As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how to clean tarnished pins

BaconGreaseBaconGrease Registered User regular
anyone have any tips on cleaning tarnished pins, particularly the first couple club pa pins I have have lost some luster.

ZsbflUq.png

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Was it @Hingo that had the secret sauce?

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I really need to just make a video on this.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    InterestingMixInterestingMix A little bit of everything really Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Waiting on that video @hingo :P

m6s4s1d.png

Woosh!
  • Options
    @InterestingMix shhhh. This weekend perhaps?!?!

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    @bacongrease, since your cries for help have seemingly gone unanswered here are some basic cleaning options:

1) Good old classic warm soapy water. You would be surprised how much of that gunk is just dirt.
    2) A solution of vinegar/water. What ratio? It varies depending on which old wife you ask. Try 2:1 water/vinegar maybe.
    3) Polishing cloth for metals (silver/gold/brass/etc). This is a special soft cloth, I think it's treated with a micro-abrasive. A word of warning, use a light touch especially on gold plated pins. If you polish them too much, you WILL remove all of the plating and the base silver color will show!

Another recommendation - store your pins with silica packets. You know those things you get in packaging that say DO NOT EAT? They'll slow the oxidation process which is causing tarnish. The domestic handyman has known this little secret for years, and if you put a few silica packets in your toolbox it will also prevent rust on your favorite socket wrench.

• Options
    MannaRaeMannaRae Sam PennsylvaniaRegistered User new member
    I had success with a sterling silver polishing cloth and a very gentle scrub of warm water and baking soda.

• Options
    phicar2phicar2 Registered User regular
    where is the video? :)

• Options
    I need to trade for a tarnished pin at South first. #notarnishhumblebrag

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    somebody get Hingo a tarnished pin pronto! :)

• Options
    Easiest thing that's ever worked for me is 1:1 to 1:2 mixture of water:vinegar, and use a lens cleaning microfiber cloth. I wear nitrile gloves to keep from getting any more oils or dirt on the pins once clean. I've had the Club PA 2014 and 2015 pins in a display for around 2 years now, and they aren't showing any distinct signs of tarnish.

Pins for trade!
  • Options
    fabulous, thanks! will give that a try this weekend. much appreciated!

• Options
    MannaRaeMannaRae Sam PennsylvaniaRegistered User new member
    I can now say that the most effective substance I have used is Bar Keepers Friend.. it took 10 seconds to restore two Club PA 2016 flags to their former shiny glory... just make sure you follow the directions on the container :)