As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    They posted again that they've received thousands of responses and are getting through them. I emailed from a second address just to make sure I didn't type something wrong. They did say as long as you email them today while the promo is live, you will get the deal. So even if it takes a day or two to get responses out to everyone, you'll still get it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's more the inherent "Oh God what if something went wrong?" when you don't get the confirmation email. I promise I've read through pretty much all the comments on that post by this point. ;P
    Also a bit disappointing that shipping can't be combined, so that makes the buying two plan a bit shoddy. Might have to proxy them instead to save $40 on shipping.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @ArcticLancer Make sure your email subject has a period on the end. I just re-sent an email with the period and got an immediate auto reply.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I have a Patriot 105, and I'm planning to use this to get a Sotar 2020.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I'm planning to get the Sotar 2020 to start practicing detail brushing, and probably an Xtreme. I'll give my old Patriot 105 to my dad for painting the wooden toys he's into making.
    I did get a email response almost immediately from sending the email, so that's good. Given the comments on Facebook about the overwhelming response, I'm not expecting to actually get these for a few months.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I sent an email without a period so I guess I'm boned. Oh well, there's other ways to get deeply discounted high quality airbrushes.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Can't recommend a Sotar enough. Game changer.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I painted things!

xg4nzGVl.jpg

Is that War of the Ring minis you're painting?

I'd love to do something like that, but it seems daunting. Maybe I'll just start with the Fellowship.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I sent an email without a period so I guess I'm boned. Oh well, there's other ways to get deeply discounted high quality airbrushes.

I'd imagine you're okay. It's more about getting the auto-response email, I expect. Can't imagine they're going to deny people on an ambiguous "period or not" situation.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular

I'd imagine you're okay. It's more about getting the auto-response email, I expect. Can't imagine they're going to deny people on an ambiguous "period or not" situation.

Yea, I sent an email without a period and got an auto-response that order details would be sent later. So I wouldn't worry about a period or not.

Separately, airbrush question! How much time / effort should be spent cleaning between switching colors? Typically I've been doing a repeated process of: put in cleaner, wipe out paint cup, put in cleaner, blow it out, repeat multiple times until comes out clear and cup is clean. This seems to use a lot of cleaner and takes a while. Any tips?

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    jrIfB2C.jpg

These are fun to paint!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Does this checker pattern look okay?

blXI6nw.jpg?2

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    My question is. How does it look from a distance how the mini might be seen 90% of the time, if used for play? Looks like good, smooth lines up close with only minor color spillover in tiny spots.

Looks good still when making the image smaller though :D

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My airbrush really didn't want to cooperate today, lots of spatter. Guess I'm doing regular brushwork for the rest of the armor bits. Blocked in a basecoat on the skin so I have some contrast when doing the armor.

5AoeHil.jpg

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    "I'll get you next time, HEMAN!"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Not my best work, but I was deliberately going fast instead of clean, since I have 30 more of these guys to do.

Painting ten of them to this level took me approximately three hours, which isn't bad overall.

mZA6CBo.jpg

Here's to my first ten rats of 2018, and let's see if I can meet my goal of painting 40 by the end of the month!

Arch on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So project one of 2018/end of 2017 finished. Fear the maulerfiend.

UW3Ex7S.jpg

3CcvgXU.jpg

rmi7zEJ.jpg

JvtAP1F.jpg

Sorry about the lighting I need to take pictures in better lighting. Dude had so many details it took forever to paint.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience with non-citadel base sprays?

I have Death Guard to paint and I'm looking for something to replace the Death Guard Green spray. The nearest GW store is an hour and a half from here and it's silly money to buy a can online (Yay Canada). Last resort I could put together an order straight from GW, but I'd need to spend $80 to avoid shipping costs.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sorry about the lighting I need to take pictures in better lighting. Dude had so many details it took forever to paint.

Put it in the fridge.

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    My question is. How does it look from a distance how the mini might be seen 90% of the time, if used for play? Looks like good, smooth lines up close with only minor color spillover in tiny spots.

How do I make the image smaller?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    J wrote: »
    jrIfB2C.jpg

These are fun to paint!

The thread where we all gawk at @J's boners.

Love the subtle use of green on the wood & leather.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

How do I make the image smaller?

