As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fire and Fury - Trump/Bannon Love is Over?

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    The Breitbart front page, and relevant comment pages, are absolutely fascinating right now, if you can filter out the screeching of chimps flinging poo at each other.

Yeah I've been pawing around that since the morning.

The stories are all getting a ton of comments. The main one about the book release is over 16k comments, with thousands more on similar stories.

The way the comments are structured, its hard to get an overall feel, but from the selection I've skimmed over (so you don't have to!):

1) Lots are adopting a sort of "wait and see" posture, clearly not sure what to make of this dispute and the various claims.

2) Lots are supporting Trump right away, and throwing Bannon under the bus.

3) Some are trying the "liberal fake news" angle, but with this being all over Breitbart itself, that line isn't going very far.

4) Some are saying "we need to stick together" without explicitly backing a person or group. Related to 3.

5) I haven't seen anyone favoring Bannon over Trump. Some people are holding up Breitbart as important to their movement and Bannon as loyal, but still subservient to, Trump.

Most of the stuff though is tangents of every sort though, petty flame wars and the like.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    The Breitbart front page, and relevant comment pages, are absolutely fascinating right now, if you can filter out the screeching of chimps flinging poo at each other.

The stories are all getting a ton of comments. The main one about the book release is over 16k comments, with thousands more on similar stories.

The way the comments are structured, its hard to get an overall feel, but from the selection I've skimmed over (so you don't have to!):

1) Lots are adopting a sort of "wait and see" posture, clearly not sure what to make of this dispute and the various claims.

3) Some are trying the "liberal fake news" angle, but with this being all over Breitbart itself, that line isn't going very far.

4) Some are saying "we need to stick together" without explicitly backing a person or group. Related to 3.

5) I haven't seen anyone favoring Bannon over Trump. Some people are holding up Breitbart as important to their movement and Bannon as loyal, but still subservient to, Trump.

Most of the stuff though is tangents of every sort though, petty flame wars and the like.

Read the full thread before posting. Brietbart comments or analysis thereof aren't needed in this thread.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Read the full thread before posting. Brietbart comments or analysis thereof aren't needed in this thread.

Ok, I'll refrain, but I think its on topic and relevant.

This thread is talking about the relationship between Bannon and Trump. What followers of both those people are opining matters a lot, since its those followers that gave both these men their power.

Are we allowed to discuss what republicans/alt-right are saying on the matter? Meaning, is it Breitbart specifically that is barred or the general discussion?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I mean, it seems that to a certain extent, the influence of the alt right in our government these days means that their response to what is going on here IS the story. And that the story is important. We all already were disgusted by Bannon and Trump, but this story is real and is to do with them falling out. Them falling out has real importance in terms of how it relates to the relationship between...

1) Trump and the alt right
    2) Bannon and the alt right
    3) The alt right and Breitbart

We might wish that these people didn't have a major influence in the day to day activities of the president of the United States, but they do. We might wish that the President didn't make major policy decisions in response to petty personal feuds and insults, but he does. We might wish that we didn't have to think about things like, "I wonder what Breitbart and their network is making of the beef between Trump and Bannon", in terms of what Trumps decisions might be over the next few weeks but we do.

How can we have a reasonable discussion using the standard rules of what is and is not good stuff to include in a politics thread, when the President and his cabinet does not make his decisions based on those factors? And instead is probably far more likely to be informed by logging on to Breitbart and doing just what Tycho? described above. Checking out the comments, stewing over a few fake articles.

Honestly, I think I'd argue that in terms of major US policy decisions, the state of the Breitbart comments is more important than say, a major report from a federal government agency.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I agree that what is x group thinking is relevant but "here's 20 comments from breitbart mouth breathers" is just a mess and doesn't really add anything. We're all free to venture there if we want to read the crazy.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Also says simply amazing things* about the White House security state in this administration.

*things which one would wish to be amazing

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'd be very interested in news reports that summarize the reactions rather than piecemeal outtakes of the actual reactions.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I don’t know who Axios are, but they’re saying Wolff taped his interviews with Bannon.

Which, if true, sort of blows the whole Wolff-is-a-known-liar argument out of the water.
    In some cases, the officials thought they were talking off the record. But what are they going to do now?
    Those officials are either lying or don't know how off the record works. Talking off the record is something that has to be agreed to. Either you know it was off the record because they agreed to go off the record or it wasn't.

