As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Mind you, if there was some crazy way they could take the original AC and refine the experience...

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Rumours are, outside of Origins being some giant financial failure, it's the start of a Mediterranean trilogy focussed on the Augustus era. I am so for this it makes me giddy.

Given how Origins was structured I'm guessing it'll have a large land mass or two as well as sea faring. I'm up for the games adding landmasses onto the current Egypt, like maybe a loading screen between them, but it would be cool to have access to most of the Mediterranean and it's coast by the third game, each installment building on the last, with neat changes to existing landmasses between games based on events. I would love that, please do that ubisoft

Prohass on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm down for whatever they want to do with AC as long as it plays, and is structured the same as Origins. Except maybe the combat. Fix the combat a little bit so that it isn't clunky, and parry isn't useless.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm down for whatever they want to do with AC as long as it plays, and is structured the same as Origins. Except maybe the combat. Fix the combat a little bit so that it isn't clunky, and parry isn't useless.

Yeah combat could use some refinement. I mean its not the god of counters other AC combat was, but as you say parry is effectively hard and completely useless compared to just dodging and button mashing. I do like all the weapon types, though spear could probably also deserve a design pass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Funny I really like spear. Especially when fighting on horse back. My current layout is to have a sword weapon as my main on foot weapon (either straight or curved) and then a spear for mounted combat.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Funny I really like spear. Especially when fighting on horse back. My current layout is to have a sword weapon as my main on foot weapon (either straight or curved) and then a spear for mounted combat.

Maybe mounted is where they work best. But like on foot combat Straight sword is king. Though the two hand mallot weapon really wrecked shit when I had to do it in the arena.

I do have to give kudos the various weapon types play differently and change slightly how you play, though of course parrying is still pretty garbo.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Shield charging is better than parrying.

captaink wrote: »

Shield charging, the light combo, weapon charging, literally just side stepping. Parrying needed to have instant kill added to it to make it as useful as any other option.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I want them to get rid of enemy level for the next game. I don't think it added anything worthwhile to the game and made certain things worse.

The biggest offender is assassinations not working on some of the stronger enemies. The whole brand is built around the signature hidden blade stabbing. Even at lvl 38 with my assassin's blade maxed out I still encountered in an outpost a big guy that I sneaked upon but couldn't assassinate. All I got what a sneak attack that took out a small percentage of his healthbar. This forced me to enter combat if I wanted to complete the outpost goals.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I want them to get rid of enemy level for the next game. I don't think it added anything worthwhile to the game and made certain things worse.

The biggest offender is assassinations not working on some of the stronger enemies. The whole brand is built around the signature hidden blade stabbing. Even at lvl 38 with my assassin's blade maxed out I still encountered in an outpost a big guy that I sneaked upon but couldn't assassinate. All I got what a sneak attack that took out a small percentage of his healthbar. This forced me to enter combat if I wanted to complete the outpost goals.

There were like maybe 4 captains like that in the whole game. And they all had a similar hulking gladiator look. I actually appreciated most of the targets I needed to kill could be sniped, shanked, or otherwise executed as I saw fit.

I didn't mind the levels because it kept me locked into areas to finish them and move on. I realize other people might not have my disease though.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Shield charging, the light combo, weapon charging, literally just side stepping. Parrying needed to have instant kill added to it to make it as useful as any other option.

I have a lot of trouble getting the charged heavy to hit. Most weapons don't quite have the range, and if you get in range, you get popped.

I have a lot of trouble getting the charged heavy to hit. Most weapons don't quite have the range, and if you get in range, you get popped.

It helps if you have an instant charge legendary. You can basically pop it off at will, really helpful for the lumbering big dudes with axes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Pretty sure whether you assassinate something with your hidden blade is based on it's damage, via upgrade level. The big hulking guys have a TON of HP and even a fully upgraded hidden blade can't instakill them. This was probably by design.

I am fine with it, though I wish hidden blade was a piece of gear so I could get legendary affixes for it. I want a hidden blade that poisons, or causes bleed, or whatever.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Pretty sure whether you assassinate something with your hidden blade is based on it's damage, via upgrade level. The big hulking guys have a TON of HP and even a fully upgraded hidden blade can't instakill them. This was probably by design.

I am fine with it, though I wish hidden blade was a piece of gear so I could get legendary affixes for it. I want a hidden blade that poisons, or causes bleed, or whatever.

That would make sense if you could fight with the blade like in the ezio games, but since in this one you only use it for stabs, there are very rare times it doesn't outright kill, so the only worthwhile legendary would be poison.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I think the change that brings everyone up to your level but still keeps enemies higher level to gate progression is a good fix for me.

Am also really looking forward to future content in this world in this new system.

Some hard time in the gladiator arena earning outfits got me over my fear of the battle system, but yes dodging or just using the high-damage adrenaline attack are still superior to parrying. I DO like getting a well-timed parry with the shields that put people to sleep though. Kind of funny to watch them drift off mid-battle. "What, am I boring you?" Ultimately, if I'm in combat in a fort or something though it basically means I messed up in my stealthing.

Also, pro-tip: For the hulking guys that resist insta-kill assassinations, you can just prick them with a berserk blade and then step back and watch the carnage until their heart explodes. I mean, I fought at least one in sweaty combat, but found the berserk method to be more fun.

Finished the game last night was good fun, though I swear it seemed to be setting up and I'll spoiler.