Oh I literally just CTRL-Scrolled back to do that. But I meant if viewed from farther back it seems to look good which is what you want. A detail can look great up close, but if you can't even see the black lines separating the colors from a bit of a distance the effect fails. This is like one of the few things I can carry over from my design work other than color theory really.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Oh, I thought you meant the image I posted was too big. I'm not sure how to make those smaller. Photobucket used to do it for me, bhut Imgur doesn't

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I finally finished my sixth and last tactical squad. I'm trying to decide between scouts and devastators for my next assignment. Regardless, I'm taking a couple of weeks off.
    jXW0F1o.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    You could use a program like gimp to resize and do any colour corrections. They look fab, just remember blowing them up to 10 inches tall will show everything
    jqQMxT3.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah any painting app more competent than Windows Paint should do it and there’s any number of free ones; GIMP, Krita, & Paint.NET are the first that spring to mind. If you’re on tablet/mobile though you’ll probably need a separate app; surprisingly few free image apps for devices have a “resize this” button for some reason. Possibly because they feel their target audience is allergic to numbers?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ironically I mostly use ms paint if I just want to resize pictures. Windows 10 also comes with a photo editing app inbuilt.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    We could probably use some imgur instructions in the op. (not these I'm terrible and incompetent)

Just go in on imgur to the photo (view and edit post)
    L5ZUAgX.png?1
    Then the window has numbers in the upper right, and you can shrink and it will keep your proportions right.
    R9YnU59.png?1
    Hit apply/save and go back to the image, get the image url and post here :)

it lets you resize with locked scale and crop. Crop on /super big/ pictures seems to have a scaling issues and it will cut off some of your photo.

With that I present a "finished" shelf in my detolf, need a couple of touch ups and white felt for the shelf for the non rock minis to stand on. Yes I have to fix the obvious seam showing on the middle rock outcropping. It's burning a hole in my soul whenever I look at it for the moment.
    gBpLQ2m.jpg?2

First time using filler with foam to make terrain from scratch. It came out better than I thought it would and I learned a whole ton during the process to make for better stuff if I try again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    More diorama WIP shots...

k2r7xxn5fvpz.jpg
    qdg48xem73xe.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    jrIfB2C.jpg

These are fun to paint!

Loving that purple. What are you using?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So close! I need to figure out what color I want to make these imperial sector bases

5vvydtz5ttts.png

Edit: Bonus Khorne icon. I think my highlights look a lot less chunky

0y2gc9bupod6.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Inspired by how well they did on the table today, I primed and sprayed 30 rats, and put red on 15 of the models I need to paint for my main list.

1N0M8m3l.jpg

(Of course, I have about 40 more clanrats that are bare plastic....)

Arch on
  • Options
    9:30 PM last night
    "... I don't think I'm going to, or going to want to, paint the little yellow tips on the missile pod that I'd been considering.
    I know, instead I'll drill into the tips of each one, chamfer the hole, and file a rounded tip on a paperclip snippings to make actual tips for the rockets!"
    Successfully drills holes
    Snips and files down first paperclip piece
    "Fuck, right, I ran out of super glue earlier."

And that's how I stopped working on the mini this weekend. :P

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm going to need more context on this missle pod to understand in what universe that is more desirable than painting the missile tips.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ah-ha. Now you're starting to see why I'm terrible at this.

The train of thought was along the lines of "Yellow tips are going to look pretty dull and be annoying to paint. Imperfect circles are also going to stand out on a surface that basic. ... I wonder if I can add physical detail that would make sense without too much effort?"
    Whether or not this pans out ... well, we'll see.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options

These are fun to paint!

Loving that p4urple. What are you using?

Thanks! They are GW Paints

In order of use:
    Xerus Purple
    Coelia Greenshade
    Genestealer Purple
    Dechala Lilac

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I tried creating gradients if flesh time with a mini and i ended up with a guy that looks like a sealsick oompa loompa. I should really just buy a set of paints instead of buying colors piecemeal....

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    So I tried creating gradients if flesh time with a mini and i ended up with a guy that looks like a sealsick oompa loompa. I should really just buy a set of paints instead of buying colors piecemeal....

This I want to see.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    We could probably use some imgur instructions in the op. (not these I'm terrible and incompetent)

Just go in on imgur to the photo (view and edit post)
    L5ZUAgX.png?1
    Then the window has numbers in the upper right, and you can shrink and it will keep your proportions right.
    R9YnU59.png?1
    Hit apply/save and go back to the image, get the image url and post here :)

it lets you resize with locked scale and crop. Crop on /super big/ pictures seems to have a scaling issues and it will cut off some of your photo.

With that I present a "finished" shelf in my detolf, need a couple of touch ups and white felt for the shelf for the non rock minis to stand on. Yes I have to fix the obvious seam showing on the middle rock outcropping. It's burning a hole in my soul whenever I look at it for the moment.
    gBpLQ2m.jpg?2

First time using filler with foam to make terrain from scratch. It came out better than I thought it would and I learned a whole ton during the process to make for better stuff if I try again.

Is this better?

jXW0F1o.jpg?3

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.