History suggests that no one in the Trump Admin understands what "on the record" and "off the record" mean.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    One of the things in this book that made me really skeptical was the full length verbatim conversation between Bannon and Ailes.

Turns out my skepticism might have been misplaced.

Janice Min is a Well Connected Person.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I agree that what is x group thinking is relevant but "here's 20 comments from breitbart mouth breathers" is just a mess and doesn't really add anything. We're all free to venture there if we want to read the crazy.

But noone in the general media seems to be interested in reporting the things that actually influence the Trump administration, and why. I'd love to post links to detailed discussions of what the alt right is thinking, and exactly what fox and friends is reporting, and why they are doing that but people seem to be determined to pretend that this isn't what influences the president. Our President and his cabinet aren't a group of careful detailed thinkers studying reports, and detailed articles and summoning committees of experts. They literally ARE the angry people commenting on Breitbart that Breitbart is too leftist, and that Fox has been infiltrated by feminists.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Yeah, I think we can agree on this.
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in news reports that summarize the reactions rather than piecemeal outtakes of the actual reactions.

Yeah that was what I attempted to do, but a professional version would be better. Would such a thing be allowed, mods?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, since Bannon pretty much has nobody siding with him over Trump* (the only relevant bit of those "reaction analysis"), he decided that the best way to get back on the good graces of the big man was sucking dick ASAP:
    "The President of the United States is a great man -- you know, I support him day in and day out. Whether going through the country giving the Trump miracle speech or on the show or on the website, so I don't think you have to worry about that," Bannon said.
    Which Trump noticed:
    "I don't know, he called me a great man last night, so he obviously changed his tune pretty quick," Trump said Thursday, referring to Bannon's comments Wednesday night on his Sirius XM radio show in the wake of the firestorm ignited by a new book on the White House.

Bannon is going to have to suck a lot of dick to get back on Trump's good graces, not to mention that he will probably going to have to apologize to Kushner and Don Jr.

*"Bannon fears Mueller Drumpf, and SO WILL YOU!" doesn't count.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Pretty much. It was a fun 8 hours but Bannon quickly realized he isn't winning this one.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter much because we all know Trump is not one to let an insult go. He will demand grovelling and then never forgive him anyway.

That's been a whole problem with staffing for them since before the inauguration.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Pretty much. It was a fun 8 hours but Bannon quickly realized he isn't winning this one.
    Yep. And the damage to his brand and, more importantly, his access is probably permanent, Bannon is never getting close to the Trump admin again since he can't be trusted. I mean, in context, the guy that was leaking to Cernovich all the dirt on McMaster's "Syria Plans" with 150,000 troops (a complete fiction) was Bannon and that came a few days after McMaster kicked him out of the National Security Council.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2018
    Summaries of angry people’s views on the internet, produced by a news site or not, doesn’t strike me as very useful or helpful, especially if they’re from fucking Breitbart.

Polls and the like, sure, but just hey here’s what Phil from Bear Anus, Nebraska decided to vomit on to the comment pages of a website, probably not.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I'm not sure anyone's winning this one. It looks like burned bridges all round.

If he's actually seen the details of these stories then Trump must be feeling very, very lonely right now.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I'm not sure anyone's winning this one. It looks like burned bridges all round.

If he's actually seen the details of these stories then Trump must be feeling very, very lonely right now.

there is no way trump is reading this or any other book. he'll know what fox news reports along with whatever spin they offer and that'll be that. Everything else will be 'fake news' by dinner tomorrow.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Banon is either an idiot or has the memory of a gold fish, since Trump doesn't reward sycophancy (he expects it the same way you expect gravity to work). Like christ, Chris christie is an object lesson in why you don't suck up to the Dorito in chief.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Bear Anus, Nebraska is actually a fine town I’ll have you know. Everyone there thinks Phil is a real shithead though.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Summaries of angry people’s views on the internet, produced by a news site or not, doesn’t strike me as very useful or helpful, especially if they’re from fucking Breitbart.

Polls and the like, sure, but just hey here’s what Phil from Bear Anus, Nebraska decided to vomit on to the comment pages of a website, probably not.

This.

Also, the place to discuss what you think should be allowed to be discussed in the thread is in a PM to mods, not in the thread.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Ain’t over yet. Bannon may be trying to suck someone else’s dick for a change, but he was only one part of this book and everything I’ve seen so far indicates that more is true in the book than not. At least, parts have either been confirmed or partly confirmed with little of the dissenters offering anything as *evidence.