That the assassins have two distinct branches? Like aya's group and bayeks group based on who leads them would in my opinion take on different philosophies.

Also man fighting as Aya against septimus was a fucker, like that's unfair game to let me level up one assassin and not the other.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Just picked this up on NYE. Love the changes to everything. Engine, combat, etc. A+, can't stop playhing.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Finished the game last night was good fun, though I swear it seemed to be setting up and I'll spoiler.

That the assassins have two distinct branches? Like aya's group and bayeks group based on who leads them would in my opinion take on different philosophies.

Also man fighting as Aya against septimus was a fucker, like that's unfair game to let me level up one assassin and not the other.
    What if the Order of the Ancients is a red herring and the next two games show how a splinter faction becomes the Templar predecessors?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Did the Gift From the Gods quest, yeah, that's some sweat gear. Also killed all but the final two Phylakes.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    I also just did the Gift from the Gods quest.

Question:
    Is this explained later on in the game? What the hell was that? Also why do I have a Chocobo now? Was it just some kind of Final Fantasy crossover?

Also - do they eventually explain the messenger thing I found in the pyramid hunting the Hyena?

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It was simply a crossover with Square, a neat little Easter egg they added later after release.

Phylakes are much easier to kill when you attack on your Chocobo, especially the two level 40 bastards.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Everything is easier to kill when you're mounted. The combat system takes the extra momentum into account, so you do extra damage. When I didn't feel like being stealthy, I just said fuck it and charged into outposts on my horse. Took everyone out super quick!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Is anyone having weird stuttering/loading issues on PC? I fired this up after being away for a while, and I don't know if it's a patch or a dying hard drive (though this is the only game on that drive giving me issues) or what, but it's making the game unplayable.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Is it just me, but I'm really not digging the literal eagle vision in this game? Maybe it's just because I'm still pretty early on, but it seems impossible to tag guards that are either obscured or inside buildings which makes attempting to stealth into outposts and bases very frustrating and difficult.

edited January 2018
    The eagle vision gets better when you do more of the synchronization locations.

Capt Howdy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What I found amusing about the Gift from the Gods is how it goes from "plausible Assassin's Creed side mission thing" to "anime bullshit" in about 2 seconds.

And then I did
    the dream quest story mission
    a couple hours later and was amused by how it managed to also be over the top but still feel completely grounded in the established setting.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Is it just me, but I'm really not digging the literal eagle vision in this game? Maybe it's just because I'm still pretty early on, but it seems impossible to tag guards that are either obscured or inside buildings which makes attempting to stealth into outposts and bases very frustrating and difficult.

No lie, it takes a little bit of getting used to, but go with it, keep getting tower syncs, you'll be surprised how well it takes after a while.

I don't watch anime, so I didn't get that feeling during the cutscene. I also didn't know it was a XV tie in, so I was fairly confused at seeing Bahamut show up. The new Camel skin clarified everything pretty quickly. Haven't done the other quest yet.

Just did a quest that super fucking bummed me out. Dark stories all over. :(

Just did a quest that super fucking bummed me out. Dark stories all over. :(

I liked how this felt very personal through the whole game. Like your character never just kind of forgets the death of his son and several quests tie into the similar feeling of loss. And none of it felt edgelord or like hollow. It always felt earned.

Honestly it made the moments of humor better because in his incredibly serious game the main character takes time to critique someones whistling...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Agreed. Most games don't really reach out to me like this one has, the way it is ultimately connected to the same message.

I only wish this game had a big wikipedia setup like the other AC games had where I could look through it all.

A lot of that is thanks to Bayek's amazing voice actor. The guy really nails the part.

Agreed. Most games don't really reach out to me like this one has, the way it is ultimately connected to the same message.

I only wish this game had a big wikipedia setup like the other AC games had where I could look through it all.

Aren't they going to be adding an educational/tourist mode soon?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've been hearing mixed things about the PC version of Origins. Some saying it's unplayable because of the CPU load, others saying they had no issues. Anyone playing it on PC here?

-Loki- wrote: »
    I've been hearing mixed things about the PC version of Origins. Some saying it's unplayable because of the CPU load, others saying they had no issues. Anyone playing it on PC here?

I'm playing it on PC. Once I turned on V-Sync I haven't had any issues. I've got Skylake and a 1070, if that helps.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That's what I'm running. It's on Fanatical for 35% off. Might finally pull the trigger.

-Loki- wrote: »

I'm on PC, I play with nearly max everything @ 1920x1080 borderless window and I've not had an issue. Quite the opposite in fact compared to other AC games I've been praising this games engine for loading speed and stability so it's been nice. Been bug free too, no NPCs floating in the air or anything that I am used to from games like these.

I had a bug I wish I had recorded, where I shot an arrow at a Phylake riding a chariot, and he disappeared, so I turned around and his chariot was spinning around like a helicopter bashing itself against a couple of trees. Eventually the chariot disintegrated and he fell to the ground, almost completely dead.

edited January 2018
    Started laying it tonight. Just the first few quests to get the hang of the controls. Took me a while to figure out that the flat U looking key was the space bar. I'm used to games saying 'press space'.

Looks amazing. Defaulted to high, and I get a bit of slowdown in Siwa so I'll probably leave it where it set itself. Still looks amazing though.

edit - threw it on very high and it performs about the same.

-Loki- on