As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Skiffers

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Skiffers

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    lol Shipping doesn't need logic. Just the passion of a wookie and a hut.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I dunno if it's my monitor, but it was hard to figure out who said what. I assumed Tycho would be into Chewie on Jabba fucking, but after squinting it out I see those bubbles have a little bit of orange tint.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't understand the first speech bubble. What are shippers?

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Relationshippers. People who fantasize romantic relationships between fictional characters, often where that relationship isn't canon, or sane.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Sick son's of...

It's short for 'relationship' but pretty much just means sex stories/plays/stop-motion between characters.

Like Kirk & Picard getting it on.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    UPS, FedEx, that sort of thing.
    I'm kind of eyeing you suspiciously right now, but at the risk of falling for a joke, I realize that not everyone knows the lingo for the pit of degeneracy that is the Internet...
    "Shipping" is when people take two (or more) characters from a work and make unsupported theories that those characters are in a relationship. Frequently this then appears in fan stories, art, etc. In the old days, this was called "slash fiction," because the pairings were usually written as "Kirk/Spock" to show which characters were in it. Now it's "shipping" because a relationship is much more involved and fandoms have really stepped up the amount of effort that goes into them.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Talk about a crack ship. Gabe's is on meth.

...besides, everybody knows ChewKanata is the OTP.

Edit: Lol this is great. I Googled 'ChewKanata' and first result was this https://khallion.deviantart.com/art/My-Boyfriend-587235726 (SFW)
    ...they really do look adorable together. Headcanon accepted!

ziddersroofurry on
  • InkarnitInkarnit Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I'm just here to say that I also had no idea what a shipper was and was trying to think of what I could have missed that made any of this stuff make sense. I have now learned about "shipping" though I had previously heard of "slash fiction" or "fan-fic." I just didn't know it had evolved.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Inkarnit wrote: »
    I'm just here to say that I also had no idea what a shipper was and was trying to think of what I could have missed that made any of this stuff make sense. I have now learned about "shipping" though I had previously heard of "slash fiction" or "fan-fic." I just didn't know it had evolved.

There's not necessarily any additional fiction involved. Shipper can just refer to a person rooting for two characters to hook up.

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular

It hasn't really evolved, though, as it's basically been this way for at least as long as I've been using the internet (which brings us back to '03), the circles it was in were just less public, especially the ones where you had the out there ships like the one presented in today's comic. You're just one of today's "lucky" 10,000 for the term "shipping". It's also probably something that you've done with other shows and not known there was a name for it, as it also applies to canon relationships, though most people who consider themselves "shippers" are stanning/shipping a relationship that isn't yet canon.

steam_sig.png
    I don't subscribe to the whole Chewie/Maz thing. Mostly out of logistics. Maz is tiny compared to Chewbacca, and from what I understand, a wookie penis has a truly remarkable circumference.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    To give a sense how long the term shipping has been in use; one of the big debates for fanfic of the early seasons of the Pokemon TV series was whether or not one supported the "Rocketship" (the romantic pairing of Jesse and James from Team Rocket).
    Technically, this is a canon ship (in one of the official manga spin-offs)
    t7zrzb7cetog.png

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    Thanks internet!

donavannj wrote: »

It hasn't really evolved, though, as it's basically been this way for at least as long as I've been using the internet (which brings us back to '03), the circles it was in were just less public, especially the ones where you had the out there ships like the one presented in today's comic. You're just one of today's "lucky" 10,000 for the term "shipping". It's also probably something that you've done with other shows and not known there was a name for it, as it also applies to canon relationships, though most people who consider themselves "shippers" are stanning/shipping a relationship that isn't yet canon.

Yeah. Shipping is just imagining two or more characters (or people) together. People have been doing that since people first became people. I'm sure back in the cave human days Oogla looked at one of Ugs cave drawings and thought, 'Atouk would be so much better with Lar'.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to the whole Chewie/Maz thing. Mostly out of logistics. Maz is tiny compared to Chewbacca, and from what I understand, a wookie penis has a truly remarkable circumference.

Er I'm pretty sure there are more than a few big guys with smaller companions out there who make it work. That and given it's not like we have anything official to go by you're basing your estimate on non-canon data, anyways.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Um not to deviate too far from the comic but aren’t Jesse and James related?

Edit: they are not. Huh wonder where that idea came from in my head.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kagera wrote: »

If you cover their hair, they do have almost the exact same face.

That's true of a LOT of characters on the show, there's really only a few faces and it's the hair or hats that identify characters, but since they always appear together you start to notice them first.

Hevach on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kagera wrote: »

That's actually a common folklore, dating back to the late 1800s. Some believed they were the same man.

MichaelLC on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

The first time I read that comic, like a decade ago, I was in a computer library at college and I laughed so hard I cried. God damn it slew me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    I had the same reaction. I think I was at work on my lunch break, and people must've thought I was losing it. Had a case of the giggles for the rest of that day.