*yeah yeah, I know about the proving a negative fallacy.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Ain’t over yet. Bannon may be trying to suck someone else’s dick for a change, but he was only one part of this book and everything I’ve seen so far indicates that more is true in the book than not. At least, parts have either been confirmed or partly confirmed with little of the dissenters offering anything as *evidence.

*yeah yeah, I know about the proving a negative fallacy.

You know what, I'm glad to see trump and co being forced to try and proove a negative for a change!

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Breitbart's owners are discussing firing Bannon, and the White House has said they should consider it.

There aren't too many people jerking Bannon off for being a genius anymore, so he's probably just trying to save his job.

Not sure what he'd do without Breitbart. Shitpost on reddit or something I'd guess.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Breitbart's owners are discussing firing Bannon, and the White House has said they should consider it.

There aren't too many people jerking Bannon off for being a genius anymore, so he's probably just trying to save his job.

Not sure what he'd do without Breitbart. Shitpost on reddit or something I'd guess.

Probably go back to running his chinese gold farm.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Not that I like Breitbart or anything, but that's kinda scary/shady as fuck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Also, while this isn't resulting in the full on schism that I would have liked, Banon being made to eat shit and grovel before trump (behavior that the alt right would attribute to a "cuck") with the possibility of him being turfed so that the noble name of Brietbart won't be tarnished by association with him isn't an entirely bad second prize.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well this thing is barely 24 hours old. Give it a chance.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Undead Scottsman was warned for this.
    Gaddez wrote: »

Is that even a thing now that Blizzard essentially lets you turn gold into gametime and viceversa; essentially letting using buy gold directly from Blizzard.

Tube on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The publisher's response to the C&D?

Move the release date up to Friday.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I bet they are just mad they can put stickers on all of them saying, "THE BOOK THE PRESIDENT TRIED TO CENSOR!"

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Is that even a thing now that Blizzard essentially lets you turn gold into gametime and viceversa; essentially letting using buy gold directly from Blizzard.

It is if you can beat the price that blizzard sets on the exchange and can still pay the sweat shop.

• Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/01/04/mercer-issues-rare-public-rebuke-of-former-ally-bannon
    Stephen K. Bannon's main financial backer is formally cutting ties with the former Trump adviser.

In a new statement Thursday, billionaire conservative donor Rebekah Mercer said that she has not spoken to Bannon, the former White House chief strategist, in many months and that she continues to support President Trump.

"I support President Trump and the platform upon which he was elected," Mercer said. "My family and I have not communicated with Steve Bannon in many months and have provided no financial support to his political agenda, nor do we support his recent actions and statements."

[...]
    The article points out that Mercer holds a minority stake in Breitbart, so Bannon probably won't be chairman of Breitbart for long.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Honestly if all that comes from this is Bannon crashes and burns that still is pretty much a job well done by the author of this book and a service to our country.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This thread is not about world of warcraft

Maybe we need to start labelling these somehow

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular

Can we just take a minute to appreciate that it's specifically on a Friday now. It's like some kind of divine piss on Trump day.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Why is it always on Friday that interesting things happen with this President?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/01/04/mercer-issues-rare-public-rebuke-of-former-ally-bannon
    Stephen K. Bannon's main financial backer is formally cutting ties with the former Trump adviser.

In a new statement Thursday, billionaire conservative donor Rebekah Mercer said that she has not spoken to Bannon, the former White House chief strategist, in many months and that she continues to support President Trump.

"I support President Trump and the platform upon which he was elected," Mercer said. "My family and I have not communicated with Steve Bannon in many months and have provided no financial support to his political agenda, nor do we support his recent actions and statements."

[...]
    The article points out that Mercer holds a minority stake in Breitbart, so Bannon probably won't be chairman of Breitbart for long.

But she still intends to support Breitbart. The well-funded propaganda rag will live on with or without Bannon, unfortunately, and there is no shortage of white nationalist agitators to take his place. They may even manage to lure Ben Shapiro back to take up the mantle.

I'm not extraordinarily optimistic on the impact of this schism on the wider alt-right ecosystem, basically, as much as I am enjoying the humiliation of Steve Bannon by his prize racist president

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Oh nm. Sorry.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/they-thought-this-was-going-to-be-a-positive-book
    “The communications team urged all of the senior advisors to cooperate. They thought this was going to be a positive book for the President.”
    There is video in the link.

Trump really hires the best people.