, if Trump somehow loses, every single person who signed one of those NDAs will know they’re meaningless.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

On the other hand, if Trump somehow loses, every single person who signed one of those NDAs will know they’re meaningless.

My understanding of the US legal system is that merely winning doesn't give you any protection from being bankrupted by legal fees. How much money does Bannon actually have?

V1m on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The NDA applied to the Trump for President campaign.

There’s no way he can expect that to extend to his Presidency, and outside of not revealing privileged information, a President cannot make White House staff sign NDAs.

I’ve no idea. Also, CNN’s social media reporter has been taking the hit for us and listening to Bannon host a radio show tonight. He didn’t say a word about Trump until a caller asked him directly, and then Bannon praised Trump and said he supported him.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Didn't the NDAs have some nearly Scientologically open-ended language, like prohibiting any past, present or future disparagement?

Trump can decisively lose the suit and still leave Bannon's bank accounts on fire through legal fees. The glorious best-case scenario is possible.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I’ve no idea. Also, CNN’s social media reporter has been taking the hit for us and listening to Bannon host a radio show tonight. He didn’t say a word about Trump until a caller asked him directly, and then Bannon praised Trump and said he supported him.

This is the kind of quote that has a meaning which can vary dramatically depending on the tone in which it was uttered.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Puppets do tend to dance around if you jiggle the purse they're tied to. Perhaps the Mercer's withdrawal is changing Bannon's opinion.

Label on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

My understanding of the US legal system is that merely winning doesn't give you any protection from being bankrupted by legal fees. How much money does Bannon actually have?

I would assume that after being told they weren't enforceable, any attempts to sue anyone else over them would satisfy criteria for being made to pay attorney's fees, and given the publicity level I'd imagine lawyers could be found by third parties (and possibly pro bono).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It is entirely possible that Bannon will sprinkle I some compliments in between his disses on Trump, which will give people on both sides of the skirmish room to maintain their status quo. If you want to support both Trump and Bannon, it's "Oh, he said the president is great, the fallout between them is just fake news." If you want to support Bannon and disown Trump, it's "Bannon hates Trump, listen to what he said, the idea that he supports Trump is fake news."

The upshot of this whole affair is that anyone gets to believe anything they want and find the soundbites to prove it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Funny how all the people president daddy hired ended up being coffee boys who had zero access to the president or malicious, corrupt opportunists who lack the competence or integrity to be worthy of serving in the government

Funny it keeps happening over and over and over

Funny that

the best people

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm leaning towards this being Bannon trying to get ahead of the shit storm that is likely to further doom Trump's political career. I'd be surprised if he wasn't fully aware of the collusion with the Russians. At this point he doesn't have anything to lose by turning on Trump.

As for the NDA, this could be rather amusing. I think the best case Scenario is that it results in Bannon being broke, but still winning the suit. The best thing will be how that likely opens a proverbial flood gate, that is will fuck the Trump's because once they loose one NDA case, others will decide they have nothing to lose by tearing that garbage up and speaking out.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that Bannon will sprinkle I some compliments in between his disses on Trump, which will give people on both sides of the skirmish room to maintain their status quo. If you want to support both Trump and Bannon, it's "Oh, he said the president is great, the fallout between them is just fake news." If you want to support Bannon and disown Trump, it's "Bannon hates Trump, listen to what he said, the idea that he supports Trump is fake news."

The upshot of this whole affair is that anyone gets to believe anything they want and find the soundbites to prove it.

That doesn't work, though, because then they'll be fighting eachother.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Bannon has been threatened by lawyers. Of course he's not going to take a steaming dump until the matter is settled, because unlike Trump, he probably actually listens to his own when he tells him to shut up.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So we're allowed to be happy at these two idiots tearing into each other right? Is there a downside to this at all?